• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I fucking hate computers now.

Trilobit

Computers have become such a pain in the ass to use. You're "supposed" to remember a billion different passwords that are all gibberish, you have Microsoft and other developers rolling out "features" that nobody wants and actively prevent you from removing, "updates" that automatically change settings that can cause massive issues (including major security vulnerabilities, ironically enough), and "UX designers" who've clearly never met a functional adult in their fucking life because they obfuscate options or remove them entirely for "simplicity's" sake.

Motherfucker, we peaked at Windows XP. I can't fucking stand using computers today. It's a constant source of stress and having to fight whatever arbitrary bullshit the dev of the week decided to force upon the entire userbase.

This shit should be simple, and it should work. That's it. I don't want a goddamn thing beyond that.

Have you tried Mac OS? Because my last experience owning a Macbook there were virtually no problems and everything was much smoother than on Windows. Just to take updating as an example where Mac OS has no need to interrupt anything or have you restarting your computer after it's installed.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I love angry rant threads like this. Makes me smile.

Also, I was at the Windows Vista Midnight Launch.

Mihos

Gold Member
He mis-spelled himem,sys in his autoexec.bat file and decided dump his purse out all over the internet

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Password managers are overrated. Use a password protected excel like I do.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Drew1440

Sounds like Windows 10 LTSC is what you need, very little if no feature updates, only security updates and next to no bloatware. Only issue is it's only available from Enterprise channels.

Have you tried Mac OS? Because my last experience owning a Macbook there were virtually no problems and everything was much smoother than on Windows. Just to take updating as an example where Mac OS has no need to interrupt anything or have you restarting your computer after it's installed.
App updates - Yes, OS updates - No, you still need to reboot the OS. It's also a pain of software compatibility since Apple decided to rip out 32bit app support for no reason, So I need do dual boot macOS Monterey and Mojave for 32bit apps.
Automator is amazing though, defiantly one of the killer features of Mac's/

I was born in 1975 so I remember for decades when computers were these amazing things. They exciting and fun.

But now? Using a computer is a chore and overly complicated with too many options, reminders, suggestions, and just utterly useless shit that took the fun of having a computer away. Everytime a new windows comes out the experience gets dumber and dumber.

Now I only boot mine up to play a game and nothing else 75% of the time, the rest is read or research on the Internet or do the occasional personal business like my taxes.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Sucks you feel that way, can’t really relate. Been using computers for 40 years and they have just mostly gotten better.

I haven’t had any major “need to re-install windows” issues in a decade at least and using MacOS for work is always solid.

Most UX’s looking for settings or something are pointless to mess with because you can just type what you need into search and it finds things even deep within settings menus.

Last edited:

Sonik

Motherfucker, we peaked at Windows XP. I can't fucking stand using computers today. It's a constant source of stress and having to fight whatever arbitrary bullshit the dev of the week decided to force upon the entire userbase.

If you're not gaming on PC install Linux Mint. They're extremely easy to install and use and resemble something between Windows XP and Windows 7 with zero bloatware. Any problem you have you just google it and you immediately have the solution because unlike the Windows community forums that are cancerous nowadays ("hAvE yoU tRIed uPdatiNg yoUr wiNdowS inSTaLatTioN???") the Linux community is extremely helpful

Trilobit

Sounds like Windows 10 LTSC is what you need, very little if no feature updates, only security updates and next to no bloatware. Only issue is it's only available from Enterprise channels.

App updates - Yes, OS updates - No, you still need to reboot the OS. It's also a pain of software compatibility since Apple decided to rip out 32bit app support for no reason, So I need do dual boot macOS Monterey and Mojave for 32bit apps.
Automator is amazing though, defiantly one of the killer features of Mac's/

I must have remembered wrong then. Snow Leopard was one of the last ones I used and I remember the updates being much less intrusive and irritating than Windows'. Not to mention how insane Microsoft were back in the days when they wanted people off W7.

I'm quite certain that I'll go back to Mac after my laptop gives up as Windows is too grotesque design-wise for me and lacks any reasonable solution for hot corners still to this day.

Anth916

Neo Member
The idea of a password manager makes no sense to me, but I have to admit that I haven't really looked into it very much.

I just thought... "if somebody cracks your password manager thing, then they literally have the keys to the kingdom"

Why would anybody do this?

And if you say that it can't be hacked, just look at all the corporations that get hacked, heck, even some cybersecurity companies have been hacked.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Windows sucks and someone like Valve killing off its stranglehold on gaming via linux-based machines / cross-platform tooling is what I want to see

I use Mac 100% for my work (*and the actual machines I connect to when working are all linux, of course; heavy AI/ML/data/cloud powered work) and personal life, and Linux is the only other viable backup option.

And if you say that it can't be hacked, just look at all the corporations that get hacked, heck, even some cybersecurity companies have been hacked.
They don't really get "hacked", they use targeted attacks to get someone in the company to click a link in a phished email, which then installs malware or grants the attacker access in some other way. More people than you'd think fall for this shit.
It's not literally someone breaching firewalls and retrieving account names or brute forcing past encryption or something.
hacker hacking GIF

Ownage

Computers have become such a pain in the ass to use. You're "supposed" to remember a billion different passwords that are all gibberish, you have Microsoft and other developers rolling out "features" that nobody wants and actively prevent you from removing, "updates" that automatically change settings that can cause massive issues (including major security vulnerabilities, ironically enough), and "UX designers" who've clearly never met a functional adult in their fucking life because they obfuscate options or remove them entirely for "simplicity's" sake.

This shit should be simple, and it should work. That's it. I don't want a goddamn thing beyond that.
Gen X here. I like PCs but I hate tablets.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

While the OT is a bit over the top...

There is definitely a general discussion to be had with software being overly designed and bloated, particularly with OS's too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom