• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3: V Generation |OT| The Final Re;Make

Vylash

BxihyIb.png

Developer: Compile Heart, Felistella
Publisher: Idea Factory International
Platform: PS Vita
PSTV compatible: Yes
Release Date: December 18th, 2014 (JP) June 30th, 2015 (NA) July 3rd, 2015 (EU physical) July 8th, 2015 (EU digital)

ahjuhr4.png

It's time to Nep-Nep like it's 1989. Neptune's been sucked into an alternate dimension of Gamindustri! In order for her to escape from this late '80s world, Neptune will have to collect enough shares to open up the path to her own dimension. Sounds easy enough - except a nefarious alliance called the Seven Sages wants to rid Gamindustri of all CPUs, including Neptune!

Forging cross-dimensional friendships, will Neptune be able to defeat the Seven Sages, save this alternate dimension and get back to her own, or will she be stuck in the '80s forever?

HeCT4au.png

kcyT7Mb.jpg

moSFG7j.jpg

jJ7l7Df.jpg
oPrrdMz.jpg

0HhmnIF.png

LlYGRgj.png

Combos are still as customizable as ever, but Re;Birth 3 adds a 5th combo slot that gives you an extra attack in exchange for waiting a bit longer for your next turn

5XOsXd6.png

You can finally see what a costume looks like before purchasing it from the show, in addition, you can instantly equip anything you buy from the shot to a character

ffK42Do.png

SerTapTap

Not really far enough in this one to give an opinion. They seem to change a bit more than I expected, but it still feels like it hurts a bit from Rebirth 1 &2 mostly being added on to by bits of Victory. Disappointed it's not fully voiced either (seems to be about the same as the original Victory release in terms of coverage). So while Victory was easily the best gameplay-wise of the original trio it more or less feels like just another entry in the Rebirths so far, I'd still recommend it though.

Victory 2 is the main event though

Also, selfishly, I'm almost glad I barely got to play before-release because now I'll be able to play with the free DLC characters. As a reviewer it's a pain in the ass to miss out on the free DLC that basically every single IFI game has, and this game has a particularly significant amount (all the characters ever).

You can finally see what a costume looks like before purchasing it from the show, in addition, you can instantly equip anything you buy from the shot to a character

Victory 2 has this too, it's nice. They also seem to have grabbed the 4th combo slot from Victory 2.

Brew124

Nicely done! This was the only one from the original trilogy that I played on PS3. Have since played through the updated versions on the Vita of the first two, and I'm looking forward to receiving my copy of this one this week!

Vylash

Also, selfishly, I'm almost glad I barely got to play before-release because now I'll be able to play with the free DLC characters. As a reviewer it's a pain in the ass to miss out on the free DLC that basically every single IFI game has, and this game has a particularly significant amount (all the characters ever).

same here actually, i'll finally get to go through the game for the first time with the dlc characters, haven't gotten to do that since mk2

SerTapTap

same here actually, i'll finally get to go through the game for the first time with the dlc characters, haven't gotten to do that since mk2

I'm glad IFI just dumps the DLC (that was already finished before localizing) day one though, IIRC when NISA had the games they drip-fed them and I ended up beating victory before I even knew it had DLC characters. Which sucks, CC2 is one of my fav characters. I think I'll run this one with CC2, Histoire, Chika and someone else as my mains
and see how horribly that goes because Makers are always under powered until Victory 2

It's interesting that the combat system takes the regening SP system from Mk2 but with some improvements. I really liked the idea of that system but it was executed really poorly. Victory 2 and, oddly, Neptunia U, handle that idea much better. Less sure about this game since I barely have SP skills worth using yet (I just got to chapter 2)

Durante

I'm looking forward to the Steam release of this, since I haven't played the original V.

Playing Re;Birth 1 was nice, but still quite repetitive because I knew the story; and that's why I skipped Re;Birth 2.

SerTapTap

Oh right, I made a guide to Neptunia guides because finding guides is a mess for this series for some reason. There's some Victory guides that are probably 90% accurate for drop/monster locations, but I don't know of any Rebirth 3 specific guides yet for reasons you can guess. If anyone finds good ones let me know and I'll add 'em to the list.

I hear True Ending is about unlocking dungeons via plans instead of scouting now, but I at least assume the materials you need will still be in the same maps/monsters as before. Mostly.

Sorry to be nitpicky, but shouldn't that be Felistella instead of Tamsoft? They're on PP/U/Zombie.

Yes, Felistella does support on the Rebirths. Tamsoft does the spinoffs

Vylash

I'm glad IFI just dumps the DLC (that was already finished before localizing) day one though, IIRC when NISA had the games they drip-fed them and I ended up beating victory before I even knew it had DLC characters. Which sucks, CC2 is one of my fav characters. I think I'll run this one with CC2, Histoire, Chika and someone else as my mains
and see how horribly that goes because Makers are always under powered until Victory 2
yeah NISA decided to follow Compile Heart's jp release schedule for reasons unknown, so CC2/MAGES/Tekken came out when i was already done with the game

Sorry to be nitpicky, but shouldn't that be Felistella instead of Tamsoft? They're on PP/U/Zombie.
right, i can't even keep track anymore

Has anyone got an e-mail for their limited edition being shipped? I thought I'm getting it before on release date since that's what happened to the other games I've bought from their site.

EDIT: just the e-mail arriving on Wednesday.

The remake of the only Nepu game I have finished.... and I actually want to play it because Plutia is the best.

I'm actually going through Victory PS3 while I wait for the Steam version.

Wow...the frame-rate. It's shockingly bad.

I don't know how I finished Victory when the frame-rate was that shitty. At times I just had to restart my console because I got single digit fps during battles.

I don't know how I finished Victory when the frame-rate was that shitty. At times I just had to restart my console because I got single digit fps during battles.

Good times ahead.
Oh well, I bought the game for practically nothing off a random PSN sale.
I should at least try to get my money's worth.

Ryuukan

DLC is up on PSN via vita store search

JP VA is 823mb

EDIT: Everything is free except for one $0.99 pack that has super exp up and the stella dungeon stuff

EDIT2: DLC is about 2gb total

SephLuis

I am on chapter 9 and still not sure if I will get the good or true ending. I am trying the true, but one dungeon I cant find the itens for the plan.

In victory there was a few events and that is what I was looking for. Don't know if they changed the true ending conditions for thia release.

anderedna

It released today? Nice to see lots of returning characters from R2, and the story sounds like continuation of that as well. I'll pick this up later as I'm still burned out from platting Noire last weekend. Hopefully there'll be a nice sale on PSN in the future.

Seriously I'm playing this legacy device more than PS4. Thanks a lot niche Japanese games.

I want to play these on my PS TV but the first one isn't compatible with it. If I start on the second one will I miss out on the story?

SerTapTap

I want to play these on my PS TV but the first one isn't compatible with it. If I start on the second one will I miss out on the story?

No, it sort of sucks to miss the intro to the 4 main characters, but they're barely even in Rebirth 2 and Rebirth 3 re-introduces you to everyone anyway. And the first game is all but non-canon at this point, the characters in Victory (and Victory 2 maybe?) seem to be the same as in game 2 not 1. Reb 2 is probably better to start on gameplay-wise anyway, reb 1 has difficulty spikes, the only game in the series like that really.

Still dunno why they can't get game 1 working on PS TV. PP I'll accept as a loss because the NISA/IFI split.

I am on chapter 9 and still not sure if I will get the good or true ending. I am trying the true, but one dungeon I cant find the itens for the plan.

In victory there was a few events and that is what I was looking for. Don't know if they changed the true ending conditions for thia release.
Check and see if the materials you need are on this list, it's for Victory but it might still be accurate enough.

Ryuukan

Hearing "Kangaru no you ni" from Rie Tanaka never gets old

you guys can enjoy your melvin farn or whoever voices Neptune in the dub

Vylash

i continue to be amazed at how cool IFI is about their DLC, iirc NISA charged like 3 or 4 dollars for the Compa/IF DLC, and here IFI is giving it away for free, i love them

SerTapTap

Yeah my LE is two days away too.

i continue to be amazed at how cool IFI is about their DLC, iirc NISA charged like 3 or 4 dollars for the Compa/IF DLC, and here IFI is giving it away for free, i love them

Then again these are re-releases, they might have been cheap/free in Japan? But even level packs for free this time is pretty crazy good. Victory 2 is the real test as there's fairly expensive evening gown DLC...I think...I might have gotten confused by yen prices again.

SerTapTap

Goddamn, does it still reuse the assets from re:birth 1?

Actually, Rebirth 1 & 2 reuse a bunch of assets and 90% of the combat system from Victory, the game this is remaking. There's still new maps and stuff not seen in Rebirth 1&2, and at least one brand new dungeon type, but Rebirth 3 isn't a huge leap over reb 1&2 like Victory was over Mk2 and HDN1 because all of Victory's cool extras were used to fix up the other two.

For maximum confusion, Rebirth 3 remakes Mk2's weirdo SP system instead of Victory's regular MP meter style that's present in reb 1& 2.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Actually, Rebirth 1 & 2 reuse a bunch of assets and 90% of the combat system from Victory, the game this is remaking. There's still new maps and stuff not seen in Rebirth 1&2, and at least one brand new dungeon type, but Rebirth 3 isn't a huge leap over reb 1&2 like Victory was over Mk2 and HDN1 because all of Victory's cool extras were used to fix up the other two.

For maximum confusion, Rebirth 3 remakes Mk2's weirdo SP system instead of Victory's regular MP meter style that's present in reb 1& 2.

Yeah, honestly I didn't mind rebirth 1, but the extreme repeat of assets makes me hesitate jumping in again.

HGH

Banned
Here are the conditions for the different endings, sadly no indications as to where to find the plans and such. It would appear they might be mostly be in optional dungeons, secret blocks, and Stella?

Check above, maybe it might help? Also the, Nepedia is much better at listing what drops what items, so if none of the enemies in the list drop what you need, you might need to open up a new dungeon through a Plan?

my copy arrived and it doesn't work

i'm not even mad, i'm impressed
I saw a post elsewhere complaining about this.
If there's a shipment of defective cartridges...yikes...
And that's why I like my stuff digital.

Evilmaus

Anyone care to suggest the best game in the series to start with for someone new? I've been wanting to play these games but the titles have left me a little confused with where to start.

Vylash

Anyone care to suggest the best game in the series to start with for someone new? I've been wanting to play these games but the titles have left me a little confused with where to start.

Re;Birth 2, also you can completely ignore all of the PS3 games, they're obsolete

SerTapTap

Probably Rebirth 2 or 3...story-wise, reb 1 is the best to start with, but it has some annoying difficulty spikes and linearity doesn't matter very much. Do play all the rebirths. Neptunia U is a very worthy side game but you should play at least reb 1&2 first.

PS3 games are all remade on Vita/PC and there's really not reason for anyone but a collector or a PS3-only owner to chase them down anymore. The games improve a lot each time and they never performed well on PS3 anyway

Here are the conditions for the different endings, sadly no indications as to where to find the plans and such. It would appear they might be mostly be in optional dungeons, secret blocks, and Stella?

Check above, maybe it might help? Also the, Nepedia is much better at listing what drops what items, so if none of the enemies in the list drop what you need, you might need to open up a new dungeon through a Plan?

Did they fix the nepedia to not require an enemy to drop an item before you know the drops? Victory 2 made that change, huge improvement since you can fight an enemy once and know all it's drops.

Yeah, honestly I didn't mind rebirth 1, but the extreme repeat of assets makes me hesitate jumping in again.

Combat is fairly different and you get to start with basically any non-main character you want thanks to the DLC which should keep it fresh, and the story/humor is all fresh too of course. It's a bit annoying but I don't think it's worth holding off on the game for since background art isn't really a selling point. It was nice to see all the new areas in Victory 2 and all the somewhat improved versions of the old maps (I need to do comparison shots, I'm not sure what's different beyond lighting, but it's nice enough)

Almost makes me wish I got the LEs for 2 and 3 to complete my collection now.

The PC versions are what stopped me.

You can get the Vita LEs and sell the game, the game actually makes up most of the cost of the LE anyway. Myself I buy them all and play them anyway, then I buy the PC versions to not play. PC remains just enough of a pain in my ass I don't really want to play a game this long on one.

Start with Rebirth 1 if possible, otherwise Rebirth 3 is a solid choice. The problem with starting on Rebirth 2 is that it's not really representative of the rest of the series, the story isn't anywhere near as lighthearted and side characters take the starring roles while the main 4 characters are in the background. RB2 finds itself in an odd place since the series originally had a far more serious tone, but the original Neptunia got a complete overhaul for RB1 and feels like a brand new sequel, whereas RB2 is very clearly just Mk.2 with overhauled gameplay.

Top Bottom