• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Kieli

I don't think Kurapika would fair very well heads-up against a skilled normal Nen user. His revealed non-Spider chain abilities are very support-oriented. (And heck, Hisoka's got no interest in fighting him, despite being interested in Illumi/Killua/Gon.)

Originally, I didn't even dislike Kurapika because I thought he took a very strong oath in order to fight the Phantom Spiders. Essentially, what I thought he did was state "I want to be powerful against the PS. If I fight anyone else, kill me."

So when he made Uvogin look like a jobber, I was alright with it.

What led me down a dark path was when someone told me only Chain Jail had that restriction.... Then I was like, well... how the fuck did Kurapika not get wasted in the first few seconds of the fight against Uvogin. How can you even land Chain Jail against someone whose way, way, way above your league.

My man Knuckles had to expend so much effort to enforce Zetsu. Now it turns out Kurapika can do that the PS like it's no one's business. And the oath doesn't even affect him all that much because he can just create a 6th, 7th, 8th, why not a million chains each with a broken ability. Because he's Kurapika God.

Man, Kurapika shouldn't have even been stronger than Killua and Gon. Look at how silly the two kids were made to look against the other members of PS. Kurapika isn't even the sort of 1 in 10 million that the other 2 are.

smurfx

get some go again
And in addition, he is super smart, as shown when he joined the Zodiacs. He feels a bit "too perfect in every area" (power with Emperor Time, several nen abilities instead of 1 or 2, and with great diversity, intelligence, observation) which is why he feels off.
this is why i think kurapika is going to be the first of the big four that gets killed off. this might even be the arc since the prince might be the one that sent the order to kill the kurta for their eyes. the spiders might also get involved since the princes will need bodyguards.

Originally, I didn't even dislike Kurapika because I thought he took a very strong oath in order to fight the Phantom Spiders. Essentially, what I thought he did was state "I want to be powerful against the PS. If I fight anyone else, kill me."

So when he made Uvogin look like a jobber, I was alright with it.

What led me down a dark path was when someone told me only Chain Jail had that restriction.... Then I was like, well... how the fuck did Kurapika not get wasted in the first few seconds of the fight against Uvogin. How can you even land Chain Jail against someone whose way, way, way above your league.

My man Knuckles had to expend so much effort to enforce Zetsu. Now it turns out Kurapika can do that the PS like it's no one's business. And the oath doesn't even affect him all that much because he can just create a 6th, 7th, 8th, why not a million chains each with a broken ability. Because he's Kurapika God.

Man, Kurapika shouldn't have even been stronger than Killua and Gon. Look at how silly the two kids were made to look against the other members of PS. Kurapika isn't even the sort of 1 in 10 million that the other 2 are.

You forget when his eyes turn crimson, he can use nen from any category at 100%.THAT takes a lot of energy out of him, but it does enhance his abilities quite significantly. And chain jail having the restriction is what makes it so powerful and fast

Kieli

this is why i think kurapika is going to be the first of the big four that gets killed off. this might even be the arc since the prince might be the one that sent the order to kill the kurta for their eyes. the spiders might also get involved since the princes will need bodyguards.

I'm really happy with the latest chapter. These Princes look like regular civilians who don't even know Nen (aside from Prince 1, he's a beast). So I'd be mad if they could fight off Nen users.

But it won't be them fighting. It'll be the Nen thingy from their forefather that will protect them. What a tweest!

Really rad idea. Togashi da gawd.

Kieli

You forget when his eyes turn crimson, he can use nen from any category at 100%.THAT takes a lot of energy out of him, but it does enhance his abilities quite significantly. And chain jail having the restriction is what makes it so powerful and fast

That's what I have a problem with (the bolded). It shouldn't enhance anything. It should merely allow him to use an ability to 100% of his capabilities. And his capabilities, at that point, shouldn't be close to Uvogin's.

That is why I'm mad. Because Togashi made Emperor Time look like super saiyan mode when it really shouldn't be.

Case in point, Gon's a 100% enhancer. A supremely talented one. Just because Kurapika is now also a 100% enhancer doesn't mean he is suddenly a BETTER enhancer than Gon. He's just operating at peak efficiency. No Nen wasted kind of thing, no incompatibility kind of thing. Not super saiyan mode.

Kieli

Kurapika is cheating.

At that point, why not just make an oath with every single opponent. Oh, if I fight you, then this ability can only be used on you or I die.

Next opponent, same thing.

If Kurapika can make 5 abilities, I'm sure there's stronger people who can make way more. Like Pouf. I dunno.

I'm just salty.

I'd rather an oath be something like Gon's. It comes at a huge personal cost. Kurapika's seems like an inconvenience at best.

His judgement chain is also ridiculous. There's like practically no condition for using it other than hitting one's opponent. Look how elaborate Chrollo had to be to steal a technique or how difficult it was for Knuckle to zetsu someone.

I bet his fifth pinky chain turns him into a Reality Warper.

That's
my secret hope.
Or at least seeing Pariston and Ging beating the shit out of him out-planning him.

Togashi's contract was forged in the fire of Mordor.

Heh, that's a good analogy. I wouldn't mind seeing Togashi going into a seinen magazine and seeing what would do then...

Yonafunu

Kurapika is cheating.

At that point, why not just make an oath with every single opponent. Oh, if I fight you, then this ability can only be used on you or I die.

If Kurapika can make 5 abilities, I'm sure there's stronger people who can make way more. Like Pouf. I dunno.

I'm just salty.

I'd rather an oath be something like Gon's. It comes at a huge personal cost. Kurapika's seems like an inconvenience at best.

I'm pretty sure an oath can only be dispelled by a Nen exorcist. It can't be as easy as just saying "welp, I'm done with this, now I'm gonna go do something else".

Kieli

I'm pretty sure an oath can only be dispelled by a Nen exorcist. It can't be as easy as just saying "welp, I'm done with this, now I'm gonna go do something else".

Oh, I mean more in the sense of Kurapika never has to use Chain Jail on any non-PS.

And he won't really be all that much weaker, because he has 4 more abilities and Emperor Time. Sure the oath is there, but it won't cost him anything unlike Gon's.

I understand there's varying levels of oaths, but I feel his cost was too little for what it enabled him to do.

Edit: I'd like to see his butt whooped as well. His threatening of Mizaistom made me roll my eyes.

Beckx

Well, gutted that the anime is ending production, but it's no surprise given how it's caught up to the manga.

Tizoc

So uh HxH Ch. 349...
that boobie creature creeped me out...TITS SHOULD NOT BE THIS NIGHTMARISH DAMNIT TOGASHI
...I miss Gon and co., can we please get to the part where they're recruited and they go off on a new adventure already?

vareon

P7mkSl5.png

I really believed that after the past long hiatus (the longest yet), we would had a good number of chapters now. It seems there is no equivalent exchange in real life. :(

Just got around to ep 131. This Ant Arc is the most uninteresting interesting thing I've ever seen lol. That said, wow. This episode is just insane in all the right ways lol

iUPyX6rmTLjph.gif

dan2026

Just got around to ep 131. This Ant Arc is the most uninteresting interesting thing I've ever seen lol. That said, wow. This episode is just insane in all the right ways lol

iUPyX6rmTLjph.gif
What you've nver seen a man with 30 foot hair impale his own severed arm though a decapitated cat monster(that is still moving), before?

Nibel

So, I've read the most recent chapters after the anime ended.

Is it just me or was everything in there more or less a huge prequel to what's actually coming? Because the premise of the arc from the characters included to the goal sound very good and leave a lot of room for potential.

upandaway

So, I've read the most recent chapters after the anime ended.

Is it just me or was everything in there more or less a huge prequel to what's actually coming? Because the premise of the arc from the characters included to the goal sound very good and leave a lot of room for potential.
It looks to be the biggest arc yet, if you can even call it an arc. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up calling it Part 2.

Nibel

It looks to be the biggest arc yet, if you can even call it an arc. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up calling it Part 2.

That was my impression as well. The amount of new characters being introduced (some of which who look like they could rip a lot of people apart), the amount of preparation and the amount of new info given is bigger than anything else before it.

I couldn't believe my eyes when they said that the Dark Continent journey is a A mission while the Chimera Ant annihilation was just a B mission. Makes me wonder if this means that Chimera Ants are exactly that on the Dark Continent - ants. Ants compared to whatever else there is.

Maybe it is bad translations, but I can't follow what is going on with the dark continent chapters. The anime was easier to understand. Are there official english releases?

Why is the association recruiting new hunters from the hunter exam instead of sending their own?

Yonafunu

I couldn't believe my eyes when they said that the Dark Continent journey is a A mission while the Chimera Ant annihilation was just a B mission. Makes me wonder if this means that Chimera Ants are exactly that on the Dark Continent - ants. Ants compared to whatever else there is.

Chimera Ants as a species have pretty much infinite potential for evolution. Meruem could probably do some damage on the Dark Continent. But don't forget that as far as we know, Chimera Ants usually don't get as big as the Queen was. So I wouldn't be surprised if they're not that big of a deal over there. If a Queen managed to eat some crazy monster though...oh boy.

Also, with the Chimera Ant extermination they at least had some sort of idea what they were doing. Sure, they didn't have a clue how strong the Ants actually ended up being, but at the very least they were able to plan out the attack, train and prepare.
The Dark Continent expedition has a lot more unknown factors. Nobody knows exactly what they will encounter on the DC. They have to make sure Beyond doesn't escape, deal with Saiyu and possibly other moles among the Hunters, watch out for Beyond's own group (Pariston et al.) AND they have to explore the Dark Continent to bring back something good.
That's a lot of stuff to deal with, especially when your in the most dangerous environment possible.

LogicStep

I just caught up in the manga after the anime ended.... fuck man why did it have to stop. Ging is seriously awesome and all the characters are interesting to me and this new arc looks to be super epic... but I guess I'll never find out...

With the anime finished I started the manga.

WOW I love it. Pariston and Ging are amazing. It took a while to understand what was happening but now I am really excited. Such a shame he is sick again.

His drawing style is so strange. Some of the panels have nothing happening and then in something trivial like Ging's hand punching someone had so much attention to detail.

Jigolo

With the anime finished I started the manga.

WOW I love it. Pariston and Ging are amazing. It took a while to understand what was happening but now I am really excited. Such a shame he is sick again.

His drawing style is so strange. Some of the panels have nothing happening and then in something trivial like Ging's hand punching someone had so much attention to detail.

That Kurapika panel is amazing

Top Bottom