• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I decided to get an older CPU for my new build.

nkarafo

He may well know his next machine will probably be AMD and just wants Intel's last known good one first.
Something like that, yes.

I had a few bad experiences with AMD products in the past but never with Intel or Nvidia. Heck, my current build is 10+ years old, operating 12+ hours/day and i never had any stability or heat issues.

Having said that, this will be the last chance i'm giving to intel.

nkarafo

Windows 10 has a severe performance hit on 12400 because it's the only Alder Lake without e-core I would update to windows 11 or get a 12600kf.
It's because it doesn't have e-cores that it works better in Windown 10. The ones with e-cores suck in Windows 10 because the OS has issues with scheduling so sometimes it uses e-cores when it should use p-cores, or at least that's what i hear.

marquimvfs

The ones with e-cores suck in Windows 10 because the OS has issues with scheduling so sometimes it uses e-cores when it should use p-cores, or at least that's what i hear.
That happens in every O.S. It depends on the software that you're running. Windows 11 tries harder than 10 not to fuck things regarding asymmetrical cores, but the result are still mixed.

I'm also not a fan of the Intel shitty kludge, so I agree with you. Get a pc with as much as symmetrical cores as you can afford.

Last edited:

Paulistano

It's because it doesn't have e-cores that it works better in Windown 10. The ones with e-cores suck in Windows 10 because the OS has issues with scheduling so sometimes it uses e-cores when it should use p-cores, or at least that's what i hear.
Because it doesn't have e cores it will have problems with the windows 10 scheduler... I used to have a 12400 and it was pitiful in windows 10 with about 15% less single core... vs 11, maybe, and just maybe this backporting of windows 11 24h2 patch for windows 10 resolved it.

I currently still use a Ryzen 5 3600. I had a 5600X that I got for cheap from a friend but my PC was BSODing so I switched back and I have no issues. I play at 1440p and 4K (KTC OLED and LG C2 tv) and it's just not worth it to upgrade right now as whenever I look at benchmarks (last I looked was 5700x3d vs 3600 however) it was like a 3-5 fps difference in most games which is not worth the switch.

Quixz

It's the i5 12400.

There are a lot of reasons that make this particular CPU my only choice:

- I do a lot of emulation. Intel CPUs traditionally perform better on emulation and AFAIK, they still do.
- 13th and 14th gen Intel CPUs suck. So the last good gen was the 12th.
- I don't want to wait any longer (i'm still on i5 4670). Intel's next CPUs will change drastically so it will be like the first generation of a new thing. I don't trust 1st generation things, especially from intel.
- I hate Intel's E cores design. The i5 12400 is still the most powerful Intel CPU (and the last i5) that doesn't have them. Besides, i'm keeping Windows 10 so i won't have the better scheduling of 11.
- It's one of the greatest values right now. You pay like 1/5th of the price of the most powerful CPUs and you get more than half of their performance.
- I like efficient CPUs that don't consume a ton of power. This one seems to be one of the most efficient and the easiest to cool.
- Makes a good balance with a RTX 3060 or a 5060 (if it doesn't suck). Can probably drive a 4070 without bottleneck. I can't afford a bigger GPU either way.

Do you agree with my reasoning? Any other advice that may change my mind?
I recommend a Ryzen 7600, faster and not on a dead platform.

nkarafo

Because it doesn't have e cores it will have problems with the windows 10 scheduler...
But that doesn't make sense... How can it have problems with the scheduler when all the cores are the same Performance cores? There's nothing to confuse here, it can't use the "wrong core" since they all perform the same.

The scheduler in Windows 10 fucks up when the CPU has e-cores because these are not as fast and sometimes it uses them when it should use the faster cores instead. People even disable the e-cores in various games and emulators in order to fix these performance issues.

The 12400 only has fast P-cores, whatever core the scheduler decides to use it will have the same (optimal) performance.

Hoddi

FWIW, people make too much fuss over the P/E cores as well as the split CCX setup on certain AMD processors. You might lose a few frames here and there when things go wrong but people also tend to blow it out of proportion.

You're still making a solid build though. I recently upgraded my own 9900k to 7950X3D and your i5-12400 should fall somewhere in-between them. The 7950X3D is much faster than 9900k at regular PC games but emulation doesn't scale as linearly.

KJ0rJ0Q.png

Tarin02543

12400 great choice, I have the 12100. last cpu on LGA1700 will be Bartlett lake, a revision of raptor lake refresh with the top dog being a 12 p core only sku. Hopefully this one will be have all the 13/14th gen kinks ironed out.

Bartless lake will release next year in January with the p core only versions around summer time.

Paulistano

But that doesn't make sense... How can it have problems with the scheduler when all the cores are the same Performance cores? There's nothing to confuse here, it can't use the "wrong core" since they all perform the same.

The scheduler in Windows 10 fucks up when the CPU has e-cores because these are not as fast and sometimes it uses them when it should use the faster cores instead. People even disable the e-cores in various games and emulators in order to fix these performance issues.

The 12400 only has fast P-cores, whatever core the scheduler decides to use it will have the same (optimal) performance.
That's ok man, install Windows 10, enjoy.

nkarafo

Ok so i got all the stuff:

CPU - i5 12400 (H0) SRL5y (This specific version has better idle power consumption)
MB - Gigabyte Z790 UD AX
RAM - GSkill 64GB (2x32) DDR5 6000 CL 30 (these are future proof for the next build)
CPU cooler - Arctic Freezer 36 (i had to get a cooler because my old one doesn't fit. Also, this one has a custom bracket that fixes the bending issue of the LG1700 socket.

I will keep my current GTX 1060 for now, until the 5060 is released. I will also keep my current drives and SSDs.

One thing remains though and i would like some help:

I didn't get a new PSU. My budget doesn't let me get one for at least a couple of months. So i will have to use my current one. It's a good PSU though. It's a Seasonic M12II 620W. I know it's a quality PSU that will handle these parts with ease and more than 200w headroom. My only concern is it's age. I don't remember when i got it but it should be at least 8 years old. Now i do have older PCs with even older PSUs that aren't even at the same level of quality and they still work fine. I just feel a bit uncomfortable plugging all the brand new stuff on it. Am i doing a goof here or is it OK? It's probably OK. Right? It's only for a couple of months until i get a new Seasonic Focus 850w.

Hohenheim

I'm currently using a ryzen 5 7600 on my 4070 Super build. Not the most awesome cpu on paper, but seems to fits nicely with that gpu, and pretty cheap.

winjer

Gold Member
I didn't get a new PSU. My budget doesn't let me get one for at least a couple of months. So i will have to use my current one. It's a good PSU though. It's a Seasonic M12II 620W. I know it's a quality PSU that will handle these parts with ease and more than 200w headroom. My only concern is it's age. I don't remember when i got it but it should be at least 8 years old. Now i do have older PCs with even older PSUs that aren't even at the same level of quality and they still work fine. I just feel a bit uncomfortable plugging all the brand new stuff on it. Am i doing a goof here or is it OK? It's probably OK. Right? It's only for a couple of months until i get a new Seasonic Focus 850w.

That PSU has a life expectancy, by the manufacturer, of 50,000 hours for the fans and 100,00 hours for the electrics.
Make an estimate of how many hours per day you have used it, to calculate how many hours you have put into it.
I doubt you have surpassed so many hours.

Last edited:

nkarafo

That PSU has a life expectancy, by the manufacturer, of 50,000 hours for the fans and 100,00 hours for the electrics.
Make an estimate of how many hours per day you have used it, to calculate how many hours you have put into it.
I doubt you have surpassed so many hours.
Wait, 100.000 hours for the electrics? Or is it 10.000?

Because 8 years have 70.000 hours. Even if i had the PC working 24/7 for all that time i would still have 30.000 hours to spare.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Wait, 100.000 hours for the electrics? Or is it 10.000?

Because 8 years have 70.000 hours. Even if i had the PC working 24/7 for all that time i would still have 30.000 hours to spare.

Near the bottom of the page:

Top Bottom