• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to drive a manual transmission

Automatic or Manual

• Automatic

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • Manual

Votes: 89 74.8%

• Total voters
So I’m currently looking into buying a new car; the Toyota GR86.

I’m 35 and don’t know how to drive a manual but think I understand the basics, I think.

I currently drive an automatic transmission and looking to jump ship because hear it’s better.

Don’t really have anyone to borrow a manual car from so what are some tips while driving a manual transmission you may have to give?

Is it worth really time go manual over automatic?

TransTrender

Gold Member
GR86 is an easy enough manual to learn on. Also not enough power to kill you or your tires.
I'm a weirdo that goes for manual when it's available, but my truck was an Auto since that's the only way they made it.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member

Why Not Have Both Government Shutdown GIF

KrakenIPA

1) Try to start on a flat driving space (even if you have to run the car around)

2) As long as the clutch is pressed down, you can shift however you like. Practice shifting while keeping the clutch pressed down.

3) Use the toe/front heel of your foot to press down the clutch pad. Go a ahead and lean into it until you need to unpress it at like 25%.

4)drive drive drive! Hills are your enemy now, but you will conquer them soon, har!

Thaedolus

I’m 35 and don’t know how to drive a manual but think I understand the basics, I think.

I currently drive an automatic transmission and looking to jump ship because hear it’s better.

Don’t really have anyone to borrow a manual car from so what are some tips while driving a manual transmission you may have to give?

It’s not better for a modern vehicle in any real objective sense. Some people prefer it. But modern autos will generally give you better economy and performance.

I still have a manual commuter car (2010) but it’ll probably be the last one I ever own

Rival

Gold Member
I learned how to drive on a manual mustang. I wouldn’t mind a manual if I ever decided to get a second car but I’ve only had auto cars since.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Automatic for any vehicle but a sports car.

You just need some practice and you will get it. I learned on an old farm truck at the peach farm I worked on.

You’re going to stall it, a lot, don’t panic and put the brake on immediately. Once you’ve learned the biting ppint between acceleration and clutch and can judge the revs it’s as easy as automatic.

General rule of thumb:

0-5 mph - 1st gear
5-20mph - 2nd gear
20mph-30mph - 3rd gear

But you’ll know if you’re in the wrong one because the car will either chug or the engine will rev hard and you’ll be going nowhere fast.

Last edited:

nush

You’re going to stall it, a lot, don’t panic and put the brake on immediately. Once you’ve learned the biting ppint between acceleration and clutch and can judge the revs it’s as easy as automatic.

General rule of thumb:

0-5 mph - 1st gear
5-20mph - 2nd gear
20mph-30mph - 3rd gear

But you’ll know if you’re in the wrong one because the car will either chug or the engine will rev hard and you’ll be going nowhere fast.

Manual you just need to listen to the engine revs, but the speed will give you a visual representation as well.

Lone Wolf

I miss driving a manual. A shame that they are almost all gone, and much of the new generation doesn’t know how to shift their own gears.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ive never drove manual.

Looks like a pain in the butt to be shifting. Also, I'd be too afraid if I didnt shift correctly and gun it, I'd mess up the gears or something.

I dont know how much of a fail-safe system manual cars are if someone keeps messing up.

Last edited:
0-5 mph - 1st gear
...what?

he's driving a car, not an 18 speed semi truck.

OP:

Pros of a manual:

-More engaging to drive
-Less complicated than an automatic (mechanically I mean, less parts to break)
-Less weight
-Keeps your hands busy so you are less prone to look at your GD phone while driving

Cons:

-easier to damage (burning out the clutch while learning, grinding gears, etc,etc)
-Hills will be a pain in the ass for you while learning
-Slower than most modern automatics
-sometimes can be worse on fuel economy

Personally, I prefer a manual. Especially in a car like the 86. However, this really depends on how you get on with a manual transmission. I know people that pick it up very quickly (my lady was a natural when I taught her) and others it just doesnt click (my best bud couldnt wrap his head around it no matter how he tried).

I would highly recommend you give it a go in another car before dumping all the cash on a new 86 only to find out that you are having a real hard time.

Last edited:

lem0n

Just practice. You won't be a pro for quite some miles. Just remember, if you start to stall or feel the car buck and jerk from being in the wrong gear, clutch in. Clutch is always your failsafe. I'm currently teaching my gf manual as I'm going to be buying a GR86 myself but I will also be giving her my current Fiesta ST so she can sell her current POS Chevy and we can keep the ST in the family. The other tip I can share is don't over think it. She's brilliant when we're having a conversation while I'm teaching, but if we both shut up and she thinks too hard about what she's doing, that's when the stalls happen.

haxan7

Banned
Look up training in your area. Should be able to find someone. I don’t think you can learn it without really doing it.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
There is no real advantage to manual anymore but I still like it. Last car was an auto and it was so boring to drive a d I found my self just looking at my phone when I shouldn't. Back in a stick and now I'm engaged all the time.

That said, stop and go traffic BLOWS and while steep hills are easier due to auto brake they are still a bit of a pain.

But on the open road.... watch out!

If you are looking at a sporty car then DEFINITELY stick. For a bare bones four banger that is just a commute vehicle, auto all the way.

Look up training in your area. Should be able to find someone. I don’t think you can learn it without really doing it.
I found one place for $150 for hour and half of training. I may rent from Turo and train on it which runs about $80 for a day. Prob not wise to do that with a random persons car but :🤷:

haxan7

Banned
I found one place for $150 for hour and half of training. I may rent from Turo and train on it which runs about $80 for a day. Prob not wise to do that with a random persons car but :🤷:
Maybe do the training first then get the rental a couple days later to practice on your own

Are you in Europe or the US? In Europe, they rent manuals all the time. In the US, you will probably never find one.

Fbh

It's not that hard but yeah, I'd be best if you could get your hands on one to practice before.

I learned to drive on a manual but my first (and still current) car is automatic, wasn't really looking for one but I bought used and the best deal happened to be an automatic.

Manual is definitely more fun and gives you more control over your car. So if you are going to take your car on the road and enjoy going on drives it's definitely worth it to learn it.
But for the daily work commute and traffic (which is like 80% of what I do with my car) I much prefer the convenience of automatic.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Super easy and over exaggerated by idiots.

Let off gas, push clutch down, shift, let off clutch slowly while applying gas.

its that simple. I learned on a dirtbike and I also drove a flatbed delivery truck but in the end the principle never changes.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Better depends on what you're gonna do with it. If you commute during rush hour every day a manual quickly loses it's appeal. It's not hard though if you have even a child's level of coordination.

Press clutch and brake, switch into gear, move breaking foot to gas pedal and slowly give gas as you release the clutch pedal. Practice that for a while so you don't make the car lurch or die and you're golden.

Depends on your daily drive. If you're stuck in traffic going to work most days then a manual is a bad choice. If you're cruising and got lots of winding roads then a manual is a blast and totally more fun with more control to drive. If you're talking about costs autos are a tad more expensive to buy into but over the life of your car will require less maintenance costs. I say this because you're new to manual transmission driving and you're going to grind those gears, have clutch issues and wear parts more than an auto will.

My advice would be to take driving lessons and get that initial learning how to drive manual out of your system with a third party owned car. Alternatively rent a manual car for a few days/week. After that buy the car that interests you.

There is of course a third option, tiptronic e.g. paddles that let you basically drive an auto like a manual. Not as fun as a clutch pedal but still give you a ton of control over your car.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I miss my 89 Toyota Camry. I loved driving stick. I miss it, but all I get are hand me downs. My service vehicle is an automatic, but the gas is paid for. I’m not complaining.

Church parking lots and neighborhoods helped me starting out. Just remember to use your e-break whenever you park and watch out on hills so that you don’t roll back.

You have so much more control over your vehicle. The gas mileage was better for me. You got to be careful when you let go of the clutch and press the gas. It’s something you just have to learn for yourself. There’s a timing to it otherwise you’ll kill the engine and you’ll have to restart. I don’t know how newer vehicles are, but the same logic applies.

JBat

It's kind of like swimming. Looks easy, sounds easy, and actual is pretty easy but you will probably sink the first few times you try it. haven't driven stick in about 15 years. I would probably have to relearn if I was going to now.The first few weeks will probably suck and be a little embarrassing but you will get it and be able to get around without thinking about it. Only dangerous thing is hills and people that pull up behind you to close but you'll get a feel for the car and not have to stress about it after awhile.

20cent

Banned
-Pressing down the clutch pedal will disengage it from the gearbox/engine

-An engine in any gear will stall if the vehicle is not moving so you need to balance clutch / gas when moving the car from a stop - takes some training on a hill (handbrake will help)

-obviously, release gas and press the clutch down when changing gears

-match engine rev with a gear, using the speed table mentioned here is a good start

I was struggling even after getting my license until someone explained to me what the clutch was doing with their hands and it all made sense, nowadays a youtube video / gif will do

that's for a hill start, for regular start, ignore point 5:

hold-car-bite-point.gif
MkXd.gif

Last edited:
Manuals were great but they dont hold anything fuel economy or performance as an advantage anymore over a dual clutch.

Only reason I would choose a manual car over a dual clutch is if it had really low power and you needed to ride the revs hard to feel anything.

note: I said dual clutch not shitty slush boxes or CVT

Last edited:

Gp1

Neutral
Turn the car on
Clutch
1st gear
GENTLY release the clutch until you hit the "bite point", the car will move here
full clutch and break
repeat 5

And don't look at the gear box

Yes you don't even need the gas pedal to do that as long as you are gentle enough. The main thing is discover where the bite point is.

Do that for 10 min in a empty parking lot and voilá you are driving manual. Now try to accelerate and pass to 2nd etc. The rest become conditioned reflex.

To stop, break and clutch.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

I'm too old to learn standard anymore. When growing up, I almost wrecked my brother's truck cause I couldn't get the timing correct.

In my opinion, from learning way back when I was 16, when you first start out forget the accelerator. Put it in first and just practice getting used to the bite point of the clutch. Work up to accelerating after you get used to this.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

I have a 77 k5 blazer 4 speed but actually 3 one is low gear. Needs a transmission rebuild, 1st gear sometimes doesn't stick.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
It’s not that hard, but I have tbh that I still stall if I’m not paying attention when starting on an up hill.

Last edited:

dolabla

My work truck is 5 speed manual. Manuals are much more fun. You feel more connected to your car. Some of the new manuals (like the Golf GTI) don't roll back on hill. I test drove one last year. The good thing about manual is if you're in the US it's a great deterrent from somebody trying to steal your car or if somebody wants to borrow your car :messenger_tongue:

Manuals are even being phased out of the trucking industry. It's sad, but inevitable.

It's funny when I pick up a rental truck for my boss and all they have are 10 speeds, now he has to figure out how to deal with the fact that only a third of his drivers know how to drive anything but an idiot machine.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I learned to drive on a manual but prefer automatic, it's just easier. I do sometimes change my gears myself though just for the fun of it. Did just buy the manual shifter for my racing wheel though.

Havoc2049

For the new 2022 GR 86, go with the manual. The automatic transmission in the new 86 is kinda a dog. The 0-60 times for the manual is 6.1 seconds and for the auto it's 6.6 seconds. Plus, manual is more fun to drive.

Cyberpunkd

I was born in Europe so I drove manual for 15 years before switching to automatic. You do not want to go back, automatic is all around better. Especially when you are driving in the city.

bajouras

Also a little trick for steep roads or hills. For some people is hard to quickly switch the foot from break to accelerator while still applying the correct amount of pressure to the clutch, all while the car is going backwards because your’re in a hill. So, use the handbreak! If you ever happen to stop in one of those, you can always use the hand break to free up one of your foot to use it in clutch+accelerator thing.

Lanrutcon

Reading this thread is weird. Around here we learn stick at age 15ish. It's a rite of passage almost. By the time you can get a license you already know what you're doing.

I've driven an automatic once in my life, and never again. It felt incredibly weird. Like playing an fps but you don't get strafe keys.

Havoc2049

I see the tech reviews mentally has spread. Unless you are a race car driver on a track you don’t need that extra 0.5 seconds.
Well we are talking about the Toyota Gazoo Racing 86 sports car, so a half second in that realm is quite a bit. The history of this car in the drifting scene, Initial D, etc., is pretty legendary. People buy these cars to have fun, look cool and maybe take to the track. The trunk was specifically designed to fit 4 track tires with the back seat down. Toyota has the Gazoo Racing sponsored track day events now for all the GR Supra and 86 owners. That's why I say for this car, get a stick and enjoy the driving experience.

Top Bottom