• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't deal with the german titles for the new Planet of the Apes trilogy

SilentRob

Somebody help me.

For whatever reason quite a few publishers in germany tend to give Hollywood movies new titles for the local market. "But that makes sense", you say. "Obviously they get german titles so everyone understands them." But no. They don't. Instead, they get DIFFERENT english titles. Or a mix of both. One of the most baffling examples for this is the new Planet of the Apes trilogy and this is so utterly nonsensica that I need some help coming to grasp with it.

SO. Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Honestly, not a great title. Two "of the" in one title? Kinda ugy. Translating it into german would sound...even weirder. "Der Aufstieg des Planeten der Affen" doesn't really roll of the tongue. So, instead we got:

TOxDzxe.jpg

Wait. Prevolution? What the fuck is that? I mean, I get it, it's a prequel, funny play on words, but really? Prevolution? Alright...It does work. It's bad and cheesy but sure, hey, why the fuck not. And they even translated "Planet of the Apes" into german with "Planet der Affen"! And since "Revolution" and "Evolution" have the same meaning in german, you could argue this is a completely german title. That wordplay is fucking terrible, but sure, let's see where this is going.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. What do you got, german publisher?

FpDV8Ux.jpg

Ooooooooh. Alright. I see where you are going with this. You're setting yourself up for a trilogy, eh? Prevolution turns into Revolution turns into Evolution. Alright, I can dig it. Trying a little too hard for my taste but hey, it makes sense. Nice job, Publisher! Just have to wait to get an official poster for War for the Planet of the Apes aaaannnd...

j22pFwR.jpg

WAIT. FUCKING WAIT. What. No, wait. What's happening? What are you doing? Survival?! An english subtitle?! Now?! What happened to that whole Prevolution bullshit? Why did you go through the trouble of translating "Planet of the Apes" only to then use ANOTHER ENGLISH WORD as a subtitle? Why did you even feel the need to translate the original english title in the first place, then? YOU LITERALLY HAVE A RACE OF MONKEYS TURNING INTO THE DOMINANT RACE THANKS TO MAN MADE EVOLUTION. You just had to delete another letter from the previous subtitle!

Prevolution->Revolution->SURVIVAL.

I can't. Please. Somebody explain this to me.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Survival...of the fittest? Which is a commonly-cited reduction of evolutionary theory?

I dunno, I got nothin'. OP's right, this is a pretty obvious ball drop.

How about we try to figure out who the hell is designing the German posters? Because that shit is flames and makes the NA ones look like ass.

And not gorgeous ass like Bria Myles or LA The Love Boss either!

This reminds me of the Québec translation of the original Die Hard trilogy of films.

Piège de cristal (Die Hard)
58 minute pour vivre (Die Hard 2)
Marche ou crève (Die Hard 3)

The French titles of the first two movies are taken from the translated titles of the books upon which the two movies were based. The third movie's title isn't, but it doesn't matter as I love it. I just sounds so good.

jett

D-Member
lol the Latin American titles went through something similar:

The Planet of the Apes: (R)evolution.
Got cute.
The Planet of the Apes Confrontation. Okay, it kinda rhymes with the previous subtitle, I get it.
The Planet of the Apes: The War. They just stopped giving a shit.

cyba89

They translated the title into "Planet der Affen" because it's a know property for almost 50 years now.

The Survival thing is dumb I agree.

aBarreras

247579_v1.jpg

Foreign translations of film titles always seem like a crapshoot

oh come on,

at least papa por siempre makes more sense than Ms doubtfire.

mi pobre angelito is kinda shit tho,

they even make fun of it on orange is the new black, where a hispanic inmate doesnt know what the fuck "home alone" is

jett

D-Member
IN Brazil, Teen Wolf was titled "Boy from the Future" to try to capitalize off of the success of Back to the Future there.

If you want something worse, The Pagemaster, this thing right here:

svBIaCw.jpg

Was marketed as Mi Pobre Angelito 3 ("My Poor Little Angel", i.e. Home Alone 3) where I live. 95% of it is an animated movie, and they shamelessly used the remaining 5% in the TV ads haha.

Then there's The Good Son
220px-The_Good_Son_%28movie_poster%29.jpg

Which was translated as El Angel Malvado (The Evil Angel).

If you want something worse, The Pagemaster, this thing right here:

svBIaCw.jpg

Was marketed as Mi Pobre Angelito 3 ("My Poor Little Angel", i.e. Home Alone 3) where I live. 95% of it is an animated movie, and they shamelessly used the remaining 5% in the TV ads haha.

It's not like we aren't familiar with that kind of thing over here in the US, as there was a trend of taking some low budget (possibly foreign) schlock films and re-titling it something like "Alien 2" or "Russian Terminator" to make a quick buck on VHS.

Jokab

ett_paron_till_farsa_83.jpg

So this is National Lampoon's Vacation, in Swedish titled "Ett Päron till Farsa". Directly translated it turns out to "A Pear for a Father" in the sense that the father is a pear. It's sort of a play on words since "päron" is both "pear" (which I guess is supposed to signify a stupid person? or something) and slang for "parents", but it's just super dumb. I have no idea how they arrived at this shitty and confusing title.

Top Bottom