• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have Digital Libraries guaranteed PlayStation, Nintendo and Steam’s future dominance?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Again, libraries skewed far more physical back then, so digital BC wasn’t as much an importance when designing the architecture of the new machines.
And because of that if Sony, Nintendo or Valve go bankrupt you think they will not pull the plug of their digital stores???

Last edited:

StereoVsn

You’ll have to convince me in 2024 and beyond, where digital libraries are the future, that Playstation would suddenly go back to 2005 and make a console that would be built so differently that it would deny access to most or all of that library.
I am apprehensive that Sony goes all digital with PS6, which would make it impossible to play physical disks from PS4 and PS5 on new hardware.

I can see MS going to ARM though and supporting previous gen through translation layer despite some issues.

DeVeAn

We need some type of universal library like movies anywhere type of thing. My guess is in future you pick the controller you like and connect to a device. Consoles will exist, but only enthusiasts will buy for slighter better experience.

dmaul1114

Neo Member
I am apprehensive that Sony goes all digital with PS6, which would make it impossible to play physical disks from PS4 and PS5 on new hardware.

I can see MS going to ARM though and supporting previous gen through translation layer despite some issues.
Imagine it will be like PS5 Pro. All digital standard, disc drive available as an add on.

Natsuko

I think that plays an important role for some people. I was very active on the Xbox for a long time. And that was certainly also due to the fact that I already had hundreds of games for the Xbox back in the Xbox 360 days. And only came to PlayStation quite late. I simply didn't have the money for all the consoles back then. I had Nintendo and later, as an apprentice, I also had an Xbox. It wasn't until a few generations later that I got a PlayStation. I was pretty happy with the Xbox until the Xbox 360. I found the Xbox One difficult, the Series even more so. But the many games I already had made me buy multiplatform games for Xbox for a long time.

But the Xbox is primarily only used so much here because it's very lucrative as a family. Without the children, it would hardly play a role for me. I like Japanese games and the Xbox Series X is simply not the best console for that. There's a lot of stuff everywhere now, but it fails when it comes to exclusive games. That's where Nintendo and Sony are still clearly ahead.

If it wasn't for the large library, I might have long since moved away from the Xbox. And even more so without the children. Nevertheless, I'm currently not so sure whether I would buy a new Xbox again. You don't need a new Xbox to play existing games.

Apologies, just wanted to clarify that my response towards him and the thread was about digital purchases and not discs.

At best disc owners can hope that some sort of bar code -> digital transfer program is created when we eventually go all digital.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Nintendo will screw this up at some point. They will eventually reset the console again and this will force people to play their old games on a newer Steam Deck-like device.

Yeah but for Nintendo it's a double-edged sword. How can they sell you a port for the 15th time if BC exists?

Hopefully they realise the stickiness on digital BC outweighs outselling shit.

I think they’re now run by a much smarter bunch than when Iwata (RIP) was in charge.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

At this point I think these 3 brands are too big to fail, the main reason…

Digital Libraries

There’s always been brand loyalty in gaming, I remember the Nintendo vs Sega playground arguments. However now more than ever people are sticking with a brand, not because of sheer fanboyism, but because of huge investments in building digital libraries making customers feel confined to walled gardens. This, for me, is making it seem that it’s now almost impossible for anyone else to come along and be a serious challenger in the market.

I can foresee, in decades down the line, the below still dominate…

Steam
Online MAU - 132m
Hardware - HUGE

The oldest online ecosystem going all the way back to 2003, they’re the dominant PC storefront despite competition from the likes of Epic. Lack studios and IP is their only issue. With Microsoft’s misfortunes of late, there’s an opportunity for them to get a small foothold in the console space too, as they’ve done with SteamDeck.

PlayStation
Online MAU - 116m
Hardware - 180m (PS4 + PS5)

No company has managed to be successful in every console generation other than Sony, they effectively killed Sega in one go and only the 360 ever challenged them. Despite slower games output PS5 is as successful as PS4 was. At this point I don’t even think an Xbox One level fucked up would dent marketshare.

Nintendo
Online MAU - unknown
Hardware - 144m (Switch)

Dominant in handheld gaming since the late 80s with every system being a success. The only other system to be successful in this category was the PSP (82m sold) and Nintendo still beat it handsomely. With Switch 2 following a simple brand sequence and backwards compatibility.

Xbox
Online MAU - 120m (disputed both ways)
Hardware - estimated 80m (One + Series)

Not included in the thread title because Im not sure dominance would be the right word for them. Despite the Xbox One reveal fuck up, despite PC day one, despite starting to go 3rd party, despite Microsoft they’ve still managed to sell nearly 30 million Series consoles. I know people who still buy Xbox and moan about it because it’s what they’ve always done. A great example of brand loyalty and the stickiness of libraries.

From here on any potential challenger like Samsung or Tencent would have to build or buy dev studios, get third parties onboard and compete with companies where people have spent hundreds (even thousands) and game libraries that they can’t trade or sell.

What about streaming? Well any competitor is starting from scratch against these big boys.

What about mobile? The absolute failure of the likes of Resident Evil and Death Stranding on iPhone have proved that mobile gamers have been conditioned to not buy games.

What do you guys think, are the top 3 now as invulnerable as Pepsi vs Coke or iOS vs Android?
I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to drop backwards compatibility again.

They already had a robust estore that they casually dumped with nothing carrying over

Last edited:
I own everything physically as well, cause Nintendo. But this was about digital libraries. Ain’t nobody buying digital Nintendo games!

I think Nintendo are about to have their smoothest console transition in history

- Simple naming… Switch > Switch 2
- BC, they’re sticking with nVidia for the forseeable

bitbydeath

I think people put too much stock in that people actually replay old games. I think this is restricted to hardcore gamers only, and even then that bucket is limited to a mere handful.

Who really has the time when most can barely keep up with new games or have backlogs?

Fbh

Gold Member
It definitely gives them a major competitive advantage that's going to make it even harder for a competitor to enter the market. And it's an advantage that will only keep growing.

RoboCain

I've invested in all ecosystems and ever since the Steam Deck released I just realized than PC is the future one way or the other and stopped buying game from the other platforms all together.

Looking at the past couple of years you can tell companies also think this as well and that's why Xbox went hard on streaming, owning IPs and studios and anounce that they are going third party in the future. PS also expanded their business to be on PC as well.

Propietary hardware is done, and now there is an ecosystem race. Once there is infinite supply of hardware options to consume the content you own, and since games are no longer a commodity in the future people may choose a platform solely based on its ability to be accessed on a specific device.

Last edited:
yeah a physical games ownership absolutist, (which ironically seems to coincide with strong faith in console gaming) would have to wait 2 years to get the last revision of a physical game in most cases. boxed games are just a transferable license key.
Well at least you can sell that license key unlike anything from Steam or other digital storefronts.

SHA

Last time I checked, the ps5 is for ratchet, spider man and astro, seriously! These are the only real ps5 games besides the reskined demon souls, can you be honest for a sec and tell me those 60 m Ps5 owners were expecting these 3 games only or they just made their decision for brand loyalty? Cause all the jokes about xbox seems on past tense.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Mouthful incoming

*Me playing games on Nvidia Geforce Now Founders RTX 4080 on Ultra Quality DLSS/DLAA (Max Everything) GSync/Reflex through Steam/Epic/Xbox Live/Gog with a Dual Sense/Microsoft controller/KB/M (RTS only) on an LG OLED/AR Glasses or my Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra anywhere in the world At 4K/2K/Res of Hardware at 120/240 FPS - $90 for 6 Months on Ultra Tier*

You guys with your boxes are living in the past. I get a free upgrade to the 5080 next year as well or any 80 series card for free for life as long as the service remains online (their tiers are almost always sold out). Regional store pricing, free games and BC forever. FREE ONLINE. PC is the future.

2 Decades of PS and its ecosystem and it was a no-brainer to just move on. Hobbies aren't akin to breathing.

Kataploom

Gold Member
One of the reasons a console is not an option for my couch gaming is because I've already built a Steam library for years and don't want to split it, unless for an occasional gog purchase but even regional pricing on Steam has me not even bothering with gog anyway. And believe me, I'm in kinda urgency to build a smaller box since it's too big for the living room, so I rather wait a little more and build a mITX PC instead even tho that's more expensive.

Jesb

I feel steams dominance will never be able to be faded. When your investing in pc you have the biggest library by far available. You also have streaming options with GFN which I believe will be the future of gaming. Steam will be compatible with more devices than ever before.

ZehDon

Of course. And they all know it. Xbox's Phil Spencer already confirmed Microsoft's understanding of this during the Redfall debacle: "We lost the worst generation to lose in the Xbox One generation where everybody built their digital library of games." One of the reasons for Xbox's industry leading backwards compatibility and services like Smart Delivery is to give people as many reasons as possible to stay with Xbox.

Outside of consoles, look at how hard Epic has worked to try and build even a small foothold in PC gaming - using Fortnite at the gateway to its store, and then giving away hundreds of millions in free games and buying up PC exclusives to try and get someone to stick with their store. And now Epic's highest profile partners are walking back their support because it's just straight up not working. You can't compete with Steam because, hey, why use three different stores with all of their non-sense when I can just use one?

I suspect this is a key driver in Xbox's shift to a PC-hybrid model: by side-loading Steam onto their hardware, they can leverage your Steam library to keep you in their ecosystem because PlayStation wouldn't allow Steam to operate on their console.

On a long enough time line, I imagine Steam and PlayStation's respectively established monopolies will become a problem.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Last time I checked, the ps5 is for ratchet, spider man and astro, seriously! These are the only real ps5 games besides the reskined demon souls, can you be honest for a sec and tell me those 60 m Ps5 owners were expecting these 3 games only or they just made their decision for brand loyalty? Cause all the jokes about xbox seems on past tense.
Errr, what does this have to do with the OP?

the PS4 will be obsolete some day soon.
iu

Griffon

Not really.

Roblox has been megahuge for years and didn't feature in any of those stores for the longest time. On PC Fortnite isnt on Steam and is doing more than fine, same for many other games like League of Legends and others I forget.

As for myself, I would barely hesitate to buy a game outside of Steam if it's real good. Don't assume it's impossible just because EGS actively sucks donkey ass.

Last edited:
An interesting comparison here would be Apple and how they’ve managed to “trap” their customers into a “walled garden” ensuring brand loyalty

Top Bottom