• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arken2121

Hey guys, i'm in a little bit of a bind. Just bought a new rig, finished building it but i'm getting an LED error when I start it up. Debug #14 which apparently means Pre-memory CPU initialization is started. I tried searching but I have no idea what the issue is.

LordAlu

I have the same case; I love it! More room inside than I will ever need.
It's pretty impressive indeed! Just found out that the 8pin motherboard connector on my PSU isn't long enough to route through the holes. Even through the bracket gap it won't go. Which means it's gonna have to go straight through the case :,(

JonCha

Got my inside-a-box-in-a-box Shinobi case, so there's plenty of excess cardboard around. Waiting on HDMI leads and mouses, but looks like they're not coming today. :( CityLink says they're being processed or something to that effect, despite delivery slated for half 5 at the latest.

Anyone recommend an adapter bracket so I can fit a 2.5 ssd into a 3.5 bay? I'm assuming there isn't that much of a difference between them since they are just pieces of metal.

NeOak

I recently upgraded from my 4870 to a gtx 560 ti. I'm overclocking it to get about 965MHz GPU Clock, 2100 Mem.
When running battlefield 3 on high settings, it runs great, but my card heats to about 60C, then after about 10 minutes of play, I'm guessing it goes a little hotter around 67c and it boots me out of the game. Does this mean (a) my settings are too high and i should drop some AA down or other settings, (b) my overclock is not stable for such a demanding game, (c) I should overclock it more, (d) combination of the above.

I'd go with (d). Obviously you need to overclock it more so its more stable

drop to stock speeds and oc it mhz by mhz over the course of days

This runs from the front (and top) of the case. Anyone got any clue what is and where it goes?

fotow0j49.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
I recently upgraded from my 4870 to a gtx 560 ti. I'm overclocking it to get about 965MHz GPU Clock, 2100 Mem.
When running battlefield 3 on high settings, it runs great, but my card heats to about 60C, then after about 10 minutes of play, I'm guessing it goes a little hotter around 67c and it boots me out of the game. Does this mean (a) my settings are too high and i should drop some AA down or other settings, (b) my overclock is not stable for such a demanding game, (c) I should overclock it more, (d) combination of the above.

Keep in mind, my idle is about 44c (I have no idea how you guys get it so cool, is it cause i live in florida?).

Also, Should I flip my PSU upside down also so the PSU exhaust comes out the bottom of the case (its bottom mounted and I can position it either way) to help with the temp?

I also have two intake fans on the side that are not on right now (waiting on a fan controller cause they are too loud right now).

Thanks in advance.
Under 90C is fine. You need more volts to get it stable. Check out the race your pc thread for some examples of how the 560Ti can be clocked. Each one is unique though.
It's pretty impressive indeed! Just found out that the 8pin motherboard connector on my PSU isn't long enough to route through the holes. Even through the bracket gap it won't go. Which means it's gonna have to go straight through the case :,(
Route it literally under your motherboard. It'll reach that way. Just place it under there before you screw your motherboard in.
Anyone recommend an adapter bracket so I can fit a 2.5 ssd into a 3.5 bay? I'm assuming there isn't that much of a difference between them since they are just pieces of metal.
They all work.
This runs from the front (and top) of the case. Anyone got any clue what is and where it goes?
That's a fan header.

My Caviar Black is shaking the hell out of my drive rack in my 600t. Any tips on stabilizing it? My friend has exact same build and no obnoxious noise when the drive is reading/writing.

Chris R

Just some teaser photos for now since I'm not done building the rig yet (forgot that I wanted to backup my steam games so I didn't have to redownload 100GB of games but that I only had a single PSU to go between the rigs).

This is the "before" shot. This is actually how I ran it (the door had a window and two holes where fans could go, but having it on or off made no difference in the noise levels (LOUD) while having it off made the GPU run cooler). Pretty much a POS rig, but in the future I'm thinking a nice small case and 650ish GPU could bring this rig back to life as a computer for a family member, a Q9550 isn't too old.

http://minus.com/lBBsweqoq2853

And this is just a teaser shot of the new build. I'm almost done installing stuff, just need to take the PSU and HDD out of my old rig to include in my new one and wait for a freaking Asus 670 DirectCU II Top to show up in stock somewhere :p

http://minus.com/lbxNNk6DN4ZFrR

That is a Maximus Gene V, 3770k and 16GB of ram there, sitting in my new case's tray.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Yay!!

newstuff.jpg

Gonna recover my PSU, 560Ti and SATA drives from my current rig. The case is a thing of beauty, but dear god it's huuuuuge compared to my current one! :p

What's the name of that case?

With the massive side vent/fan it looks like it could be pretty good for cooling a sli setup.

Under 90C is fine. You need more volts to get it stable. Check out the race your pc thread for some examples of how the 560Ti can be clocked. Each one is unique though.

Route it literally under your motherboard. It'll reach that way. Just place it under there before you screw your motherboard in.

They all work.

That's a fan header.

Right, not entirely sure where it goes though, since all the other connectors are female (and go in the motherboard).

Problem solved, it belongs to the big fan in the side panel.

mkenyon

Banned
Right, not entirely sure where it goes though, since all the other connectors are female (and go in the motherboard).

No, you won't want to put those in the motherboard (unless you bought PWM fans). IIRC, that has a built in fan controller. That's one of the plugs from the fan controller. There should be more of them, maybe your case fans are already plugged into them.

Pangya

Hi GAF,

I need help buying parts for a friend's son that basically wants to run TF2 as smooth as possible for a budget of around $350. I'm not sure what the optimal choices would be for this budget range.

Here's what's needed:

Case: Had Rosewill CHALLENGER in mind for $50.

CPU and mobo: ???

Graphics card: ???

RAM: ???

PSU: ???

Hard drive and Windows 7 are already covered, so the budget is $350 just on the parts listed above.

Got a new modular power supply and case LIAN LI PC-V351B. Was planning to move everything else over and upgrade my motherboard, memory, and graphics card when I catch a good deal. But now I am having second thoughts and I might go ahead and get the motherboard, processor and memory as well. What is the best mATX motherboard out?

Chris R

Forgot that I had one more photo on my phone.

Going to be fun to keep the rig looking this clean as I add more stuff to it. I was never too good at cable management.

Shambles

Hi GAF,

I need help buying parts for a friend's son that basically wants to run TF2 as smooth as possible for a budget of around $350. I'm not sure what the optimal choices would be for this budget range.

Here's what's needed:

Case: Had Rosewill CHALLENGER in mind for $50.

CPU and mobo: ???

RAM: ???

PSU: ???

Hard drive and Windows 7 are already covered, so the budget is $350 just on the parts listed above.

You're running into a really, really tight budget to cover all those parts. I'd suggest building something and just using the integrated graphics for the time being. If the son wants to upgrade to a discrete GPU down the road then he can do that himself. Running TF2 on the HD4000 lets me run it on high without AA basically maxing it out. I'm not sure how AMDs bulldozer parts compare. Even though their CPUs are quite a bit slower you might be better off since the AMD platform is quite a bit cheaper and has stronger integrated graphics. If the does end up buying a discrete GPU down the road then the AMD platform only becomes a liability.

Edit: Brain fart, there are no low end HD4000 parts out right now. The only ones with it are out of your price range.

I think the budget is still obtainable with a low end discrete GPU. I was searching around and updated more parts:
Which leaves the CPU, GPU, and RAM to a budget of around $250.

Dang that's a cheap motherboard, never seen a practical $25 board before. Yeah, that's totally doable. Pop in the i3, something like a 6850, and a cheap set of 4GB memory and you're there. Heck, that ECS MIR is even available in canada right now. I'm almost tempted to rebuild a proper HTPC for myself along the same lines.

Pangya

You're running into a really, really tight budget to cover all those parts. I'd suggest building something and just using the integrated graphics for the time being. If the son wants to upgrade to a discrete GPU down the road then he can do that himself. Running TF2 on the HD4000 lets me run it on high without AA basically maxing it out. I'm not sure how AMDs bulldozer parts compare. Even though their CPUs are quite a bit slower you might be better off since the AMD platform is quite a bit cheaper and has stronger integrated graphics. If the does end up buying a discrete GPU down the road then the AMD platform only becomes a liability.

I think the budget is still obtainable with a low end discrete GPU. I was searching around and updated more parts:

Case: Rosewill Challenger $50

CPU: ???

Mobo: ECS LGA 1155 mATX $25

RAM: GSkill Ripjaw 8GB $43

PSU: Cooler Master 460w PSU $20

Which leaves the CPU and GPU to a budget of around $200.

mkenyon

Banned
Hi GAF,

Craigslist. Or OP min budget with a weaker/less expensive graphics card.
Got a new modular power supply and case LIAN LI PC-V351B. Was planning to move everything else over and upgrade my motherboard, memory, and graphics card when I catch a good deal. But now I am having second thoughts and I might go ahead and get the motherboard, processor and memory as well. What is the best mATX motherboard out?
Maixmus V Gene or Rampage IV Gene.

Chris R

I can't recommend the Maximus V Gene enough. Top notch board. Of course I haven't powered it on yet, but everything I've done with it so far has been great :p

Hd 2000 runs tf2 at mostly low with aa. 720p 60+ fps. About 100 bucks for both g630 and h61 mobo. 20 for 4gb gskill, 60 for cx430, etc

I assume Amd's APUs are even better.

kharma45

Hd 2000 runs tf2 at mostly low with aa. 720p 60+ fps. About 100 bucks for both g630 and h61 mobo. 20 for 4gb gskill, 60 for cx430, etc

I assume Amd's APUs are even better.

This is what the laptop version of Trinity was getting with Portal 2, I presume TF2 would be similar if not better

46682.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's worth keeping in mind that, in Source shooters, ejected bullet casings are considered physics objects. This, understandably, causes a relatively large framerate drop when firefights occur, which can be noticeable if your CPU isn't up to par.

When I did my last upgrade (2500K i5) I didn't buy a new graphics card, so I'm still using my 4870x2. Do you think I should finally upgrade and get a 570 or 580gtx?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
GAF, I'm in Portugal, and I would like to get a new graphics card. My budget is 200€, and for that price I can find this:

ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 - ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU II TOP overclocked graphics card

Is this a decent choice?

Please, no "for a few euros more, you could get..." suggestions.

Thank you for the attention.
It really depends on your other specs, as you could get bottlenecked if they aren't up to par with the card. Judging on the card alone it seems pretty good to me, looks like it scores about 40 FPS on Battlefield 3 with Ultra settings. I say go for it.

Isocr4cy

Returned my faulty Gigabyte GTX 670 and got a new one. All my old problems are gone! With i7 3770K, 16 GB of RAM, and the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe Motherboard I got the following:

Unigine Heaven (Max):
FPS:
Scores:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

3D Mark 11:
X3144 3DMarks
Graphics Score 2882
Physics Score 9786
Combined Score 3314

Are these results fairly typical? Besides the factory OC on the 670 I've done no OCing myself.

Chris R

Made this post in the Nvidia thread. Should be relevant here as well. Very happy to have gone with gigabyte :)

Looks like the Gigabyte OCs better and runs cooler. What a shame that they had to release it with that blue PCB :p

I guess I'll buy it if I haven't bought the Asus by the end of next week

I have around $150 I could spend on a card, any quick suggestions? I don't really need anything amazing because anything I get is going to make the current card I have look like a Colecovision.

I did look at the OP but I'm still confused. I don't know a lot about this sort of thing but after getting Diablo III and FF14 I know I need a new card :lol

edit: looks like I should just keep saving for a 560ti.

I have around $150 I could spend on a card, any quick suggestions? I don't really need anything amazing because anything I get is going to make the current card I have look like a Colecovision.

I did look at the OP but I'm still confused. I don't know a lot about this sort of thing but after getting Diablo III and FF14 I know I need a new card :lol

I got a Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870 for my build about a month or so ago, and I love it.
Comes with Dirt 3, also. $169 on Amazon, but I didn't search anywhere else. You can probably find it cheaper somewhere.

Think I'm doing something wrong with my Corsair 500r case. There were 4 motherboard standoff screws and I ended up putting them in the bottom left 4 holes after I noticed that I couldn't properly fit a PCI wifi card. The card does fit (with the standoff screws in place), but now I can't secure the PCI card screw, there's a space between the case and the PCI card's metal plate. Weird.

mkenyon

Banned
Think I'm doing something wrong with my Corsair 500r case. There were 4 motherboard standoff screws and I ended up putting them in the bottom left 4 holes after I noticed that I couldn't properly fit a PCI wifi card. The card does fit (with the standoff screws in place), but now I can't secure the PCI card screw, there's a space between the case and the PCI card's metal plate. Weird.
The brass bits go BELOW the motherboard.

JonCha

Bloody hell. No mouse or HMDI cables until next week. Asked a friend if he's got some spare, says he might have a mouse and VGA cable. So annoying paying next day delivery and it not arriving. Literally got everything else.

Ok, next problem. I'm still waiting for my 670GTX, until then I wanted to use the 3570's onboard video.

But when I install the VGA driver and boot into windows, I get no video signal. I see everyting up to the 'starting windows screen', after that it goes black.

Any ideas?

(using an HDMI cable, ASrock Z77 Pro4 mobo, 3570k CPU)

I was looking at a more expensive build yesterday but I kind of backed off from that.

again I know all this stuff is in the OP but this will all work together??

Does that MOBO allow me to upgrade my CPU later??

click to make large

wMbOG.jpg

Thanks GAF you guys are always so awesome.

kharma45

I was looking at a more expensive build yesterday but I kind of backed off from that.

again I know all this stuff is in the OP but this will all work together??

Does that MOBO allow me to upgrade my CPU later??

Thanks GAF you guys are always so awesome.

Pretty sure you'll be stuck with only getting as far as an Ivy Bridge upgrade as Haswell has a new socket.

Ok, next problem. I'm still waiting for my 670GTX, until then I wanted to use the 3570's onboard video.

But when I install the VGA driver and boot into windows, I get no video signal. I see everyting up to the 'starting windows screen', after that it goes black.

Any ideas?

(using an HDMI cable, ASrock Z77 Pro4 mobo, 3570k CPU)

Ok, it works when I use the DVI port. HDMI stopped functioning. Hmmm. Odd stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom