• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moppet13

Building computer for my brother. Light gaming. Thinking A8-3870k, which has a 6550D built in. Anything Intel, I'd have to buy a graphics card.

Suggestions.
I wouldn't suggest any of the new AMD processors honestly, if you go with the i5-3570k it has a huge performance boost (graphic wise) compared to sandy bridge if you're going with integrated anyways.

element

I wouldn't suggest any of the new AMD processors honestly, if you go with the i5-3570k it has a huge performance boost (graphic wise) compared to sandy bridge if you're going with integrated anyways.
Hmmm. Twice as much and still slower in IGP. Not really what I was looking for. He is coming from a HP Slimline from about four years ago. When I say light gaming, he might fire up Command & Conquer 4 or Starcraft 2 at 720p. Maybe.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Building computer for my brother. Light gaming. Thinking A8-3870k, which has a 6550D built in. Anything Intel, I'd have to buy a graphics card.

Suggestions.

Maybe a combo of that APU and a 6670 will be a decent setup. The crossfire performance should be able to handle the light stuff.

Someone else here might have a better idea, but when I think of light gaming that comes to mind.

_woLf

Hey guys, I have a question. I've been getting some weird freezing from my new machine and I was told by a friend it could be my power supply causing it, so he told me to look up my voltages and he said the -12V reading looks unusual with too much fluctuation.

Here are my voltages:

9euUz.png

Does anyone know if they should be like this? I'm using a Corsair HX850 on a Gigabyte Z77 motherboard, i7 3770K. Power supplies/rail voltages etc is one of things I know least about when it comes to building PCs.

AndyH

Neo Member
Is there a way to disable a single display without disabling everything but the primary in W7/W8?
With my laptop I'm always physically switching between output to my secondary and my tv along with he laptop screen, but that part won't be an issue anymore. I'd like to not have my desktop extended when I'm not using the TV though

Try pressing the windows key and p. You should get a few options on displays with that.

LordAlu

Since it's pretty damn hard to find the P8Z77-LK in the UK, and I'd like to stick with Asus, I've gotta choose between the LX, LE or even stretch to the V. I'm planning on overclocking my 3570k to about 4.3GHz, no higher, and I only use a single slot graphics card (not a fan myself of SLI). Is there any reason I should go for one higher like the V or LE over the cheaper LX?

So this is the mobo I have. Has an integrated AMD 4250 or something like that. This is the PSU I have.

I had an EVGA GTX 570. Turned the PC off, plugged it in. Turned it on. Uninstalled all the Catalyst drivers and anything to do with AMD. Ok cool. Installed Nvidia drivers.

Loaded up some games on Steam like World in Conflict. Every time I played for about 45 minutes or so, it would restart itself. Every time. Noticed the video card was making strange rattling noises frequently, almost constantly. I recorded it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=531KrhC7QLg

The temps were sitting around 71 celsius when gaming. Not sure what the problem was.

Ended up getting an MSI GTX 570 (Frozr III). Put it in, everything is great. No rattling noises, and began playing The Witcher and ARMA II. Had The Witcher running for about an hour just to see if it restarts again. It didn't. Ok. Ran ARMA II for an hour, and yup, it restarted after about 30 minutes. Temps sit around 61 celsius when gaming.

Restarted ARMA II and played for an hour, nothing. Everything was fine. I'm so confused.

Everything AMD is uninstalled. Can't find anywhere to uninstall it in the BIOS.

So what do you guys think the diagnosis is?

Moppet13

That sounds like you have a cable hitting a fan. Other than that I have no idea what that noise could be, your hard drive perhaps? I have had a similar problem with my games closing randomly ever since I installed my 3570k.

That sounds like you have a cable hitting a fan. Other than that I have no idea what that noise could be, your hard drive perhaps? I have had a similar problem with my games closing randomly ever since I installed my 3570k.

I checked while it was on and nothing was hitting the fan.

Anyway, I'm not using that one anymore, I changed to the MSI 570. It's not the harddrive, because there's no noise after replacing the EVGA 570.

Karmum

Banned
I know this isn't exactly a PC hardware question but here I go

So I'm not going to install any other games on my SSD (about 27GB left) and I have 1TB of HDD I want to use, I decided to copy both the Steam application and steamapps and made a new folder on my HDD and started to install games that way. So far, so good. Is this actually going to work? I've seen people complain about this issue but all I did was copy those two things to one of my other drives and waited for it to update and log in and install games. They show up on that harddrive, 1000 Amps (one of my smallest games to install) loaded up without a problem.

I just want to play Civ V, damnit.

I suppose I can be a bit flexible on my budget, so that seems doable. Also, Nvidia is prefered for me, since I run Linux as my main OS. I have no idea what the current state of the AMD radeon drivers are for Linux... from what I hear both the open source drivers and the proprietary ones are making some improvements, but still don't compare to the Nvidia drivers.
Expand your budget just a bit more, imo:

Looking to unload a less than month old GTX 570 2.56GB for $250 shipped to US.
I'd honestly jump on this if I could find somebody to buy both of my GTX 460s.

Garou

I know this isn't exactly a PC hardware question but here I go

So I'm not going to install any other games on my SSD (about 27GB left) and I have 1TB of HDD I want to use, I decided to copy both the Steam application and steamapps and made a new folder on my HDD and started to install games that way. So far, so good. Is this actually going to work? I've seen people complain about this issue but all I did was copy those two things to one of my other drives and waited for it to update and log in and install games. They show up on that harddrive, 1000 Amps (one of my smallest games to install) loaded up without a problem.

I just want to play Civ V, damnit.

That should work, but why not just install on the SSD and then move the games with SteamMover? That way you can freely decide when you want something on the SSD and when not, plus that way should be absolutely fail safe.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Get two hdds instead of one (2 1TB's) avoid a failure with one, make them non ecogreen ones, add low profile corsair ram for about the same price, and up the PSU to 600-50W (not that big of a deal)

Ledsen

So this is the mobo I have. Has an integrated AMD 4250 or something like that. This is the PSU I have.

I had an EVGA GTX 570. Turned the PC off, plugged it in. Turned it on. Uninstalled all the Catalyst drivers and anything to do with AMD. Ok cool. Installed Nvidia drivers.

Loaded up some games on Steam like World in Conflict. Every time I played for about 45 minutes or so, it would restart itself. Every time. Noticed the video card was making strange rattling noises frequently, almost constantly. I recorded it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=531KrhC7QLg

The temps were sitting around 71 celsius when gaming. Not sure what the problem was.

Ended up getting an MSI GTX 570 (Frozr III). Put it in, everything is great. No rattling noises, and began playing The Witcher and ARMA II. Had The Witcher running for about an hour just to see if it restarts again. It didn't. Ok. Ran ARMA II for an hour, and yup, it restarted after about 30 minutes. Temps sit around 61 celsius when gaming.

Restarted ARMA II and played for an hour, nothing. Everything was fine. I'm so confused.

Everything AMD is uninstalled. Can't find anywhere to uninstall it in the BIOS.

So what do you guys think the diagnosis is?

LOL this is a funny coincidence... check out my recent thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473887

I just RMA:d my card. Didn't see anything hitting the fans either but it can't really be anything else I think.

clav

Hey guys, I have a question. I've been getting some weird freezing from my new machine and I was told by a friend it could be my power supply causing it, so he told me to look up my voltages and he said the -12V reading looks unusual with too much fluctuation.

Here are my voltages:

http://i.imgur.com/9euUz.png

Does anyone know if they should be like this? I'm using a Corsair HX850 on a Gigabyte Z77 motherboard, i7 3770K. Power supplies/rail voltages etc is one of things I know least about when it comes to building PCs.

Software sensors are rarely reliable. To really test your voltages, you'll need to use a multimeter and measure them yourself.

All your voltages are wrong in that picture.

What else do you have in the machine aside from what you listed? It could be a bad motherboard.

Hey, SSD guys. I'm trying to find hard data reports on samsung SSD reliability. Did some google-fu, but everything I find seems to be anecdotal. Anyone have a link on hand or know where I could gather it?

SSD reliability has always been based on anecdotes and reviews.

If you want solid evidence, I suppose the fact that Apple chose Samsung to make embedded SSDs on MacBook Airs shows some sort of trust and validity.

Ace 8095

I'm still not sure if I should buy the 2500k for the 3570k. I'm not concerned about the price difference I just want the better cpu.

abunai

I'm still not sure if I should buy the 2500k for the 3570k. I'm not concerned about the price difference I just want the better cpu.

You can probably find the 2500k for a little bit cheaper than the 3570k at major retailers etc, and the differences are not that huge between the two chips. There's not any noticeable real-world difference, anyway.

2500k overclocks better on air, can reach 4.5+Ghz with ease at decent temperatures. For the 3570k, anything over ~4.4GHz will cause temperatures to soar. The power benefits of the 3570k are in the 2-10% region, clock for clock. Nothing noticable.

I'm going for a 3570k myself, because a dealer near me has them for cheaper than the 2500k's and I don't plan on overclocking much more than 4.4-4.5Ghz anyway. If they were the same price though, i'd get a 2500k most likely.

K' Dash

I just want to say thanks to MKenyon for all the help yesterday, I was very frustated cause Newegg wouldn't accept my card and couldn't buy the parts there, so he helped me build a new rig on Amazon wich started to ship yesterday.

Thank you very much man.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd honestly jump on this if I could find somebody to buy both of my GTX 460s.
2x460>570.

I just want to say thanks to MKenyon for all the help yesterday, I was very frustated cause Newegg wouldn't accept my card and couldn't buy the parts there, so he helped me build a new rig on Amazon wich started to ship yesterday.

Thank you very much man.
NP, thats what we are here for.
Looking to unload a less than month old GTX 570 2.56GB for $250 shipped to US.
As a guy who bought his 6950, I can vouch that when Haz touches a card, it's OC headroom is increased significantly. Someone buy this.

JonCha

Got some questions:

1. About to buy the WD5000AAKX, but the ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB I ordered says only 3Gb/s is supported (look under Graphics)? Eh?

2. What's the difference between the Sapphire HD 6850 1GB and the XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB? I was going to go with the Sapphire to work with the motherboard.

3. Finally, what's the opinion on the 550Ti? It's going mega cheap, and I heard performance gains are massive compared to the 6850.

mkenyon

Banned
Got some questions:

1. About the buy the WD5000AAKX, but the ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB I ordered says only 3Gb/s is supported (look under Graphics)? Eh?

2. What's the difference between the Sapphire HD 6850 1GB and the XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB? I was going to go with the Sapphire to work with the motherboard.

3. Finally, what's the opinion on the 550Ti? It's going mega cheap, and I heard performance gains are massive compared to the 6850.
1. It's all backwards and forwards compatible. *edit* Also, if you can afford it, I'd really suggest either a Caviar Black or a Spinpoint F3. Cav Blues can be pretty dicey. I've had all 9 I've purchased for my office fail on me. Similar reports elsewhere.

2. Not much, maybe the heatsink design?

3. Sucks. You're probably confusing it with the 560Ti.

Karmum

Banned
Very true, but would give me more room if I ever wanted to upgrade.

That should work, but why not just install on the SSD and then move the games with SteamMover? That way you can freely decide when you want something on the SSD and when not, plus that way should be absolutely fail safe.
Because I never heard of that program until you just mentioned it.

Karmum

Banned
OP sucka. First bolded one under "utilities".
Haven't read the OP since I had my computer built. Shame on me. But yeah I know 2 460s are better than one 570, but maybe a year down the road (or even six months) I may want to upgrade and if I hypothetically sold both my 460s around the price he's selling his 570, I'm really only down like $300 or so in a year, assuming they stay at that price.

Edit - Well, the 2011 edition anyway.

Nobility

Banned
Thoughts PC-GAF?

Been stuck with the same computer for over 6 years and want to make some big upgrades.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($188.84 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Canada Computers)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.79 @ DirectCanada)
Hard Drive: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($171.49 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($171.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: LG WH12LS39 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1539.86

What I need help with is the CPU cooler. I was thinking H100 but I'm still new to the overclocking idea and don't know how much I will fiddle with it. Also I am hearing that H100 and the 550D has problems with a push/pull configuration, anyone here have experience with this case?

If I decide to go the air route, I could take a Noctua NH-D14. Good reviews and I hear nothing but good things when it comes to cooling and silence.

Shambles

Anyone have a CM 690 II Advanced? Notably the Black USB3 version. I love the case but do have an issue with the HDD trays. I have three seagate drives that all ended up being difficult to fit into the bay after being put into the HDD tray. You bend the tray to fit the HDD in and the pegs go into the holes of the HDD. They seem to go in alright until you try to slide the tray into the HDD bay and it's too wide to fit. I ended up having to squish the crap out of the rubber grommets around the pegs in order to push them in far enough for the tray to fit into the bay. Even still I ended up having to force it instead of it just naturally sliding in. Has anyone else experienced this?

Monarch

Banned
Guys guys, guys I may need your help. I'm rocking a i5 2500K@4.6Ghz and an OClocked to death 570GTX.
I know it's not a hardware related question, and i excuse for that. I'm currently playing Crysis 2 DX11/hi-rez and Maldo textures/Blackfire 2/Quality mod. I'm sitting at a smooth/stable 60FPS and that's great, but it means I've got some headroom.
So here we are, I want to use SMAA injector to clean up those bad jaggies, but I just don't understand how to get it working in Crysis 2 or any other games. Do you have some step by step advices or even a good link ? I've downloaded everything available on SMAA's site.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have a CM 690 II Advanced? Notably the Black USB3 version. I love the case but do have an issue with the HDD trays. I have three seagate drives that all ended up being difficult to fit into the bay after being put into the HDD tray. You bend the tray to fit the HDD in and the pegs go into the holes of the HDD. They seem to go in alright until you try to slide the tray into the HDD bay and it's too wide to fit. I ended up having to squish the crap out of the rubber grommets around the pegs in order to push them in far enough for the tray to fit into the bay. Even still I ended up having to force it instead of it just naturally sliding in. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yeah, I have had an original 690 and a 690II Advanced, done a few builds for others in it as well. Sounds like the pegs aren't seated properly. I'm never a fan of "use force over finesse" when it comes to computer parts, but this might be one of those situations.
Thoughts PC-GAF?
Don't like Cav Blues, bad track record.

If you want the 550D for silence, you should really buy some better fans than the ones that come with the case. Noctua NF-F12, Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP14, Bitfenix Spectre Pro, Noiseblockers all good choices. If you really want it just for the silence, the Fractal R3 is a much better buy. If you want it for aesthetics and silence, the R3 is *still* the better buy. It's subjective though.

_woLf

Software sensors are rarely reliable. To really test your voltages, you'll need to use a multimeter and measure them yourself.

All your voltages are wrong in that picture.

What else do you have in the machine aside from what you listed? It could be a bad motherboard.

16GB (8GB x 2) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
1TB Seagate SATA 3 HDD
1TB WD SATA 2 HDD
Asus DVD-RW drive
2x GTX 260s in SLI

for reference here is the other stuff again:

i7 3770K CPU (nothing is overclocked)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard
Corsair HX850 PSU
That's about it. All of the voltages are wrong? :(

MrBig

Thoughts PC-GAF?

Been stuck with the same computer for over 6 years and want to make some big upgrades.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($188.84 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Canada Computers)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.79 @ DirectCanada)
Hard Drive: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($171.49 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($171.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: LG WH12LS39 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1539.86

What I need help with is the CPU cooler. I was thinking H100 but I'm still new to the overclocking idea and don't know how much I will fiddle with it. Also I am hearing that H100 and the 550D has problems with a push/pull configuration, anyone here have experience with this case?

If I decide to go the air route, I could take a Noctua NH-D14. Good reviews and I hear nothing but good things when it comes to cooling and silence.
Drop the PSU down to something like this

hitsugi

Okay, I need some help.. My fiancee has expressed interest in playing Diablo 3 with me, but there is no way it's running on her MacBook from 2007. I have a budget of around $500, want to obtain the parts within a week or so and surprise her with a rig that can comfortably (not running everything at low settings) handle the game at 1680x1050.

She has the monitor, keyboard, mouse and OS.. But the rest (including a case) is from scratch. Any suggestive builds would be helpful and if I could go under $500, I'd like to.. But i don't think it's very likely lol.

froliq

Okay, I need some help.. My fiancee has expressed interest in playing Diablo 3 with me, but there is no way it's running on her MacBook from 2007. I have a budget of around $500, want to obtain the parts within a week or so and surprise her with a rig that can comfortably (not running everything at low settings) handle the game at 1680x1050.

She has the monitor, keyboard, mouse and OS.. But the rest (including a case) is from scratch. Any suggestive builds would be helpful and if I could go under $500, I'd like to.. But i don't think it's very likely lol.

Check Hazaro's builds in the OP. You can try a mix of the Budget ($420) and Standard ($540) builds. Diablo will run on those.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd give it a shot on running it on the MacBook Pro. I had the first CoreDuo one, and I'm fairly certain that could even run DIII.

Pocks

Now that Seagate is running Samsung's former hard drive division.. are they still what they used to be? Are they still manufactured in the same facilities, or are they now made in Seagate's facilities?

I know they're still listed in Haz's builds.. but I'm curious.

mkenyon

Banned
Don't know when we'll stop seeing the Spinpoints, but I'd imagine when stock is out and they integrate fully, we won't see the name anymore.

As of right now, it's all the same stuff it once was.

Manp

so it's finally time for an upgrade.

going from:
C2Q 9650
Asus P5E
8 GB DDR2 800
Radeon HD 6970
Crucial M4 128 GB
Corsair HX750 psu

to:
i7 3770K
AsRock Z77 Extreme6
16 GB DDR3 Corsair LP 1,35V
Radeon HD 6970
Crucial M4 128 GB
Corsair HX750 psu

seems like a nice step up. also getting a new case, Corsair 600T White Edition.
now i just have to wait for all the new stuff to be delivered.

:)

Isocr4cy

Built my new PC, here's the specs:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
CPU: i7 3770K
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670 Factory OC
RAM: 16 GB
PSU: Corsair AX850
SSD's: 128GB (Windows) / 256GB (Games)
HDD: 2TB

Just ran Metro 2033 on DX11, very high graphics with 16xAF & advanced PhysX. I was playing the beginning of the game so I'm not sure how much PhysX-ish stuff was running (new to Nvidia!). Was averaging about 30-45 FPS. with 45 being pretty rare. Kind of disappointing thus far, guess I'll try BF3 next.

Follow up now that I've fixed my driver problems... Battlefield 3 on max settings is sitting between 50-60fps. Still really disappointing considering what others are getting on similar systems.

K' Dash

so it's finally time for an upgrade.

going from:
C2Q 9650
Asus P5E
8 GB DDR2 800
Radeon HD 6970
Crucial M4 128 GB
Corsair HX750 psu

to:
i7 3770K
AsRock Z77 Extreme6
16 GB DDR3 Corsair LP 1,35V
Radeon HD 6970
Crucial M4 128 GB
Corsair HX750 psu

seems like a nice step up. also getting a new case, Corsair 600T White Edition.
now i just have to wait for all the new stuff to be delivered.

:)

Question: Do you want that rig for gaming?

Just curious.

MrBig

Follow up now that I've fixed my driver problems... Battlefield 3 on max settings is sitting between 50-60fps. Still really disappointing considering what others are getting on similar systems.

At 1920x1080 or 2560x1440/1600? 50-60 is normal at 2560 according to BF3 benchmarks at max for the 670.

VariantX

Just built my very first PC thanks to this thread and all the information that was compiled by the OP and others who helped out. The specs are basically based around the enhanced build. I struggled for about 4 hours or so trying to figure out the cables but seeing that bios screen felt so good for the soul after I successfully troubleshooted my way through the rough spots.

CPU: Intel i5 2500k
Motherboard: Biostar TZ77B
Ram: Corsair Vengance 2 x 4 GB (8GB)
Video: Asus Radeon HD 6870 Direct CU
Power Supply: Antec VP450
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB HDD
Case: Bitfenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case Black
Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST

I haven't even played any games yet with it but just doing simple stuff is so much less of a grind now than with my old laptop. Big thanks to this thread and the people who put it together, would still be doing research right now if you guys hadn't put it all in one place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom