• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many copies will Astrobot sell on PS5, lifetime?

How many copies of Astrobot will be sold on PS5, lifetime?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StueyDuck

It's not gonna do the numbers people hope it's will. But I hope its a big success. I just anecdotally don't know many others in my gaming circle who are getting or have gotten the game. And usually you can tell when a game is selling big numbers cause many psn friends will be playing that same game. Yes that's just anecdotally speaking, no science or math used, just an opinion.

It is cheaper to produce and make so even the 1-5 mil range is gonna be a huge success compared to something like TLOU2 where they had to basically sell spiderman numbers to be a big success.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Voted 6-10 millions, because for much more you need the Sony >100 million dollar marketing treatment or be Nintendo.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I voted 6-10 million, and that is me being very optimistic.

Those voting 20+ million must be on something. Super Mario Odyssey only managed that because it’s a highly rated Mario game that landed at the exact time to take advantage of the massive popularity of the Switch, further bolstered by the COVID gaming boom.

Last edited:
Voted 1 - 5 million. I'm willing to be totally wrong, but I don't see Astro Bot being a big game changer for PS5. This is a $60 title, and I think it's sales will be sluggish until it comes way down in price given the last title in this series was a giveaway with the PS5.

I don't have any doubts about the quality of the title, but it's released in the start of the busiest season for gaming and I don't think it's going to move much for now. Maybe years from now its lifetime will surpass 5 million copies, but I see it struggling to get there and borderline flopping upon release.

I may be totally wrong, and am willing to wear my proverbial dunce hat on this one if it turns out I'm all wet. I just haven't seen mainstream anticipation of this title and don't think it's going to be much of a factor in Sony's portfolio for the year.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I sincerely hope it will become the best selling game of all time on ps5.

But realistically I know it will be between 1 and 5 million. Anything above that, would be astounding.

tommib

Max 3-5 million. I don’t think this is the Uber blockbuster some people think it is. Which is probably a good thing.

Astro just isn’t Mario and doesn’t have the charisma and the brand power.

I am thinking about 3 to 4 million. Could be a little more. If it was on the Switch, you could triple that. People who tend to play games like this tend to be more of a Nintendo fan. I imagine the budget is quite small so that would be still a success.

Mahavastu

I see Astrobot closer to Crash Bandicoot than Ratchet & Clank in terms of gameplay. And was comparing only with PS4-5 games in terms of sales in recent hardware. Little Big Planet still is the closest comparison personally, and that gives me 6-7m mark.
I also expect 6-10mio.
Anyway, we know from the leaks that for example Sackboy did sell abysmal, despite being a great game targeting a very similar audience as Astrobot.

DrFigs

The reason I went high is that i think the word of mouth is incredible on this game. We don't really talk about it, but Astro's playroom is probably one of the most played games on the ps5, being that it came free with all of them. It's hard to imagine that just based off that alone, the sequel wouldn't do really well.

King Dazzar

I'd hope 11 to 15 isnt unreasonable considering the number of consoles that will sell and the massive positive praise its getting.

Skifi28

I went with 1-5. Despite how well received the game is by critics and enthusiasts, platformers that don't have Mario in the title just don't sell that well these days I'm afraid. I thought Sackboy was amazing too, but nobody else cared to buy it. This'll do better for many reasons, but I don't imagine anywhere near 10 million. I do hope I'm wrong though.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
1) Niche-Man 2 is the most expensive marketing cost with $45m.
2) Not every Nintendo game sells well.
1. Hard to believe, i remember that just the us tv spot for Spiderman 1 was ~10m and i don't think the rest of the world with other spots + billboards and much much more was less then 35m.
2. No, but the very similar Mario Galaxy does

1. Hard to believe, i remember that just the us tv spot for Spiderman 1 was ~10m and i don't think the rest of the world with other spots + billboards and much much more was less then 35m.
2. No, but the very similar Mario Galaxy does
Believe it, the insomniac leaks confirmed this, Niche man 2 with its $45m. in marketing is the most expensive one in that regard.

Hustler

All depends if they don’t put it on PS+ in a few years. But I voted 6-10 million, I think it’ll take awhile for ppl to make the shift from free game to paying for Astro bot. Great game so far from what I’ve played.

Can’t believe some are complaining about the game length.

protonion

Just for fun,

I checked the ps store. It has 7k ratings.
Black Myth has 80k and around 4 million sales (I think).

So 300k to 400k first day sales for Astrobot if we assume some kind of correlation.

I think it will go beyond 5 million.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
My estimates are more than Concord, but less than Wukong.

jm89

I've gone for 6-10 million. Might need some bundling to get to the higher end of that as platformers on playstation haven't really been big sellers in a while.

Even if it doesn't reach that, I hope it grows the audience for future platformers from Sony.

Sackboys big adventure sold like a million, and deserved so much more. That game alone revived my love for platformers.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
I'm currently on the big Octopus boss and played enough to say this is a fun game but it's very 'kiddy' and easy that I can see people skipping it.
I'm still voting for 6-10million, especially if it releases on the Switch 2. I think it might even pick up a few hundred thousand on PC as well.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I wonder, does purchasing the free games on PSN+ count towards game sales? They still get a purchase receipt email etc.

nial

How is Sony not doing a bundle with this game.
They might eventually, but is it really a system seller?
Sony stopped going hard on bundles this gen. Yes, I know both God of War Ragnarok and Spider-Man 2 got one on launch day, but then you have Horizon Forbidden West and Gran Turismo 7 (Japan only) that didn't even get one until half a year later.

Last edited:

Danny22

Neo Member
I think people are underestimating it. The critical acclaim pretty much assures its going to win 'game of the year' at this point. These two things combined, will give it a sales boost and long legs. And even it takes two sold 16 million.
Plus, the success will likely propel it to release on PC eventually as well. Plus, Sony won't put it on subscription for quite a while after what happened to forbidden west.
So,I'm going with 10+ million by the end of this year and 16-20 million overall lifetime.

Last edited:

Fahdis

I haven't bought a full priced game since 2015... and I bought Astro. I wait years for $10-$5 deals. This one is at least 20 Million easy.

Are people really expecting AstroBot to sell much better than Black Myth Wukong? That I gotta see, especially for a cutesy platformer. We’ll see. Hoping it sells really well.

20m if they create an Astro Bot PS5 bundle. And not just a basic bundle. Astro Box art on the console box and the Astro themed controller.
$449 Digital PS5
$549 Disk PS5

All ready to go this holiday season.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Sony stopped going hard on bundles this gen. Yes, I know both God of War Ragnarok and Spider-Man 2 got one on launch day, but then you have Horizon Forbidden West and Gran Turismo 7 (Japan only) that didn't even get one until half a year later.

Sony has only had 3 holiday seasons so far and generally you won't have a bundle in the first holiday season.

Not sure there is enough sample size to suggest that Sony isn't focused on bundles now.

nial

Sony has only had 3 holiday seasons so far and generally you won't have a bundle in the first holiday season.

Not sure there is enough sample size to suggest that Sony isn't focused on bundles now.
Compared to every gen before? They have definitely stopped going hard on them.
I think Astro Bot works much better around Christmas season, tho. People are forgetting that it's still early September.

yurinka

I think Astro Bot won't outsell the over 60M+ units sold (and counting) of Astro's Playroom. xDD

But I think will outsell by far all Crash, Spyro, Jak, Ratchet and LBP/Sackboy games. May reach 10M+.

Are people really expecting AstroBot to sell much better than Black Myth Wukong?
No. I think it's nonsensical to expect it to reach over 15M. Over 10M would already be surprising, it's already maybe too optimistic.

Last edited:

skit_data

I voted 11-15 million, might be a bit optimistic but to me Astro Bot is pretty much a game that should be considered somewhat essential in every PS5 owners collection.
I cannot really imagine anyone not having a good time playing the game.

Top Bottom