• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hows ESPN MLB 2k4?

KarishBHR

Its only 20 bux on ESPN.com, so how is it? I mean 20 bux isnt too much, but its a game I wasnt planning on getting in the first place

Bog

Junior Ace
KarishBHR said:
Its only 20 bux on ESPN.com, so how is it? I mean 20 bux isnt too much, but its a game I wasnt planning on getting in the first place

After playing MVP for a while, I rented ESPN...

ESPN was a joke compared to MVP.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Hands down the best playing baseball game this year. If you liked High heat, then you will like it. Quality AI, hitting, stats, the works. Plus, you can actually draw a walk, unlike the other games (don't know about MLB2005)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
If they could smash ESPN and MVP together, we'd all be set. As it is, I like MVP's hitting engine much better but really dig ESPN's visuals/presentation as well as the sliders. MVP also has better fielder control as well, but ESPN, as limited as it is, still holds up well. Also, if you only have an Xbox, I'd give the nod to ESPN for the updated rosters via LIVE.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
It's the first baseball game I have played since Tommy LaSorda on the Genesis and even I can tell it's pretty poor. Lacks polish.

Why the hell can I not adjust my batter in the batter's box?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
DaCocoBrova said:
Why the hell can I not adjust my batter in the batter's box?

If you mean step-out to make the pitcher annoyed, then that would be pretty cool (I know you can, as a pitcher, make the batter step out whenever you "reset" your pitch selection), but if you mean literally going up/down/left/right in the box, well, nobody does that in baseball. I mean, players friggin dig holes in the dirt to get set. It's just not realistic.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It should have been better. By that I simply mean that it should have been more of an upgrade over last years game, and the upgrades that are present (such as first person, confidence meters, etc.) shouldn't be something you immediately turn off. That said...it easily offers the most realistic sim on a console. You'd have to be a non-baseball fan to ignore the bugs in MVP and think it was a good game and not broken in several fundemental respects. It has far better presentation without doubt, but it shipped with game-breaking bugs in hitting and dynasty modes. ESPN feels very no-frills but it has the best sliders and gameplay going, bar none. I'm hoping next year baseball fans will have a fuller choice of quality games but for now, ESPN is the best title and worth 20 bucks.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The fact remains that NFL 2K_ is VC's only truley polished product. Did VC even develop MLB 2K4 or any of the baseball games for that matter?

Jesiatha

DaCocoBrova said:
The fact remains that NFL 2K_ is VC's only truley polished product. Did VC even develop MLB 2K4 or any of the baseball games for that matter?

It's developed by some 3rd party. Blue Shift, I think.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Musashi Wins! said:
It should have been better. By that I simply mean that it should have been more of an upgrade over last years game, and the upgrades that are present (such as first person, confidence meters, etc.) shouldn't be something you immediately turn off. That said...it easily offers the most realistic sim on a console. You'd have to be a non-baseball fan to ignore the bugs in MVP and think it was a good game and not broken in several fundemental respects. It has far better presentation without doubt, but it shipped with game-breaking bugs in hitting and dynasty modes. ESPN feels very no-frills but it has the best sliders and gameplay going, bar none. I'm hoping next year baseball fans will have a fuller choice of quality games but for now, ESPN is the best title and worth 20 bucks.

What he said.

Top Bottom