• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else notice the CM 690 II advanced case in the OP shows $80 even though the price everywhere i look is $90? Did they raise the prices

Also is the Intel 310 80gb slower than the 120gb? I want one just for OS mainly and 80GB would be fine for that i think but if its much slower then maybe just go with 120 gb

Varna

Not specifically a hardware question, but I thought I would try here...

Just upgraded to a 25MB connection. Only problem is that my shitty router won't let me hit it's peak speed... limits me to 15 no matter what I do. Any suggestions on an affordable router for my needs?

Izayoi

Banned
Well, I fixed the bluescreen problems.

Switched from the Intel RST drivers to the Microsoft AHCI ones.

No problems since.

TheFury

RS4- said:
@theFury,

I can't see the specs on the monitor you picked, but have you looked at the Asus "Evo" monitor? I believe it's the VE236H, there's always a 246H model as well. With the 236, you can save more than $100 over your current choice.
I had a look then, but didn't see any VE236H's for sale. There is some 246H's which are cheaper but they don't appear to be 120Hz, which is what I'm primarily interested in. I bit the bullet and bought the LG before you posted as it is only on sale temporarily. Thank you for the advice though.

These are the specs for the LG W2363D:
Panel size: 23"
Resolution: 1920x1080
Response time: 3 ms (g2g)
Contrast ratio: 80000:1 (dynamic)
Brightness: 400 cd/m²
Color support: Up to 16.2 million colors
Color gamut: 72 % of NTSC
Signal processing: 6 bit for each color
Viewing angles (H/V): 170°/160° (contrast 10:1)
Dot pitch: 0.265 mm
Panel type: TN
Dimensions(HxWxD): 20.6cm x 55.6cm x 20.6cm (with stand)
Other: 120Hz

knitoe

Saren is Bad said:
Is it retarded to undervolt on my overclock? I'm at like 1.27V 4.5GHz and was able to do 3 hours of Prime without BSOD and play Rift, Witcher, and SCII all the time without any issues, but y'all are saying it takes 1.3, 1.35V to reach it.
There are no set number. Some require more while some require less. Obviously, the laters are better/luckier. Myself, I run 2600K@4.5 GHz also with 1.27V.

I forget how spacious the HAF X is.

img2478ie.jpg
img2479n.jpg

No, that's not mine.

balddemon said:
thanks for the link. couple reviews mentioned that it overclocks the 2500k to 4.5ghz. i really want to bite on this, but i'm not sure about anything with computers lol. while i'm waiting for my buddy to get back on steam, could someone maybe recommend this or another one? although i did find this one for $90 ( i just dont know if it works with the 2500k [says it works with the 2nd-gen core i3/i5/i7 but idk what that means]).

questions are bolded :)

edit: its $90 if you buy it with the 2500k, $130 otherwise. 2500k is $180, worth it here? $90 just seems cheap for the mobo.
Do not buy that Intel if you intend to overclock.

Looks like the MSI deal is still valid for a bit longer, despite being taken off the front page.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130572&Tpk=MSI P67A-GD53

bill0527

Finally found something to work in my budget and its all ordered and on the way, minus the video card which will have to wait until payday next week.

I went with this combo. The motherboard is iffy, but I've had good luck with Gigabyte in the past. My only concern is that one of the reviews said there is only a connection on the mobo for 1 system fan and 1 CPU fan and that kind of bothers me as my case has 2 system fans and I really want to use both of them.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor & GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

$324.98 after $25.00 combo discount.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $59.99 - $10 promo code that came in my email today so it was $49.99.

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop

Fredescu

Does anyone have a Razer Naga? I'm wondering if all the extra buttons make it more awkward than a regular mouse. I'm sure I wouldn't use them 80% of the time.

balddemon

Banned
Wolf Akela said:
Get a HAF 912 instead of that Rosewill? Same price if the Rosewill didn't have a $10 discount.
yeah i used the promo code provided below and went with the haf 912. thanks.

bill0527 said:
Is that newegg?

If it is, you can use promo code EMCKDJF27 before June 20th and get an additional $10 off that Samsung HDD.
thanks for the code brother.

edit: doesn't matter i can't do billmelater cuz of student loans lmao. sux 4 me time 2 pay up better than 1 more debt

It seems like one of my case fans, a 230 mm top exhaust fan, doesn't always spin up. It's plugged into the PSU directly, so it shouldn't be throttled by the mobo in any way. When I turn on my computer, it will sometimes spin up just fine, other times it moves about 1 cm and then stops. I've already reseated the power cable to make sure that wasn't the issue and I've made sure nothing is physically blocking it. I did notice that, while my PC is running, if I give it just a slight nudge with my finger it will start spinning properly.

Any thoughts on how to fix this without requiring me to give it a kick start every time?

EDIT: Speaking of fans, my CM Hyper 212+ seems to be set at nearly 2000 RPM (aka, 100%) even when I'm idling. Is there a program that will let me tell it to ramp up according to CPU temp, ala MSI Afterburner for the VGA cooler? Messing with Speedfan right now and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

EDIT2: Looks like I figured it out. Set my "Target" CPU temp to 40 C, my "Warning" temp to 62 C and my minimum fan speed to 30 % (max at 100 % of course). It's keeping my CPU to around 28-33 C (varies core-to-core) at around 50 % speed right now. Awesome.

Trouble

Banned
Fredescu said:
Does anyone have a Razer Naga? I'm wondering if all the extra buttons make it more awkward than a regular mouse. I'm sure I wouldn't use them 80% of the time.
I ordered one from Woot last week when they had them for $50. Should arrive next week. I actually like my Razer Lachesis quite a bit, but the thumb buttons are kind of akward. Seems like the same mouse with more thumb buttons for the most part.
Soka said:
It seems like one of my case fans, a 230 mm top exhaust fan, doesn't always spin up. It's plugged into the PSU directly, so it shouldn't be throttled by the mobo in any way. When I turn on my computer, it will sometimes spin up just fine, other times it moves about 1 cm and then stops. I've already reseated the power cable to make sure that wasn't the issue and I've made sure nothing is physically blocking it. I did notice that, while my PC is running, if I give it just a slight nudge with my finger it will start spinning properly.

Any thoughts on how to fix this without requiring me to give it a kick start every time?

EDIT: Speaking of fans, my CM Hyper 212+ seems to be set at nearly 2000 RPM (aka, 100%) even when I'm idling. Is there a program that will let me tell it to ramp up according to CPU temp, ala MSI Afterburner for the VGA cooler? Messing with Speedfan right now and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

EDIT2: Looks like I figured it out. Set my "Target" CPU temp to 40 C, my "Warning" temp to 62 C and my minimum fan speed to 30 % (max at 100 % of course). It's keeping my CPU to around 28-33 C (varies core-to-core) at around 50 % speed right now. Awesome.
Sounds like a bad motor contact. Once it's spinning it will skip over the bad spot, but if it stops on it you have to bump it to where it makes contact. Probably not much you can do but replace it. Maybe try some compressed air, but I doubt it's dust causing it.

Fredescu

Trouble said:
I ordered one from Woot last week when they had them for $50. Should arrive next week. I actually like my Razer Lachesis quite a bit, but the thumb buttons are kind of akward. Seems like the same mouse with more thumb buttons for the most part.
I was considering the Imperator too. Adjustable thumb buttons sound interesting.

Mully

So can anyone tell me if this motherboard is worth the $160 as advertised? It has the extra PCI slots that I want, but it just seems far to expensive and I want to get the best bang for my buck. Plus I just realized some boards come with built in WiFi and I was wondering if there are other boards that would work better and have WiFi.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Processor: Intel Core i3 CPU 550 (4 CPUs) @ 3.2GHZ
RAM: 8GB

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics (Core i3)
Memory: 1.7GB

DirectX Version: 11

I don't know what any of this means, but I'm trying to figure out what games I can currently play. I realize my graphics card isn't necessarily intended for gaming, but it would be pretty cool if I could play games a couple of years old. Any help?

clav

slopeslider said:
I have a 3.0 Core duo
to prepare for BF3,Is it cheaper to get a core quad or OC the duo to ~3.8 and get a cooling system?
OC the duo and buy cooling. Check if your motherboard can OC though.

Core 2 Quads are overpriced.

Better yet, just save money and plan to buy a new system.

Hi PC GAF - looking for a little advice. Battlefield 3 has finally made me want to get a new PC, (Although how I'll ever come to grips with playing an FPS with a keyboard/mouse is beyond me - I'm a console gamer mostly)

Anyways, this is what I'm looking to build later this month. Sound good?

Graphics card
Asus ATI Radeon HD 6950 OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AMD 890GX (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard

Power supply
Corsair TX 750W ATX SLI Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-750TXUK)

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition "125W Edition" 3.20GHz (Socket AM3)

Memory
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

Case
Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black

Hard disk
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ)

DVD Re-writer
Samsung SH-S222AB/RSMS 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black/Silver/Biege) - Retail

Any suggestions, improvements etc would be appreciated. Got a budget of around £750 tops.

clav

Sikamikanico said:
Hi PC GAF - looking for a little advice. Battlefield 3 has finally made me want to get a new PC, (Although how I'll ever come to grips with playing an FPS with a keyboard/mouse is beyond me - I'm a console gamer mostly)

Anyways, this is what I'm looking to build later this month. Sound good?

Graphics card
Asus ATI Radeon HD 6950 OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AMD 890GX (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard

Power supply
Corsair TX 750W ATX SLI Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-750TXUK)

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition "125W Edition" 3.20GHz (Socket AM3)

Memory
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

Case
Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black

Hard disk
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ)

DVD Re-writer
Samsung SH-S222AB/RSMS 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black/Silver/Biege) - Retail

Any suggestions, improvements etc would be appreciated. Got a budget of around £750 tops.

The OP has two nice cases for the price of the Antec 300 (at least for the US). Looks like it's 10 pounds more over in the UK.

Consider the Cooler Master HAF 912 or the BitFenix Shinobi.

I used the HAF 912 recently, and I'd choose that over the Antec 300 easily.

Ezahn

Sooooooo this should be the final build. I swear it's the last time I ask for suggestions, excuse my noobishness (it's my first build). :)

What do you think? At last I opted for a 570, not 580, but for a SLI ready Z68 mobo (we'll see). SSD seem to be still pricey...

pcDEF.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
knitoe said:
There are no set number. Some require more while some require less. Obviously, the laters are better/luckier. Myself, I run 2600K@4.5 GHz also with 1.27V.

Same here, I'm satisfied with 4.5@ 1.26 but it takes a whole 0.1v to reach 4.6 @ 1.36 which is lame :(

I HATE YOU CHIP YOU SUCK WHY ARENT YOU LIKE YOUR BROTHERS!?

n0n44m

corn_fest said:
Should I bother re-doing the thermal paste for my CPU if one quarter of it is consistently 5C above the others?

no that's normal, you'll never get them at the same temperatures due to internal construction of the CPU and the way the heatspreader is attached on top of it

I have decided to get back into PC gaming, and I need some general advice.

I am going to buy a new pre built machine, cause I dont want to build it myself.

Just wondering what are the minimums I need to ensure I wont have to do much upgrading for at least 2 years.

Is 8 gigs of ram overkill?

Is a 1gig card enough or should I go for a 2?

Is a 3 ghz CPU enough?

Balehead

Ezahn said:
Sooooooo this should be the final build. I swear it's the last time I ask for suggestions, excuse my noobishness (it's my first build). :)

What do you think? At last I opted for a 570, not 580, but for a SLI ready Z68 mobo (we'll see). SSD seem to be still pricey...

pcDEF.jpg

Are you sure you want to spend 35€ and have it built by others? It's not hard at all to do it yourself, and the case you have makes it even easier. You can find a video of people building a system in that particular case with a gtx570: http://www.tested.com/how-to-build-a-future-proof-1500-pc/47-319/

Other than that, I'd consider buying a better cooler for your processor. The one packed in gets really loud even without overclocking when you play something more demanding, say Crysis. It should overclock fairly well even with the stock cooler, but the noise might disturb you. For example Hyper 212+ is very popular and shouldn't be too expensive, it's probably under 30 euros.

TheExodu5

Banned
soundscream said:
Is 8 gigs of ram overkill?

Is a 1gig card enough or should I go for a 2?

Is a 3 ghz CPU enough?

1) Yes and no. 4GB is enough for now, but it's a safe assumption that 8GB will be of use during the life of the system. It's cheap enough, so it's not too hard to justify the extra 4GB. If you have to save money somewhere, though, RAM is a good place to start.

2) 1GB is enough for most games at 1080p. 2GB is more important if you're running a 1600p monitor. 1GB might mean having to cut an option here or there, though (no promises).

3) 3GHz doesn't really mean much. For example, the 2500k @ 3.3GHz is probably 50% faster than a Phenom X4 @ 3.3GHz. The 2500k is enough for anything, at this point. A Phenom X4 at stock clocks might have trouble with running SC2 at 60fps (though it should still get 40-50fps+ on Ultra), but for the most part, it will be enough.

Ezahn

Balehead said:
Are you sure you want to spend 35€ and have it built by others? It's not hard at all to do it yourself, and the case you have makes it even easier. You can find a video of people building a system in that particular case with a gtx570: http://www.tested.com/how-to-build-a-future-proof-1500-pc/47-319/

Other than that, I'd consider buying a better cooler for your processor. The one packed in gets really loud even without overclocking when you play something more demanding, say Crysis. It should overclock fairly well even with the stock cooler, but the noise might disturb you. For example Hyper 212+ is very popular and shouldn't be too expensive, it's probably under 30 euros.

@Balehead Tnx! It's really tempting to build it myself... and the video you linked seems great! I don't have that much time and I never built one before... still could be a great opportunity to learn about the inside of my machine. :)

As for the cooler: my e-shop does not have the very populare Hyper 212+ in stock. They do have the Corsair A70: could it be ok?

I'm wondering: could those RAM with their quite big heatsink pose a problem with an aftermarket cooler? Better to stick with more "plain" ddr modules?

It's been very difficult to choose between a single 580 config (with lesser mobo, such as the Asrock Pro3) and a more expensive mobo with 570 and MAYBE future SLI (750w could do, seeing the OP).

Yoritomo

Izayoi said:
Well, I fixed the bluescreen problems.

Switched from the Intel RST drivers to the Microsoft AHCI ones.

No problems since.

Well it's pretty much confirmed then. It's the LPM as implemented by Intel RST causing the problem, or at least certain SSDs don't react well to it.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Ordered my PC on monday, should arrive next week.

Basic specs:

Intel i5 2500K
8GB of Corsair RAM
ATI Radeon 6950 2GB

This should keep up-to-snuff for atleast a couple of years, I think. Looking forward to returning to PC gaming again after two years absense.

Ceebs

So I am looking to retire my aging 4870 soon. Is the GTX 560 the best bet for around 200 bucks? Or is there something on the horizon in the next 2 months or so.

barnone

Somethings up with my display, but I am not sure what to call it. It isn't traditional screen tearing, but the artifacts are triangular and jump all over my screen. It happens more often in bright areas in games. What is this called? GTS 250 on this computer btw.

arotator

Neo Member
balddemon said:
yes? no? suggestions? demands? warnings?

Looks like a sweet setup to me, just know that you won't be able to play the latest games at high settings with the 460. Damn, I'm jealous you live near a Microcenter (assuming where the CPU and GPU are coming from), I would have done the same or similar build probably. I didn't want to spend $800 on my setup, though I am very happy with it.

Edit: I just did the math, that Newegg total wasn't including the CPU and GPU. Not as jealous now, thought you were in the $500 range not the $700 ;). Still looks good though.

My first post on NeoGAF and celebrating by posting my very recent first PC build, thanks to this thread.

Finally joined the PC master race after being a Mac guy for 10 years and a lifetime console gamer.

Fractal Define R3
Intel i5 2500k (not overclocked yet)
Asus P8P67 Pro
Asus GTX570 DirectCUII
Corsair HX750 PSU
8GB G-Skill Ripjaw DDR3
WD Cavier Black 1TB
Crucial C300 128GB SSD

The parts:
0e137175.jpg

Put together:
2db3c1d3.jpg

Final result adding a Samsung P2450H, Logitech MX518, and Razer Arctosa keyboard:
photo-1.jpg

Was nervous as hell putting it together but very happy with the result. My first experiences PC gaming being Crysis, Crysis2, Team Fortress 2, Witcher 2, Dragon Age 2, Torchlight. And loving it.

TheKurgan

kinoki said:
Ordered my PC on monday, should arrive next week.

Basic specs:

Intel i5 2500K
8GB of Corsair RAM
ATI Radeon 6950 2GB

This should keep up-to-snuff for atleast a couple of years, I think. Looking forward to returning to PC gaming again after two years absense.

Exact same set up as me. Overclock the 2500k to 4.5Ghz, unlock your shaders on the 6950 and you will be laughing.

mkenyon

Banned
Fredescu said:
I have this and the steelseries xai plugged in at all times. The Naga I would not recommend for FPS. It is a super comfy mouse, and once you get used to the thumb buttons (took me a couple weeks) they're really nice. I use it in MMOs, RTS, and MoBA games.

mkenyon

Banned
Tendo said:
Hey all, seems I post in here once every few months about CPU upgrades. Still looking to upgrade... I'm currently eying this combo deal on Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.660185 any good? Anything more recommended? Would I need more than stock cooling fans in my antec 900?
All that's in the OP. 2600 = video encoding and the like, 2500 = games. You will literally see no difference with the 2600 over the 2500 in games.

*edit* two double posts in as many days. Sorry!

Coldsnap

Anyone have a death addler mouse and find it a bit heavy? I've been using this mouse for two years now and really like it but I just noticed how heavy it is.

I really need to get a new keyboard, I've got a $1,200 PC but a crappy wireless logitech that has the "mushiest" keys.

That Fractal Define R3 is looking sexy. I'm tempted to dump my Antec 300 for it.

Coldsnap said:
I really need to get a new keyboard, I've got a $1,200 PC but a crappy wireless logitech that has the "mushiest" keys.

I have a love affair with Saitek's Cyborg Keyboard. Everytime one goes bad, I'm off to get another one. And just to clarify, they are durable keyboards but nothing can withstand the might of the 2 year old boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SAJCYU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Arnie

Congratulations Black Prophecy, looks great. My planned build at the end of the summer will be eerily similar to yours so it's good to see it up and running. The only difference I can see is maybe the PSU and the monitor, although I was looking at Samsung as a brand.

mkenyon

Banned
Coldsnap said:
Anyone have a death addler mouse and find it a bit heavy? I've been using this mouse for two years now and really like it but I just noticed how heavy it is.

You want the Steelseries Xai. Deathadder was my previous favorite, the weight being the only gripe.

Quick question before i buy. Is the Corsair TX650 good/efficient enough for the $1000 build in the OP with overclocking? Single GPU only for sure though. Or should i buy the 750 for overclock + single GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom