• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace 8095

Here is my build excluding the Asus GTX 670. Anything I should change?

sBtZs.png

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Ok guys. My current rig is pretty much breathing its dying breath. Here is what i was going to go with.

i7 3770k Ivy
Gigabyte Radeon Hd 7970
Corsair Vengance 4x4 ddr3 1600
Corsair pro AX850
Xonar DGX
Samsung 1tb 7200rpm

I have some minor concerns about cooling. I have never dabbled in water cooling, not do i really want to, so in that respect how important is using an after market heat sinks/fans for the cpu?

If you plan on overclocking, do your cpu a favor and buy yourself an aftermarket heat sink. You don't need to go water cooling. Air cooling with something like the Hyper 212 EVO will get you to 4.5 easily and it won't break the bank.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
If you plan on overclocking, do your cpu a favor and buy yourself an aftermarket heat sink. You don't need to go water cooling. Air cooling with something like the Hyper 212 EVO will get you to 4.5 easily and it won't break the bank.

Yeah makes sense. I just have minor concerns about any potential obstructions. Im gonna go with a full tower that shouldnt be much of an issue (i hope anyway)

K' Dash

I have a few questions:

Core i5 2500K
Asus P8Z77 V LK
Low Profile Corsair RAM 8GB
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Antec BP550
Sapphire Radeon 7850
HAF 912

-Concerning the case, do I have enough space there for a future crossfire?
-If yes, will I need a better PSU
-Can I overclock the 7850?, I just found out I could've bought the Factory OC :/
-I forgot I that I need a wireless card, what would you recomend?, you know, cheap and good quality

Sorry if any of the questions sound dumb, I'm new at this :p

I recently put my new pc together so I thought I would share. Big thanks to mkenyon who helped me along the way. I had a general idea of where I wanted to go but he made sure everything worked together. I'm glad someone else beat me to buying your pc or else I would've missed out on the fun of building one. Had to use flash on my phone's camera because I have terrible lighting in my studio.

Is your case suspended in the air, why do you have a fan at the bottom of the case ?

see5harp

Building a new PC and I noticed that the motherboard I'm getting doesn't even have a digital out for audio, but it does have HDMI out for the integrated video. I definitely plan on hooking up to my receiver but I'm now confused how everything will work with my dedicated graphics card. If I'm using onboard audio and need the audio to pass through to the HDMI out on the graphics card, is that possible? Is it a BIOS setting or something I need to enable in the graphics card or integrated audio driver within windows?

How can a wireless network card cause graphic card problems? My brother was getting BSOD errors when playing BF3. Took out network card, no more BSOD. My brother suggested I take mine out cause I was having video (flash) problems.

So far so good. -____-

th3dude

The Spectre's don't move a lot of air, but are silent. You'll want at least one Pro for your H60 since it has a really high pressure rating (which is much more important than CFM on a radiator). They're expensive, but the Pro's are a much better choice for the rest of the case as well. The regular spectre's will be fine if you don't really want to go to that price level. They're a bit cheaper through performance-pc's and frozen cpu, but the shipping can be painful if you aren't on the east coast.

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=66092&vpn=BFF-SPRO-12025KK-RP&manufacture=BitFenix

If your videocards are non-reference type, as in, they just have fans that push air over a heatpipe heatsink rather than pull from the front and exhaust out the back, then you could set your H60 for intake on the rear.

Ah, I didn't even notice there were different series. Definitely will get the Pro. I'm on the East coast so I'm open to the cheapest option.

Maybe 2 Pro 200s for the top and front intake, and 3 120 Pros for the side and H60.

My 570s are standard (reference?) EVGA. No fancy coolers.

Also, should the H60 fan be intake or exhaust? That always confused me.

Very open to hear your continued thoughts. Thanks again :)

mkenyon

Banned
Ah, I didn't even notice there were different series. Definitely will get the Pro. I'm on the East coast so I'm open to the cheapest option.

Maybe 2 Pro 200s for the top and front intake, and 3 120 Pros for the side and H60.

My 570s are standard (reference?) EVGA. No fancy coolers.

Also, should the H60 fan be intake or exhaust? That always confused me.

Very open to hear your continued thoughts. Thanks again :)
NP!

You will want the H60 as exhaust. The hot air ejected from your 570s will rise right where it would intake from, so I will bet a lot of money the air inside your case is cooler than that.
Building a new PC and I noticed that the motherboard I'm getting doesn't even have a digital out for audio, but it does have HDMI out for the integrated video. I definitely plan on hooking up to my receiver but I'm now confused how everything will work with my dedicated graphics card. If I'm using onboard audio and need the audio to pass through to the HDMI out on the graphics card, is that possible? Is it a BIOS setting or something I need to enable in the graphics card or integrated audio driver within windows?
It'll work fine. You'll just need to select your audio out as the graphics card (in Windows), and make sure that portion of the driver is checked when you install your graphics driver.

This last week has the been the worst for me as far as computing goes, my journey.

1. Blue screen of dead while playing Portal 2 map editor, upon trying to restart the computer I start getting BSOD right after the Windows Loading animation.

2. Tried different PSU, RAM and video card from another computer, cant even install windows, same symptoms so I cut the suspects to either my SSD (OCz Vertex 3), my CPU (2600k) or motherboard (p8p67 pro)

3. I decided to trust my gut and buy a new CPU (3570k), but to be able to use it in the p8p67 pro I need to update the firmware.

4. After flashing a new BIOS on the Motherboard, it completely dies, wont POST at all anymore, so I return the 3570k which I havent opened yet and just get a new mobo thinking that it must have been the mobo all along (MSI Z77A-GD55)

5. Build the new system, with a new Mobo and same 2600k CPU, computer wont POST, so I finally realized that it was the CPU all along, so I go buy the 3570k again.

6. Finally everything is working until... I realize the ethernet port of the new mobo is not working, Windows cant enable it for some reason and I find online that some people are having the same issue with these MSI boards and I need to return it to get an exchange.

Cant remember the last time I had this much bad luck with a system.

Im RMAing both the P8P67 and the 2600k and selling the replacements.

It was all my fault for thinking my 5GHz OC on Air was stable on the 2600k :(

1-D_FTW

Here is my build excluding the Asus GTX 670. Anything I should change?

sBtZs.png

I hate to join the chorus, but those 120hz monitors really are the shit.

Amazon has the VG236H for 305.99 (plus it seems you can do a 30 dollar rebate through Asus). I like the VW246 (owned one). But for 75 dollars more, the VG236H is so worth the money.

It's a shame you didn't catch my post a couple days ago, because the Samsung 1TB F3 was selling for 79.99 at Newegg. That would have saved you a free 30 dollars.

see5harp

It'll work fine. You'll just need to select your audio out as the graphics card (in Windows), and make sure that portion of the driver is checked when you install your graphics driver.

Thanks for the response. Another quick one. Will the video card pass through the audio untouched. I prefer all audio to be bitstreamed so that I can control the audio with my receiver. For stereo games I want straight up 2.1 or pro logic but for blu-rays I want the uncompressed tracks to be recognized as Dolby HD or DTS-HD. This isn't a problem with the pass through either I suspect?

Ace 8095

I hate to join the chorus, but those 120hz monitors really are the shit.

Amazon has the VG236H for 305.99 (plus it seems you can do a 30 dollar rebate through Asus). I like the VW246 (owned one). But for 75 dollars more, the VG236H is so worth the money.

It's a shame you didn't catch my post a couple days ago, because the Samsung 1TB F3 was selling for 79.99 at Newegg. That would have saved you a free 30 dollars.
Shame I missed the F3 deal. I was considering a 120hz monitor but I doubt I will be able to see the difference. I only barely notice the change from 30fps to 60fps so I'd rather save the money for a second monitor later on perhaps.

th3dude

NP!

You will want the H60 as exhaust. The hot air ejected from your 570s will rise right where it would intake from, so I will bet a lot of money the air inside your case is cooler than that.

Oh SNAP. I didn't even think about this. The 570s are pumping out mad heat, then the H60 is sucking it right back into the case.

Which config would I want the H60 then?

<-Fan|Rad

or

<-Rad|Fan

So about the Asus P8Z77-V and fans. My case has 4 fans and the mobo only has 3 case fan headers, so I figured I would plug 1 fan (top exhaust) into the CPU_OPT header, and assumed I would still be able to control it that way. Nope. The CPU fan headers are hardwired to only be controlled via PWM and they cannot be controlled separately. So is there any problem with having a 3-pin fan plugged into the CPU header like that, if it's not a PWM fan, not the same kind of fan, and on the same circuit as the PWM CPU fan?

Thinking I maybe should have gotten the Pro version which has 4 case fan connectors.

number386

HEADS UP: From the reviews the samsung f3/f4 are rebranded seagate barracuda's. I passed on them, no way I'm overpaying for a seagate.

What do I do if I want to make more fans in my computer than my mobo has available fans for?

I have heard that you can buy some splitters so you can run 2 fans from fan plug on the mobo. but will that work?

could you in theory connect 10 fans to run from one fan outlet or will there be power issues?

TheExodu5

Banned
What do I do if I want to make more fans in my computer than my mobo has available fans for?

I have heard that you can buy some splitters so you can run 2 fans from fan plug on the mobo. but will that work?

could you in theory connect 10 fans to run from one fan outlet or will there be power issues?

Just run them off the PSU directly using a molex -> 3 pin fan adapter.

Or you could get a fan controller if you'd like to control the speed.

MooMoo

I have a question about cabling/wiring. So I noticed that the SSD I ordered is a single unit, so no SATA cable? I also noticed that the HDD I got came with no cables. So where exactly are these cables to connect these two components coming from? I haven't exactly received/opened all my boxes yet, so sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

ProXimity

Banned
I know I said I wanted under a $1500 build, so if you could check out this build and see if there's anything in there I could switch out for cheaper products (excluding cpu) and not lose much performance, well, I'd appreciate it. Again, I'll be using this computer for high-end gaming and high definition (potentially 4K at some point) video editing through programs like Adobe Premiere and After Effects.

I do want a pretty badass rig and the way I see it, it's cheaper than a Mac (I need a Mac for software reasons - don't ask) and I can virtually do the same shit + gaming (huge bonus). If I have to pay $1800, I might.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($60.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($278.94 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Gamer 2, Division 4 Edition 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($226.48 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($117.09 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($85.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1841.70
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-16 15:08 EDT-0400)

Ledsen

I have a question about cabling/wiring. So I noticed that the SSD I ordered is a single unit, so no SATA cable? I also noticed that the HDD I got came with no cables. So where exactly are these cables to connect these two components coming from? I haven't exactly received/opened all my boxes yet, so sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

sata cables come with your mobo.

Chris R

Your motherboard should come with at least some SATA cables. I'd check on the box to be sure though.

Sethos

Banned
I'm really starting to pull out all the handy man stops to get my new build quiet. The extremely subtle HDD vibration was doing my head in so I broke out the sewing elastic bands and made myself a little HDD cradle - It's quiet as the grave now.

Such a hack job :p

mkenyon

Banned
This last week has the been the worst for me as far as computing goes, my journey.
You have hit the product failing lottery. Good lord.
Thanks for the response. Another quick one. Will the video card pass through the audio untouched. I prefer all audio to be bitstreamed so that I can control the audio with my receiver. For stereo games I want straight up 2.1 or pro logic but for blu-rays I want the uncompressed tracks to be recognized as Dolby HD or DTS-HD. This isn't a problem with the pass through either I suspect?
Depends on the specific card (and you'll just want to do a quick google search), but afaik, all cards since the AMD 5xxx series all pass through undecoded audio. I dont think the same is true for NVIDIA.

Oh SNAP. I didn't even think about this. The 570s are pumping out mad heat, then the H60 is sucking it right back into the case.

Which config would I want the H60 then?

<-Fan|Rad

or

<-Rad|Fan
Fan|Rad|Fan or Rad|Shroud|Fan or Rad|Fan, in terms of total performance from highest to lowest.
I know I said I wanted under a $1500 build, so if you could check out this build and see if there's anything in there I could switch out for cheaper products (excluding cpu) and not lose much performance, well, I'd appreciate it. Again, I'll be using this computer for high-end gaming and high definition (potentially 4K at some point) video editing through programs like Adobe Premiere and After Effects.

I do want a pretty badass rig and the way I see it, it's cheaper than a Mac (I need a Mac for software reasons - don't ask) and I can virtually do the same shit + gaming (huge bonus). If I have to pay $1800, I might.
Switch RAM out for this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147095

It's not cheapo, it's literally the finest RAM you can buy on the market right now. Better than $200+ kits.

HEADS UP: From the reviews the samsung f3/f4 are rebranded seagate barracuda's. I passed on them, no way I'm overpaying for a seagate.
Darthvadernooooo.jpeg
60. Seems to be locked out, even if you choose no max.
Vsync on?

Plug them into molex connectors, which all fans generally come with.

ProXimity

Banned
Switch RAM out for this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147095

It's not cheapo, it's literally the finest RAM you can buy on the market right now. Better than $200+ kits.

What's the performance difference between that and the memory I posted in layman's terms? I don't quite understand it, but that's such a sharp price differential that I'm a little suspicious. I want my system to be future-proofed for the demands of my use (gaming and high definition linear video editing/post-production).

Edgeward

How easy/difficult is it to take apart a computer and put it all in a new casing? I recently put in a new amd 6850 replacing my tiny 5670. But now, the wires seem more cluttered now and it runs a bit hotter than before. And really hot when playing Witcher 2 now, regardless of settings. I have a Dell computer btw if that helps so I'm not that well versed in this.

I will say that putting in a new PSU and GPU was a pretty neat first time experience.

Sorry if I missed someone answering my Q but I didnt find one so im reposting for new page.

MrBig

Ugh.
I guess I might as well just go with a 128gb SSD for now and then wait a few months to buy a Caviar Black. I have a few other drives but I'm not going to be using them as a main drive, they're all over 3 years old.

So about the Asus P8Z77-V and fans. My case has 4 fans and the mobo only has 3 case fan headers, so I figured I would plug 1 fan (top exhaust) into the CPU_OPT header, and assumed I would still be able to control it that way. Nope. The CPU fan headers are hardwired to only be controlled via PWM and they cannot be controlled separately. So is there any problem with having a 3-pin fan plugged into the CPU header like that, if it's not a PWM fan, not the same kind of fan, and on the same circuit as the PWM CPU fan?

Thinking I maybe should have gotten the Pro version which has 4 case fan connectors.

mkenyon

Banned
What's the performance difference between that and the memory I posted in layman's terms? I don't quite understand it, but that's such a sharp price differential that I'm a little suspicious. I want my system to be future-proofed for the demands of my use (gaming and high definition linear video editing/post-production).
It's better. X79 handles memory a bit differently and overclocking is also a different process. I know it seems like a scam, but I'm not kidding when I say this memory clocks better than the finest kits from Gskill/Patriot/Corsair/Crucial.
Sorry if I missed someone answering my Q but I didnt find one so im reposting for new page.
It's pretty much building a new computer from the ground up, aside from the CPU/memory mounting.

ProXimity

Banned
It's better. X79 handles memory a bit differently and overclocking is also a different process. I know it seems like a scam, but I'm not kidding when I say this memory clocks better than the finest kits from Gskill/Patriot/Corsair/Crucial.

It's pretty much building a new computer from the ground up, aside from the CPU/memory mounting.

Can you explain a little bit more about how it works differently? 4x8 down to 2x2 seems like a huge downgrade just by looking at it, though I'm sure that may not be the case as you say. I don't get it; what do those numbers mean, then, if they don't necessarily signify some sort of performance level? Everyone I've talked to has said that for professional video editing, you need a lot of RAM. You're the first to tell me otherwise, so please understand why I do not immediately take your word for it.

ProXimity

Banned
Oh, no, sorry. I linked the wrong page.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147094

Same stuff, higher memory density. Buy 4-8 sticks of that. When you're talking about 16+GB of RAM, I don't think going any higher is going to give you extra headroom. You'll want your RAM to be speedy, and this clocks up to 2200mhz+ on X79.

So I can snag four to start to keep the build cheaper, then get 4 more whenever? Or should I just get all 8 now since I still save $25 from the Patriot Gamer 2?

I've never put together a computer before. Will doing it this way mean I have to get anything extra to plug them all in (8 as opposed to just 1)?

mkenyon

Banned
You can get however many you want. Adding more memory on X79 will limit your OC potential for both the RAM and the CPU, so I'd suggest going with 4. If the multimedia programs in specific that you use would benefit from even more RAM, then fill the rest. Your motherboard manual will give you information on which slots to put it in.

I'm putting it in my X79 build this very night to test out the OC capabilities.

I'm going to format my PC and reinstall Win7 when my new parts arrive.

Should I just format with my old MOBO/CPU still there then put in the new parts, or should I install my new MOBO, CPU, RAM... etc boot up and then format my OS ?

K' Dash

They're crazy. RE3 Blacks are dead reliable, about the best out there next to enterprise stuff.

Mkenyon, if you remember I got the seagate barracuda 500GB on Amazon for my build cause I couldn't find anything in the same price range, how screwed I'm I? are they that bad? fuck :(

ProXimity

Banned
Okay, so it looks like I'm going with this. Anything I should change before I buy? I'm getting Windows 7 at the student price ($64). This is my first PC build, so what should I do to prepare for getting all the parts together and assembling the rig? I'm totally new to this.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($47.27 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($278.94 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($23.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($117.09 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Azza CSAZ-1000 ATX Full Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($85.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1725.21
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-16 16:35 EDT-0400)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom