• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss Parasite Eve

Guys, we don't talk about the 3th Birthday around here.

But you talk about the equally bad (if not worse) PE2? =P

Anyway, I wouldn't really put a lot of trust into a new game being in development because of Verendus...

Not that I wouldn't want one though =X

I think, to this day, no video game sequel has ever disappointed me as much as Parasite Eve 2.

The first game is so fucking good though. While I'm sure we'll never see another, I'd like to see a modern game in a similar vein with the contemporary setting and all the body horror/science fiction stuff.

PillarEN

She had some involvement in The 3rd Birthday as well - most of her tracks were covers of PE1 music, but Blue of the End, Unknown Unknown and Contact, Freeze Explode were original.
Oh really?I didn't know she made original tracks for that game too.

RetroMG

Third Birthday was awful, but I did like the body-switching mechanic. It was fun.

I don't need another game, but I'd love an HD remake of PE1.

Me too... But there is a hope.
(or not?..)

Motomu Toriyama secret project:

Final-Fantasy-7-Remake-Trailer-Parasite-Eve-3rd-Birthday-Easter-Egg.jpg

Savitar

Parasite Eve was so damn fun, I loved it and the CGI at that time was mind blowing. Battling on a coach with horses on fire? Fun times! So disappointed in how the whole thing went over time, II was nothing more than a RE clone that jettisoned a lot of what made PE so fun and Third Birthday....reading up on that I can't even begin to understand what they were thinking with that.

Cyrano

damn this is really good. I should play these games (1 and 2 only, of course)
The music for PE1 is stellar. Would play that first and if you enjoy it, then give PE2 a shot. I don't remember the games being all that spectacular aside from the music though. They are VERY different in how they play from any other game I've played outside of... maybe Vagrant Story? Actually, they kind of feel like turn-based Resident Evil, now that I think about it.

Lime

The music for PE1 is stellar. Would play that first and if you enjoy it, then give PE2 a shot. I don't remember the games being all that spectacular aside from the music though. They are VERY different in how they play from any other game I've played outside of... maybe Vagrant Story? Actually, they kind of feel like turn-based Resident Evil, now that I think about it.

Thanks, Cyrano!

That reminds me, I should get to play Vagrant Story as well at some point

Cyrano

Thanks, Cyrano!

That reminds me, I should get to play Vagrant Story as well at some point
Yep. Hope the recommendation is helpful! Play Valkyrie Profile 1 at some point too if you get a chance! Has a similarly amazing soundtrack.

Legend of Mana was also composed by Shimomura and is a fun, short, lovable videogame that is among my favorites and would also recommend.

I really liked Parasite Eve 2 (Resident Evil: The RPG). Slowly playing through the first game on my Vita off and on and it's okay (almost done with the first playthrough). Combat's not all that interesting (dodge, shoot, heal, repeat) and though the equipment tinkering system is interesting, so far, there have rarely been any interesting traits to transfer over. Story and setting is cool, but it's plagued by an early "functional but stilted" Squaresoft translation.

Third Birthday was somewhat interesting as an attempt to do a blockbuster third-person shooter on a portable system but otherwise is a hot mess.

Other games worth checking out in the horror/RPG sub-genre would be Vagrant Story, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Shadow Hearts (the first one, the sequels got less and less horror-ey), and the Shin Megami Tensei series in general. Transistor is also worth checking out as it has a combat system that seems inspired by Parasite Eve & Vagrant Story.

Yes. Square can not use Parasite Eve as a title because that's the Book/licensors.

Same reason they can't use Eve as an antagonist (IIRC), and a few other elements.

Only Aya Brea, Kyle Madigan, and Maedea are Square's to use. And you see how that worked with "Parasite Eve 3"/The Third Birthday.

Source?

Parasite Eve 1 and 2 were re-released on PSN in 2011, around the very same time as The 3rd Birthday was released.

Lime

For people saying they were disappointed with PE2, how did the sequel disappoint?

Yep. Hope the recommendation is helpful! Play Valkyrie Profile 1 at some point too if you get a chance! Has a similarly amazing soundtrack.

Legend of Mana was also composed by Shimomura and is a fun, short, lovable videogame that is among my favorites and would also recommend.

I'm a huge VP fan already - possibly my favorite JRPG and a major reason why I was super interested in Indivisible, so no need there. :)

Legend of Mana isn't available in EU PSN though, but I'll see if I can track down a copy or just use a US PSN account.

Yeah... I think I put Parasite Eve right up there with ActRaiser as far as 'series that could have had long legs but sadly didn't'.

Parasite Eve 1 was awesome. It felt like an event.
Parasite Eve 2 tried a bit harder to ape Resident Evil, but was still a pretty damn competent sequel that had some insane creature designs.

Then absolutely nothing in the PS2 era, which is mind-boggling to me.
Then nothing in the PS3 era.
^At the same time a piss-poor mobile phone project that was wisely converted to a PSP project, but still turned out to be a disappointing mess.

I hope we get (at the very least) a fun mid-tier developed PE for PS4 in the coming years. Aya deserves better than the fucking 3rd Birthday, especially since they were able to snag Yvonne Strahovski for the role. ;)

Little did I know this would be better than FF8 could ever dream of.

Just gonna go ahead and boo you loudly on that. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :(

How much of the disdain for 3rd Birthday is due to it being different than the previous two? As someone who never played the originals I thought it was solid.

Ralemont

not me
How much of the disdain for 3rd Birthday is due to it being different than the previous two? As someone who never played the originals I thought it was solid.

PE2 is pretty different from 1 so just being different isn't enough to justify the burning hatred PE fans have for 3rd birthday. To be clear the gameplay is fine and not the problem. The problem is that when the story isn't being a nonsensical mess, it's character assassinating previous PE characters. And when it isn't doing that, it's literally assassinating them. The only way we could possibly have another PE game is either a complete reboot or something that totally ignores 3rd Birthday.

PantsuJo

I loved the first two games.

3rd birthday was a good as a shooter but, really, not a great game and certainly not a good Parasite Eve game.

For people saying they were disappointed with PE2, how did the sequel disappoint?

Pretty much right off the bat, PE2 sets itself apart from its predecessor; it has different combat/gameplay, mechanics, setting, and the presentation. Like others have said, it took alot of influence from Resident Evil. I remember when it came out I didn't really like it because it felt too much like RE - not that I didn't like RE, but I wanted to play a Parasite Eve game, not an RE with some RPG elements. Though I didn't get very far into it honestly.

I do want to return to it one of these days and give it a fair shake though, try and take it as it is instead of what I wanted it to be. Especially considering the state of the series now.

Parasite Eve 2 is actually one of my favorite games. RE-like but with an especially entertaining battle system, high production value lunacy, and very replayable with rankings and rewards like bonus weapons. I also enjoyed Parasite Eve before it, but the second one is like the usual RE more quickly replayable.

no_michael_bluth.gif

PE2 is at worst a poor man's Resident Evil. 3rd birthday has a few interesting gameplay ideas but utterly destroys the series with its story, and has the gross undress Aya mechanic.

PE2 is also mediocre in every aspect, where 3rd Birthday will at least have fun gameplay.

And the story in PE2 is certainly not something to pro up over 3rd Birthday.

At the end they're both terrible sequels (and games) after PE1.

Ralemont

not me
PE2 is also mediocre in every aspect, where 3rd Birthday will at least have fun gameplay.

And the story in PE2 is certainly not something to pro up over 3rd Birthday.

Ohhhh yes it is. PE2's story is forgettable, which is leagues better than actually destroying an entire series.

And Parasite Eve 1 didn't have fabulous gameplay, either, so I'm not entirely sad that 2 switched to Resident Evil gameplay with some added mitochondrial twists.

Parasite Eve at release was pretty amazing, but I hated not knowing when I should use the tools, and would end up having a stockpile of them. I remember really enjoying PE2, as well.

Ohhhh yes it is. PE2's story is forgettable, which is leagues better than actually destroying an entire series.

And Parasite Eve 1 didn't have fabulous gameplay, either, so I'm not entirely sad that 2 switched to Resident Evil gameplay with some added mitochondrial twists.

Really? You think PE2 does no damage whatsoever and they can just run it all back? And they can't with 3rd Birthday? I'm not even sure what reasoning dictates that...

And I don't even know what to say to that second paragraph, but hey, if being an RE clone is all it takes for it to be "good" (even as a mediocre clone), then have fun, I can see why you prefer PE2...

Cyrano

Ohhhh yes it is. PE2's story is forgettable
I'd say this is the general issue most have with PE2. The gameplay is definitely better than PE1 (at the very least, less obtuse), but the story isn't nearly as interesting as the first and the first has an interesting and unusual setting/story/characters that change quite a lot throughout. PE2 loses a lot of what I guess you could call "weirdness", more typical of older jRPGs.

Parasite Eve was an incredible game, dripping with atmosphere and at the time very high production values. That carriage scene...

And then I played the second one and I had no idea that I could feel such disappointment.

And then I played the third birthday and hope they never touch the series again.

I'd say this is the general issue most have with PE2. The gameplay is definitely better than PE1 (at the very least, less obtuse), but the story isn't nearly as interesting as the first and the first has an interesting and unusual setting/story/characters that change quite a lot throughout. PE2 loses a lot of what I guess you could call "weirdness", more typical of older jRPGs.

Gameplay better in 2? I guess if you prefer Resident Evil clones over something unique, which would go on to evolve into Vagrant Story's awesome system.

News Bot

Banned
Parasite Eve 2 has a good story. It's tonally much different from the first game, but it's well-written and entertaining, with a deep respect for the first game's story. The evolution of Resident Evil's examine texts in PE2 leads to a lot of world building.

Absolutely loved the first Parasite Eve.

Me too... But there is a hope.
(or not?..)

Motomu Toriyama secret project:

Final-Fantasy-7-Remake-Trailer-Parasite-Eve-3rd-Birthday-Easter-Egg.jpg

Here's hoping! Would love to see the series return (without Toriyama ofcourse).

Given the S-E turnaround and them slipping that easter egg into that trailer I think it might be possible and that they are atleast thinking about it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Parasite Eve 2 has a good story. It's tonally much different from the first game, but it's well-written and entertaining, with a deep respect for the first game's story. The evolution of Resident Evil's examine texts in PE2 leads to a lot of world building.

yeah, pe2 has tons of great flavor text that did a lot to flesh out aya's personality. i also never once felt that the story did anything to cheapen or degrade anything that happened in the first game. i'm actually kind of curious what specific aspects about the story people take issue with and believe irreparably damaged the narrative.

seeing the game being compared to dmc2 is pretty irritating, though. i never gave it a fair shake when it came out, but i finally got around to finishing it (twice!) last year and definitely had a good time. Fun powers, interesting customization options, and probably the best prerendered backgrounds of the era only eventually surpassed by the biohazard remake.

Golnei

yeah, pe2 has tons of great flavor text that did a lot to flesh out aya's personality. i also never once felt that the story did anything to cheapen or degrade anything that happened in the first game. i'm actually kind of curious what specific aspects about the story people take issue with and believe irreparably damaged the narrative.

I wouldn't say it damaged the series in that regard, but I do think PE2 missed a lot of what made the first game stand out, in terms of narrative and atmosphere. I have no problem with sequels which try to do something different to the originals, (PE1 itself was vastly different from the novel) but PE2's invocation of stock-standard bioweapons, government conspiracies and secret agents felt like a poor substitute for the first game's unknowable alien antagonist and well-characterised, relatively naturalistic urban space. It became another story about covert research facilities and human experiments gone wrong, as opposed to the almost supernatural angle of Eve awakening within humanity.

notaskwid

I played Parasite Eve a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. The movie, while very different is pretty ok too, I thought. Was playing Parasite Eve 2 but was not enjoying it like 1 for whatever reason, maybe I'll get back to it someday.
I've probably lost my save by now since ps1 don't get backed up to the cloud on the vita :(

At this point it's best to leave the series alone, unless a competent reboot can be made.

A reboot that manages to expand on what made the first game great, and remove the stank left behind by 3rd Birthday would be appreciated.

pkhanh

Neo Member
Would absolutely buy 3rd birthday if there's any remaster version for vita/ps3/ps4.
Still tempted to buy 3rd birthday psp everytime it's on sale, but no, too expensive for a really old game though.

I'm glad I'm not the only one disliking PE 2 and 3rd Birthday.
PE 1 will always be my favorite. One of the reasons I read the novel and watched the movie.

klee123

Absolutely loved Parasite Eve 1 and 2 to a lesser extent.

The atmosphere, characters, soundtrack were simply top notch.

Honestly think aya was one of the strongest female characters square enix made and they just ruined her. Ah well, at least parasite eve 1 can never be ruined for me.

Dark_castle

The original Parasite Eve is a great game. I loved the whole atmosphere and setting of the game, and Aya Brea was an interesting protagonist. Great music, fun combat.

I've always preferred Nomura's original 90's anime-inspired design for Parasite Eve than the new, CGI Serah/Lightning looking design for Third Birthday.

Aya_Brea_PE1_concept_art.jpg

latest

Compared to...

tumblr_m6ttutP1Mf1qi24fko1_1280.jpg

PE 1 Aya Brea was a bad ass anyway, really liked how she was portrayed in the game, also one of the games were the protag was a women.

Top Bottom