• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss Parasite Eve

Ooccoo

I've been replaying Parasite Eve II lately (never finished it back in the days) and the theme is spot on, a perfect mix of action, horror and exploration. Granted, the game has a very different tone than the first one with more emphasis on action rather than RPG. I still think it aged well and is a good sequel. It's fun to be able to clean rooms for extra Battle Points and EXP. I also love how the Parasite Eve combine magic and firearms in a modern setting.

With all the remasters and remakes lately, I'd really like to see Parasite Eve again. And not like The 3rd Birthday, I wish I could erase my memories of this god awful game. Aya Brea is one of the best female heroes and the whole mitochondia stuff is interesting (if not a bit heavy handed in its delivery through an OK storyline).

Not sure if Takashi Tokita or other members of the team are doing nowadays though. After The 3rd Birthday I'm not sure SquareEnix sees potential in this series anymore (game sold below expectations, like 50% less). I know fans on GAF probably liked the game but I thought it was way too over the top with action and one of the most convoluted stories.

What do you think? Is Parasite Eve dead?

Ridill

I only played PE 1. Never touched 2 and 3rd Birthday because I was broke/didn't get around to it.

I definitely miss the OST to 1 though...it was amazing...the game itself was pretty good...and oh god that 100 story building...

I love(d) the original Parasite Eve, so many hours climbing the Chrysler Building until 3am. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that we'll never get another Parasite Eve.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What do you think? Is Parasite Eve dead?

Yes. Due to licensing expiration.

And given the state of "Parasite Eve 3"/The Third Birthday? I say let it rest in peace. Square completely shat all over my favorite series of theirs with that release and character assassination of Aya Brea. #FuckSquare
---

In in all seriousness and on topic: I wish someone would take Parasite Eve 2's battle engine and put it into another action-adventure. It's probably the best (IMO) mix of real-time magic casting and risk/reward on that front in addition to allowing people to gun play. The only problem is the Biohazard camera angles that this generation could solve.

cj_iwakura

Third Birthday's story was a disaster, but the game itself was a lot of fun.

Some insane nightmare fuel, too. If not for the story, it'd be a worthwhile PE3.

The first is a masterpiece, though. I remember camping out to get it just for the FF8 demo. Little did I know this would be better than FF8 could ever dream of.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't feel the concept has aged out much. I could still go for an urban horror RPG experience.

The short length of the games, which people tore it down for back in the day, is an asset today.

Is modern Square Enix into it, though? Well.... It happened. 3rd Birthday. That's what they'd bring us. Not sure if it's worth wishing for more than that. We might as well appeal to unreality and say "sure I'd want an ideal PE game again", because modern Square can't deliver any better than what they just did...

Third Birthday's story was a disaster, but the game itself was a lot of fun.

Some insane nightmare fuel, too. If not for the story, it'd be a worthwhile PE3.

The first is a masterpiece, though. I remember camping out to get it just for the FF8 demo. Little did I know this would be better than FF8 could ever dream of.
It was just an FF8 trailer though. Demo was on Brave Fencer Musashi.

(I preferred FF8 but PE was excellent too)

Seyavesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5SwUYA6N3I

i love the PE2 version of this song
i'm actually replaying PE2 right now too and agree fully
it's a shame 3rd birthday really missed what made parasite eve amazing- i think it was that really strong sense of place in a modern setting that felt right at home w/ other games that hit it well like RE2/3 combined with the fantastical but horrific elements

for the same reason i really don't like the DOME part of PE2- i think it's too radical a shift in tone and loses the strength of stuff like dryfield's small desert town feel or all of the urban stuff in PE1/PE2's intro

overall i don't think the concept is really heavily tied to the franchise by any means whatsoever, but it's a bit annoying to see that no game has really gone for that tone in the meantime

cj_iwakura

It was just an FF8 trailer though. Demo was on Brave Fencer Musashi.

(I preferred FF8 but PE was excellent too)

I got it just for that. :D My hype for 8 was through the roof at the time.
(I later bought Mushashi too, but I only kept PE.)

Also, another great urban horror RPG is the original Shadow Hearts. Nocturne too, technically. Modern occult is my favorite genre, and woefully underutilized.

Golnei

I can see the mechanical merits of PE2 and appreciate it as a Resident Evil game, but I still really miss that unique atmosphere the first game had. That kind of quasi-occult, sci-fi "horror" delivered through an almost noir-ish tone was really unique; it was a really interesting mix between cinematic tropes and 90s JRPG presentation. Eve's designs are probably the best encapsulation of this - she's a Nomura-designed RPG villain with body horror brought to the forefront; using elements of the grotesque to ground a fantasy design in a contemporary setting. Contrast it against Alexia Ashford in Code Veronica, which attempted the same thing and ended up with something bland and derivative.

i think it was that really strong sense of place in a modern setting that felt right at home w/ other games that hit it well like RE2/3

Absolutely - along with everything they got wrong with the story, atmosphere and visual design; T3B's inability to really provide a sense of place or ground its setting at all hurt it immensely. The first game's version of New York was essential to everything it attempted with its aesthetics and general tone - The 3rd Birthday just functioned against a generic backdrop, it could take place in any sci-fi RPG setting with little changing.

BocoDragon

At this point they are better off doing a spiritual successor.
Yeah. No need to re-license the book.

I would love more high concept modern day RPGs from Square, regardless of whether it's actually about Aya, mitochondria, etc.

Don't feel bad! PE didn't really go anywhere, it just died an ignoble death as soon as it came into existence. I like PE2 quite a bit, probably more than it really deserves, but it does a bad job of touching on the things that made the first so good. PE1 remains to this day a heartbreakingly unique game, the sort that literally can't be made anymore. The third game is legitimately disgusting and disgraceful, but it was already dead by that point so I guess it could only do so much harm.

TheSeks

I can see the mechanical merits of PE2 and appreciate it as a Resident Evil game, but I still really miss that unique atmosphere the first game had. That kind of quasi-occult, sci-fi "horror" delivered through an almost noir-ish tone was really unique; it was a really interesting mix between cinematic tropes and 90s JRPG presentation. Eve's designs are probably the best encapsulation of this - she's a Nomura-designed RPG villain with body horror brought to the forefront; using elements of the grotesque to ground a fantasy design in a contemporary setting. Contrast it against Alexia Ashford in Code Veronica, which attempted the same thing and ended up with something bland and derivative.

The biggest WTF of PE2 was doing that LA intro. You're only there for like 1-2 hours max and you don't even get to explore the city. New York City in PE1 at least allowed you to go back to previous areas if that's what you wanted to do to find things/grind/whatever. They should've allowed Aya to go between the Mojave and LA/MIST HQ and allowed her to explore places with no "time limit" that they kinda did with the PE2 story.

I would love more high concept modern day RPGs from Square, regardless of whether it's actually about Aya, mitochondria, etc.

FFvs13/"15" isn't doing that for you with it's whole "THIS IS A FANTASY BASED ON REALITY?"

Some things need to stay dead. The first PE is a classic that still holds up. Especially on a handheld like the Vita or PSP.

BocoDragon

I got it just for that. :D My hype for 8 was through the roof at the time.
(I later bought Mushashi too, but I only kept PE.)

Also, another great urban horror RPG is the original Shadow Hearts. Nocturne too, technically. Modern occult is my favorite genre, and woefully underutilized.
Yeah I remember the FF8 trailer being a notable draw too. Not like you could YouTube it back then.

It was quite artfully done too. Original music (and the characters weren't wearing their seed uniforms.)

Ooccoo

Holy shit I never soldiered through The 3rd Birthday (stopped after a couple hours) so I didn't know about that ending. Wow.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Modern occult is my favorite genre, and woefully underutilized.

You need to play Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines asap if you haven't tried it before. I don't even really like vampires but that game pulls off the 'modern occult' setting well.

cj_iwakura

You need to play Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines asap if you haven't tried it before. I don't even really like vampires but that game pulls off the 'modern occult' setting well.

It's my favorite PC RPG of all time, and I'm also into the PBP games. I've ST'd as well. I love V:TM.

Parasite Eve had such an unfortunate life, from an amazing game, to receiving a DMC2-quaity sequel, and then a DMC2-2 sequel =X

I'd say it's dead. At least 3rd Birthday was a fun arcade shooter (and probably the last shooter to not have aiming), but yeah...

If you want to have hope though, just remember the FFVII-R reveal trailer...

Also, I agree on the "spiritual sequel". At least move on from Aya, her story was finished on the first game, and the sequels only proved that.

News Bot

Banned
I love both PE1 and PE2 on equal levels. They're fundamentally different games, gauging their quality by complaining that they're not similar is just poor form. Some really great memories with them.

Parasite Eve II was written and directed by Kenichi Iwao, writer/planner on the original Resident Evil. Much of the art staff were former RE1/RE2 artists also.

Breakbeat

Banned
Are we sure the Parasite Eve "license" is lost in limbo? Yeah, the first game was based off of a book, but it was very loose. Maybe they made The 3rd Birthday without the license, which explains the lack of "Parasite Eve" in its title. If that was the case, then they'd be able to make a reboot with a different name, no problem. It's definitely a franchise I'd like to see come back, now that Squeenix seems intent on making up for a decade of ill will.

News Bot

Banned
Technically, but it took a lot of liberties, contradicted the source material predecessor outright at times. Point is, the original story was never that important.

Did it? The novel is only referenced once and it's perfectly consistent with its story. I'm agreeing with you, it's not that important. It only served as a framework for the game's setting and scenario details.

TheSeks

Are we sure the Parasite Eve "license" is lost in limbo?

Yes. Square can not use Parasite Eve as a title because that's the Book/licensors.

Same reason they can't use Eve as an antagonist (IIRC), and a few other elements.

Only Aya Brea, Kyle Madigan, and Maedea are Square's to use. And you see how that worked with "Parasite Eve 3"/The Third Birthday.

Corpekata

Banned
Even with the license, the series is probably too far gone. The story became pretty nonsensical even before 3rd Birthday and then in that they went even more bonkers. There's not a big recurring cast, and Aya was never that compelling. It would just be baggage at this point.

Varna

I played the original pretty close to release and even then the game was barely average. The only thing really pushing it was the setting and the somewhat interesting story. The gameplay was abysmal and I could never actually manage to play the thing a second time.

The second game I think back to a bit more fondly. Mainly because the gameplay holds up much better. It actually works really well as a Resident Evil type game and although the story gets very stupid very fast it's still has a creepy atmosphere and it is interesting to watch the stupidity unfold.

Golnei

Even with the license, the series is probably too far gone. The story became pretty nonsensical even before 3rd Birthday and then in that they went even more bonkers. There's not a big recurring cast, and Aya was never that compelling. It would just be baggage at this point.

I'd welcome any game that tried to iterate on the aesthetics and atmosphere of PE1 regardless of whether it functioned as a spiritual successor or actual sequel, but I don't think it'd be completely impossible to have it continue without a reboot. The original game did have two endings, after all - they could always just follow on from the other one.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yes. Due to licensing expiration.

And given the state of "Parasite Eve 3"/The Third Birthday? I say let it rest in peace. Square completely shat all over my favorite series of theirs with that release and character assassination of Aya Brea. #FuckSquare
---

In in all seriousness and on topic: I wish someone would take Parasite Eve 2's battle engine and put it into another action-adventure. It's probably the best (IMO) mix of real-time magic casting and risk/reward on that front in addition to allowing people to gun play. The only problem is the Biohazard camera angles that this generation could solve.

Oh really, crap. So the Aya Brea poster in the FF7 teaser was just that, a tease? Verendus did say another PE was in the works as well IIRC... On mobile or I'd link both.

I loved the original Parasite Eve a lot, though I never played the sequels.

Corpekata

Banned
Oh really, crap. So the Aya Brea poster in the FF7 teaser was just that, a tease? Verendus did say another PE was in the works as well IIRC... On mobile or I'd link both.

I loved the original Parasite Eve a lot, though I never played the sequels.

It could be a tease for another game, but it won't be called Parasite Eve. And given how 3rd Birthday ended up, it probably won't play much like it.

Tigress

I liked the story and the theme. What I couldn't get over is the controls. I just would die a lot cause i can't get used to the controls. I think if they had used the two thumbsticks like FPS's do today I could play the game. But I finally gave up in frustration on II (I watched some one play I) cause the controls just drove me nuts (Tried a long time ago on the PS1/2 and then more recently on the Vita thinking maybe I would do better now as I'm even more into gaming now as I was then. Still found it frustrating and no it's not due to the Vita controls more than just the fact that I don't have a camera thumbstick that I can direct my character with. IN fact my second try I realized it wasn't the combo of live action and RPG that drove me nuts, it was simply the controls that I really couldn't stand. It would have been fun gameplay with the right controls).

Parasite Eve is one of my all time favorite games. I enjoyed 2 very much as well.

Wasn't there a rumor from Kagari about a PE return?

Z3M0G

PE1 was the only good one... though I did manage to actually finish 3rd Birthday, even though I pretty much hated it.

I don't know why people hate PE2 when it's quite superior. I loved the game, and i love that era of cool powerful female characters like jill in Re3, regina in DC or aya in PE.

The magic system was really interesting as the weapon choice, and the mistery was well handled in the plot, with nice puzzles and pretty scary moments.

I do not like PE2. But I love the first game, it is so fun and it was challenging to me at the time. I bought it again on Vita but I didn't have the time yet to replay it.

When I finished PE I was so anxious to PE2, and when I began playing it, the deception was too much. I was expecting a game like the first. But even so I managed to finish it.

The 3rd Birthday was quite fun, but the story... omg.

TokiDoki

Same , both PE are among my favourite games . I remember them very fondly , the atmosphere and lore are terrific. Aya is also such a great design .

That said , Parasite Eve 3 will be the greatest thing ever if happened , together with Nolf 3 , and Shadow Hearts 3 (excluding FTNW) . See , all the 3s .

Parasite Eve as far as I'm concerned is just one game. The first one. It's not a franchise. PE2 was a mistake and T3B was so sacrilegious I shouldn't (because it isn't) consider it a part of the series.

PE1 blew my 14 year old mind back in 1999. Never had I played a jRPG before set in modern times and it was awesome.

Golnei

Yoko only composed for PE1 if that is a large draw for you.

She had some involvement in The 3rd Birthday as well - most of her tracks were covers of PE1 music, but Blue of the End, Unknown Unknown and Contact, Freeze Explode were original.

Top Bottom