• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much more powerful is the PSP to the DS?

jiggle

I'll take the bait.

quisquose said:
The PSP is defeated before it's even launched.

-misrepresentation of price...people excited by the prospect of getting one for $185. will then be disappointed to learn that you need to buy an extra battery, charger, and memory stick to make it be a practical usable system. TRUE PRICE > $250.

PS1/PS2/Gamecube requires the purchase of memory card, or you can't save.
Xbox requires purchase of remote, or you can't watch DVDs (without modification anyway).
GBA(not SP) requires AAA batteries and/or purchase of rechargeable battery.

None of them came with all those important extras. We were all duped by their MSRP!!

-two hour battery life...means a need to switch out a battery every two hours of playtime. and to further keep the battery life from diminishing, one needs to keep the volume and brightness at 50%

The announced battery life is 4-5 for games I believe. Unless you know otherwise, let's leave the speculation until Dec 12's afternoon. But you keep covering your ears/eyes.

- $50. games

Japanese price after tax, which is the same as DS.

quisquosewned itself

I agree.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
garrickk said:
I like the car analogy above, except:

PSP is a sports car with a 4 gallon tank. Drive in circles around gas stations - really fast.

DS is a station wagon with a camper trailer in tow. More utility, possibly more fun depending on what you're looking for, but not as sexy or powerful.

You can have sex in both cars, but the sports car will attract better looking women

mumu

jiggle said:
The announced battery life is 4-5 for games I believe. Unless you know otherwise, let's leave the speculation until Dec 12's afternoon. But you keep covering your ears/eyes.
To be fair those are numbers by the SONY marketing department. Nobody knows what game they used, might be Ridge Racer, might be some 2D Mahjong game. I think the battery life is gonna be around 2-5h for games, depending on the game and screen/volume settings. Not that it really matters though because i know quite a few people who will be statisfied with 2h RR on the go.

AniHawk

Imagine if God took all his power, all the power of the Justice League of America, The Avengers, and the X-Men combined, and put them into a handheld. Then you'd be close to how powerful the PSP is.

DS is Forbrush Man.

mosaic

go eat paint
Surprised no one has chimed in with a technical style response.

The PSP is powered by an R4000 processor running at 333Mhz, has 32MB of main memory, a set of custom chips for video and audio, and a UMD format that can store 1.8GB of data

The DS is powered by an ARM9 processor running at 66Mhz, has an additional ARM7 running at 33Mhz (for GBA games), 4MB of main memory, and a cartridge based format that can store up to 1 gigabit (1/8 GB or 128MB) of data.

So, in terms of pure technical power, it really is like comparing the PS2 to the Nintendo 64. Actually, the best way to think of the DS is as a system with N64 quality 3D capability and GBA/SNES quality 2D (with more processor power to push more sprites).

I know I'm going to enjoy games like Mario 64, Advance Wars, Animal Crossing, and yes, even Metroid Hunters on the DS, but there's no doubt that PSP games will look and sound better and probably offer more features (just owing to more processor power, more memory, and more storage space). The PSP is the system for the graphics whores, while the DS will likely totally own with all of its 1st party exclusives (like the GBA does now).

Price is a good equalizer, but not pertinent to the thread title. Nintendo says DS games will retail for around $30, and the system itself costs $150. Games for the PSP are going on sale in Japan for between $40-$52 (Ridge Racers, cha ching) and the unit itself costs $200+.

tenchir

Let's see the pros and cons for each.
> 1 pt
>= .5 pt

Battery Life: DS > PSP
We still don't know the exact number for PSP, but from the silence from Sony concerning battery life, it's likely 2-6 hours depending on what it does(simple vs complex games) compared to 6-10 hours for DS.

Durability: DS >= PSP
PSP has moving parts and seems to be heavier than DS. Then again, DS has two screens.

Media: PSP > DS
The UMD has far more space than DS cart.

Loading time: DS > PSP
I don't need to explain this one.

WiFi: PSP = DS
They both are tied in this, it's up to the developer to decide what they want to do with it.

Game lineup: DS >= PSP
DS has the edge for launch games over PSP, but who knows over the long run.

Graphic: PSP > DS
PSP is likely 10 times more power than DS. But we don't know what the DS is truly capable off since Nintendo didn't give us the specs, and Sony tends to inflate their specs.

Audio: PSP > DS
PSP still has DD 7.1 right? Even without DD(that probably at most 5% of us will use), it will have CD quality audio.

Controls: DS >= PSP
They both have the same number of buttons. The DS has touch screens that can be used as analog controls or extra buttons, while PSP has a traditional analog stick.

Looks: PSP >= DS
They both look great, but PSP edges overall for sexiness.

Screens: PSP = DS
Two screens versus Wide-screen(is it 16:9??). I really can't decide on this.

Extras:
PSP = Can play audio/video from UMD and memory sticks.
DS = Built in chat. Can play GBA games.

DS = 3.5, PSP = 3.5, tie = 2
Hmmmm.

edit: rethought some stuff.

mumu

tenchir said:
PSP still has DD 7.1 right?
Using 2 speakers? How is that supposed to work. Even if it had 7 speakers, how could you tell the difference to regular stereo?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
mumu said:
Using 2 speakers? How is that supposed to work. Even if it had 7 speakers, how could you tell the difference to regular stereo?

I think it was only possible when using some kind of special headphones.

mumu

Well i don't carry my stereo around when i go riding the bus or whatever :) But seriously, can the PSP do 7.1 encoding (regardless of any output)? I have a very fuzzy memory about that feature being canned.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
tenchir said:
Or hooking it up to your surround sound system.

OK, I thought it was for headphones only. Even so, hooking up your PSP to a surround sound system would feel weird. You got this magnificent sound, and you're still stuck with a small screen. :/

tenchir

Seems like 7.1 audio is canned, I don't see it on PSP faq on ign.com, no mention of it and there doesn't seem to be any output connector for DD.

Elios83

quisquose said:
The PSP is defeated before it's even launched.

You wish :)

quisquose said:
-misrepresentation of price...people excited by the prospect of getting one for $185. will then be disappointed to learn that you need to buy an extra battery, charger, and memory stick to make it be a practical usable system. TRUE PRICE > $250. !

Rotfl. First: at 189 USD (converting yen to usd) PSP is BUNDLED with a 32 MB Memory stick. 149 is the TRUE price of the system alone. Second: you are assuming a price for an import console. There's no reason to believe PSP shlould cost more in the States than Japan. In fact, Sony tends to keep costs low in a market as important as the noth american one is. Look who's talking about misrepresentation.

quisquose said:
-two hour battery life...means a need to switch out a battery every two hours of playtime. and to further keep the battery life from diminishing, one needs to keep the volume and brightness at 50%

Two? Who said two? Sony stated that battery life for games should range from 4 to 8 hours. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. But surely you cannot go stating around that it will be 2 hours AS A FACT the way you did. Morebover, PSP battery is just WAY bigger than the one in the Nintendo DS (1800 MaH). It lasts less because PSP is so much more powerful and with a better screen than the cellphone-like visual gaming experience DS offers.

quisquose said:
- $50. games

Misrepresentation of price part 2. Games will cost about $40. Almost ad DS ones.

quisquose said:
PSPwned itself

No more of these stupid topics please!

Lol, your trolling is just embarassing you AND the NintendoDS.
You owned yourself. No more stupid posts full of LIES from you would be appreciated.

Elios83

cybamerc said:

According to last info, yes. But IIR at E3 Hirai mentioned 8 hours for less demanding games (I don't think any game will last 8 hours by the way).

I agree tough, 4-6 is more accurate.

Brofist

tenchir said:
Screens: PSP = DS
Two screens versus Wide-screen(is it 16:9??). I really can't decide on this.

16:9 is the aspect ratio, not actual size. You can't compare the DS screens to the PSP in terms of quality, more like PSP>>>>>>DS

tenchir said:
Durability: DS >= PSP
PSP has moving parts and seems to be heavier than DS.

PSP
Dimensions (WxDxH) 6.7 in x 2.91 in x 0.91 in
Weight 8.36 oz

Nintendo DS
Dimensions (WxDxH) 5.85 in x 3.33 in x 1.13 in
Weight 8.84 oz

Brofist

quadriplegicjon said:
the only reason why i am not getting a PSP at launch is cause i dont trust sony launch systems. :/

pretty valid reason I'd say. Only thing I'd say is spring for the replacement warrenty (always good on handhelds anyway). Think about it one good drop would take out any handheld (except the GBA SP maybe, damn tank it is)

hirokazu

Elios83 said:
According to last info, yes. But IIR at E3 Hirai mentioned 8 hours for less demanding games (I don't think any game will last 8 hours by the way).

true, he mentioned 8, but he did not mention that was referring to gameplay.

Unison

Chances are that if battery life is as much an issue as everyone makes it out to be, there will be a revised PSP within a year or so that will largely resolve the battery life issue.

Brofist

Unison said:
Chances are that if battery life is as much an issue as everyone makes it out to be, there will be a revised PSP within a year or so that will largely resolve the battery life issue.

More like a revised battery, which would be simple enough.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Unison said:

That would be a very bad strategy for a new player like Sony in the Nintendo dominated handheld market.

Since the battery is replaceable, they can just work on a bigger battery trying to keep the cost of this extra battery down and maybe bundling it with future PSPs (instead of the regular battery) and with games while also selling it as an accessory in stores: say a 2,400-3,600 mAh battery (1.5-2x the capacity as the current PSP battery).

tenchir

kpop100 said:
16:9 is the aspect ratio, not actual size. You can't compare the DS screens to the PSP in terms of quality, more like PSP>>>>>>DS

Still, the quality of the screen isn't enough of an advantages over the things you can do with 2 screens. What can you do with widescreen that you can't with dual screens? and vice versa? Not to mention that DS has a touch screen. I would have giving the advantage to the DS, but people would bitch out it.... and that both handheld wouldn't be tied.

PSP
Dimensions (WxDxH) 6.7 in x 2.91 in x 0.91 in
Weight 8.36 oz

Nintendo DS
Dimensions (WxDxH) 5.85 in x 3.33 in x 1.13 in
Weight 8.84 oz

Kay, the DS is heavier, but the PSP still has moving parts. It has a laser AND and motor that can burn out..... remember the quality of the PS1 and PSP2?

edit: For battery life, found this on IGN

How long is the battery life of the PSP?

Sony Computer Entertainment has made measurements of the PSP's abilities, based on technical standards and in-game performance of work-in-progress games. On October 27, 2004, the company announced that the typical battery life for the PSP will be between 4 and 6 hours for games, with 4-5 hours for video viewing. These numbers, according to SCE, were determined with the system's luminance set to maximum (180 cd/m2) and minimum (80 cd/m2), volume set to half the maximum level, headphones used instead of speakers and wireless LAN not in use.

SCE has described its 1,800mAh battery to be able to power the unit for as long as typical battery-based portable electronics, which would include portable DVD and MP3 players as well as other game systems. At E3 2004 in May, SCE estimated the PSP's battery life to run between 2 1/2 and 10 hours. The PSP's various CPUs are scalable, and usage of the UMD disc drive may depend between different types of games and game engines.

So with using headphone at half-volume, no wifi, luminance set to either minimum or maximum, you get 4-6 hours for games and 4-5 hours for video viewing. There was some comments from Kaz that games like Ridge Racer/GT4 will drain the battery life faster than a graphically un-intensive game.

tenchir said:
WiFi: PSP = DS
They both are tied in this, it's up to the developer to decide what they want to do with it.

I'd give the DS a slight edge in WiFi. PSP Wifi wont get as much use since it drains batteries. But I guess that would go under battery.

On DS WiFi multiplayer games are quickly becoming the norm. It helps that the system launches with a multiplayer demo right out of the box.

seismologist said:
I'd give the DS a slight edge in WiFi. PSP Wifi wont get as much use since it drains batteries. But I guess that would go under battery.

On DS WiFi multiplayer games are quickly becoming the norm. It helps that the system launches with a multiplayer demo right out of the box.

Proprietary wireless protocol != Wi-Fi

So far the DS has no confirmed Wi-Fi games, Animal Crossing is rumored though, and other companies are said to be working on games that use it. PSP already has titles using it I believe, I know there's the MMORPG and some talk of wireless multiplayer for certain games. So PSP seems to have the head start on Wi-Fi. The multiplayer you mention is the short range wireless that Nintendo made up themselves, it's a lot like Bluetooth. This won't go online or connect a router at all.

Secondly, Wi-Fi is going to significantly drain the battery for both systems when put to use. How much? No one really knows yet.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
tenchir,

DS screens are 256x192 resolution each. (256x192)x2 = 98304 pixels total

PSP screen is 480x272 resolution = 130560 pixels total

Hence, PSP has pixels to do everything that DS does on 2 screens. And quite a bit more. Barring touchscreen interaction, of course, but you covered that under your 'controls' heading so I assume it shouldn't really apply in this particular evaluation.

And don't overplay the arguments about low quality PS1 and PS2 units. The sell through of those devices just doesn't support the degree to which you and others wish to portray them as shoddy products.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
seismologist said:
does PSP have short range wireless? I hardly ever hear about it.
No real surprise, considering how clueless you generally are about the PSP, more intent on spreading FUD than anything else.

What the hell do you think Wifi is? IT IS SHORT RANGE WIRELESS. DS AND PSP BOTH HAVE IT.

kaching said:
No real surprise, considering how clueless you generally are about the PSP, more intent on spreading FUD than anything else.

What the hell do you think Wifi is? IT IS SHORT RANGE WIRELESS. DS AND PSP BOTH HAVE IT.

Eh, I misled him a bit, I'm pretty sure he means the low battery consumption wireless that DS has. That's meant strictly for multiplayer in short ranges, not as versatile as Wi-Fi.

tenchir

DS screens are 256x192 resolution each. (256x192)x2 = 98304 pixels total

PSP screen is 480x272 resolution = 130560 pixels total

Hence, PSP has pixels to do everything that DS does on 2 screens. And quite a bit more. Barring touchscreen interaction, of course, but you covered that under your 'controls' heading so I assume it shouldn't really apply in this particular evaluation.

I am not just going by size of screen, but what you can do with them. Yeah, the touch screen goes to control . But still, I still don't considered having wide screen isn't enough to edge over what you can do with DS.

kaching said:
And don't overplay the arguments about low quality PS1 and PS2 units. The sell through of those devices just doesn't support the degree to which you and others wish to portray them as shoddy products.

I am on my second PS2 and on my third PS1. But I am not using personal experience here. For PSP, you still have moving parts, you still have a laser and motor that have definite lifespans.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
tenchir said:
I am not just going by size of screen, but what you can do with them. Yeah, the touch screen goes to control . But still, I still don't considered having wide screen isn't enough to edge over what you can do with DS.

I think the obsession with widescreen is a little farfetched. It's only main plus is that it makes it easier and quicker for movies to be transitioned to the home market. But somehow along the way, the idea formed that widescreen was somehow techinically superior to 4:3. The PSP doesn't really need widescreen, unless Sony wants movies to transition from the theaters to the UMD more quickly, but so far, there are no theatrical movies that I know of that are giong to go to UMD (That is, at the moment).

The biggest reason for widescreen on the PSP, IMO, is the fact that it's "cool" at the moment for 16:9 to be a screen aspect ratio; Yet another decision to make the PSP more aesthetically pleasing to the masses.

I'm not complaining about the screen or anything; just analysing why they made it like they did.

And now I'm rambling. >_>

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
tenchir, what you can do with your screen real estate is directly related to how much of it you have. You simply have more with the PSP than you do with the DS. Nothing stopping a PSP dev from subdividing the screen for a dual screen effect, not unlike the DS.

And the DS has metal contact points for the carts/cards you insert to interact with the hardware. Friction, and any foreign matter that comes in contact with those can contribute to their disfunction over time.

Darth - he was already talking out of his ass before you tried to clarify things. There's no point in distinguish one or the other protocol as the "short range wireless" on his part because they both are.

Great I understand and all, but that still leaves the question unanswered, but please do it for me, as I was curious myself (hence why I didn't answer him). Will the PSP to PSP connection end up draining the battery much like the PSP -> Router connection? Since they are both using the same device to connect, and I would assume the same protocol, just in a different mode.

Amir0x

Banned
I think in terms of screen, it's no contest. It's not about what the DS can do being a touch screen. Having a touch feature is not a "pro or con", it doesn't guarantee that your games will be better or worse. It does guarantee some level of innovation, but innovative things can be just as crappy as non-innovative products, so again this doesn't indicate a positive on the DS part (or the PSP part, for that matter).

What puts the PSP over the top, then, is screen quality. Because no matter where you stand, there's no denying that the screen has an astounding level of crispness and beauty to it, and it provides a much better area to display those high-end visuals that the PSP uses. The DS has two screens, but they're still using a resolution much lower than the PSP and non-widescreen specs and it does distract from the overall quality of said screens.

Amir0x

Banned
seismologist said:
PSP loses durability for having a large exposed highly expensive screen that you need to protect.

I agree to this, although it's lessened somewhat with the bundle as you get a PSP case.

Miburou

From what I understand, widescreen more accurately simulates a human's field of vision than 4:3 does. Of course, if it's a 3rd person game with a lot of vertical movement that we're talking about, then it might not matter much.

And how durable are touchscreens? Any chance that a part of the touchscreen will stop registering inputs after extended use?

Oh, and ignore gigadent. He'll switch sides and become a PSP fanboy as soon as it's released, just like he did with the PS2.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DarthWufei said:
Will the PSP to PSP connection end up draining the battery much like the PSP -> Router connection? Since they are both using the same device to connect, and I would assume the same protocol, just in a different mode.
Yes, I would expect power usage to be much the same in either adhoc (psp to psp) or infrastructure (psp to router/access point) mode, since it must maintain the same bandwidth and broadcast range in either mode.

Top Bottom