• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Howl's Moving Castle (Hayao Miyazaki) full-length trailer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Hard to say if it will or not for me, but it certainly looks gorgeous. I hope the fact it is based off a Western book will result in more appeal in the US this time around..

Alucard

Banned
I really need to watch Spirited Away again and try to understood all of the buzz surrounding it. To me it was an extremely gorgeous and imaginative film, but stretches of it struck me as being a tad boring. I like it well enough but don't think it even tops Laputa.

I only watched Spirited Away once, I was slightly buzzed from a couple of drinks, just slightly though... I was expecting to dislike it (because I think Mononoke is hugely overrated and I heard many people compare SA to it), I was infact WANTING to hate it... but I ended up crying three times during the movie, and when it ended I said "I think this has become my #1 favorite film of all time. Animated or not."

I haven't watched it again since then, I really should, to see if I'll still feel the same way about it.

Asbel

Awesome animation and charming scenes. I won't judge it on my first watch cuz Miyazaki films are always great with multiple viewings. :)

Now it seems to me the people who hate Princess Mononoke were over-hyped on it, same with people who don't like Cowboy Bebop or Akira. They have their flaws but each is far from bad. Also, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are quite different so I don't understand the comparison unless they mean the attention to direction and detail in the movies.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
My computer cannot recognize the Japnaese font in the zip file ! I cannot unzip the trailer. HELP !!!

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Just watched the trailer, and although I think this movie/anime will be awesome, I really think Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli is running out of ideas on character designs... The old lady and that black hair girl/guy are almost exact mirrors of Spirited Away's character design.

Meier

That's just Miyazaki's style. He's had essentially the same looking character designs his entire career and will for any subsequent movies if he releases more. It's a staple of anime/manga (see Mitsuru Adachi for perhaps the most blatant example).

Thaedolus

Visually stunning, even though I had no idea what was going on. I might watch Spirited Away now just because...

bjork

Niftykeen. I'm sure we'll have a bootleg at work as soon as it's available.

Will it surpass Kiki's Delivery Service for me? Perhaps not... Kiki's a pretty special film to me.

teiresias

Will it surpass Kiki's Delivery Service for me? Perhaps not... Kiki's a pretty special film to me.

Yeah, because I doubt this one will lend itself to drinking games based on how many times you see the witch's panties.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
KarishBHR said:
WOW... I love Miyazaki, is this his final film?

It might very well be.... But as we know some people can't stop making classics...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't downloaded the trailer yet, but this trailer will determine whether or not I drop 3,000 yen for the soundtrack tomorrow (yes, the soundtrack is out in Japan).

Farore said:
Looks really nice... thanks for the link.
Linkborrachus.gif

HAHA

Flynn

The word genius gets thrown around quite a bit; Miyazaki is one of the few artists who truly deserves it.

I visited Studio Ghibli last November and the Totoro short they screen there moved me to tears of joy. To say that I can't wait to see Howl's Moving Castle would be a vast understatement.

MetatronM said:
I haven't downloaded the trailer yet, but this trailer will determine whether or not I drop 3,000 yen for the soundtrack tomorrow (yes, the soundtrack is out in Japan).

I think it's a fair bet that you will be forking 3000 yen tomorrow, I LOVED the music in the trailer.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
KarishBHR said:
WOW... I love Miyazaki, is this his final film?

He was supposed to retire years ago, but decided not to after one of Ghibli's directors died (Guy who directed Whispers of the heart),least that's what i've heard.

He could retire at any time now.

Meier

Yep, Yoshifumi Kondo was a good friend of his and was intended to take over his position more or less but unfortunately passed away not all that long after the release of Princess Mononoke, what was to be Miyazaki's last film.

Whisper of the Heart is tied with Grave of the Fireflies for being the best anime movie I've ever seen.. truly marvelous. That makes Kondo's death all the more unfortunate since I'm sure he could have released some amazing films in the years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom