• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered the Intel 320 120GB SSD for $230. I really hope the computing experience was worth the early tech adopter charge even though i know it will bring diminishing returns!

ithorien

R6jVH.jpg

Hazaro you're famous (I know what it actually says)

TrounceX

Hey guys I'm having a bit of trouble with overclocking my 2500k if that's even possible, mostly with the voltages. I'm using an Asus P867 pro and for some reason I can manually set it to a 1.35 vcore which I've heard is pretty acceptable, but then whenever I run a test (in this case intel burn test) my volts go to like 1.48 or even more! I'm only at 4.5 Ghz...what the heck?

I'm still new to this so sorry if this is a stupid post.

need help identifying the model number on some speakers
all I know is they are logitech 5.1 500 watt speakers, and heres a picture
2011-06-1695075327.jpg

Can get the set for 100 bucks, including a soundblaster soundcard, any help on the model number?

Gvaz

Banned
Mr Nightman said:
need help identifying the model number on some speakers
all I know is they are logitech 5.1 500 watt speakers, and heres a picture
2011-06-1695075327.jpg

Can get the set for 100 bucks, including a soundblaster soundcard, any help on the model number?
That's the Logitech G51, I have the exact same model.

it's also not 500w. Its only 155w, about 300w at most.

They're "okay". No optical in port, no hdmi or anything.

Gvaz said:
That's the Logitech G51, I have the exact same model.

it's also not 500w. Its only 155w, about 300w at most.

They're "okay". No optical in port, no hdmi or anything.
so are they really worth 100 used, found them on craigslits. Was thinking of replacing my 75 watt logitech 5.1 with these possibly

TheExodu5 said:
Wattage means nothing. Don't use it as a metric for quality.
yea I know, the main thing I dont like with my current ones, is the volume knob is on the front right speaker. Its a tough stretch for me in my wheelchair, soo the g51's control pod would be a godsend. I mean I know they aren't as good as higher priced sets, as long as it has clear sound I would be happy. Just wondering about their quality

rbenchley

blackprophesy said:
My first post on NeoGAF and celebrating by posting my very recent first PC build, thanks to this thread.

Finally joined the PC master race after being a Mac guy for 10 years and a lifetime console gamer.
Congratulations! You have a beautiful setup there. Like you, I was a Mac user and console player for a long time, but joined the ranks of the PC Master Race. I've learned to love Steam, but with my massive library of console games I probably enjoy the machine just as much for it's ability to play my PS2 and GameCube games at 1080p. Life is very good for PC gamers.

RS4-

Mr Nightman said:
so are they really worth 100 used, found them on craigslits. Was thinking of replacing my 75 watt logitech 5.1 with these possibly

I don't know if they're worth 100. You might be able to find the x540 (?) and x640 for around the same price. Stretching it, you could probably find a z5500 for under $200. Same with with the lower end 5300.

Logitechs have...well the quality is a tossup.

I'd totally recommend the Swan m10 @ $120 (I believe shipping is close to $30 for US I think) http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?products_id=89

ithorien

barnone said:
Trying to figure out what's up with this GTS 250. I took a screen shot in a League of legends game. There are many more of these artifacts drawn in a 1 second period. I tried updating my driver but that didn't work today or a month ago (I've been infrequently using this PC) : /

Anyway, here is the screenshot. It's a bit big so I won't post it directly.

You can see the artifacts at the bottom on the minion, minion shadow, and nasus's uhm.. :p

I had a similar effect like this in WoW a while ago, it was due to the power supply being overused because i had 87 HDDs in the PC (splitters etc). Are you overworking your PSU?

mkenyon

Banned
ithorien said:
I had a similar effect like this in WoW a while ago, it was due to the power supply being overused because i had 87 HDDs in the PC (splitters etc). Are you overworking your PSU?
*bow*

For the question, can be related to an overheating and/or dying card. What are the temps at?

knitoe

TrounceX said:
Hey guys I'm having a bit of trouble with overclocking my 2500k if that's even possible, mostly with the voltages. I'm using an Asus P867 pro and for some reason I can manually set it to a 1.35 vcore which I've heard is pretty acceptable, but then whenever I run a test (in this case intel burn test) my volts go to like 1.48 or even more! I'm only at 4.5 Ghz...what the heck?

I'm still new to this so sorry if this is a stupid post.
You have enable other options that add voltages, like Line Calibration (LLC), Internal CPU PLL and etc. It's best to disable them if you don't need them to overclock. Also, use Offset instead of manually setting the voltage so the voltage will drop when computer idling instead of staying at the number you set.

barnone

I am getting 60C temp while running LoL.

Edit: I think it's a bad card :/ My dad had it lying around (exposed on a desk) for a while when he couldnt get it to work, and I just installed it in a month ago for the summer.

RS4- said:
I don't know if they're worth 100. You might be able to find the x540 (?) and x640 for around the same price. Stretching it, you could probably find a z5500 for under $200. Same with with the lower end 5300.

Logitechs have...well the quality is a tossup.

I'd totally recommend the Swan m10 @ $120 (I believe shipping is close to $30 for US I think) http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?products_id=89
decided to snag the g51's, for 100, which includes a soundblaster soundcard as well

RS4-

Mr Nightman said:
decided to snag the g51's, for 100, which includes a soundblaster soundcard as well

Nice. Make sure to check out the drivers for the soundcard and your OS, some do some really stupid stuff. I think it was the Xonar DX2 that destroyed WIndows 7 unless you had custom drivers for that particular card.

ithorien

barnone said:
I am getting 60C temp while running LoL.

Edit: I think it's a bad card :/ My dad had it lying around (exposed on a desk) for a while when he couldnt get it to work, and I just installed it in a month ago for the summer.

What about power. My card was perfectly fine, but I didn't realize it until I started unplugging devices (sorry mkenyon, it wasn't actually 87 :p closer to 6-7 but same effect).

Damn, Fry's had a GTX 590 in stock at store and I was gunna go get it. When I got home, it was out of stock. Anyone know a B&M that would sell it?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PantherLotus said:
Processor: Intel Core i3 CPU 550 (4 CPUs) @ 3.2GHZ
RAM: 8GB

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics (Core i3)
Memory: 1.7GB

DirectX Version: 11

I don't know what any of this means, but I'm trying to figure out what games I can currently play. I realize my graphics card isn't necessarily intended for gaming, but it would be pretty cool if I could play games a couple of years old. Any help?

I know I'm on the lame end of things but would really appreciate if anyone can offer some advice regarding which games this can run.

Hey PC gaf, got a quick question for you.

I built my PC last summer and I've been wanting to upgrade my AMD Athlon II x4 640 processor.

Should I wait for the upcoming Bulldozer (haven't found a release date for it) or would I see a substantial enough performance boost with one available now?

My graphics card is a 5770 if that helps.

mkenyon

Banned
PantherLotus said:
I know I'm on the lame end of things but would really appreciate if anyone can offer some advice regarding which games this can run.
There's a laptop thread, checkout the OP. Not many folks in this thread know much about the laptop specifics.

Rodney McKay said:
Hey PC gaf, got a quick question for you.

I built my PC last summer and I've been wanting to upgrade my AMD Athlon II x4 640 processor.

Should I wait for the upcoming Bulldozer (haven't found a release date for it) or would I see a substantial enough performance boost with one available now?

My graphics card is a 5770 if that helps.
If you're not hurting in any game, then go ahead and wait. If you are hurting, check out a mobo/CPU/GPU combo from the OP. Sandybridge is where its at right now.

RS4- said:
Nice. Make sure to check out the drivers for the soundcard and your OS, some do some really stupid stuff. I think it was the Xonar DX2 that destroyed WIndows 7 unless you had custom drivers for that particular card.
Well I am still just using my integrated via 5.1 audio, and damn these things sound good, much better than my x-530's, I am one happy person lol

sn00zer

My current comp is as such
8800GTS
3.5 GB Ram
Core 2 Duo

Could someone recommend me a new gfx card in the $50 to $60 dollar range? I want to run my games at 1680*1050 at a solid 60fps. Dont give a shit about AA.

Most games I play run between 30 and 60 fps, but Ive noticed with some games my rig chugs (Metro, Crysis). Would be nice to get a solid experience out of those games.

RS4-

DeadFalling said:
Noise is a big factor in this build.. Probably going to add in an SSD for a system drive

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20367787

My first build... any advice?

Already ordered the RAM, which I got for $15 off with a coupon code. I have also already ordered the case and the HDD.

Kinda unsure on the PSU, GPU and Mobo

Since you're already spending $320 for the 2400 + gigabyte, you could add an extra $55 for this combo: http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/AddToCart.aspx?Submit=ADD&ItemList=Combo.660725 (2500k & Asus P8P67 Pro)

If you really want to keep the gigabyte brand, there are 3 or 4 more 2500k + gigabyte combos on newegg.

PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=corsair_power_supply-_-17-139-005-_-Product Corsair 650TX for only $90, $75 with rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=corsair_power_supply-_-17-139-012-_-Product Corsair 650HX $120 (110 after rebate)

Better than your current choice, one cheaper, one more expensive.

Kogepan

Quick question:

is the HD3000 on some of the Sandy Bridge CPU worth the extra cost? I'm planning on building a general use computer and wont be doing much gaming, but would like to be able to fire up somehting like Civ4/5 every once in awhile.

Also, is there any downside to using a cheaper H61 vs. a H67 motherboard? I'm not concerned about fewer RAM or PCIe slots, but i want to make sure the special SNB video encoding/transcoding engine is still functional.

thx.

Can someone please explain what "RAID 0" config is and whats the difference you get with it? Does your computer naturally set your HDD to RAID 0 when you install it?

ithorien

momolicious said:
Can someone please explain what "RAID 0" config is and whats the difference you get with it? Does your computer naturally set your HDD to RAID 0 when you install it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

RAID 0 Block-level striping without parity or mirroring. All disks into one big partition.
RAID 1 Mirroring without parity or striping. Mirrors partition to second set of disc(s).

ithorien said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

RAID 0 Block-level striping without parity or mirroring. All disks into one big partition.
RAID 1 Mirroring without parity or striping. Mirrors partition to second set of disc(s).

So it only benefits you if you have more than 1 HDD as it just combines multiple HDD? Therefore if you have single HDD, dont worry about it right.

RS4- said:
Since you're already spending $320 for the 2400 + gigabyte, you could add an extra $55 for this combo: http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/AddToCart.aspx?Submit=ADD&ItemList=Combo.660725 (2500k & Asus P8P67 Pro)

If you really want to keep the gigabyte brand, there are 3 or 4 more 2500k + gigabyte combos on newegg.

PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=corsair_power_supply-_-17-139-005-_-Product Corsair 650TX for only $90, $75 with rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=corsair_power_supply-_-17-139-012-_-Product Corsair 650HX $120 (110 after rebate)

Better than your current choice, one cheaper, one more expensive.

I failed to mention that the Mobo and CPU come in a combo for $25 off, so really it's only $295. Which makes your initial alternative actually $80 more expensive. :/

Any clue on how those PSU's are sound-wise?

chewydogg

So I've decided to build our new PC. I've basically taken the $600 build from the OP and added bigger HDD and more RAM. I know next to nothing about actually putting this thing together. Which case to get? Whether or not to overclock?

After skimming through this thread, I'm a little overwhelmed. I feel like I might be in over my head.

ithorien

momolicious said:
So it only benefits you if you have more than 1 HDD as it just combines multiple HDD? Therefore if you have single HDD, dont worry about it right.

Correct. RAID is only possible with 2+ disks.

RS4-

DeadFalling said:
I failed to mention that the Mobo and CPU come in a combo for $25 off, so really it's only $295. Which makes your initial alternative actually $80 more expensive. :/

Any clue on how those PSU's are sound-wise?

Ah, I should have seen that in re: to the discount. I'll be honest, it might be worth it as the 2500k is a great processor and overclocks to hell and back.

I don't know about the sound; did some random googling and the 650HX is noticeable to some. If the AX series was cheaper or available, I would recommend that as the fan never spins up unless it's under load.

I still own a 620HX and that I suppose you can say was typically noisy for a PSU, something you just get used to.

There's the Seasonic X650, that behaves just like the Corsair AX series; no fan spin unless required. Newegg has it priced at $140. BUT Microcenter has the X660 for only $130!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Raide said:
It is the Intel GMA4500?

I don't know, but it doesn't say that anywhere I can see. Here's my DxDiag:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/16/2011, 21:36:28
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110408-1633)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: DX4840
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8120MB RAM
Page File: 2722MB used, 13514MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i3)
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0042&SUBSYS_04271025&REV_18
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: DELL S2309W
Monitor Id: DELA041
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI

mkenyon said:
There's a laptop thread, checkout the OP. Not many folks in this thread know much about the laptop specifics.

This is definitely not a laptop.

Any ideas?

InertiaXr

PantherLotus said:
I don't know, but it doesn't say that anywhere I can see. Here's my DxDiag:
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i3)

This is definitely not a laptop.

Any ideas?

Gateway's site just says it has an integrated chip. Tom's Hardware has it on this chart and says it's roughly equivelent to a 9600 PRO.

What sort of games do you want to play on this?

After this years horrific e3, the focus on kinect and other motion gaming. I have decided on joining the master race.

Look forward to your advice in building a rig shortly after Bf3 releases.

barnone

Shit I think I might've made a mistake on my order. Can the XFX core series 550W handle a GTX 570/2500k? It just came to my mind that Hazaro probably meant to link the 650W version to me a few pages back >.<

Will I need a different power supply?

What's the cheapest decent z68 mobo at the moment? I don't have the money to go bananas like I hoped so no 650D :(

Things I'm looking for are crossfire/sli support (only 2 cards necessary) and a PCI slot for my sound card.

Have enough money for

CPU: i5 2500K $AU219
Mobo: Some mobo around $AU150ish I hope
RAM:Corsair Vengeance CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 4GB $AU59

Max $AU450

Will the single stick of RAM be a problem with overclocking? I was thinking about slapping in another one when I get some more money.

I was wondering if the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus was compatible with my ASUS P8P67 motherboard, I just got it in the mail today but on the side of the heatsink box, it says it's compatible with Intel Socket LGA775/1156/1366 on it's specifications, but my motherboard is an LGA 1155

Should I worry? Is it not compatible!?!?

Scuba Steve said:
I was wondering if the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus was compatible with my ASUS P8P67 motherboard, I just got it in the mail today but on the side of the heatsink box, it says it's compatible with Intel Socket LGA775/1156/1366 on it's specifications, but my motherboard is an LGA 1155

Should I worry? Is it not compatible!?!?

1156 and 1155 are the same when it comes to socket size. You'll be fine. ;)

Gvaz

Banned
Mr Nightman said:
Well I am still just using my integrated via 5.1 audio, and damn these things sound good, much better than my x-530's, I am one happy person lol
I have mine (they were brand new) connected to my x-fi xtrememusic but they sound okay to me.

Then again I tend to have higher standards and have some HD555s to compare them to.

I really want to get a nice Xonar card with optical out but I'm not sure what is a good one to get.

My dad's prolly gonna give me his HDAV 1.3 or w/e and I can hook it up to a technics SA-DX930 reciever (I'd have some other devices hooked up into it) or a cheap Okonyo or w/e he would let me borrow. The technics is "technically" mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom