• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0n44m

However I've got a question regarding the RAM. Currently I've got the low profile version listed as people were concerned the standard version would interfere with the heatsink. However given the recommended builds here lists the standard ram with the same mobo and heatsink is it fair to assume they won't interfere with each other (same as with the Newegg build guide but that's the pro board). If that's the case would I be better going with the standard Vengeance RAM over the LP version?

there's really no difference between the standard and the LP RAM as far as I know. With the 212 it would probably fit the standard, but only in 3 of the 4 slots. So if the price difference isn't significant and you plan on using 4 sticks in the future you might as well go with the low profile version imho

Hey, y'all. I recently upgraded to a 1TB drive (finally!) and some new RAM. I'm looking for some advice on what graphics cards I could/should be looking at upgrading to, or if I should just hold off and build a new PC at some point soon. Mostly, I'm curious about how useful my CPU/mobo still is.

Your Current Specs: AMD Phenom II X4 965 / 8GB DDR3 1333 / GA-770TA-UD3/ Radeon HD 6850 (what I'm most interested in upgrading)
Budget: $200-250? Not entirely sure.
Main Use: Gaming (5), Photoshop (2D drawing and painting) (5)
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080. Nice newer monitor, not interested in changing. I also have a 1600x1200 Wacom Cintiq.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Battlefield 3 is where I'm interested in seeing the biggest performance increase. I currently run it on Medium at 40-50fps depending on the map.

So yeah. Thanks for any help, just wondering if it's worth buying some better graphics card or waiting to do a full new build.

Phenom II X4 965 should be enough for BF3 (and all other current generation games), especially if you overclock it a little ;) you'll won't be CPU limited unless you throw in some GTX680/HD7970

just look around for benchmarks a little and see if the price is worth it (can you sell the old card?) ... this is a nice site to easily compare cards

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/539?vs=549

(7850 seems around the $250 mark, ~30% BF3 increase? )

I'm starting to get display driver crashes more and more these days. I've had maybe half a dozen already while playing BioShock 2 (on the flipside, I had none at all while playing Mass Effect 3).

I'm running an HD6850 on Windows Vista 32bit. While playing games the GPU get's to around 77C which I understand is hot but not unsafe.

I've read at certain places it could be a lack of voltage, but I was assured my 580w (I think that's what it is) power supply would be enough for this GPU. Plus, I've had this GPU for over a year now and only started getting seldom display driver crashes last fall.

I'm updating my display drivers as I'm typing this.

with the lack of voltage don't they mean the GPU voltage? If you download software such as MSI afterburner, you can probably adjust the voltage control. Still lack of voltage would only pop up under high stress scenarios. You can download Unigine Heaven Benchmark 3.0 for example and let it run for an hour on max settings. If that doesn't crash, it's probably a software and not hardware related issue

I think i have gotten a crappy i5 2500k. Wont do anything over 4.4ghz with voltage below 1.4v :\. its really annoying cause my friend has a 2550k doing 4.8ghz on 1.35v.

Also my temps are pretty high :S. 70c with a h60. Think I should reseat the heatsink and redo the thermal paste? Keep in mind im using a sonata 3 case, which is bad for airflow :(

If you're close to 1.4v it's no surprise seeing temps like that with an H60. The case won't help, but 1155 CPUs don't generate that much heat so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Are you sure you have the correct bios settings? Most Asus boards for example offer quite a lot of voltage/phase control options that can make quite a difference.

sk3tch

Grats! Case isnt my cup of tea, but it certainy destroys any requirement thrown at it. For air, just put fans like you would in any case. There are some folks on OCN that swear by it as an air cooled case.

Thanks man, that's good to hear. After I bought it I was like..."oh shit...maybe this doesn't work that well as an air-cooled case!". Ha.

Anyway, having a hard time finding those case fans you recommended. I will be in the Bay Area this weekend so maybe there will be a local shop that can hook me up. Any tertiary recommendations there? I imagine I have some time for the build of my case...so I suppose I can put a few on order, too. Thanks for all of your help!

MrBig

I need some help finding a good keyboard.
Initially I was going for the Logitech Illuminated, but then with the above average key blocking on it I don't know if I should. On my current laptop's keyboard only the DFG keys are blocked, and I occasionally notice. Don't want to deal with even more of it.

So I'm looking for a (preferably) <$100 keyboard with low activation force and travel distance, and quiet if possible. I'll walk into Office Depot or CompUSA and check out any mechanicals they have, but from I've seen they've got a larger travel distance and activation force.

White backlighting preferred, don't care if its mechanical, dome, or scissor. Would rather not have to clean glossy surfaces.

Smokey

I get crappy temps for my 2600k. 4.6ghz @ 1.27v and my temps are usually in the 67-69 range when gaming...with a H100. Oh well..I've learned to just roll with it. As long as it's not 75+ creeping up to 80 I'm good.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
My brother is finally planning on returning to the world of PC Gaming which he hasn't been at in like 7 years.

His main goal is to play Skyrim fully maxed, with mod HD Textures, a good framerate, and no bottle necking.

He wanted a laptop at first, and since he wasn't going to take it anywhere I recommended a Sager. I then convinced him to get a desktop.

I'm guessing the Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) processor is the best bang for the buck right now? I haven't had to build a PC in awhile.

I still need to recommend a motherboard to get him, a graphic card (He wanted AMD and I have AMD but for Skyrim I'm just going to recommend Nvidia I think, memory, and I want him to get a SSD.

Anyone mind helping?

scogoth

Thanks man, that's good to hear. After I bought it I was like..."oh shit...maybe this doesn't work that well as an air-cooled case!". Ha.

Anyway, having a hard time finding those case fans you recommended. I will be in the Bay Area this weekend so maybe there will be a local shop that can hook me up. Any tertiary recommendations there? I imagine I have some time for the build of my case...so I suppose I can put a few on order, too. Thanks for all of your help!

Noctua all the way man, pricey but completely worth it. I'm a little mad a bitfenix right now because they said they would fix my broken case and now not only have they not sent the parts, they won't even reply to my emails. Their support started at A+ and have gone to below F.

Cptkrush

I think I'd like to hop off the AMD train and grab a new 680, I'm just tired of AMDs drivers tbh. How much do you guys think i'd be able to get for my pair of 6870s?

Also, is there a thread around here where i can offer to sell them to fellow gaffers? I'd rather help someone out than both of us taking chances on ebay (Never again...).

mkenyon

Banned

Performnce-PCs, frozencpu, and xoxide are your best bet. NCIX US carries the spectre pros as well.

Terproerg

my board is this one. Its got hardly any options for changing voltages and what not. it uses offsets which i have been messing around with.

Im running at 1.38v right now with my h60 in push-pull. I just dont think i should be hitting 70c at these speeds is all im thinking really. Any suggestions as to how to lower the volatge and keep it stable?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I'm planning on installing the Valve Complete Pack, and my main drive will be a Crucial M4 64GB SSD. Is there enough space to keep it on there permanently? I read that Steam Mover/Steam Tool don't work with Valve games. Also, how much setup is there with an SSD in comparison to a HDD? Am I going to need a lot more time to get it running correctly?

I've had these BSODs randomly since I built my PC back in August 2011.

See picture below:

ibcDFU7p2s9tol.JPG

I've tried memtest overnight and no errors came up. I've done checks on both my hard drives too. I've overclocked my i5 2500k to 4.3Ghz.

The BSODs seem to occur quite randomly, a lot of the time when my computer's not doing much.

Anyone have any ideas on how to isolate the problem?

sk3tch

I get crappy temps for my 2600k. 4.6ghz @ 1.27v and my temps are usually in the 67-69 range when gaming...with a H100. Oh well..I've learned to just roll with it. As long as it's not 75+ creeping up to 80 I'm good.

lol dude you have a GOLDEN 2600k. 67-69C under load is awesome. TjMax for Sandy Bridge is around 90C so you have plenty of headroom. The H100 is good but it's not a miracle worker. Crank that bad boy up higher! You can certainly get 5 GHz (and like 5 more inches of e-peen)! Don't be afraid of more voltage. Just monitor temps and you're golden. Back off when you're at 75C (or 80C or higher if you're nuts) under load.

See picture below:

I've tried memtest overnight and no errors came up. I've done checks on both my hard drives too. I've overclocked my i5 2500k to 4.3Ghz.

The BSODs seem to occur quite randomly, a lot of the time when my computer's not doing much.

You OC'd at all? If so, try upping the voltage and running IntelBurnTest in standard, then extreme in order to validate stability. If you don't want to be bothered - significantly downclock and then work your way up by testing with IntelBurnTest as mentioned. I.E. if you're at 4.5 GHz, go to 4.0 GHz and run IntelBurnTest standard - if it passes, run extreme - if it passed - you're good at 4.0 GHz, now try 4.1 GHz, etc.

Raide

(UK) Any suggestions for budget PC monitors? 22''+. Pref 1080p with HDMI if possible. So many different makes out there, it is hard for me to settle on one. I will be doing some gaming on it, so anything spec wise that makes gaming look better, that would be awesome.

I have not really kept up to date with Monitor tech, since I have been using my PC on a 32" 720p HDTV for a few years.

Thanks!

Acrylic7

Hey guys, don't know a thing about the tech side of computers. I want to run up to date games on my PC, but right now I cant even run ME1. It looks as if I loaded it in Power Point.

I basically use my PC for digital painting/editing. But I want it to plays games as well. Can anyone recommend me a decent Graphics card, and anything else that should be upgraded? would appreciate it.

my current PC specs-

-Dell Studio xps 435T/9000
-Processor- Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz have no idea what this means :/
-Memory- 6134MB
-ATI Radeon HD 4350

if this isn't the info needed then please tell me.

(UK) Any suggestions for budget PC monitors? 22''+. Pref 1080p with HDMI if possible. So many different makes out there, it is hard for me to settle on one. I will be doing some gaming on it, so anything spec wise that makes gaming look better, that would be awesome.

I have not really kept up to date with Monitor tech, since I have been using my PC on a 32" 720p HDTV for a few years.

Thanks!

This is the monitor I'm considering getting:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/monitors/1290475/aoc-i2352vh

It's a 23 inch screen, but it get's really good reviews, and it's IPS rather than TN. (Not sure quite what that means but apparently it's a good thing.)

It seems to be sold out or pricier than usual everywhere I look, unfortunately.

Hey guys, don't know a thing about the tech side of computers. I want to run up to date games on my PC, but right now I cant even run ME1. It looks as if I loaded it in Power Point.

I basically use my PC for digital painting/editing. But I want it to plays games as well. Can anyone recommend me a decent Graphics card, and anything else that should be upgraded? would appreciate it.

my current PC specs-

-Dell Studio xps 435T/9000
-Processor- Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz have no idea what this means :/
-Memory- 6134MB
-ATI Radeon HD 4350

if this isn't the info needed then please tell me.

You'd definately need a beefier GPU, but everything else is more than adequate, in my inexperienced opinion. What's your budget?

around $400, everything totaled up
I plan on buying things piece by piece. Something every paycheck. This way I don't go broke

You're CPU is good to go, and 6Gb is easily enough RAM. You're GPU is hugely underwhelming, but on you're budget you could get something pretty damn good, although with all the new Nvidia stuff coming soon, I don't know what I'd pick up.

Also, I'm not sure how easy it will be for you to open up your Dell and swap things around, I've never mucked around in the innards of a pre-built computer. I'd also look into how much HDD space you're going to need. I've filled up 600Gb of a Tb HDD, mostly with games (things like my music library and Uni-related stuff are on my laptop), and I kind of wish I'd picked up something bigger.

LordAlu

You're CPU is good to go, and 6Gb is easily enough RAM. You're GPU is hugely underwhelming, but on you're budget you could get something pretty damn good, although with all the new Nvidia stuff coming soon, I don't know what I'd pick up.

Also, I'm not sure how easy it will be for you to open up your Dell and swap things around, I've never mucked around in the innards of a pre-built computer. I'd also look into how much HDD space you're going to need. I've filled up 600Gb of a Tb HDD, mostly with games (things like my music library and Uni-related stuff are on my laptop), and I kind of wish I'd picked up something bigger.
PSU could potentially be an issue as well depending on the quality of it. But yeah, the i7 and 6GB RAM is plenty good, just need a decent GPU (and possibly PSU). You could probably pick up an ATI 7850/7870. Or you could save that month's money and have a load for the next month and pick up a GTX 680 and a nice PSU?

Coxy

so guys I'm thinking of getting a new card for PSO2
which would be better?
nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448
or
AMD Radeon HD 6870

I've compared them and the 6870 seems better in most ways except the shader clock which is considerably better on the 560, dunno how huge a difference that makes though. There's a pretty big price difference between them too, is the 6870 good enough? I'm currently running a HD 5450 1GB and it can run the game at lower settings ok, but I want the pretty shiny hair

PSU could potentially be an issue as well depending on the quality of it. But yeah, the i7 and 6GB RAM is plenty good, just need a decent GPU (and possibly PSU). You could probably pick up an ATI 7850/7870. Or you could save that month's money and have a load for the next month and pick up a GTX 680 and a nice PSU?

Totally forgot about the PSU.

which would be better?
or
AMD Radeon HD 6870

I've compared them and the 6870 seems better in most ways except the shader clock which is considerably better on the 560, dunno how huge a difference that makes though. There's a pretty big price difference between them too, is the 6870 good enough? I'm currently running a HD 5450 1GB and it can run the game at lower settings ok, but I want the pretty shiny hair

Uh, no. The 560 Ti 448 destroys the 6870... but is it worth the money? Probably not, if you're just gonna play PSO2.

LordAlu

thanks guys
also newb question. whats a psu?
(P)ower (S)upply (U)nit.

Basically your power plant - there are many different ones with different Wattage numbers and efficiency levels. It would be handy to know what model you have in your PC since then we could recommend a card easier. The problem is if it needs replacing to support a better card it would be a bit of a pain as you'd have to completely unplug every power lead inside the PC and then put a new one in and connect everything up.

which would be better?
or
AMD Radeon HD 6870

The 560 Ti 448 is MUCH faster than the 6870. 20% or so. I've compared both directly and its without a question faster. Whether its worth it is subjective but I believe so. I have the 560 Ti 448 and although I'll probably use EVGA's StepUp soon its a great card. A+ recommendation.

See picture below:

I've also had BSOD issues with my rig. Unlike yours, my machine will be stable for weeks-months and then go through periods of constant instability. Unfortunately never was able to isolate exactly what the culprit was.

Nevertheless, try running command prompt as administrator followed by this command "sfc /SCANNOW" It checks your windows files for corruption and tries to fix them.

no just leave the CPU installed, and use small amounts of alcohol to avoid splashing it all over the board ;)

I just got done installing my new cooler. It still seems like the usage percentage is fluctuating but I never really paid attention to it before all of this so I'm not sure.

It overheated while I was playing Crysis 2 last time so I'm trying that again. The highest it's gotten is about 55%. I have a 2500k (not overclocked) so I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

n0n44m

my board is this one. Its got hardly any options for changing voltages and what not. it uses offsets which i have been messing around with.

Im running at 1.38v right now with my h60 in push-pull. I just dont think i should be hitting 70c at these speeds is all im thinking really. Any suggestions as to how to lower the volatge and keep it stable?

temperature is mainly voltage dependent, speed is not a very big factor usually

and yeah the LX has less voltage options ... that might also be your limit.

Acrylic7

(P)ower (S)upply (U)nit.

Basically your power plant - there are many different ones with different Wattage numbers and efficiency levels. It would be handy to know what model you have in your PC since then we could recommend a card easier. The problem is if it needs replacing to support a better card it would be a bit of a pain as you'd have to completely unplug every power lead inside the PC and then put a new one in and connect everything up.

I read that you had to open it up. I did and I only saw this

CN-0F217J-73245-958-0525-A00
DP/N F217J

does that help?

Mystery

About 75% done assembling my new Danger Den Double Wide. I'm purposefully leaving off the front and solid sides so I can get the build together with more room.

NqxJp.png

K2bfs.png

Hawk269

About 75% done assembling my new Danger Den Double Wide. I'm purposefully leaving off the front and solid sides so I can get the build together with more room.

NqxJp.png

K2bfs.png

That is pretty cool looking. You going to use any lighted fans or anything for it? What kind of a rig on you putting in that case?

ss_lemonade

What's a good 120hz/3d compatible monitor that isn't hard on the wallet (24in is good enough for me)? I currently have a sammy px2370 and I think I can get a good chunk of cash to fund a new monitor if ever I decide to sell it.

Also how good or compatible is 3d with non nvidia hardware? I only know of nv 3d vision but I currently have a 6970

Mystery

That is pretty cool looking. You going to use any lighted fans or anything for it? What kind of a rig on you putting in that case?

Just moving my current build from my Corsair 800D into there, and upgrading GPUs. Silverstone 1500Watt PSU, EVGA Classified X58 3-Way SLI board, i7 980x, 12 GB Corsair Dominator 2000mhz DDR3, and just ordered 3 superclocked 680s + EVGA waterblocks... was trying to wait for the Hydro Copper cards themselves, cause they should overclock better due to 5-phase power, but they sell out in like 10 seconds whenever they're available.

scogoth

I just got done installing my new cooler. It still seems like the usage percentage is fluctuating but I never really paid attention to it before all of this so I'm not sure.

It overheated while I was playing Crysis 2 last time so I'm trying that again. The highest it's gotten is about 55%. I have a 2500k (not overclocked) so I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Usage has nothing to do with it. It could running at 100%. You want to look at temps though real temp, hwmonitor, etc

lol dude you have a GOLDEN 2600k. 67-69C under load is awesome. TjMax for Sandy Bridge is around 90C so you have plenty of headroom. The H100 is good but it's not a miracle worker. Crank that bad boy up higher! You can certainly get 5 GHz (and like 5 more inches of e-peen)! Don't be afraid of more voltage. Just monitor temps and you're golden. Back off when you're at 75C (or 80C or higher if you're nuts) under load.

You OC'd at all? If so, try upping the voltage and running IntelBurnTest in standard, then extreme in order to validate stability. If you don't want to be bothered - significantly downclock and then work your way up by testing with IntelBurnTest as mentioned. I.E. if you're at 4.5 GHz, go to 4.0 GHz and run IntelBurnTest standard - if it passes, run extreme - if it passed - you're good at 4.0 GHz, now try 4.1 GHz, etc.

I've also had BSOD issues with my rig. Unlike yours, my machine will be stable for weeks-months and then go through periods of constant instability. Unfortunately never was able to isolate exactly what the culprit was.

Nevertheless, try running command prompt as administrator followed by this command "sfc /SCANNOW" It checks your windows files for corruption and tries to fix them.

Tried both of these. Thanks for the suggestions guys but I've not managed to isolate the problem yet. More research tells me it may well be hard drive related. However, I've performed scans on both and nothing's come up.

scogoth

What's a good 120hz/3d compatible monitor that isn't hard on the wallet (24in is good enough for me)? I currently have a sammy px2370 and I think I can get a good chunk of cash to fund a new monitor if ever I decide to sell it.

Also how good or compatible is 3d with non nvidia hardware? I only know of nv 3d vision but I currently have a 6970

They are all hard on the wallet compared to regular monitors. Also compatibilty is not very good with AMD cards at all but you would still benefit from 120hz

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Helped some younger kid spec out his PC. Hope it works out for you!

Day 1 PAX stuff:

Visited a ton of hardware vendors at PAX and talked it up. Played Crysis 2 at 100FPS on tri SLI GTX680's from StealthMachines. Big respect for MSI actually sending a knowledgeable person out, I got cop out answers from most of the vendors. Corsair and eVGA also good. FSP was also nice to chat up with... partly since no one was at their booth. They had working Ivy Bridge mobile at the Intel setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom