• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How good will Doom 3 on Xbox be?

As much as I would like to play this on my PC I won't be. Will the Xbox version offer impressive grahics or will it be heavily scaled back?

HyperionX

Since Doom3 seems to be able to run on a GF4MX, an Xbox should be no problem. Though with only 64MBs of memory, visuals are probably the same as for the MX.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
It seemed pretty awesome at e3. I didn't play the PC version but, aside from resolution, I don't know how it could be much better.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Minotauro said:
It seemed pretty awesome at e3. I didn't play the PC version but, aside from resolution, I don't know how it could be much better.

Perhaps Framerate, Texture Detail, Shadow Resolution?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Minotauro said:
Quiet, you.

Hey, you asked for it ;)
I was gonna leave this thread alone :D

If the gameplay is there, it should not matter much anyway

COCKLES

being watched
Suikoguy said:
Hey, you asked for it ;)
I was gonna leave this thread alone :D

If the gameplay is there, it should not matter much anyway

Just as well the Xbox version has co-op that the PC one doesn't.

----

Banned
seismologist said:
It should be pretty good if your just looking to play the game. Dont expect the graphics to Wow you though.
Why? I played it at E3 and it's still one of the best looking Xbox games. Even if it's not up to the PC version, it's still going to look better than 90% of the Xbox games coming out this Fall/Winter. I'm not even interested in the PC version. I'll take Xbox Live and co-op.

epmode

stupid co-op mode. over live, even. i might have to get both versions. (and yes, i know about the co-op mod)

does the xbox port have a deathmatch mode? i haven't heard anyone mention it yet.

----

Banned
Of course the Xbox version has online deathmatch.

Bailey's Dad said:
As much as I would like to play this on my PC I won't be. Will the Xbox version offer impressive grahics or will it be heavily scaled back?
The only game on Xbox that is arguably better looking than Doom 3 for Xbox is Halo 2. If you don't think stuff like Chronicles of Riddick or Halo 2 look impressive, then you won't find Doom 3 for Xbox impressive either.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tre said:
Mouselook > controller.

That pretty much settles which version to get.

I dunno, the XBOX controller feels good enough these days that I could see someone preferring it over a mouse/keyboard setup. There are only a few games that wouldn't work well with a pad (fast paced games like UT and precision based games like Tribes).

I think Doom 3 on XBOX will simply have reduced texture resolution, lower framerates, split levels, and more.

siege

Banned
Xbox:
pinkyxbox.jpg

PC:
pinkypc.jpg

Brofist

I think they should have gone straight to Xbox 2 with it, but for those without a powerful enough PC to run the real version, this should be fine.

Justin

I had a chance to try it at E3 and it looked great. It is crazy they got it to look and play so well with the xbox hardware. It looks a lot like Riddick without the graphic problems and with much more detailed architecture.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
siege said:
Well, they haven't exactly released a whole lot of screenshots for the PC version.

That's true, but it is a rather unfair comparison...

For a better comparison of the two, just go watch the E3 2003 PC trailer and the 2004 XBOX trailer. You can clearly see the problems the box version has, but you can also see that it looks quite decent...

ill probably buy the pc version when it comes out, then sell it to get the xbox version for co-op later on.

or maybe ill just keep them both. :D

Top Bottom