• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I changed my mind, backwards compatability IS important. (DDEs)

Slo

Last night while playing Crimson Skies, I got my very first pair of dirty disk errors. Stupid Thompson drive, and stupid me for buying a used Xbox. :( So now I'm in the market for either a Samsung drive replacement or a brand new Xbox. Timing couldn't be worse, it's right before the big release season and being a poor bastard, I barely have enough cash to buy the big Xbox titles this year, let alone replace hardware.

So how much time do I likely have before I need to take action? Are certain games more prone to DDEs? Anybody have this problem only intermitently, or am I going to see the drive deteriorate really hard and really fast.

This really sucks. :(

Deku Tree

I've heard that MS sometimes fixes things like that no questions asked if you get really mad @ them on the phone.

Slo

My Xbox has been opened. Even if I were to bitch at them on the phone, they'd take one look at it and send it back to me.

Slo

No. I bought it used (cheap) with a bad DVD-rom drive. Because I'm an idiot, I bought another Thompson drive off the net and replaced it myself about 1.5 years ago. So it's been opened, but it's not chipped. By the time I was done it would have been about the same price to just buy a new Xbox, and now here I am.

Sysgen

Sell it to EB, get what you can and then buy a new or reconditioned unit and make sure it has a warranty and a non Tompson drive.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Slo said:
Anybody know what I guy would get for a used Xbox at EB?

No, but if you can get it to play most games...GameStop is giving $100 in trade right now. Pretty impressive. Same for PS2 around here. It's only $20 more to get a used one.

Slo

I just called my Gamestop and they'll give me $100 in store credit. I suppose I'll have to wait for a shift change before I use that credit to buy a new Xbox. :p

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Slo said:
I just called my Gamestop and they'll give me $100 in store credit. I suppose I'll have to wait for a shift change before I use that credit to buy a new Xbox. :p

I did that back in 2002, but I didn't even wait for the shift change. Once everything was said and done, I just asked for a new Xbox. When they looked at me funny, I just said "Its a gift. You wouldn't want someone to give you a used xbox for a gift, now would you?"
I like giving myself gifts.
Be careful though, they might not take it if they notice its been opened. Of course Gamestop almost did that with my first PS2, until the manager said that they needed used PS2s.
Don't buy used from these places.

Top Bottom