• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
scy said:
Hm, looks like the consensus so far is the MX518, though I may just spring on the G500 over it as it's the "gaming" mouse versus the MX line. Guess I'll see if I can find one locally (actually, I think my roommate may use one >>) and do some comparisons with that.

And I think I'll just impulse buy a Steelseries mousepad to go with it; $10 to try it out is no big deal, I suppose. Might bite the bullet on the Mionix Naos just to be able to get some user impressions of my own in this thread for the future.

fake edit: That RAT 9 scares me. Holy shit, is that a torture device? But yet, I'm intrigued...

I have a NAOS 5000. Just picked it up at Fry's for 50 bucks.

Overall it's a damn smooth mouse and the software you download off the site is super customizable such as dpi settings, led light color, surface tracking test etc.

Also if you go with a NAOS 5000 i heard that the laser sensor is picky with surfaces and does well with hard mousepads/surfaces over cloth.

eznark

Banned
Um, anyone know why the image on my monitor would be trembling? I dont think it is a monitor problem since the bios looks normal

Calidor

I'm about to upgrade my computer, here is the build that I put together:

Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5
Asus GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768Mb
AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz
GIGABYTE GA-870A-USB3
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Will I be able to run Battlefield 3 at 1440x900 with full detail & 60 fps?

mkenyon

Banned
Calidor said:

GIGABYTE GA-870A-USB3

Maybe? No one will know for sure until the game is released. If you're building for that, wait till release is closer to build.

*edit* Just realized thats a 768MB 460. In that case, I will almost guarantee it won't.

*edit #2*
Per the mice discussion. In the last 3 years, I have had:
MX518
G500
G9
Razer Lachesis
Razer Deathadder
RAT 7
Razer Naga
Razer Imperator
Steelseries Xai

Xai > everything else, with the Imperator/Deathadder a close second. Surfaces matter a ton in FPS or MoBA games due to how mouse movement feels on it. The Razer Destructor is the king of that arena, with a lot of friends swearing by the steel series hard surface.

Coldsnap

·feist· said:
Open the door and then click open the flap to reveal the fan.

FD-CA-DEF-R3-WH_3_medium.jpg

Bottom intakes don't work for some, and actually raise their temps. You should try the fan in different configs to see which has the best temp result with your components.

Hmmm, thanks. You really think I will notice temp change from moving a 500rpm fan? If so I will change its place next time i dust it out. What would be the best way of taking before and after temps? What program should I run and for how long? Thanks in advance, I'm still learning.

I was wondering, can a 650W CPU handle CF'd/SLI'd 6950s or 560s?

In retrospect I should have spent the extra $30 when I bought it but I wasn't planning on a dual card config at the time.

It's a Corsair HX650, btw.

n0n44m

toasty_T said:
I was wondering, can a 650W CPU handle CF'd/SLI'd 6950s?

In retrospect I should have spent the extra $30 when I bought it but I wasn't planning on a dual card config at the time.

It's a Corsair HX650, btw.

stock 6950s yes, but 6950s oc'ed to 6970 energy levels + cpu oc will push it near its limit though

I've got one as well, will only swap it out for a 1200w unit :p

Calidor said:

GIGABYTE GA-870A-USB3

For your resolution, the 768MB 460 is fine. If you overclock it to 900 core(1800 shader) you have stock 470 performance, which is plenty.

I would ditch the Phenom II and grab an i3 2100 and a decent $100 board which sets you up in the future for a better 1155 CPU and still gives you a very capable chip now.

Where are you buying from? The 6850 and 1GB 460s are now in the 140 range at quite a few places with the 6870(current best bang for buck) under 190 before rebates(seen as low as 140 after).

No one knows what it will take for 60fps at full detail in BF3 yet, but it won't be any mid range card.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
·feist· said:
Also, this thread is growing too quickly. Seems to be the case with each successive year's edition growing faster than the last. On track to needing a brief OT3 stopgap before 2012's OP arrives.
Tell me about it.

Code:
2008 had 7,400
2009 had 13,000
2010 had 19,998
2011 has 20,000 in 6 months (OT1)
Basically the PC thread is also following Moore's Law and doubling every year.

Ultrabum

Hazaro said:
Tell me about it.

Code:
2008 had 7,400
2009 had 13,000
2010 had 19,998
2011 has 20,000 in 6 months (OT1)
Basically the PC thread is also following Moore's Law and doubling every year.

I find this very interesting and funny.

So, I'm upgrading from my 7950GT to a new DX11 card.

I'm thinking about the GTX 560 Ti. My res is 1440x900 (Might get a new monitor with 1680x1050).

What do you guys think?

RS4-

Ugh, I can finally put my new pc together, just got home with the 2600k. Going to use stock cooler, will pick up a Noctua D14 later this week along with the SSD

Then pick up another 1080p monitor.

B-Dex

Well I really don't want a plain looking case. I do like the 690 II advance, especially the Nvidia version (Nvidia fanboy).

But I don't mind the aesthetics of the Enforcer I linked either. How hard would it be to change the LEDs to green?

Eric WK

Kinda bummed. Every single component for my build will be here by Thursday except for the GPU which won't be here until Monday.
LLShC.gif

But anyway, dumb question incoming. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to install the 4870 I've been using just to make sure the new build posts and checks out and to get everything installed?

And also, if I decide to overclock my 2500k using the tutorial in the OP, can I just do that whenever?

Thanks!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
B-Dex said:
Well I really don't want a plain looking case. I do like the 690 II advance, especially the Nvidia version (Nvidia fanboy).

But I don't mind the aesthetics of the Enforcer I linked either. How hard would it be to change the LEDs to green?
Change the fans.
The Stealth Fox said:
My motherboard supports DDR3 1333 MHZ ram, and I have DDR3 1333 mhz ram, yet it's running it at 1066 MHZ.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220466

My mobo is a MSI-880GM-E43. How do I solve this?
Go into the BIOS and set it to 1333. Or not care since its a 2% difference tops.
Eric WK said:
Kinda bummed. Every single component for my build will be here by Thursday except for the GPU which won't be here until Monday.
LLShC.gif

But anyway, dumb question incoming. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to install the 4870 I've been using just to make sure the new build posts and checks out and to get everything installed?

And also, if I decide to overclock my 2500k using the tutorial in the OP, can I just do that whenever?

Thanks!
Sure
Yep

MisterNoisy

B-Dex said:
Anyone have thoughts on InWin? Kinda digging the Dragon Slayer case.

It's actually not that bad a case if you like the aesthetics, but I think that if you're looking for a dedicated mATX mini-tower, the NZXT Vulcan is significantly nicer - I've got my 'fourth gaming console' built in one, and it's really slick, with room for 120mm tower coolers and any video card on the market, combined with good cable management and lots of airflow.

nHKy9.jpg

If you're not explicitly looking at mATX form factor, there's better options than either - the CM 690II and the HAF 912 come immediately to mind, especially if you're looking to spend under $100.

Wallach

scy said:
So, thinking of replacing my Logitech G5 (or, at least, get a mouse to supplement it) as it's starting to feel kind of sluggish and showing signs of age (6-ish years). So, looking at a few mice so far:

Mionix Naos 5000
Razer Deathadder
Logitech MX518

Not really keen on the MX518 since I don't really like the look of it but left it in just in case it's worth a second look. Extra buttons aren't a huge pressing "OMG NEED 9" concern but a few would be nice to have. Mostly curious on the first two as I don't really think either I can find locally to play with to see how I like the feel of personally.

Probably thinking of dropping in some kind of "real" mousepad as well as opposed to just ... using my desk. Don't know a damn thing on that, though, since I haven't used any kind of mousepad in something like 10 years.

Out of those 3, I prefer the MX518. The Death Adder has a better sensor, and I prefer the side buttons on it, but I don't like the overall shape or the actual LMB/RMB as much as the MX518. Also prefer the scroll wheel on the MX518 to the DA, and the overall build quality of Razer mice I find inferior to Logitech.

As for the Mionix, I don't care for the sensor (Avago 9500) because it has built-in acceleration that you can't get rid of. I don't mind prediction but I get super annoyed with positive acceleration.

bill0527

I think I screwed up installing Windows 7 Home Premium on my new build.

I used my installation disc, and after I installed it and did ton of updates, I realized that it was the upgrade version of Win 7 I used on my old PC. On my old PC i had Win Vista 32-bit and purchased a Win 7 upgrade disc the day it was released.

Now it will not accept this product key at all and I called Microsoft and after the first woman hung up on me for some reason, the second guy said I could not activate what I just installed on my new build with a Win 7 upgrade key.

I've already installed SP1 and a bunch of other crap and halfway through putting all my music and pictures from my backups onto my new build. I'm about 4-5 hours worth of time into this already.

What can I do without having to delete this version of Windows 7 or running out and buying a $200 version of it? Can I just buy the Win 7 SP1 OEM system builders disc off Newegg and use that product key to activate what I'm using right now?

MisterNoisy

Giveaway time for PC GAF!

Once again, I've got some PC parts that I'll never use and need to get rid of, so I figure I'll offer them up for free to the people here first, with the stipulation that I can only ship to Continental US.

This time, I have a Cooler Master Storm Scout chassis that I transplanted one of my PCs into a Lancool K63 from. It's a bit dusty, but otherwise is in fine shape with all the fans. I've installed a Cooler Master 3x5.25" bay 120mm fan/HDD mount in it with a 120mm Xigmatek fan, as well as a Sony 3.5" multi-format card reader. It also includes as many of the accessories as I could find, including all the standoffs installed for a standard ATX motherboard as well as all the HDD rails and thumbscrews for most of the expansion slots. It also has a 'Core i5 Inside' decal on the front/top panel that I didn't want to risk scuffing up the front panel to remove.

First to quote this post along with the specs of their proposed new build gets the case for free.

xIumV.jpg

LZN1N.jpg

scogoth

MisterNoisy said:

Once again, I've got some PC parts that I'll never use and need to get rid of, so I figure I'll offer them up for free to the people here first, with the stipulation that I can only ship to Continental US.

This time, I have a Cooler Master Storm Scout chassis that I transplanted one of my PCs into a Lancool K63 from. It's a bit dusty, but otherwise is in fine shape with all the fans. I've installed a Cooler Master 3x5.25" bay 120mm fan/HDD mount in it with a 120mm Xigmatek fan, as well as a Sony 3.5" multi-format card reader. It also includes as many of the accessories as I could find, including all the standoffs installed for a standard ATX motherboard as well as all the HDD rails and thumbscrews for most of the expansion slots. It also has a 'Core i5 Inside' decal on the front/top panel that I didn't want to risk scuffing up the front panel to remove.

First to quote this post along with the specs of their proposed new build gets the case for free.

I just bought a new case.

But for fun not the case.
Rampage III Black
990X
2400MHz RAM 64GB damn only comes in 2gb sticks, 12GB then
4x Vertex 3 480GB
3 GTX 580s
1500W PSU
NH-D14
3 ASUS VG236H 3D monitors

Continental US only, oh darn, I was looking forward to replacing my 9 year old Saxon casing.

edit: Might as well do it for fun too.

MisterNoisy said:

http://i.imgur.com/xIumV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LZN1N.jpg

Intel i3-2100
AsRock H61M-VS B3
G.Skill RipJawsX 4GB DDR3-1333 (F3-10666CL8D-4GBXM)
Sapphire HD 5850 Xtreme 1gb/256bit ddr5
A4tech X710-BH
some UPS rated at least 750VA

MisterNoisy said:

xIumV.jpg

LZN1N.jpg

i5-2500k
MSI 560ti twin Frozer
4GB Ripjaws
Antect 520w
Asus p67
Samsung spinpoint f3 1tb
ASUS DVD DRive

MisterNoisy

Advance_Alarm said:
i5-2500k
MSI 560ti twin Frozer
4GB Ripjaws
Antect 520w
Asus p67
Samsung spinpoint f3 1tb
ASUS DVD DRive

Done deal! Shoot me a PM with shipping information and I'll have it out to you tomorrow or the day after.

Also, outside of that power supply, that's damn near the exact PC I have hooked up to my TV right now (with a P8P67-M PRO motherboard). :)

KdoubleA

My first post in ages. Here's what went down with my newly built PC:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
i7-2600k
8GB RAM
EVGA GTX 580 SC 1.5GB
Raidmax 80+G 1000W PSU

When I first ran Windows 7 everything went smooth until my screen flickered and got the dreaded "Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver 275.33 has stopped responding and has recovered successfully." It would then freeze up and I got to hard boot everytime. Ever since then I couldn't get past the Windows 7 welcome screen without having this issue with Nvidia's drivers installed.

Long story short, since last Thursday, I've been troubleshooting like a mad man (doing clean installs of every supported driver for the card, disabling all extra stuff from the motherboard, switching slots, formatting Windows, etc.), and fearing the worst, that my GPU was faulty (and hoping atleast it was my PSU instead).

There were a few times I did manage to get past the problem and stress test the card (played the Witcher 2, ran benchmarks like Unigine Heaven 2.5). Everything looked fine in terms of temps, voltages, clock, etc. The applications ran beautifully. I also ran Heaven on Ubuntu which I didn't experience any problem in whatsoever; and that made me suspect it was a Windows issue.

Anyway, as my last ditch effort, I decided to downclock the card using EVGA Precision to the vanilla settings (772 MHz). Lo and behold, it worked!! Anyway, I kept my fans locked at 77% (3360 RPM), a little loud but ensures my card runs just right at startup (cooling is awesome too).

So my question is, are there any negative side effects or anything of the sort that I should worry about with having locked fan speeds this high? Thanks!

Yoritomo

KdoubleA said:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
i7-2600k
8GB RAM
EVGA GTX 580 SC 1.5GB
Raidmax 80+G 1000W PSU

When I first ran Windows 7 everything went smooth until my screen flickered and got the dreaded "Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver 275.33 has stopped responding and has recovered successfully." It would then freeze up and I got to hard boot everytime. Ever since then I couldn't get past the Windows 7 welcome screen without having this issue with Nvidia's drivers installed.

Long story short, since last Thursday, I've been troubleshooting like a mad man (doing clean installs of every supported driver for the card, disabling all extra stuff from the motherboard, switching slots, formatting Windows, etc.), and fearing the worst, that my GPU was faulty (and hoping atleast it was my PSU instead).

There were a few times I did manage to get past the problem and stress test the card (played the Witcher 2, ran benchmarks like Unigine Heaven 2.5). Everything looked fine in terms of temps, voltages, clock, etc. The applications ran beautifully. I also ran Heaven on Ubuntu which I didn't experience any problem in whatsoever; and that made me suspect it was a Windows issue.

Anyway, as my last ditch effort, I decided to downclock the card using EVGA Precision to the vanilla settings (772 MHz). Lo and behold, it worked!! Anyway, I kept my fans locked at 77% (3360 RPM), a little loud but ensures my card runs just right at startup (cooling is awesome too).

So my question is, are there any negative side effects or anything of the sort that I should worry about with having locked fan speeds this high? Thanks!

You'll want to RMA the card. Not because of the fan speeds but because the card doesn't work at the advertised settings.

barnone

I am RMA'ing my MSI P67A-GD55 : /

Was blue screening as I tried to reinstall Windows after the first successful installation (which was followed by plenty of blue screens on boot up). I tried other parts from my dad's computer, and spent about 6 hours total trying to figure out what where my hardware fault was but I decided it had to be the mobo. Kind of bummed I have to pay $14 for the RMA shipping and wait about a week to get a new mobo from Newegg.

MisterNoisy

KdoubleA said:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
i7-2600k
8GB RAM
EVGA GTX 580 SC 1.5GB
Raidmax 80+G 1000W PSU

To be honest, I'd do a RMA since the card isn't performing properly at the factory-shipped clocks (likely a memory module is overheating and erroring or similar) and it's not like it was cheap, but you shouldn't have any issues apart from the jet-engine noise running the fans like that.

KdoubleA

Yoritomo said:
You'll want to RMA the card. Not because of the fan speeds but because the card doesn't work at the advertised settings.

I see. I actually started the RMA process just before I changed the settings. I believe you're right and I should go ahead and do that anyway. I do have the option to let them send the replacement card first.

Anyway, the card did work perfectly with the linux drivers (with the factory superclocked speeds, 797). So that's why I'm a little skeptical a new one will work. Maybe there's some weird incompatibility with the Asus z68 chipset, nvidia drivers and Windows 7?

MisterNoisy said:
To be honest, I'd do a RMA since the card isn't performing properly at the factory-shipped clocks (likely a memory module is overheating and erroring or similar) and it's not like it was cheap, but you shouldn't have any issues apart from the jet-engine noise running the fans like that.

Good to know, thanks!

scogoth

Alright new case is in. A white Bitfenix Colossus with window and blue accent lighting. I was tired of my Antec nine hundred two, it was a good case but not great for frequent upgrading/tweaking. It was small, air flow was constricted and with 6 1800rpm fans it sounded like a jet (my fault on not buying quieter fans).

The New Case

The Difference

The Antec isn't tiny, this case is huge.

Old Build

Cramped and wires held in place with duct tape...

Inside

I think everything will fit.

New Build

Thats a little more like it. Finally some room to move around.

Backside

Not the cleanest wiring but gets the job done and keeps them out of the windowed side.

The case was very good all round, a couple of things that could be improved though. The tool-less expansion slots and drive bays are sometimes hard to click, the routing for cables through the front door is a little tight for some of the thicker USB cabled out there and as usual the front audio connector is just a bit on the short side. On the plus side a lot quieter, lots of room, lots of routing holes, lots of space behind the motherboard, huge cutout for heatsink backplates, massive fans on front and top and generally good build quality. Everything is steel but no sharp edges, all rolled. Plastic is used appropriately which makes the case not that heavy despite being very large but it still doesn't feel cheap. Next up is a mATX water cooled system when ivy bridge comes out.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
MisterNoisy said:
Done deal! Shoot me a PM with shipping information and I'll have it out to you tomorrow or the day after.

Also, outside of that power supply, that's damn near the exact PC I have hooked up to my TV right now (with a P8P67-M PRO motherboard). :)

Damn if he for some reason doesn't take it, i'll be glad to be in the running for next :)

Amd Phenom x6 1055t
4 gigs ddr3 1333
1 tb hdd
gtx 260 <-- need to upgrade this
Msi motherboard

MisterNoisy

scogoth said:
Alright new case is in. A white Bitfenix Colossus with window and blue accent lighting. I was tired of my Antec nine hundred two, it was a good case but not great for frequent upgrading/tweaking. It was small, air flow was constricted and with 6 1800rpm fans it sounded like a jet (my fault on not buying quieter fans).

(images snipped)

The case was very good all round, a couple of things that could be improved though. The tool-less expansion slots and drive bays are sometimes hard to click, the routing for cables through the front door is a little tight for some of the thicker USB cabled out there and as usual the front audio connector is just a bit on the short side. On the plus side a lot quieter, lots of room, lots of routing holes, lots of space behind the motherboard, huge cutout for heatsink backplates, massive fans on front and top and generally good build quality. Everything is steel but no sharp edges, all rolled. Plastic is used appropriately which makes the case not that heavy despite being very large but it still doesn't feel cheap. Next up is a mATX water cooled system when ivy bridge comes out.

Good god, that case is huge. Like the look and the space, though - that Noctua cooler almost looks normal sized in there. ;)

Nice to see that the ex-CM guys are turning out quality stuff, and I'm really digging that chassis in white.

EDIT: Case is claimed - sorry.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
MisterNoisy said:
Good god, that case is huge. Like the look and the space, though - that Noctua cooler almost looks normal sized in there. ;)

Nice to see that the ex-CM guys are turning out quality stuff, and I'm really digging that chassis in white.

EDIT: Case is claimed - sorry.

This goes to all generous GAFers, if anyone is giving away a free case, then keep me in mind :) I'm tired of my 7 year old OG Antec Sonata case.

scogoth

Eltacoman said:
Received my CM 212 Hyper today. Got damn, this thing is big.

Wait till you see a NH-D14 or Silver Arrow up close.

B-Dex said:
Wow i'm digging that bitfenix case. Too bad NCIX says it'll take 2 months to get it :(. Black and green is sexy.

Yeah sorry about that I grabbed the last one. It took them 2 weeks to deliver it cause they shipped from their warehouse in vancouver to the aberdeen retail store the day my order went in, I live in Ontario.

Shambles

Eltacoman said:
Hey I'm new to this building computer thing. I'm used to tiny stock guys lol.

It's not the size it's how you use it that matters ;)

I'm not sure if i'm all aboard with all these white cases making their way out. I can just picture seeing them after 5 years showing every scar clearly visible. I just picture other cheap white plastic things i've had that have yellowed over the years. There are some white with black cases that very well could tempt me though. I just don't know if I love them, hate them, or am neutral about them yet.

Ezahn

Ezahn said:
What was I saying? Later? naaaa more like NOW.
The SSD fever is getting at me.
So, I think 120 Gb should be enough for starters.
I read about the huge Vertex3 problems... pity, seemed great.
Now that leaves me with Intel 320 or Crucial M4 (cheaper) or Intel 510.
What do you think? Which 120 model?

And if I go the SSD way would it be better to leave the F3 and mount up the OP's 2 TB F4?

Thank God there's GAF.

Friendly bump! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom