• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1N IT!!!1 Sells Over 200,000 Copies

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1N IT!!!1 has sold over 200,000 copies.

Gamasutra said:
Ska Studios' Xbox Live Indie Games release, I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1N IT!!!1 surpassed the 200,000 unit sales mark this week, the developer said Tuesday, with each unit selling for $1.

To be exact, the studio said it sold 200,343 units of the top-down zombie-filled action game. With the standard 70/30 revenue split between Microsoft and Xbox Live Indie Game developers, that means I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1N IT!!!1 generated around $140,000 since its August 2009 release.

Xbox Live Indie Games, originally introduced as Xbox Live Community Games, is a program intended to encourage small and hobbyist game developers to create games using Microsoft XNA, and release them digitally to Xbox Live's wide online audience. Fellow XBLIG creators test the games, which generally have a lower price tag than the higher-budget titles sold on Xbox Live Arcade.

In a January 2010 analysis, Gamasutra sibling site GamerBytes reported unit sales of 160,000 for I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1N IT!!!1, making it the top-selling game on Microsoft's Indie Games platform by over 40,000 units at the time.

Ska Studios, which is essentially James Silva (a.k.a. Jamezila), is holding a Twitter contest giving away merchandise and download codes to celebrate the milestone.
Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27481/I_MAED_A_GAM3_W1TH_Z0MB1ES_1N_IT1_And_Sold_200K_Units.php

I bought it. Then I realised you had to be online to play any community/Indie games on 360 and that killed my buzz for buying any others.

Still a lot of fun though, as a 10 minute distraction.

decon

:lol Also thought it was a joke thread. But great news! Nice to hear indie devs making money. $140k is a lot of money :)

Mr_Zombie

That's a pretty freaky title for a game. It's a good thing it's an XBL game, I really can't imagine anyone going to a shop and asking for a "I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1N IT!!!!1" game :lol

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I wonder how many are because it was only a dollar though?

Maybe this should be a sign to others, 200,000 @ 1.00 beats 15,000 @ 5.00 and even 10.00

1$ is so easy to swallow and many people will have that just lying around after buying stuff. It is a great way to breach into that market.

I dislike the game, personally. But grats to who developed it as it's always nice to see an indie dev or new gaming group do well with their first outing.

feel

Glad to say I'm one of those 200k. Fun game.

Diablohead said:
I dislike the game, personally. But grats to who developed it as it's always nice to see an indie dev or new gaming group do well with their first outing.
Isn't this by the same developer of XBLA games Dishwasher 1 and 2?

Harteex

Apart from being funny with the song and all, it's also pretty fun to play :)

smuf said:
Are European players still left in the cold? Still can't find the indie channel anywhere.

It's available in some European countries, specifically UK, France, Italy, Germany, Sweden and Spain.
(Also available in United States, Canada, Japan and Singapore)

watership

Blablurn said:
for a second i thought this is a joke thread. didn't know there was a game like that.

I don't know if I should slap Microsoft for not pushing Indie games enough or you for not knowing about it.

harSon

Banned
XNA was an amazing decision by Microsoft, it started out a bit slow but the service has really come into its own.

RBH

holy+crap+frank.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
lsslave said:
I wonder how many are because it was only a dollar though?

Maybe this should be a sign to others, 200,000 @ 1.00 beats 15,000 @ 5.00 and even 10.00

1$ is so easy to swallow and many people will have that just lying around after buying stuff. It is a great way to breach into that market.
The game did have a bit of a novelty to it, though. The song and super cheesiness really drew a lot of attention.

I didn't buy it. I wanted to, but I only had 400 points, and if I bought it, I would be left with some akward amount that wouldn't get me anything, so I'd have to buy at least 400 more points to have any 'useful' amount of points....and then its not such a good deal, cuz I spent $6 total for the game and I'll FOREVER have this akward remainder of like 300 points that you can only get useless crap with(I buy games and game content only). Frick you Microsoft. Frick you.

Odrion

Banned
Let's look at graphs because graphs are fun.

bi17cp.png

60023b125624b5b61b60e032d7f9095ccd7e319c.png

So yeah, Indie devs do make some money off of XNA. Neato.

RC Airsim made the most money, and quite a bit, kinda unexpectedly funny.

Congrats to James Silva. He is a good guy making some fun little games by himself. For those that don't know, he is the person that made The Dishwasher. The game was originally going to be one of the first Indie games to be released but it was too awesome so it was released as an XBLA title.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It depresses me that I didn't make this game. =(

Seanspeed said:
The game did have a bit of a novelty to it, though. The song and super cheesiness really drew a lot of attention.

I didn't buy it. I wanted to, but I only had 400 points, and if I bought it, I would be left with some akward amount that wouldn't get me anything, so I'd have to buy at least 400 more points to have any 'useful' amount of points....and then its not such a good deal, cuz I spent $6 total for the game and I'll FOREVER have this akward remainder of like 300 points that you can only get useless crap with(I buy games and game content only). Frick you Microsoft. Frick you.

Assassin's Creed 2 DLC is 320 points(for one of the packs)... you could buy that and this game since it's only 80 points.

I saw there was an Indie game that cost 800 points, it had online play and co-op, but still... 800 points!? I was tempted to buy Rotoscope for 400, because I liked the combining of puzzle and story... but 400 points for a game I need to be connected to Xbox Live to play. I don't see why the Indie Games can't use the same DRM as normal Arcade games, and full 360 games and (purchased) Zune videos and basically everything on the service.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
It helped that the title was easy to remember for the kind of people who use Xbox Live.

Sorry, couldn't resist, indie games are the fresh breath of air in this Activision- and EA-dominated industry, and I am happy they find success.

vazel

Banned
So your game sold 200k+ units. Good for you. Still kind of disappointing you have to resort to internet tard speak.

j/k, I know that's the name of the game. Stupid joke I know.

mujun

DeadGzuz said:
It sold as a meme, not so much as a game.

Surely you can find a better way to detract from the news can't you?

harSon said:
XNA was an amazing decision by Microsoft, it started out a bit slow but the service has really come into its own.

This. So many good games now. All stuff that more than likely wouldn't have made it onto XBLA.

xbhaskarx

Congrats on the success to James Silva.

The Indie Games thing seems to be working out quite well for everyone involved, there is a lot of junk but there are plenty of quality games and it's getting better all the time. For example I really liked this and probably got 10x of what I paid out of it in terms of entertainment value, but it's not even one of my 5-6 favorite Indie Games. With the universal price drop there are so many great values.

Unicorn

Bought it and loved it. worth a dollar. Holy shit they made over $100,000!

Fuck. I need to make a twin-stick shooter.

Wonder how much The Dishwasher has sold for comparisons sake? It would be a little ironic if he ended up making more cash With Zombies.

Top Bottom