• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Some of the princes are seriously depraved. This looks to be a darker arc (hoho) than even Yorkshin City, which is good. I am looking forward to Kurapica bringing the serious pain to the Princes. Given there 'sacrifice' (a drop of blood) this power should be nowhere near what Kurapica gained through his restrictions (or Gon for that matter, but his was insane).

Man, if they ever get around to animating this arc, how are they going to adapt that guardian Nen beast? So weird!

So we have 12 Zodiacs, 14 Princes, and 13 people on Beyond's team. I was surprised to see that some of the Princes were actually Princesses. With only 35 days left to the expedition starts, I wonder what happens next? I would be satisfied with this arc even if all 3 groups never even got to the Dark Continent.

And is Kurapika's plan to go undercover as a bodyguard for the 4th Prince?

kirblar

Some of the princes are seriously depraved. This looks to be a darker arc (hoho) than even Yorkshin City, which is good. I am looking forward to Kurapica bringing the serious pain to the Princes. Given there 'sacrifice' (a drop of blood) this power should be nowhere near what Kurapica gained through his restrictions (or Gon for that matter, but his was insane).
The trick is that you probably need an exorcist in order to deal with it.

The beast feeds on the user's power to grow, the blood is more to confirm he is from the kIng's heritage.

And is Kurapika's plan to go undercover as a bodyguard for the 4th Prince?

That wouldn't make a lot of sense, given that Kurapica is an official Zodiac member.

Kurtofan

I'm guessing the first arc will involve the princes and none of them are going to make it to the new world.

Also wtf Togashi

That wouldn't make a lot of sense, given that Kurapica is an official Zodiac member.
Didn't Kurapika agree to join the Zodiacs only because Mizaistom would allow him to go after the Prince? I could just be misremembering the crummy translation.

Anyway, my bet is that one of those younger Princes is going to be naive enough to enter the succession battle and gets killed first thing, probably by the 4th Prince. I think that could be what Togashi's editor was referring to as one of the most shocking things to happen in the series, unless he was referring to the appearance of that giant nipple monster instead.

Kurtofan

I really wonder how the anime is going to deal with that, part of me is afraid the manga is going too seinen to be animated.

Oh my...these sacred beasts seem lewd. Are they Nen or something else?
Saiyuus ability also seems pretty cool. I guess that would make him a conjurer and not an enhancer? Emitter is also plausible. Seems like Kurapika is going to get his chance soon too...

Kurtofan

Does that mean Kurapika knows every Zodiac's abilities then? I know the focus is on Saiyuu but I'd like to know what the others can do.

upandaway

Does that mean Kurapika knows every Zodiac's abilities then? I know the focus is on Saiyuu but I'd like to know what the others can do.
I'm guessing some of them will trickle in. Some of the lower key Zodiacs could stay unknown until way into the trip even.

smurfx

get some go again
so will hisoka and maybe some spiders board the ship as bodyguards? is a prince going to hire the zoldycks to murder the other princes?

Kurtofan

The princes sound like they're in over their heads, even with Nen beasts. I'm really curious to see where this is all going.

The princes sound like they're in over their heads, even with Nen beasts. I'm really curious to see where this is all going.

A bit yeah. Notice how the super badass evil 4th prince has no idea of Nen, he didn't see the little fairy of the pot putting a seed? in his mouth.

The Guardian Beasts must be a awesome callback to this great YuYu Hakusho character

Puu.jpg

kirblar

You know, I bet they knew about this material before the move to late-night.

Oh, and two holy craps from Reddit. The first is that the "painting" in the opening page is actually the tattooed girl's skin from the earlier chapter.

The second:
That head in the middle of the trophy collection looks an awful lot like Pairo....

smurfx

get some go again

Oh, and two holy craps from Reddit. The first is that the "painting" in the opening page is actually the tattooed girl's skin from the earlier chapter.

The second:
That head in the middle of the trophy collection looks an awful lot like Pairo....
i went back and checked for the tattoo girl and it sure looks like it. guess it wasn't a spider tattoo like some thought it was. that really does look like pairo as well. was the prince the one who ordered the massacre?

dan2026

I could see them going back to a series of direct to dvd/bluray ovas when this arc is finally finished.

That would allow them to show the titty vagina monster.

Big One

Banned
I can't wait for Kurapika to just massacre the Prince of Kakin. Going to be good stuff.

And yeah I picture this being adapted into OVAs as well.

Yonafunu

I'm expecting it to be so long that people will stop regarding it as one arc and divide it by the arcs within it.

Togashi can feel free to prove me wrong

Definitely this. The Dark Continent arc is going to be something like Bleach's Arrancar arc, which started
right after the Soul Society arc
and ended with
Aizen's defeat
The first real part of the Dark Continent arc will probably be the Black Whale arc, or something like that.

The second:

Yeah, I was going to comment it now. It looks like him a bit...

BTW, we had a timeskip without us noticing! The Election Arc mentioned 8th August as a date of the first election. Now they are saying the ship will depart the 8th August, in one month. So we had 11 months passing by.

rexor0717

I couldn't resist and read the manga up until the point where it recently started again. I can't wait to see the rest of the arc get animated. I was all :3 when they showed the King and Komugi still holding hands in that house.

kirblar

Yeah, I was going to comment it now. It looks like him a bit...

BTW, we had a timeskip without us noticing! The Election Arc mentioned 8th August as a date of the first election. Now they are saying the ship will depart the 8th August, in one month. So we had 11 months passing by.
Yeah, there was one a few weeks ago.

Riposte

Man, all this set up. I cannot wait until this arc gets the ball rolling, it ought to be downright amazing.

smurfx

get some go again
anybody wondering why we haven't seen killua at all? we've seen all the main cast but him. wondering if the shocking thing the editor was talking about involves him. i get the feeling bad things are in store for him.

smurfx

get some go again
I thought he was out enjoying the world with his sister
you would think we would get a couple of panels of them two but so far we haven't seen anything. plus this is HXH so any feelings of joy will soon turn into feelings of despair.

Mortemis

Banned
We didn't even get a glimpse of Kurapika for so damn long, I'm happy it's focusing on him atm. Killua's been in the spotlight for a long time, I'm cool with him being mia for a little while longer. Though, I am interested in how he'll make his entrance into this arc and if it has to do with Alluka possibly being from the dark continent.

Maffis

What happened to the needle men that Illumi controlled during the Alluka arc? Did we ever see what happened to those innocent people? Also weird how Illumi kills so many people yet Killua doesn't seem to mind. I mean, he was bothered by it but he could actually have commanded Alluka to kill Illumi or "trap" him somewhere instead of just letting him go home. He's kind of a sick bastard that toys with people and has several times fucked with Killua. It's just weird.

Kieli

I'm going to be extremely, extremly upset if Kurapika is able to take on competent Nen users.

That fucker should have mega-gimped himself (against everyone else) in order to fight of the Phantom Spiders.

There's no fucking point to his oath if he's still so fucking strong. It's dumb as hell.

Edit: Seriously, he's won the genetic lottery. Emperor time + healing chain + dowsing chain + Oath chain + 2 more unknowns. Might as well give him super-saiyan god while he's at it because it's not like Kurapika is going to be weaker without SSG.

It's like Togashi has an uncontrollable hard-on for this character that I fucking hate.

Edit Edit: I rolled my eyes when he threatened Mizaistom. Dumbass doesn't know he's outmatched agains the Zodiacs. Remember, this is a dude who was weaker and feeling outpaced compared to Gon and Killua (1 in 10 million talent). Then his power level rose by a million fold because reasons.

Kurtofan

Kurapika still has some unrevealed chains that aren't tied to the Spiders. He showed he could use his chains in a defensive manner too.

Kurapika still has some unrevealed chains that aren't tied to the Spiders. He showed he could use his chains in a defensive manner too.

just one, the index finger

Thumb = healing
Index = ???????
Middle = Chain Jail
Ring = Dowsing
Pinky = Judgement

He could put up a decent fight against people with Emperor Time activated. It all depends on his speed though. Anyone faster than him (Killua, probably Gon) would be able to take him out.

Mortemis

Banned
I'm going to be extremely, extremly upset if Kurapika is able to take on competent Nen users.

That fucker should have mega-gimped himself (against everyone else) in order to fight of the Phantom Spiders.

There's no fucking point to his oath if he's still so fucking strong. It's dumb as hell.

Edit: Seriously, he's won the genetic lottery. Emperor time + healing chain + dowsing chain + Oath chain + 2 more unknowns. Might as well give him super-saiyan god while he's at it because it's not like Kurapika is going to be weaker without SSG.

It's like Togashi has an uncontrollable hard-on for this character that I fucking hate.

Edit Edit: I rolled my eyes when he threatened Mizaistom. Dumbass doesn't know he's outmatched agains the Zodiacs. Remember, this is a dude who was weaker and feeling outpaced compared to Gon and Killua (1 in 10 million talent). Then his power level rose by a million fold because reasons.

Hmm? I thought the only thing that's limited to the spiders is chain jail? I wouldn't call that mega-gimped.

I don't even see what's the problem with Kurapika being able to take on competent nen users, I don't think he should be as strong or stronger than most of the zodiacs, but the dude shouldn't be a weak ass fodder against anyone who isn't a spider.

Also, "uncontrollable hard-on"? The guy hasn't been a chapter in a god damn long ass time up until this arc.

Yeah, he is broken. It happened when Togashi didn't have a very clear idea of how all the Nen worked so he made him a bit OP even forgetting his Emperor Time. Later in Greed Island we could see that just the basics are deeper and harder to obtain that we believed after only seeing Heavens Arena. Even with emperor time that allows you to have 100% in each category to fight high level people you should need to train for years to handle each nen category as an expert and of course you also need to be fast with nen (Ryu technique) to apply it in combat.
In addition to that, in the time geniuses like Gon and Killua had developed ~0.1 hatsus, he made 5 of them. And super varied, later with other nen users Togashi has shown that most people are more specialized in one area, and the ones that are versatile is because they have one single but versatile power, like Morel.

Mortemis

Banned
Emperor time itself always seemed stupid to me. If emperor time gives you 100% in each category, that to me means that you have a much easier time learning every type of nen, but that shouldn't mean you can just go and make a bunch of nen abilities in such a short amount of time. Emperor time just gets rid of the body's limits to what type of nen you can use to the best of your abilities, it doesn't and shouldn't shorten the time of obtaining and training any nen ability. Gon is supposed to be the top of the talent and potential, and yet it took him a fair amount of time and tons and tons of training to get his Rock to be so strong, Kurapika shouldn't be able to do things like create a chain that can fucking heal your wounds in such a short amount of time, much less make a couple of other chains that can do as much as that. Like Turin said, you would still need to train for years to get there.

And in addition, he is super smart, as shown when he joined the Zodiacs. He feels a bit "too perfect in every area" (power with Emperor Time, several nen abilities instead of 1 or 2, and with great diversity, intelligence, observation) which is why he feels off.

Kieli

Emperor time itself always seemed stupid to me. If emperor time gives you 100% in each category, that to me means that you have a much easier time learning every type of nen, but that shouldn't mean you can just go and make a bunch of nen abilities in such a short amount of time. Emperor time just gets rid of the body's limits to what type of nen you can use to the best of your abilities, it doesn't and shouldn't shorten the time of obtaining and training any nen ability. Gon is supposed to be the top of the talent and potential, and yet it took him a fair amount of time and tons and tons of training to get his Rock to be so strong, Kurapika shouldn't be able to do things like create a chain that can fucking heal your wounds in such a short amount of time, much less make a couple of other chains that can do as much as that. Like Turin said, you would still need to train for years to get there.

You nailed the head as to why I'm so mad. Why does he have 5 completely broken abilities + Emperor time when other very talented individuals have 1 or 2.

Sure he made an oath. Yes, that oath allowed him to punch way above his weight class. A weight class he had no business being in. But it seems the oath WASN'T EVEN ALL THAT GREAT A SACRIFICE. Who cares if he doesn't use Chain Jail on Spiders. He still has a bajillion other abilities to rely upon. Meanwhile, Gon had to commit essentially sudoku to fight Pitou.

Moreover, Emperor Time allows you to use all 5 categories with 100% efficiency. It doesn't suddenly make you any stronger than you were before. You have to train to be better. So I was like "aw hell nah" when he tanked a Nen punch from Uvogin. Uvogin is, as everyone knows, a powerful Enhancer. Just because Kurapika has 100% in Enhancing doesn't mean he should be able to tank or keep up with Uvogin.

Regardless of whether Uvogin knew of the chains, he shouldn't have been hit by them. He should be too quick, too strong, too good to be hit by Kurapika even with Emperor Time (again, emphasis on 100% efficiency; not some magical super saiyan mode).

He's also an ass consumed by revenge and hatred. Wouldn't even pick up the phone when Gon was dying. Once he knew Gon was dying, he was like, "Oh, should I go visit him? What do you think, Leorio? Should I? I dunno, I don't really wanna..."

Edit: Should probably make it clear, but I'm actually not all that mad (even if I say I am. :p). Despite the harsh sounding language I use, I'm pretty chill. It's just that years of spending time on Gaf has warped my writing to be 100% sarcasm or 100% rage.

Edit Edit: I don't know about y'all, but I love "weak but skilled" peeps. Like GARcher.

Edit Edit Edit: I'm just salty that Gon and Killua, who are the creme de la creme, had to work so hard to get where they're at now. Kurapika, who never struck me more than a (very) talented and intelligent individual, gets everything handed to him by Togashi.

kirblar

I don't think Kurapika would fair very well heads-up against a skilled normal Nen user. His revealed non-Spider chain abilities are very support-oriented. (And heck, Hisoka's got no interest in fighting him, despite being interested in Illumi/Killua/Gon.)

Top Bottom