• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Nothing I can't replace. Just a shit ton of music and tv shows and such. All easy enough to replace, just will take FOREVER. Just hoped for an easy fix to keep all my stuffs.

Data transfer service is fairly inexpensive, if time is important for you.

Alternatively, you could try a host of different online programs that can do it. I'm not familiar with what works well though, maybe someone else can chime in.

Petrie

Banned
Data transfer service is fairly inexpensive, if time is important for you.

Alternatively, you could try a host of different online programs that can do it. I'm not familiar with what works well though, maybe someone else can chime in.

Well, I'll wait and see if anyone chimes in about anything reliable, not sure who locally other than Best Buy would do it, and anything they can do I could likely do on my own given Geek Squad's talents.

My furnace has been down for a couple days, which means it was 50ish degrees in here this morning, last night I ran hwmonitor to see just how cold my pc could get during the night
oZpfZ.jpg

Didn't even know a phenom was capable of that lowest temp lol

aktham

Hey guys I'm pretty set on the following parts. I plan to overclock, but nothing too extreme. I already have a cooler master case and power supply. Here are the parts that I own now

GPU: EVGA 275GTX (I know it's my bottleneck, but I'm not really playing anything too demanding)
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB SSD
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

I'm pretty much set on 2500K for my CPU and will get that as soon as a good deal comes up for one.

The only component missing is the motherboard. Which of these should I pick? What's the difference between them?

ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard 169.99

ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS 189.99

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS 209.99

Thanks guys

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I build a friend a 2500k system and it's going crazy with overheating. He got an error saying overclock failed but he never touched anything. Besides that he's now getting 90 degree celcius warnings at idle. What could be up? I've never seen temperatures of 90 on idle, even when overclocked :/

I remember when I unpacked the 2500k the cooler did seem to have some light scratches, could this indicate a used processor resealed? When I first started the system it was already giving me 60 degrees on idle, but someone told me that's normal

mkenyon

Banned
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS 189.99
This is the one you want. Only differences between the latter two are an extra 2 SATA ports on a marvell controller and maybe a different audio chipset. The difference between the first and second is (hopefully) ivy bridge compatibility, as well as PCI-E 3.0 slots.

I build a friend a 2500k system and it's going crazy with overheating. He got an error saying overclock failed but he never touched anything. Besides that he's now getting 90 degree celcius warnings at idle. What could be up? I've never seen temperatures of 90 on idle, even when overclocked :/

I remember when I unpacked the 2500k the cooler did seem to have some light scratches, could this indicate a used processor resealed? When I first started the system it was already giving me 60 degrees on idle, but someone told me that's normal
Heatsink is probably not seated properly.

Celcius

°Temp. member
To whoever it was that received the doa mobo from amazon and got an overnight replacement: How did you get them to do it?

Great resource, this thread. I'm looking to spend 4-500 dollars on upgrading my PC. I'm considering upgrading to an Intel i5 2500k processor + mobo, but not sure if it's worth it. I looked over Hazaro's excel file for the exact parts.

Currently have an AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition (with a shitty mobo), 2 gigs of ram (too little), a Radeon HD 4770 (not good enough anymore), a 380 watt power brick and a shitty case and a shitty monitor.

With my 4-500 dollars, I definitely want to get a new video card, and more ram. My CPU is still usable, it seems to me. If I go for an i5, I'll need a new mobo, and that will make the whole thing more expensive. Choices, choices...

To whoever it was that received the doa mobo from amazon and got an overnight replacement: How did you get them to do it?

I can't speak for the person who had that happen, but it's happened to me in the past with items and if I file a claim saying it's not working, request a replacement, and if it's early enough I always get the new one the next day. I replaced a 570 earlier this year like that.

Well, I'll wait and see if anyone chimes in about anything reliable, not sure who locally other than Best Buy would do it, and anything they can do I could likely do on my own given Geek Squad's talents.
May also want to try booting into a Linux Live CD (ie Ubuntu) to see if it recognizes and is able to access the drive.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright, question from me as well in hope of PC GAF helping me out:

1. GTX 560 3GB. I cant find any info on that card anywhere, but a shop sells them in some systems I could buy. Would it even make a big difference for games if it had 2GB more than the standard version? And is it usual/possible for individual retailers to improve the RAM Capacity or get special versions of such cards? Seriously, no idea. And its weirding me out a bit that I cant find a reference point about a 3GB version anywhere.

2. This is the system configuration in question:
INTEL i7 2600 Quad Core 4x3400 Mhz | 8192 MB DDR3 PC-1333 RAM | NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560 3072 MB | 750 GB S-ATA II HDD | 24x ASUS Dual Layer DVD +/- R/RW DVD-Brenner - 19-in-1 CARDREADER | USB3 | ASUS P8H61-M LE | 350 Watt BeQuiet 80plus Super Silent Power Supply Unit | Gaming PRO-922B - Puritas
for 699€.

Does that sound like a good system? It's rather intended for my GF but I'll play games on it too that I cant play on my notebook so its supposed to have some power.

3. I have the option to get a S-ATA instead of IDE hdd for 10€ more. I suppose I should take that? It says that I also will have an improved "cache" from 2 to 8mb this way.

Jtrizzy

Memory can be pretty picky. Just keep trying different sticks in different slots and jamming the MEM_OK button or whatever you have. Sucks I know.
I think the MEM_OK button presses once, then you let the computer restart different RAM settings like 6 times? Hopefully it is explained in your manual.

I got stuck there on my build, hit MEM_OK, let it restart 5 times, then removed the 2nd stick. Booted right up. Maybe try it with 2 and remove 1. Mobo should say which slot is primary.
Gonna try this out tonight. So basically try every possible combination single or double with the ram? So basically ill restart the pc with the mem ok buttons 5 times with each combination. Should I be doing the jumper/unplug thing every time I restart?

The cpu light also flashes 4 times during each time I try the mem ok reset then the mem ok button returns to constantly lit. I'll be doing this for the next few hours. If it doesn't start working is it possible the dimm slots are bad? I guess the next step would be removing the battery?

parts are rolling in this week/next week.

intel i7 2600k
asus p6z68 v pro
intel SSD
WD HDD
GTX 570HD

can some one direct me to a guide on how to set up the bios for my configuration?

also two question,
i only have wireless mouse and keyboard. can i use them to work with the bios screen? or i need wired mouse and keyboard to do the input?
and
can i install windows 7 thru a USB drive initially?

thanks!!!

As far as "best monitors ever" go, the 30" version would be a better fit in most cases. Even then, they're obviously not meant for consumer use, and there's no point when you consider that you'll need to scale up to the native resolution when it comes to software that has a vastly lower max resolution limit.

Thanks feist for keeping those news things up.
Internet high-five?

Thank you Feist for the suggestion!! I really appreciate it, but my graphics card being 12.5 inches, it seems that the Antec P280 won't be an option for me since I want to be able to put a fan in the back of the HDD cage. I'll look at the other cases you suggested, but it seems like I'm leaning towards the Arc Midi once again. lol
The GTX 580 Matrix that was pictured is ~11.5". It fits with inches to spare. The Radeon 6990 is ~12.2". I had a photo of two 6990s inside the P280, being cooled by two HDD cages fans, also with room to spare. Can't lay my hands on that at the moment, but here's that 580 Matrix shot, again, for reference (notice the fan installed on the cage):
Quoted so you can click it for the 800px × 753px original.

edit: Not the shot I was referring to, but here's another 6990 instal in the P280: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEFRNO8qV_8#t=10m40s

parts are rolling in this week/next week.

intel i7 2600k
asus p6z68 v pro
intel SSD
WD HDD
GTX 570HD

can some one direct me to a guide on how to set up the bios for my configuration?

also two question,
i only have wireless mouse and keyboard. can i use them to work with the bios screen? or i need wired mouse and keyboard to do the input?
and
can i install windows 7 thru a USB drive initially?

thanks!!!

I setup a very similar system on Sunday. (Same motherboard, i2500k , 1SSD, 1HDD).

I attached my SSD to a 6 GBPS Intel port on the motherboard. (Grey coloured port).
I attached my HDD to a 6 GBPS Intel port on the motherboard. (Grey coloured port).
I attached my DVD drive to a 3 GBPS SATA port.

In the bios,

Disabled all legacy USB support (not needed if you are running Win 7).
Disabled the Marvell SATA ports (Dark Blue ports on the motherboard. I have nothing attached to them)
Disabled the JMicron controller (this controls the rear eSATA port that I am not using).
Made sure ram voltage is set correctly.
Disabled logo on boot.
Set pause time in POST to 1 sec.

Both my wireless k/b and mouse worked in the bios.
You should be able to install Win 7 from a USB (in my case, I just booted off my old install. Windows 7 deals with major hardware changes pretty well.)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I have a $200 card to blow at Compusa, would love suggestions on what component would be best to upgrade. My systems' pretty great right now, but it does get hitchy in games:

AMD Athlon II x3 3.0ghz
Radeon 5770 1gb
4gb DDR2
AM3 motherboard

Smokey

Some pics of stuff in new case:

DSC_1778.jpg

Dem lights:

DSC_1789.jpg

Front of 500r. Yes the fan lights can be toggled on/off from button in the front:

DSC_1784.jpg

Just hope everything works ok. On some boots it won't display a picture to my monitor, and I have to reboot to get it. Hopefully that goes away. Cabling is a mess right now, and I haven't hooked up the side panel with the 200mm fan. Wanted to make sure everything worked first.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Alright, question from me as well in hope of PC GAF helping me out:

1. GTX 560 3GB. I cant find any info on that card anywhere, but a shop sells them in some systems I could buy. Would it even make a big difference for games if it had 2GB more than the standard version? And is it usual/possible for individual retailers to improve the RAM Capacity or get special versions of such cards? Seriously, no idea. And its weirding me out a bit that I cant find a reference point about a 3GB version anywhere.

2. This is the system configuration in question:
for 699€.

Does that sound like a good system? It's rather intended for my GF but I'll play games on it too that I cant play on my notebook so its supposed to have some power.

3. I have the option to get a S-ATA instead of IDE hdd for 10€ more. I suppose I should take that? It says that I also will have an improved "cache" from 2 to 8mb this way.
1) No difference
2) Decent enough, comes with warranty and OS? No overclocking, cheaper motherboard, lower end PSU, lower end case (probably)
3) SATA.

I setup a very similar system on Sunday. (Same motherboard, i2500k , 1SSD, 1HDD).

I attached my SSD to a 6 GBPS Intel port on the motherboard. (Grey coloured port).
I attached my HDD to a 6 GBPS Intel port on the motherboard. (Grey coloured port).
I attached my DVD drive to a 3 GBPS SATA port.

In the bios,

Disabled all legacy USB support (not needed if you are running Win 7).
Disabled the Marvell SATA ports (Dark Blue ports on the motherboard. I have nothing attached to them)
Disabled the JMicron controller (this controls the rear eSATA port that I am not using).
Made sure ram voltage is set correctly.
Disabled logo on boot.
Set pause time in POST to 1 sec.

Both my wireless k/b and mouse worked in the bios.
You should be able to install Win 7 from a USB (in my case, I just booted off my old install. Windows 7 deals with major hardware changes pretty well.)

thanks, but i am like a super noob when it comes to bios.
can you provide step by step instructions?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
install ssd
install windows from a BOOTABLE USB
install hdd
go to disk management and format it and give it a drive letter

thanks, but i am like a super noob when it comes to bios.
can you provide step by step instructions?

This video shows you how to navigate to different sections of the BIOS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiOnq2jeB1U

In there, once you go to advanced UEFI BIOS (0:23 in the video.)

The onboard devices configuration option in the advanced tab has the settings for (1:50 in the video)
1) Disabled the Marvell SATA ports (Dark Blue ports on the motherboard. I have nothing attached to them)
2) Disabled the JMicron controller (this controls the rear eSATA port that I am not using).

The USB devices configuration has support for (1:45 in the video)
3) Disabled all legacy USB support (not needed if you are running Win 7)

The Boot tab (2:32 in the video) has settings for
4) Disabled Full screen logo.
5) Set POST Report to 1 sec. (Actually, change this setting only when you feel that your system is running as you want it to. This reduces the time you have available to hit del key to enter bios).

Jtrizzy

So after trying memory sticks in ever slot and using the mem ok button 5 times for each, still not posting. I also did the jumper thing, which I think is what got rid of the cpu led being constantly lit. Also have messed with the tpu and epu switches.

Should I try the batter? I bought a tool set so I can take the gpu out.

knitoe

So after trying memory sticks in ever slot and using the mem ok button 5 times for each, still not posting. I also did the jumper thing, which I think is what got rid of the cpu led being constantly lit. Also have messed with the tpu and epu switches.

Should I try the batter? I bought a tool set so I can take the gpu out.

If you tried clearing the CMOS, 1 stick of ram at a time in different slots and the computer still doesn't post, do you at least get fan movements? If not, take it out of the case and try with bare minimum, cpu, MB, 1 stick of ram and cpu fan. If still nothing, most likely, it's a bad MB. In a previous post, you said you may have remove a ram stick with the computer on. That would be a huge mistake.

Some pics of stuff in new case:

DSC_1778.jpg

Dem lights:

DSC_1789.jpg

Front of 500r. Yes the fan lights can be toggled on/off from button in the front:

DSC_1784.jpg

Just hope everything works ok. On some boots it won't display a picture to my monitor, and I have to reboot to get it. Hopefully that goes away. Cabling is a mess right now, and I haven't hooked up the side panel with the 200mm fan. Wanted to make sure everything worked first.

this is sexy smokey. well done.

now next issue at hand.
which do i go with gents?
smokey's silverstone FT02
or a fractal designs R3

note: i have the same non reference gtx 580.

someone decide for me. i cant choose dammit.

Just a head's up for anyone that wants some awesome case fans that push massive amounts of air (fan controller recommended): Newegg has Scythe 120mm Slipstream fans on sale for like $4.xx each. I just bought 5 for $24.xx shipped with UPS shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo
35-185-060-03.jpg

Use coupon code: EMCJHKD58

Must order 2 or more, limit 5.

Enjoy. Can't wait to replace the el cheapo Rosewill and Cooler Master 120mm's in my case, they can't even really take advantage of my fan controller...

Jtrizzy

If you tried clearing the CMOS, 1 stick of ram at a time in different slots and the computer still doesn't post, do you at least get fan movements? If not, take it out of the case and try with bare minimum, cpu, MB, 1 stick of ram and cpu fan. If still nothing, most likely, it's a bad MB. In a previous post, you said you may have remove a ram stick with the computer on. That would be a huge mistake.
Yeah I'm thinking I fried the motherboard. I don't think I took it out with the pc actually on, but psu was still on/connected. I am still getting power to the fans.

If I already cleared the cmos using the jumper, I guess there is no point in removing the battery?

Petrie

Banned
So I had to disassemble my rig to get my new CPU cooler on, and everything is back up and running, except the hard drive I use to store media isn't showing up. When I go into device manager, there are 2 disk drives listed (and I only have 2 HDs hooked up), but in the My Computer area, there simply isn't another drive any longer. Any ideas for what might have happened?

So when I run one of those disk recovery programs, the files are definitely all still there, or at least showing up. Will I need a different drive to transfer them to?

Kryptonic

I am thinking about upgrading my vid card. I rebuilt my computer earlier this year with an i7 2600k w/ 8GB ram. At the time I already had a GTX 460 and decided to get a second 460 to SLI instead of getting a new card. I recently started getting into photography and editing photos more so I doubled my ram to 16GB and I picked up a Dell 27" which runs at 2560x1440. I'm sad that I can't play skyrim basically maxed out anymore at this high res so thinking about upgrading to a 580.

Will I be fine with a 1.5GB card or should I go for a 3GB card now that I'm gaming at this high of a res. I heard rumors that AMD/ATI will be releasing a new series of cards soon? Should I go with a GTX580 or maybe go with a 6970 2GB?

If I do get a 580, would it be worth it to keep one of my 460's in my machine to use as a physx card maybe? I thought I read somewhere about drivers between 4xx and 5xx series fighting each other with this setup?

Think there will be any good deals coming up within the next couple weeks or should I just pick up whatever is the best price right now?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I am thinking about upgrading my vid card. I rebuilt my computer earlier this year with an i7 2600k w/ 8GB ram. At the time I already had a GTX 460 and decided to get a second 460 to SLI instead of getting a new card. I recently started getting into photography and editing photos more so I doubled my ram to 16GB and I picked up a Dell 27" which runs at 2560x1440. I'm sad that I can't play skyrim basically maxed out anymore at this high res so thinking about upgrading to a 580.

Will I be fine with a 1.5GB card or should I go for a 3GB card now that I'm gaming at this high of a res. I heard rumors that AMD/ATI will be releasing a new series of cards soon? Should I go with a GTX580 or maybe go with a 6970 2GB?

If I do get a 580, would it be worth it to keep one of my 460's in my machine to use as a physx card maybe? I thought I read somewhere about drivers between 4xx and 5xx series fighting each other with this setup?

Think there will be any good deals coming up within the next couple weeks or should I just pick up whatever is the best price right now?
Dislike physX. 3GB MSI Lightning gogo.

Jtrizzy

If I were you, I'd wait for the nvidia 6xx series to come out and keep that 460 for physx. But if you have to do it know, I'd get a 3gb MSI lightning 580. BF3 already uses all of the 1.5.

cdyhybrid

Can anyone recommend a good monitor? Gonna mainly be used for gaming and general use, the parts for my Standard build will all be here in another week or so. Was thinking around 24", 1080p. Hoping to keep it under $200 if possible.

Kryptonic

Bam, MSI N580GTX GeForce GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme Video Card - 3GB ordered and should be here on the 9th.

I also got my coworker to buy my 2 460's as well :)

If I were you, I'd wait for the nvidia 6xx series to come out and keep that 460 for physx. But if you have to do it know, I'd get a 3gb MSI lightning 580. BF3 already uses all of the 1.5.

It actually doesn't. BF3 'uses' all of that VRAM for caching, but it doesn't help performance at all. Textures on Ultra with 1 GB of VRAM look the same as 1.5 GB of VRAM, and perform the same. It's just some weird caching thing they do.

I'd skip the GTX 580 unless it drops in price, it's a rip-off for what you get and being so close to the 7970/7950 releases is going to make any buyer feel like they fucked up.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Whats a good price for a 212+? Curious since they're $20.63 on amazon right now and I'm thinking I should get one to OC my 2500k so I can increase my skyrim fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom