• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How often do you remember a game's story?

DryvBy

I've been trying to get back into Horizon Forbidden West and I just don't have any clue what is going on. I barely remember what even happened in the first game. I also felt the same was with the newer God of Wars games where these long winded stories aren't that interesting. However I remember most of even the most minor points of game like Witcher 3 or Kingdom Come Deliverance.

Are there games you've paid attention to and can't really remember anything about the story a few months after playing?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I've been trying to get back into Horizon Forbidden West and I just don't have any clue what is going on. I barely remember what even happened in the first game. I also felt the same was with the newer God of Wars games where these long winded stories aren't that interesting. However I remember most of even the most minor points of game like Witcher 3 or Kingdom Come Deliverance.

Are there games you've paid attention to and can't really remember anything about the story a few months after playing?

To be fair this is just an example of shit writing, their are plenty of games who's story's I will always remember even decades later.

From Skies of Arcadia to Ar Tonelico 2, it's just that recently games have shit writing, this is why things feel inconsequential and you forget them, because effectively they are.

Roberts

Well, I definitely remember movie stories better even though I probably average 150-200 movies a year.

Usually I don't remember stories for open world games, because you do a lot of side activities and after a few years it all becomes one big blur. I couldn't tell you what any of the Assassin's Creed (except maybe Origins) games were about even at the gunpoint. Mostly I just remember games that have great writing like everything Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert have written.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Use story recap videos. I imagine you've got more important things going on in your life to occupy your mind. It's fine to not remember every detail of every game you play. Especially games with 50+ hour narratives.

DryvBy

To be fair this is just an example of shit writing, their are plenty of games who's story's I will always remember even decades later.

From Skies of Arcadia to Ar Tonelico 2, it's just that recently games have shit writing, this is why things feel inconsequential and you forget them, because effectively they are.
I agree. I even remember the Nier story, all of the Yakuza stories, heck even Half-Life 2. A lot of Sony games have some really crap writing that doesn't compliment the gameplay. I think Horizon the game is a lot of fun but pausing the gameplay to sit through a really motionless cinematic of a bunch of crappy named tribes and characters (did a normal John stop existing in the future?) just takes away from the game. The first game did this too. And it's just not interesting dialogue. Long winded stuff to build the world isn't good.

Horizon easily holds the award for most boring cinematics in a video game.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
I don't play that many games but I remember most of their story. That's why I replay them five or ten years later so that I forget most of it. Unfortunately I watched a video regarding Chrono Trigger some time ago and saw stuff I had already completely forgotten so I will have to wait another 25 years now...

bumpkin

Really depends on the game, but my lizard brain tends to only latch onto the bigger plot points. I always forget about the little shit that happens, especially in longer games (30+ hour).

I love when games give you the ability to get a recap of what you’ve played so far. Bravely Default II had a Travel Log that you could rewatch cut-scenes and had notes about your journey.

LordOfChaos

Some stories are barely enough scaffolding to get you through the gameplay of the game and you can forget them immediately after finishing. Some stay with you for years after. Bioshock Infinite comes to mind, Nier Automata, Halo 1-3, even Portal 2, I guess most of my references are getting older now but maybe Death Stranding recently though it was a wild weird story.

HZD/HFW had a few moments of interesting sci fi but mostly fell in the scaffolding camp. I also felt they had too many moments that didn't feel believable in-world for a tribal people, like the stuff they would understand vs didn't (being freaked out at the Focus, but knowing what Genetics were, or something like that I think. Discovering old world vegetarianism and providing social commentary etc). It doesn't feel consistently hard on its own rules sometimes and more like a game being made by modern people.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

No, my stroty memory is impeccable, i cant recall 99% of any names unless i see them though, not limited to just media, but Horizon franchise specifically might have the most difficult location/person names ive ever seen, its impossible to pay attention to that game, well at least for me.

Laptop1991

If i'm totally immersed and replay the game's, i remember the story well like FEAR 1, Half Life 1 and 2 and Dishonored 1 and 2 etc.

No, my stroty memory is impeccable
Understand Captain America GIF

meech

Mass Effect(the first one).

intbal

With some games, the "story" is just the gameplay. Like Half-Life 1. Those are easy to remember completely.
If a game has lots of cutscenes (either interactive or passive) to tell the story, I usually only recall the overall summary and conclusion.
Except for Enslaved. I remember pretty much the entirety of that game's story. Even down to specific dialogue.

I can remember 90% of the dialogue and whole story of Final Fantasy 7 OG, even though I only played it twice.
It's compact, and doesn't have much filler (In my opinion)

Tomb Raider 2013 had some filler, but It has enough substance to make you remember it. It's the case for me, at least.

Rise of the Tomb Raider on the other hand, if my life was dependent on telling my captor the plot of that game, all I could say is "Dad, Dad, Daddy Daddy" repeatedly until they blew my brains off.

If you somehow cut her father from the script, you could objectively say that nothing happens in Rise. Even though things other then "Daddy" happened. But it's all filler.

I believe filler is what will define if you will remember the story of a game or not...

Last edited:

IAmRei

if the story good, especially the lore, i will almost remember it almost all time. it's also happened in other media such as movie or manga, or anime.

Dazraell

Depends from the game. If narrative stands out and resonate with me for certain reasons, I can remember story beats for years. Similarly with good map layouts, secrets, well-written characters, etc

As for Forbidden West, it didn't clicked for me. I've played it a few years ago, dropped it after 20 hours and honestly don't remember much beyond being annoyed with Aloy's behavior

Last edited:

nkarafo

Almost never. Story in videogames is the least important part for me and it's almost always boring tropes and cliches, trying to mimic movies and either taking themselves too seriously or trying to be edgy.

In my 30+ years of gaming, i can only remember two instances where the story actually captured me. Silent Hill 2 and Portal 1/2.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Games with Good stories I’ll usually remember. I still remember final fantasy 1-6 stories, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, stuff with engaging storylines usually keep
my attention and I put in the chrome dome.

Bloodborne is my favorite as I am an avid reader of horror, suspense, stuff like that and cosmic horror is amazing. Makes me feel insignificant to the universe and makes me feel right at home.

SHA

Never, I have strong memory, the best way to forget is having alzheimer's symptoms like eating meat and never workout but it's not worth it, not for games.

SHA

What's wrong with modern games? are they looking for different roles like selling books to make more money, or games are just too good to have good writing?

Yea, probably about 99% of stories in video games I forget. Stories are usually the low point of games and nowadays with some releases taking 4+ years for a sequel, it's hard to remember. Hell, great stories in a show or a movie isn't easier to remember for myself after that long a time period.

The very select few stories I do remember in games aren't just good to me, but also have to have some aspect that is memorable, wether that being with some type of character or gameplay elements. Something like TLoU sticks out in that regard.

DryvBy

Yea, probably about 99% of stories in video games I forget. Stories are usually the low point of games and nowadays with some releases taking 4+ years for a sequel, it's hard to remember. Hell, great stories in a show or a movie isn't easier to remember for myself after that long a time period.

The very select few stories I do remember in games aren't just good to me, but also have to have some aspect that is memorable, wether that being with some type of character or gameplay elements. Something like TLoU sticks out in that regard.

I struggle to even remember modern TV shows. They're all so samey.

Three

It only depends on how long ago I played it and how much detail you want me to remember (names take me a little while to remember for example). I can't remember anything from the Resident Evils, Half Life, Hitman etc I played a long time ago but I can remember most games I played in the last 5-6 years in pretty good detail.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Depends on the story. Only the really good ones and, unfortunately, the really bad ones stick. Everything else is a vague blur. Most games would be better off with a less is more approach. Do it well, or don't do it at all.

I still can't get over the "big twist" in Mirror's Edge. Hilariously bad.

Last edited:
i don't know, while the majority of video game stories are pretty mediocre, most of my favorite games have had good/memorable stories: ico/sotc, final fantasy vii, metal gear solid 2, red dead redemption, walking dead season 1, yakuza 2, deadly premonition, l.a. noire, ace attorney trilogy, bioshock, tlou, cyberpunk 2077. but this's true for all forms of fiction: some very good stuff amidst a sea of mediocrity. it's just what's to be expected...

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I remember that one where the dude was like "Would you kindly" and then you would do the things, and then some other guy at the end told you to embrace libertarian ideals. And then the next 15 years happened and I gotta say, probably should have listened to the Ron Paul guy and not the Would You Kindly Guy.

I also remember this game:
chaboncito-corriendo.gif

It was about this little guy in a suit... and he walk around, and it ain't got no point to the game, he just walk around jumpin' on shit. He look like Mario in the future. But the funny part is look at this... yooooooop... now if you didn't catch that, I just went back in time.

jonathan-blow-soulja-boy.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The answer my friends is: zero.

That assumes the basic concept of start as a low level slob, and work your up to Uber warrior to kill King Demon Dude from Oppressive Dimension 666 doesn’t count.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Depends on how long ago I played it. Mass effect I think I know well.

zelda got it down.
tlou there are some cool parts
halo I know it.
gears it emerges from time to time

ff1 I feel the chaos
ff7 I remember how mad I was aerith died forever. And how I thought Tifa was amazing. And jive talking Barret. Red 13 being cool and cloud and sephiroth.

metal gear loosely. Mostly it is a lecture about nukes

DaciaJC

Gold Member
When I feel engaged by the story or characters, sure, it'll stick in my memory. TW3 is probably the best example, being my favorite SP game ever in large part due to its worldbuilding and cast of characters, but other games like Nier: Automata, The Last of Us (both parts), and even Nioh 2 have stayed with me.

Meanwhile, I played the Mass Effect trilogy years ago just to see how many lulz could be had as a fugly Renegade and I couldn't tell you anything about the story except "the Reapers are coming!"

YukiOnna

Quite a bit as it's the main driving force for me to continue and I tend to talk about ones I like obsessively with a friend after or consume fan related content, so it'll stick with me. Also, if hate it enough, then I know every detail about why I dislike it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I remember story of the games that are memorable, like 13 Sentinels. even after close to 4 years I still think about this game.

Top Bottom