• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

Agreed. Turns out my inside guy from Sapphire was telling the truth. He said they were having yield issues and they'd be launching sometime Q2.

Even then, it's not like current gen cards are slouches. Almost bought two Hydro Copper Classified 580s yesterday. The thought of what was to come with the 79xx made me hold off. Now they're out of stock. FML. Should have trusted my gut.

Should of went for it my man. 2x 580s of any kind and you're probably set for two generations at the minimum. Even more if you get the higher VRAM models. I bet the new cards come in around Q3. I'd like for them to come earlier, but I'm reading about all kinds of yield problems and you just mentioned the same.

Is there any specific RAM you guys would recommend or is the Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 just fine?

In other news, my G5 case was shipped today, yay!

Smokey

Just a head's up for anyone that wants some awesome case fans that push massive amounts of air (fan controller recommended): Newegg has Scythe 120mm Slipstream fans on sale for like $4.xx each. I just bought 5 for $24.xx shipped with UPS shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo
35-185-060-03.jpg

Use coupon code: EMCJHKD58

Must order 2 or more, limit 5.

Enjoy. Can't wait to replace the el cheapo Rosewill and Cooler Master 120mm's in my case, they can't even really take advantage of my fan controller...

Oh crap how did I miss this :(. I had these in my hand today at Microcenter but put them back to do some more research. They were $14 a piece :(

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, sexy deal on those Scythe fans. I have a couple of 'em in my build and they really are fantastic...

Anyways, my wireless router's been acting up quite a bit lately and even after I've reset it, updated firmware, power cycled, etc. its issues remain. So I think it's time to replace it - any recommendations on good wireless N routers? I can swing ~$100 for one, though of course cheaper is preferable!

mkenyon

Banned
Is there any specific RAM you guys would recommend or is the Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 just fine?

In other news, my G5 case was shipped today, yay!
Please please please do a log of your build. Will watch with baited breath.

1.5V DDR3 and you're set on RAM. I know a lot of guys that think really highly of the newest Kingston RAM. Apparently they actually bin it for the HyperX brand.

Both are very nice cases, but both are probably ill suited for an aftermarket GPU cooling solution (though for different reasons).

I think the FT02 is an awesome case, but the fact that some aftermarket coolers don't function properly in it is a shame.
i just want a good balance of silence and good airflow.
i welcome any other options.

mkenyon

Banned
I really think that balance requires a combination of a good case choice, good aftermarket fans, and a good fan controller. The Define, Shinobi, CM Silencio, and Antec P280 are good choices for the cases. Stick on some Scythe GT's, Yate Loons, or Thermalright X-Silent fans. Combine with either a built in fan controller, one of the controllers that Feist posted earlier, or a nice 30w/channel Lamptron controller.

I really think that balance requires a combination of a good case choice, good aftermarket fans, and a good fan controller. The Define, Shinobi, CM Silencio, and Antec P280 are good choices for the cases. Stick on some Scythe GT's, Yate Loons, or Thermalright X-Silent fans. Combine with either a built in fan controller, one of the controllers that Feist posted earlier, or a nice 30w/channel Lamptron controller.

fractal r3 it is then. thanks mkenyon.

Oh crap how did I miss this :(. I had these in my hand today at Microcenter but put them back to do some more research. They were $14 a piece :(

Sorry dude, they went fast. Mine already shipped today and should be here in the next day or two. But they fucking shipped from TN, BOO. BOO NEWEGG. I live 35 mins from their HQ and they ship to me from Bumfuck, TN!

Anyways, really excited to see what these bad boys can do. I'm hoping for 5-7c drops, even without cranking them to 100%. Probably run them at like 50% constantly.

Please please please do a log of your build. Will watch with baited breath.

1.5V DDR3 and you're set on RAM. I know a lot of guys that think really highly of the newest Kingston RAM. Apparently they actually bin it for the HyperX brand.

Please don't expect too much. I still don't have any specific plans. I'd love to leave the rear side intact, but that will be pretty much impossible without being lazy and just running the cables through the open fan holes. I found a log with some simple solutions and it looked great, but my case doesn't have the fans and CPU cover anymore (hey, I got it for 46 bucks!), so it wouldn't look that good.
http://build-its.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-fit-your-pc-in-power-mac-g5-case.html

Ah well, I'll have to wait and see a bit more. The Asus mATX board is out of stock right now. Looking for alternatives.

Smokey

I do have a small problem...

For some reason when I press the power button on the machine it will not come on. Most of the time. I usually have to go to my power supply and flip the switch on and off a few times. Then when I press the power button I'll see it flash for a second, like it's suddenly getting power. Another press after getting that and the machine will usually come on. All of the power plugs are in correctly on the motherboard, so the only thing I can think of is my extension cable that I ordered is causing this to happen? I have never had this issue before...

It's a pain because when this happens it's like the BIOS resets and I get asked to go to the setup screen. All my settings are set back to default etc....

Have you tried plugging it in without using the extension cable? If I recall correctly, you got the extension because the stock cable wasn't long enough when trying to route it cleanly behind the motherboard. Forget about prettying up the case for now and just plug it in directly to see if that helps.

Well bros...I just plugged in the PSU cable directly from the PSU into the 8-pin. Pressed power, it came on. Cool. Turned it off. Put side panel back on and pressed power button and it did what I mentioned earlier, which is nothing. Keep pressing and nothing. Flip the switch on the PSU off. Power button flashes very quickly. Flip switch back on, and the computer boots up.

So it's not the extension cable...what is going on here? I went from extension cable -> direct hookup and it's still doing this. So is it my motherboard?

Spoke to Corsair. They said it sounds like a cold boot problem, which they've had some reports of issues in the past but they are few and far between. I'm going to have to send in the AX850 for RMA. I really hope that is all it is but FUCK man...

Celcius

°Temp. member
@Smokey: Sorry to hear about the problem. Seems kinda odd that the psu would start acting up right when you swap the case, but hopefully the rma will fix the issue. Before you send it off, do you have another pc that you could test the psu in to make sure that the problem is the psu and not the mobo?

@Hazaro: Here's a pretty informative & entertaining video on building pc's that you might want to consider adding to the op: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
At first I was kinda hesitant to watch because it's by newegg, but after watching the entire thing I actually enjoyed it and it would be informative for rookies. Plus, they use a lot of components in the build that are really popular nowadays (Vengence ram, hyper 212+, p8p67 mobo, etc)

gokieks

Please don't expect too much. I still don't have any specific plans. I'd love to leave the rear side intact, but that will be pretty much impossible without being lazy and just running the cables through the open fan holes. I found a log with some simple solutions and it looked great, but my case doesn't have the fans and CPU cover anymore (hey, I got it for 46 bucks!), so it wouldn't look that good.
http://build-its.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-fit-your-pc-in-power-mac-g5-case.html

Ah well, I'll have to wait and see a bit more. The Asus mATX board is out of stock right now. Looking for alternatives.

Man, I love the G5 case, but that just looks like way too much work considering the alternative (getting a Lian-Li V1000).

Smokey

@Smokey: Sorry to hear about the problem. Seems kinda odd that the psu would start acting up right when you swap the case, but hopefully the rma will fix the issue. Before you send it off, do you have another pc that you could test the psu in to make sure that the problem is the psu and not the mobo?

I don't, this is all I have. He said they've had a small number of reports of issues with cold booting and then having to flip the switch on the back, so I'm really hoping this is it and not the motherboard. Guess I'm just going to leave my machine on 24/7 so I don't have to go through this until I get a RMA number etc.

:(

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just one more quick thought before you rma: Have you tried booting the machine outside of the case and seeing if the problem continues? Perhaps the new case could be causing a short on the motherboard?
Also, does it only happen when your rig is overclocked or does it also happen at stock?

Red

Looking to get a new SSD drive to replace my 80GB Intel X25-M. My two choices right now are the Crucial m4 and the Adata S511. I'd be getting the 128 or 120GB models respectively. They are the two that seem to perform best out of today's available options. Any input?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Looking to get a new SSD drive to replace my 80GB Intel X25-M. My two choices right now are the Crucial m4 and the Adata S511. I'd be getting the 128 or 120GB models respectively. They are the two that seem to perform best out of today's available options. Any input?

The S511 seems to have reliability issues. I would go with the more popular & reliable M4.

Smokey

Just one more quick thought before you rma: Have you tried booting the machine outside of the case and seeing if the problem continues? Perhaps the new case could be causing a short on the motherboard?
Also, does it only happen when your rig is overclocked or does it also happen at stock?

Happens either way, doesn't matter. The thing about the short is...if there was one my machine would probably cut out while I'm using it or something right? It hasn't done that. It's only when I shut it down. When I do shut it down and then press the power button it comes back on as normal. It's when I am away for some time (30 mins+, work etc) that it won't boot which sounds like a cold boot issue that the tech was mentioning?

Celcius

°Temp. member
True, sounds like the psu then. I've heard that corsair has excellent customer service so hopefully the rma will be quick and smooth.

TheExodu5

Banned
Corsair's customer service is pretty damned good. Called in due to my issues and I told them I was afraid they might not be able to reproduce the issue since it happened very intermittently, and they said they'd ship me a new one regardless. That's great service.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Got my pc all pieced together and I'm getting power to all of the fans, but I'm not getting any video (hdmi). They fans spin up, then after 15 seconds everything reboots.

Asus p9z68-m
Sapphire 6950 2gb

Silverstone gd05
i5 2500k
Silverstone 500w psu
2x4gb g.skill sniper

MisterNoisy

Just finished finally replacing the Hyper 212 I had in my main gaming desktop with a Xigmatek Thor's Hammer.

The TH is a sweet cooler (temps are a fair bit lower across the board with the same push-pull fans, and it looks super-sharp), but goddamn, that thing is a bear to install without a second pair of hands.

Just hooked up my brand new M-Audio BX5a's to my crusty old X-Fi. Damn they sound good. Battlefield 3 sounds SCARY as fuck, and by scary I mean 'oh sweet Jesus this is incredible.'

Now I'm fiending for even higher quality studio monitors.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Got my pc all pieced together and I'm getting power to all of the fans, but I'm not getting any video (hdmi). They fans spin up, then after 15 seconds everything reboots.

Asus p9z68-m
Sapphire 6950 2gb

Silverstone gd05
i5 2500k
Silverstone 500w psu
2x4gb g.skill sniper

Things I would try initially:
1. Clear the CMOS and see if it boots
2. Try to boot with only one stick of ram and see if it works. If not, replace that stick with the one you took out and try again.

Things I would try initially:
1. Clear the CMOS and see if it boots
2. Try to boot with only one stick of ram and see if it works. If not, replace that stick with the one you took out and try again.

And make sure to switch the RAM to different slots. My MSI Z68 motherboard wouldn't boot with anything in the 1st or 3rd slots no matter what, 2nd and 4th were fine. Took that shit back, replaced it with a Z68 Asus, and it worked fine.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
And make sure to switch the RAM to different slots. My MSI Z68 motherboard wouldn't boot with anything in the 1st or 3rd slots no matter what, 2nd and 4th were fine. Took that shit back, replaced it with a Z68 Asus, and it worked fine.

Have mine in the 2nd and 4th now. If it's not the CMOS, I get to disassemble the whole thing to switch slots.

No clearance under the big scythe.

Have mine in the 2nd and 4th now. If it's not the CMOS, I get to disassemble the whole thing to switch slots.

No clearance under the big scythe.

That's why I spent an extra couple of bucks and specifically bought Corsair's low profile 1600 Mhz RAM. The pointless heat sinks would drive me crazy one day if I had to move my CPU heat sink around, I knew that for sure. :p

Petrie

Banned
So now that I have my rig hooked up with my 2500k, the MSI Z68A-G43, and Gskill sniper 1600, plus the coolermaster hyper 212+ all hooked up, I'm looking for a good place to start with overclocking and getting some of this performance I hear so much about. Can someone point me in the right direction of some info on how to overclock on this mobo/CPU/RAM combo? I was able to do so with my E5200 and P5Q Pro thanks to some help here and on Overclock, and I hope I can get the same awesome help this time around. Thanks very much.

So now that I have my rig hooked up with my 2500k, the MSI Z68A-G43, and Gskill sniper 1600, plus the coolermaster hyper 212+ all hooked up, I'm looking for a good place to start with overclocking and getting some of this performance I hear so much about. Can someone point me in the right direction of some info on how to overclock on this mobo/CPU/RAM combo? I was able to do so with my E5200 and P5Q Pro thanks to some help here and on Overclock, and I hope I can get the same awesome help this time around. Thanks very much.

Change multiplier to 45, add a tiny bit of voltage. That's literally it.

If you don't want to add voltage, I had my 2500k running @ 4.2 Ghz at stock voltage on both my MSI Z68 and Asus Z68 motherboards. So just change multiplier to 42. :p

Petrie

Banned

If you don't want to add voltage, I had my 2500k running @ 4.2 Ghz at stock voltage on both my MSI Z68 and Asus Z68 motherboards. So just change multiplier to 42. :p
Hmm, went into Bios and changed it to 42, however when I boot the multiplier remins the same. Not sure what's up, guess ill keep playing with it.

Smokey

What do you use to judge how much voltage to add to a CPU OC?

Messed around with BF3 for a bit. Got my Lightning 580s OC'd to a modest 875mhz @ 1.038v. Temps on the top card varied between 68-71c. Bottom card was usually 8 degrees cooler. That's definitely an improvement. I know the case is doing it's job too as I can feel the warm air breezing on me and it's generally warmer in my area lol. The H100 on the 2600k @ 4.4ghz gave me an average of 62.75c, and this was on the lowest setting out of 3 for fan speed.

Overall even with this rather brief play period I can already tell the difference in the temps from both the GPUs and CPU cooler.

·feist· said:
Did you follow the guide in the OP? While I've never used it, Clunk's beginners' overclocking guides have been among the most popular for at least the last three generations of Intel processors.

Hazaro said:
@Feist, though I appreciate your posts a ton, I'm thinking I need to you put you on ignore for the sake of my bank account.
645R5.png

I need a recommendation for a 2.1 headset in the UK. Don't really wanna spend more than £50, but I could be convinced if the quality boost is big enough. Any suggestions?

Ningo

Just a couple of quick questions, I just received the new ram and ssd I ordered.

Installing the ram, is it just as simple as removing the current ram and replacing with the new dimms?

Secondly, before installing windows 7 onto the ssd i will remove my current hdd and in bios turn ahci on. Will this old hdd work fine in ahci as a storage drive even though it has been used under one of the other non ahci modes.
Also is there a simple way to remove windows 7 from the old hdd without doing a format of the drive?

Thanks

Wazzim

Banned
Sorry dude, they went fast. Mine already shipped today and should be here in the next day or two. But they fucking shipped from TN, BOO. BOO NEWEGG. I live 35 mins from their HQ and they ship to me from Bumfuck, TN!

Anyways, really excited to see what these bad boys can do. I'm hoping for 5-7c drops, even without cranking them to 100%. Probably run them at like 50% constantly.

I have them on 50% when gaming in my machine and they're crazy good.
Never turn them all to 100% though, you'll have a small cyclone in your house
KuGsj.gif

Man, I love the G5 case, but that just looks like way too much work considering the alternative (getting a Lian-Li V1000).

That's one of the easier solutions. :lol The Lian Li was never an option for me. While I love my PC-71, the V1000 series never looked as good as the G5/Mac Pro case, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom