• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Patricia, strongest east pacific hurricane, set to make landfall in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Par Score

10384932_10103517177889207_1953333886316044398_n.jpg

This storm deserves a category of it's own.

GAF you're making me worry, is this really dangerous for Guadalajara? The day after Tomorrow level dangerous or worst/less? I'm I already dead? Because I have like no food supplies or medicine and its just raining a little bit and I'm actually chillin here watching GT Time....

Jesus, my cousins wife's family lives in Manzanillo.

I can't believe this thing turned from a tropical storm into the strongest recorded hurricane in history in 24 hours.

Never even heard of a time when even the hurricane hunters were too scared to fly in.

Really hope everyone stays safe down there.

Dai101

Banned
Yikes. Jalisco's gonna get fucked up.

Nah!!

c4jt321.png

Not really, this is scary. Just came back from the street (i'm in Guadalajara BTW) and shit is getting heavy gradually. There's already water everywhere and if anything goes like this by 7 we'll have floods everywhere.

Fuerza Jalisco and Colima GAF

Gracias. Esperemos que esto no pase a peores.

I feel bad for even considering the government will somehow use this disaster to divert attention from other important issies for months to come. At least we can get together as a country after these kind of disasters time after time.
The saddest part is that the most affected will be those that have less, thousands of families will lose everything they have, every fucking thing.

I live way south in Tabasco,, we're used to flooding here and it looks like this year we'll be safe from those.

Stay safe fellow mexicanos.

If i can give the government some compliments is for the Military and the DNII-E plan. They are always there when shit hits the fan and always on point.

No that simply would not happen. Those kinds of Republicans can rationalize anything. They'll chalk it up as an anomaly unrelated to climate change. To them, its also just coincidence that every year we experience the warmest global temperatures on record.

One big hurricane devastating the US wouldn't change their views I guarantee you

Exactly. They'll just "rationalize" this as being gawds wrath over gay marryage or something.

GAF you're making me worry, is this really dangerous for Guadalajara? The day after Tomorrow level dangerous or worst/less? I'm I already dead? Because I have like no food supplies or medicine and its just raining a little bit and I'm actually chillin here watching GT Time....

Not much, floods and heavy rain are a reality tho'. More than usual i mean, we all know how shit is the storm drains in nearly everywhere, specially in the zone of Plaza del Sol and M. Otero/L. Mateos.

NateDrake

Get off your ass and get supplies. You may not get hit with 200mph winds but expect wind and rain.

I can't believe this thing turned from a tropical storm into the strongest recorded hurricane in history in 24 hours.

Global warming = warmer oceans = faster developing and more powerful storms.

Blizzards might be bad on the US East Coast this winter too because of the same effect.

It's like 1996 and 2010 all over again. Every10 years or so, although it seems to be happening more frequently the past decade.

Africanus

Prepare for the worst, so that if it doesn't happen, you can laugh it off and continue.

For not preparing leaves you a lower chance.

cirrhosis

You'll be able to tell us the effect on Guadalajara within 24 hours. It'll be bad - it depends how much it weakens after landfall. You'll certainly get lots of rain. Probably power cuts as well. Get a supply of drinking water if you can find some.

NateDrake

Blizzards might be bad on the US East Coast this winter too because of the same effect.

It's like 1996 and 2010 all over again.

I thought the East Coast was going to be warmer than average and only slightly wetter.

I guess listen to what the local weather is advising. Since you are well inland the risk might be of flash flooding, but I do not know the area.

Last recon showed the strength is roughly the same and satellite is showing very cold cloud tops again which means it's strengthening.

Satellite image is showing slight weakening, actually. I don't mean it weakened to cat 2 or something, but it did weaken a bit.

Also, another stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_tPOy3EY4s

Nope. ADT still showing that it hasn't weakened:

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/adt/20E-list.txt
Hm. Weird. The satellite images definetely show something different, but I'll trust the data.

AlexBasch

Jajajaja. ):

Cuídense mucho por allá.

If i can give the government some compliments is for the Military and the DNII-E plan. They are always there when shit hits the fan and always on point.
Yeah, before the War on Drugs started in 2006, the military was more known by their efforts in emergency situations.

I mean, if we're talking about modern times, that is.

Roo

Expect heavy rain and wind but nothing to the point of running out of food, water, etc.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to do some shopping in stores near you simply because most of them will be closed all weekend but if you have enough for just this weekend then you'll be completely fine.

KDR_11k

It's like 1996 and 2010 all over again. Every10 years or so, although it seems to be happening more frequently the past decade.

Very strong El Nino too, that's probably an even bigger factor (dunno if El Nino strength is affected by general warming). 1996 was a strong El Nino too BTW, 2010 was an El Nino year but not a strong one.

Chris R

In Minnesota right now, but flying to Austin shortly. I hope my flight isn't delayed...

edit: not to be inconsiderate of the people that very may well die from this beast.

I remember freaking out about Hurricane Sandy, which ripped down a ton of trees and power lines in my town, and that was only a CAT 3.

I can't even imagine what these people are going to be dealing with.

Damaniel

Banned
10384932_10103517177889207_1953333886316044398_n.jpg

This storm deserves a category of it's own.

I was going to post this myself - it's a crystal clear picture of just how unprecedented this is among Pacific storms. In fact, I think the info in it is a little out of date and that the peak numbers were even a little higher. Pretty clear this would be a Category 6 if it existed.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I hadn't really paid much attention to this, but they mentioned on the news just a bit ago that this storm only formed on Wednesday. Not being a meteorologist, is it a bit unusual for a storm to go from first forming to historical strength in two days?

I hadn't really paid much attention to this, but they mentioned on the news just a bit ago that this storm only formed on Wednesday. Not being a meteorologist, is it a bit unusual for a storm to go from first forming to historical strength in two days?

Dr Jeff Masters :
Patricia's central pressure dropped an astonishing 100 mb in 24 hours, making it the fastest-intensifying hurricane ever observed in the Western Hemisphere. Patricia's pressure at 5 am EDT Thursday, October 22, 2015 was 980 mb, and was 880 mb at 5 am EDT Friday.

Tubie

It's very unusual. Specially since it went from Tropical Storm to a historic level Hurricane in less than 24 hours.

One heck of a beautiful image.

I hope that the deaths from will hurricane will remain small if not non-existent.

Some of the poor people live in the target areas in huts with thatched roofs and branches for walls. There will most certainly be death.

And the Mexican government sure as hell doesn't have the means to evacuate all these people to safety. Puerta Vallarta is probably going to be a refugee center in a another 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom