• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
In what sense?

It's socket 1155 and H61. You can put in an Ivy Bridge i5/i7 later, but there are two limitations:

1. You can't really overclock
  2. Haswell (the next CPU) is socket 1150

If I go to a BIOSTAR TZ77B will this help with overclocking?

I really only care about going up to an i7 when they come down in price.

r4z4

It lives! A big thanks to everyone who helped me get this far, first time builder.

2Pu9al.jpg

Now to install the GTX 670 and play Torchlight 2!

1-D_FTW

I was looking at a more expensive build yesterday but I kind of backed off from that.

again I know all this stuff is in the OP but this will all work together??

Does that MOBO allow me to upgrade my CPU later??

Thanks GAF you guys are always so awesome.

In what sense?

It's socket 1155 and H61. You can put in an Ivy Bridge i5/i7 later, but there are two limitations:

1. You can't really overclock
  2. Haswell (the next CPU) is socket 1150

As has been mentioned, you won't be able to overclock. And getting a free overclock to 4.4 or 4.5Ghz with a 2500k or 3570k is arguably more important than going from 2 to 4 cores.

If I go to a BIOSTAR TZ77B will this help with overclocking?

I really only care about going up to an i7 when they come down in price.

Yes. A Z77 board allows you to overclock a k processor.

number386

Finished my rig, feels good man! I come from the mac side of things so I don't know which browser to use, lol. Any suggestions? Sorry if it's off topic.

I was looking at a more expensive build yesterday but I kind of backed off from that.

again I know all this stuff is in the OP but this will all work together??

wMbOG.jpg

Thanks GAF you guys are always so awesome.

thanks for all the info about overclocking and stuff.

I think I am going to just stick with this for now.

it all will work together correct?? are there deals on GPUS that i could do better for my money?

edit: also have you guys ever signed up for the free 2 day shipping thing and then just canceled it?? with New egg?

kharma45

Finished my rig, feels good man! I come from the mac side of things so I don't know which browser to use, lol. Any suggestions? Sorry if it's off topic.

Firefox, it came out on top in the last Tom's Hardware Browser Grand Prix for Windows 7, although they're yet to do one for Firefox 12.

MrBig

Firefox, it came out on top in the last Tom's Hardware Browser Grand Prix for Windows 7, although they're yet to do one for Firefox 12.

Chrome and ffx are about equal right now. I use firefox because of more combustibility and I'd rather support a relatively small and open company like Mozilla than Google.

Shambles

I find Firefox's add-ons and structure for add-ons is miles ahead of chrome. I have a lot more control over what websites can run scripts, ads, cookies, flash cookies in FF than i do in chrome. Even some of chromes add-ons that block scripts still end up loading them in the background before disabling them, FF doesn't let me load in the first place. I haven't looked into it for a while so this may no longer be the case but I believe it had to do with the fundamental design of Chrome that prevented this. I run both browsers but usually use FF. Once you start looking you'd be surprised when you load a single page how many other websites are trying to run scripts and store cookies. Facebook.com and it's derivative domains will never pollute my desktop thanks to FF :)

ghostmind

Starting an Ivy Bridge build with either a HAF912 or a HAF XM. Given the case size, which Asus Z77 board would you go with? I'm starting with only one GPU card, though I may go SLI in the future. Would the Maximus V Gene be a bad idea, considering the case is not a mini? Would the Sabertooth be a better choice than a mainstream Asus Z77?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
hey guys, i kinda need a laptop. i would like to wait for W8 but i don't really have the time. so can anyone recommend me a laptop for less than $500? all i want is for it to be SKINNY. for the past 4+ years i ve been using a heavy laptop and ive had enough of that. Any help is greatly appreciated

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey guys sorry about the downtime Been super busy I will update the op with the gtx 670 And give it a good look over.
Tom's Hardware is like the IGN of Hardware Sites. Total garbage most of the time.
Agreed on lower quality. Don't know about garbage. I don't personally use it for general things.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
It really depends on your other specs, as you could get bottlenecked if they aren't up to par with the card. Judging on the card alone it seems pretty good to me, looks like it scores about 40 FPS on Battlefield 3 with Ultra settings. I say go for it.
Thank you very much for your answer. I'll be upgrading my Core 2 Q6600 CPU soon, so even if I'm bottlenecked, it won't be for long. :)

Hey guys sorry about the downtime Been super busy I will update the op with the gtx 670 And give it a good look over.
Agreed on lower quality. Don't know about garbage. I don't personally use it for general things.

You are awesome!! thanks for all you do.. do you think anything will change with the standard or budget builds? I am about to pull the trigger.

Wanting to OC my 2500K on Z68. Can I assume the P67 clunk.org guide is pretty much the same? Or any other guides you recommend?

I'm using An Asus P8Z68-V Pro. Thanks.

quick question guys.. my build is seriously strapped for cash.

how viable is it to use Windows 8 preview as my OS for a little bit???

I really only want to play Diablo III right now.

thanks guys.

TGMIII

What's the expected temp increases on pushing a 2500K from 3.3 to say 4.2/4.3/4.4. I've got a Noctua-DH14 and idle around 25-30 and load at 55-60 currently at 3.3Ghz.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What's the expected temp increases on pushing a 2500K from 3.3 to say 4.2/4.3/4.4. I've got a Noctua-DH14 and idle around 25-30 and load at 55-60 currently at 3.3Ghz.

Load seems a bit high for stock. I see 60-65 C at 4.4-4.6GHz with Hyper 212.

Make sure you aren't jacking up your Vcore directly or through something at load with "load line calibration". Look at the voltage in CPU-Z under load. If it exceeds 1.4V you've got bad settings. Generally keep it below 1.35V if you can.

Then again 55-60C is cool. If you can increase the clock rate to 4.4 GHz and not exceed 75 C max I think you're fine.

Chris R

I hate cable management :( doesn't help that I have 8 molex connectors and 2 fdd connectors that aren't in use now and pcie power connectors for a second gpu that I have to cram somewhere. Better to do it well once and not have to deal with it again. Also can't have them lying around obstructing airflow if I get a gpu that doesn't exhaust out the back.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
quick question guys.. my build is seriously strapped for cash.

how viable is it to use Windows 8 preview as my OS for a little bit???

I really only want to play Diablo III right now.

thanks guys.

If you don't have a choice then If you can go with 7 then do it.

vanty

I was just putting a new HDD and fan in my PC the other day, and now the rear speaker out on the motherboard doesn't work. I plug the cable in and the Realtek audio thing will pop-up with "something plugged into rear speaker out", but I get no sound. If it didn't know something was plugged in I could understand it just being dead for some reason, but it's more like half-dead and I have no idea. I have the speaker cable plugged into the front now, so I get sound but it's not a perfect solution.

Edgeward

Ugggghhhh stupid thing wont turn on now. I had put my cpu parts from my old dell case into a new coolermaster case but I having really shitty luck getting it to turn on. I think I've tried every combination: vertical, horizontal, switching the plug, nothing. Blaaah.

ArecxP

Banned
All right GAF, I bought a custom PC off Ebay since I'm not particularly found of actually building the entire thing from scratch. Help me out with the things I should replace (for better or quality parts). I'm not sure if any of these are up to par with whatever is available. I would also like to know if upgrading the 560ti to a 448 core is worth it. What are the benefits exactly?

Computer Case : Cooler Master Gladiator ATX Mid Tower Case (Black)
Power Supply Upgrade : 550W Heavy Duty TOUGH Series SATA Power Supply
Motherboard : GIGABYTE GA-Z77X Intel Z77/ DDR3/ 2-Way CrossFireX&SLI/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ATX
DDR3 Memory : 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 Hyper-X
Processor : Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Quad Core 6MB
CPU Cooling Fan : Cooler Master HYPER TX3
SSD : Crucial Technology SSD 64 GB Solid State Drive
Hard Drive : 500GB Seagate 7200RPM SATA-2 UDMA 300 16MB Cache
Video Card : EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB DDR DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card
DVD Recorder : Samsung 22X DVD+/-RW
Sound Card : 8-Channel Digital Sound Card (onboard)
Network Card : 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)

Yoshiya

Zeard.png

Slightly strange build, I know. Given I barely play games I've put more cash into the CPU and SSD. I'm considering something like this or just picking up the next Macbook Pro so I can be more flexible with school work. Hmmm. I just want something that will last, start up in a few seconds and not dare to threaten to slow down or lag - the shitbox PC I have is driving me insane.

You can get a 6870 for practically the same price but the performance is better.

I would also like to know if upgrading the 560ti to a 448 core is worth it. What are the benefits exactly?
Complete waste of cash since you already have a 560ti. I wouldn't even bother upgrading until 3 generations later.

colinp

Banned
I'm going to build the standard from the OP, but locally I am having trouble finding a 450W PSU for a reasonable price.

I can find an ANTEC EA-650W for MUCH less. Is there any reason NOT to get a 650 even if it's overkill for my machine? I'll save about $60 doing so (I'm in Japan, in case you're wondering why I don't just order from Newegg or something). It will still fit and do the job, won't it? There's no harm in going so big, right?

Update: I found the ANTEC EA-430 that I guess I'll go ahead and order since that is a reasonable price and more in line with my needs. Someone please tell me if I am making a horrible mistake!

1-D_FTW

I'm going to build the standard from the OP, but locally I am having trouble finding a 450W PSU for a reasonable price.

I can find an ANTEC EA-650W for MUCH less. Is there any reason NOT to get a 650 even if it's overkill for my machine? I'll save about $60 doing so (I'm in Japan, in case you're wondering why I don't just order from Newegg or something). It will still fit and do the job, won't it? There's no harm in going so big, right?

Update: I found the ANTEC EA-430 that I guess I'll go ahead and order since that is a reasonable price and more in line with my needs. Someone please tell me if I am making a horrible mistake!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16817151093

If you hurry, you can get the modular Seasonic 520W for around 69 dollars with shipping.

1-D_FTW

No no, I'm in Japan so I can't order from newegg. Or I wouldn't save much with the shipping... ;) Looks like the 520W is a good $30 more than the 430 over here so I'll stick with the 430. Thanks for the recommendation though!

No problem. It didn't even need my response. I missed your update. I could have sworn it wasn't there when I pressed the quote button (although it had been open for a while). When my answer posted, I saw the quote was updated. Wasn't trying to upsell you.

colinp

Banned
No problem. It didn't even need my response. I missed your update. I could have sworn it wasn't there when I pressed the quote button (although it had been open for a while). When my answer posted, I saw the quote was updated. Wasn't trying to upsell you.

Haha, I didn't think you were. ;)

Anyway, I was going to order my graphics card but Amazon.jp is apparently low on supply and have jacked the price up! Ugh, going to pick it up at a local shop tomorrow for two $ more for conveniences sake. Amazing how quickly prices change on Amazon... You really need to commit because if you wait too long...

JonCha

Considering reserving the G500 and a HDMI cable for pick-up at PC World, which actually works out cheaper. The only issue is if Amazon say the deliveries are coming, so I'll have duplicates, instead of offering a refund.

Looking at this Diablo 3 bench

Diablo-3-CPU-Bench.png

And suddenly the FX 4170 looks like a nice little chip (or actually the 4100 and easily overclock it to a 4170). You can see it's not far below the 2500K there.

$110 for the 4100 on newegg, cheap AM3+ mobo for $60, and $30 for 8GB of RAM (doesn't have to be fast). A rig for under $200 (heck, in my case I could probably sell my old parts for $200). I also generally have a desire to buy something different than the norm or support the underdog.

Sadly a little more checking and in most games the 4100 sucks, it's still not worth it. Only if more games look like Diablo 3 going forward. Maybe games will actually optimize for the FX architecture going forward.

JB1981

Is it me or are the 560ti benchmarks not that great for a $250 card? Radeon 6900 series fairs better and is $50 cheaper

I just got my M4 today that I ordered last night. I'm kind of bummed I only ordered the drive itself because I will probably have to go hunt for some cables. Also, it looks like they redesigned their logo - its completely different than what is on Newegg, TigerDirect, etc.

beVpkl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom