• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Can I get some opinions on this build, whether or not it can run bf3 at ultra (64 players)/ max out other games? Future proof? Overall pc performance? (multitasking)

10GB DDR3-1600MHz

2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K six-core processor
3.2GHz, Shared 12MB Cache

3GB AMD Radeon HD 7950 [Dual Bracket, DVI, HDMI, 2x mini-DP]

600W Power supply

2TB hard drive 7200 rpm SATA hard drive

Still working on a cooler.

Thanks for anyone who can share their opinion, I am completely new to pc gaming, want to know if I'm at least stepping off in the right direction with this build.

Definitely spending too much on that CPU to only use a 7950 GPU.

Bump yourself down to a 2500K or the equivalent Ivy Bridge; and then upgrade your video card to a GTX670 (or 7970 if you want to stick with AMD).

Use multiples of two, in two slots or four slots for your ram. So you'll probably do 8GBs of RAM (2GBx4 or 4GB x2), or 16GBs (4GBs x 4).

Bump up your PSU to a 750 or higher if you plan to SLI in the future. Make sure you stick with a name brand one.

I'm sure others will have lots more to add. What's your budget?

Okay, so I just finished building a PC:

Mobo: Z77 Extreme 4

The first time I turn it on, a splash screen shows up. I can't remember what showed up next.

I turn it off, turn it on again, and nothing shows on the screen.

Here's what I know:
* It seems to detect the keyboard and mouse (they light up)
* The DVD drive spins up (it has a Windows 7 DVD in there)
* On the Mobo, it has a little 2 digit display called Dr Debug that says A2 (which means IDE Detect)
* I've tried the analog display out, the digital display out, and the display out on the graphics card.

How should I go about figuring out what's wrong??

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just impulse bought the ASUS 670 DCII TOP ed on Amazon since there were less than ~20
left in stock.

Wow, now it is 7 left in stock!

ASUS 670 DCII TOP

First part of my new PC bought!

They've been up all day; but now it's posted on SlickDeals and they're going fast to people somehow hoping to flip them for profit.

I've been back and forth all day long debating if I want to upgrade from my 570. Well, I know I *want* to. But, I just have a hard time paying MSRP for things. I imagine these will drop to high $300s in the next couple months either from a deal or coupon, and I'll pull the trigger. Doesn't help I bought a 128GB M4 and a new Citizen watch this morning, and gifts for my mom's birthday, either. ;p

ccbfan

A couple people were wondering how my D3 with Intel HD 4000, igp for the 3570K and 3770K, experience is going to be. Non OCed 3570K in my case

I start playing this weekend and is running great. I'm not noticing any flaws in the game. No slow down or anything. Looks better than anything the PS3 or 360 can do. Temps are running low at room temperature + 1-5 degrees after a 3 straight hour session (Using a 212+).

Also I visited some family this weekend and played checked out D3 on my brother in laws's PC. His PC is a OCed i5-2500K at 4.5 gHz and has a 560 Ti 446. His look a bit crisper but honestly I couldn't tell much of a difference at all. My wife said it looks exactly like mine.

Now my wife and I aren't exactly graphic gurus. I've been primarily a console gamer (PS3, Wii) since Diablo 2 and Quake 3 days and only have low end 300-400 dollar laptops as computers since. So my eye's probably aren't experienced enough to tell minute differences.

Works great for me though. I still plan to get a discrete graphics but since it can play D3 and probably SC2 and Skyrim (LOL at PS3 version) no problem since they're about the same graphically. I can hold off until the 660s, 650s come out.

The first time I turn it on, a splash screen shows up. I can't remember what showed up next.

Here's what I know:
* On the Mobo, it has a little 2 digit display called Dr Debug that says A2 (which means IDE Detect)
* I've tried the analog display out, the digital display out, and the display out on the graphics card.

according to here it might be that your graphic card isn't seated properly?

so i would say to remove your card entirely and try again.

Here's what I know:

I had the exact same card and same problem (although I never even saw the splash screen). Looked all over the internet, tried some of the things recommended here, nothing worked. My solution was to do the RMA thing, sending it back tomorrow.

Feels bad man :(

according to here it might be that your graphic card isn't seated properly so i would say to remove your card and try again.

I reseated the graphics card multiple times, and also tried to boot without a graphics card. No change.

Madridy

They've been up all day; but now it's posted on SlickDeals and they're going fast to people somehow hoping to flip them for profit.

I've been back and forth all day long debating if I want to upgrade from my 570. Well, I know I *want* to. But, I just have a hard time paying MSRP for things. I imagine these will drop to high $300s in the next couple months either from a deal or coupon, and I'll pull the trigger. Doesn't help I bought a 128GB M4 and a new Citizen watch this morning, and gifts for my mom's birthday, either. ;p

I was debating the same thing to wait, since I'm not gonna build my PC until late June/early July. But considering the that the Nvidia 600s series card shipments constraints and that GTX 680 is still hard to find two months after release I didn't want to risk not getting the GPU I want when I'm ready to buy/build the rest of my components.

Especially considering that the TOP DCII is the on I wanted, either this or MSI's OC TwinFrozer , but MSI's is no where to be found.

Skel1ingt0n

I was debating the same thing to wait, since I'm not gonna build my PC until late June/early July. But considering the that the Nvidia 600s series card shipments constraints and that GTX 680 is still hard to find two months after release I didn't want to risk not getting the GPU I want when I'm ready to buy/build the rest of my components.

Especially considering that the TOP DCII is the on I wanted, either this or MSI's OC TwinFrozer , but MSI's is no where to be found.

Totally makes sense. The last thing you want is to be on a witch hunt when the time comes; it's not worth the maybe ~$40 in savings for your sanity. But for me, I just don't *need* it now - my 570 still handles everything I throw at it just fine.

I had the exact same card and same problem (although I never even saw the splash screen). Looked all over the internet, tried some of the things recommended here, nothing worked. My solution was to do the RMA thing, sending it back tomorrow.

Feels bad man :(

I reseated the graphics card multiple times, and also tried to boot without a graphics card. No change.

Oh well. :(

The only thing left i would say is to check the DVD drive and/or HDD connections as a last ditch effort..

LEGGZZZZ

Definitely spending too much on that CPU to only use a 7950 GPU.

Bump yourself down to a 2500K or the equivalent Ivy Bridge; and then upgrade your video card to a GTX670 (or 7970 if you want to stick with AMD).

Use multiples of two, in two slots or four slots for your ram. So you'll probably do 8GBs of RAM (2GBx4 or 4GB x2), or 16GBs (4GBs x 4).

Bump up your PSU to a 750 or higher if you plan to SLI in the future. Make sure you stick with a name brand one.

I'm sure others will have lots more to add. What's your budget?

Thanks for your input budget is around 1500$ I'll definitely take your advice on the cpu, so really 2500k should be more than enough to help achieve high performance?

Arken2121

Has anyone else here experienced problems with the benq xl2420tx that 3D mode is always on even though on the nvidia panel it's checked only run in applications?

_Isaac

Here's my build so far. Is it any good? Anything off? I'm hoping to have it as a gaming pc. I played the Crysis demo a while ago, and I've always wanted to play those, so i'm wondering if this build can run the Crysis games, Skyrim, and the Witcher games. Those are titles I'm really interested in.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/93Qv

CPU Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.90
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $149.99
Memory G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $39.99
Hard Drive Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $109.99
SSDCrucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $109.99
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card $399.99
Case Diablotek CPA-6170 ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99
Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $98.99
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $17.99
Monitor Acer S230HLAbii 23.0" Monitor $149.99
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) $99.99
Keyboard Lite-On SK-1788/BS Wired Standard Keyboard $7.99

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Here's my build so far. Is it any good? Anything off? I'm hoping to have it as a gaming pc. I played the Crysis demo a while ago, and I've always wanted to play those, so i'm wondering if this build can run the Crysis games, Skyrim, and the Witcher games. Those are titles I'm really interested in.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/93Qv

CPU Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.90
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $149.99
Memory G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $39.99
Hard Drive Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $109.99
SSDCrucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $109.99
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card $399.99
Case Diablotek CPA-6170 ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99
Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $98.99
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $17.99
Monitor Acer S230HLAbii 23.0" Monitor $149.99
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) $99.99
Keyboard Lite-On SK-1788/BS Wired Standard Keyboard $7.99
I'd swap the case for anything in the OP unless you are really attached to it or already have it.

750W is a lot and you'll only need a 550W if you run a single card. BP550 is a good value option there.

I'd spend a bit more on a KB as well if you can.

Other than those small things it looks good. A 670 is super fast and you shouldn't have any trouble if you bump up the 2500K a bit.

_Isaac

I'd swap the case for anything in the OP unless you are really attached to it or already have it.

750W is a lot and you'll only need a 550W if you run a single card. BP550 is a good value option there.

I'd spend a bit more on a KB as well if you can.

but...the case is in the OP. What's wrong with this case? I'm not attached to it btw.
EDIT: Ah I see. The case actually isn't in the OP. Hmm...I'll shop around a bit more.
I'm glad to hear about the POwer Supply. I'm definitely going to get a 550W.
Other than those small things it looks good. A 670 is super fast and you shouldn't have any trouble if you bump up the 2500K a bit.
I shouldn't have any trouble bumping up the 2500k a bit, but would I have any trouble if I don't bump it up? Like is the CPU maybe a bit too weak for the card right now?

ProXimity

Banned
Can I get some opinions on this build, whether or not it can run bf3 at ultra (64 players)/ max out other games? Future proof? Overall pc performance? (multitasking)

10GB DDR3-1600MHz

2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K six-core processor
3.2GHz, Shared 12MB Cache

3GB AMD Radeon HD 7950 [Dual Bracket, DVI, HDMI, 2x mini-DP]

600W Power supply

2TB hard drive 7200 rpm SATA hard drive

Still working on a cooler.

Thanks for anyone who can share their opinion, I am completely new to pc gaming, want to know if I'm at least stepping off in the right direction with this build.

I got the same CPU with a GTX 670.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
but...the case is in the OP. What's wrong with this case? I'm not attached to it btw.
EDIT: Ah I see. The case actually isn't in the OP. Hmm...I'll shop around a bit more.
I'm glad to hear about the POwer Supply. I'm definitely going to get a 550W.

I shouldn't have any trouble bumping up the 2500k a bit, but would I have any trouble if I don't bump it up? Like is the CPU maybe a bit too weak for the card right now?
Not much is CPU limited or held back by a bottle neck. Don't sweat it.

_Isaac

Not much is CPU limited or held back by a bottle neck. Don't sweat it.

Alright. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT:
What do you guys think of the Rosewill Challenger case? It looks kinda cute.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153
6EfYh.jpg

alternade

Well my stuff comes in tomorrow and I got a couple questions left. I'm going to use the consumer preview of windows 8 for now but I will probably be buying an ssd and putting windows 7 on that in the near future. Will I have to format the drive I had W8 on at that time or can I just install on the ssd and all the games and such will be accessible that were on the other drive?

scottnak

550 is more than he needs, he should be more concerned about the quality of the PSU. This one's very good in that wattage range, and it is fully modular.

Ahha. Thanks!

BTW, is there any worries about reliability about NCIX US or Super Biiz?
Are they solid companies that we can rely on?

CTE

Ok. I need some advice on which of these 2 systems to choose. I don't have many options so long story short is pick one of the two I show here and tell me why it's better.

1st:
AMD FX4100 3.6GHz w/Coolermaster 212
Coolermaster Elite 334 Nvidia Edition
MSI 990XA-GD55
8GB ddr3 1600 Kingston
WD 1TB
lg 24X DVD
W7 home premium
MSI 560ti Hawk
Coolermaster extreme power plus 700watt

2nd:
i5 3450 3.1/3.5GHz w/ Coolermaster 212
Coolermaster Elite 335
MSI Z77A-G43(Panther point?)
8GB ddr3 1600
WD 1TB
Asus 24x DVD
W7 Home premium
EVGA 560ti vanilla edition(no factory OC)
Coolermaster extreme power plus 550watt (is that enough?)

So which has better bang for my buck? If both systems were placed in front of you, which would you choose?

The second system is $50 more than the first. So keep that in mind, too.

I would be happy to play recent games at 1600 and higher with 45fps or higher.

Okay, so I'm up and running on my new desktop, with an i5 3750K.

I used the software that came with my Mobo (asrock z77 extreme 4) to overclock to 4.2 GHz.

However, when I go to computer properties, it says I'm at 3.4 GHz. Will this value not change when I OC?

Okay, so I'm up and running on my new desktop, with an i5 3750K.

I used the software that came with my Mobo (asrock z77 extreme 4) to overclock to 4.2 GHz.

However, when I go to computer properties, it says I'm at 3.4 GHz. Will this value not change when I OC?

Windows shows the default clock speed, don't worry about it. If you want to verify, use something like CPU-Z.

Arken2121

Alright ladies and gentlemen, after a month of failures, RMA's, and just plain ol' bad luck, I've finally got this new PC up and running. The hassle of dealing with a broken CPU, H100, memory fell apart and literally dozens of Mobo debug errors made it all worth it I believe. Through all the turmoil, the one person who stayed with me every step of the way was Meknyon ; this gentlemen and scholar ;) assisted me with the process and endured the painful error after error we encountered until it was all resolved. Thank you bro for all your help and knowledge to help me get this rig up and running.

I'll be posting pictures very soon but I just wanted to post an update and give thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ok. I need some advice on which of these 2 systems to choose. I don't have many options so long story short is pick one of the two I show here and tell me why it's better.

#2.

Intel and actual quad core vs gimped quad. Much faster as well.

CTE

#2.

Intel and actual quad core vs gimped quad. Much faster as well.

Thanks. I'll go pay for it tomorrow. Just needed a few opinions that agreed with what I was thinking to push me over the edge. I over-analyze things sometimes and get indecisive as a result. Happy to get back into PC gaming, though.

longdi

Banned

1st:
AMD FX4100 3.6GHz w/Coolermaster 212
Coolermaster Elite 334 Nvidia Edition
MSI 990XA-GD55
8GB ddr3 1600 Kingston
WD 1TB
lg 24X DVD
W7 home premium
MSI 560ti Hawk
Coolermaster extreme power plus 700watt

2nd:
i5 3450 3.1/3.5GHz w/ Coolermaster 212
Coolermaster Elite 335
MSI Z77A-G43(Panther point?)
8GB ddr3 1600
WD 1TB
Asus 24x DVD
W7 Home premium
EVGA 560ti vanilla edition(no factory OC)
Coolermaster extreme power plus 550watt (is that enough?)

So which has better bang for my buck? If both systems were placed in front of you, which would you choose?

2nd is great and you can do limited overclocking to 3.9ghz on quad cores! whats there not to like?

CTE

2nd is great and you can do limited overclocking to 3.9ghz on quad cores! whats there not to like?

True. I'm going to add a SSD in a month or so. Just don't have the funds now since I need a new monitor on top of my tower. That should add some serious speed overall I'm hoping since I'm just HDD at this point.

Can I get some feedback as to whether things are working as expected or not?

I have an i5 3750K CPU and Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 mobo. For cooling I have the 212 EVO with one fan.

I used the OC "optimized settings" in the BIOS to overclock to 4.2 GHz. (4.6 and 4.4 both resulted in crashes when running Prime 95)

The max temp I'm getting when running the In-Place Large FFTs test (the one that says "maximum heat, power consumption...") is 70 C (and generally hovers at 66-68C).

Is this normal? Any concerns? Should I be able to overclock higher with my setup? Should my temps be lower?

Mayyhem

Alright NeoGAF. I read the OP and I gave this a shot. I'm "sort of" a computer noob, so my friend is going to help me build this. But I thought I would run this buy you guys to see if GAF has any suggestions. btw; I live in Canada Used NCIX for all parts.

Basic Desktop Questions:

Your Current Specs: nothing, just a laptop. have a 22inch viewsonic i plan to use as my monitor. Havent had a PC in like 6-7 years, so I'm really excited.
Budget: 750-900 pretty strict but I'd go over a bit I guess
Main Use: Light Gaming 5, Gaming 4, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 1, Video Editing 1, HD Streaming 3 (might stream some shows or movie here and there), 3D work 1, General Usage 5 (Word, Web, 1080p playback). Rate importance on a 1-5 scale. (5 Being highest)
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor? Not too strict about resolution, whatever looks pretty good. I have a 22inch viewsonic that I use to play my Xbox 360 in 720p that I will also use for my new computer
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Diablo 3, CS: Source, BF3. Any new games that interest me, not too picky about whole "maxed out settings running at 60 fps stuff. but dont want it running crappy or looking really bad
Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX 520W) No
When will you build?: What time frames are doable? Are you building this weekend? Do you need it in a week or so? Can you wait a month or two? Would really like to get this all done within a week. My friend can help me build it if I need too but I was also thinking about NCIX's pre-build feature for $50.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes) Maybe i guess?

Anyways, here's what I've got. Any tips / suggestions / replacements / critiques are much appreciated. Thanks.

Case - $44.99 - Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case Black 3X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS W/ Fan Controller & Temp Display - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57910&vpn=Z9 Plus&manufacture=ZALMAN TECH&promoid=1019

PSU - $74.99 - $44.99 after $30 mail-in rebate - OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan 80PLUS Power Supply - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=35456&vpn=OCZ700MXSP&manufacture=OCZ Technology&promoid=1019

Motherboard - $164.99 - Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Z77DDR3 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 HDMI CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70263&promoid=1019

CPU - $238.99 - Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70541&vpn=BX80637I53570K&manufacture=Others&promoid=1019

Ram - $48.99 - G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57953&vpn=F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL&manufacture=G.Skill&promoid=1019

Video Card - $149.99 - XFX Radeon HD 6870 900MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI 2x Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=62756&vpn=HD687AZHFC&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1019

DVD Drive - $19.99 - ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=49597&vpn=DRW-24B1ST Bulk&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1019

Heatsink - $30.98 - Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120MM - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=41337&vpn=RR-B10-212P-G1&manufacture=COOLERMASTER

Hard drive - $117.99 - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=50895&vpn=WD1002FAEX&manufacture=Western Digital WD&promoid=1019

As you can see thats already $891.9 before tax :/ and I'm sure I'm missing a few things like an OS, keyboard / mouse. I tried to make this as organized and accessible to you guys as I could. Like I said i'm sort of an amateur when it comes to this stuff, so I could use some advice. Also, if I missed anything important let me know, and please do recommend something in my price range.

longdi

Banned
True. I'm going to add a SSD in a month or so. Just don't have the funds now since I need a new monitor on top of my tower. That should add some serious speed overall I'm hoping since I'm just HDD at this point.

suggest a change from msi to asrock extreme4 because it is better stuff and more bang for your $$.

suggest too a change from cm extreme to seasonic m12ii. cm extreme line is crap.

_Isaac

With regards to an OS. With Windows 8 coming out soon, is it a bad idea to just stick to the Windows 8 beta instead of Windows 7 for my new PC?

Razgreez

Top 3 HDD cages are removable.

I understand that. Take it this way, you remove the top 3 cages. You insert your HDD in one of the bottom two. Your modular PSU generally has it's ports centered on its the box. Notice then that this remaining HDD cage would get in the way of many if not most of these ports even if it is off center of the case.

I'm not trying to be a know-it-all just trying to make sure for mine and any other mini-ITX purchaser's sake

surly

Banned
Can I get some feedback as to whether things are working as expected or not?

I have an i5 3750K CPU and Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 mobo. For cooling I have the 212 EVO with one fan.

I used the OC "optimized settings" in the BIOS to overclock to 4.2 GHz. (4.6 and 4.4 both resulted in crashes when running Prime 95)

The max temp I'm getting when running the In-Place Large FFTs test (the one that says "maximum heat, power consumption...") is 70 C (and generally hovers at 66-68C).

Is this normal? Any concerns? Should I be able to overclock higher with my setup? Should my temps be lower?
Those temps are fine. The TJ max for that CPU is 105 degrees I believe, so if you're maxing out all cores in Prime 95 and the highest you're hitting is 70 degrees after the stress test has been left to run for a decent period of time then you're a fair way off the point where the chip would shut down/throttle to prevent damage. Cooler is better, obviously, but I wouldn't be concerned about those temps at all.

I was in here a few days ago asking about a desktop wireless solution. I wanted to let you guys know that I used an old Linksys router and flashed the firmware. Its now a wireless bridge and its working perfectly.

I am so happy I didn't spend the cash on a usb dongle, Since I needed a solution by tomorrow for my new build.

Those temps are fine. The TJ max for that CPU is 105 degrees I believe, so if you're maxing out all cores in Prime 95 and the highest you're hitting is 70 degrees after the stress test has been left to run for a decent period of time then you're a fair way off the point where the chip would shut down/throttle to prevent damage. Cooler is better, obviously, but I wouldn't be concerned about those temps at all.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

demigod

Motherboard - $164.99 - Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Z77DDR3 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 HDMI CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70263&promoid=1019

CPU - $238.99 - Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70541&vpn=BX80637I53570K&manufacture=Others&promoid=1019

As you can see thats already $891.9 before tax :/ and I'm sure I'm missing a few things like an OS, keyboard / mouse. I tried to make this as organized and accessible to you guys as I could. Like I said i'm sort of an amateur when it comes to this stuff, so I could use some advice. Also, if I missed anything important let me know, and please do recommend something in my price range.

Wow $400 already for CPU+Mobo. Can't you find any place cheaper for i5 2500k+mobo and add a 7850 with it? How come NCIX charges tax for you anyways? No other online computer specialty stores that doesn't charge you tax?

Ledsen

Alright NeoGAF. I read the OP and I gave this a shot. I'm "sort of" a computer noob, so my friend is going to help me build this. But I thought I would run this buy you guys to see if GAF has any suggestions. btw; I live in Canada Used NCIX for all parts.

Like the guy above me said, scale way down on mobo and get a cheaper but equally good processor like the 2500k. Also consider just ditching the DVD unless you really need one. You say "maybe" on overclocking, but unless you want to do it right when you get the build, you can skip the 212 and get it later when you feel like OC:ing.

That should get you down in price and make room for OS and peripherals.

kamspy

What I have now:

AMD Phenom II 1100t @3.7Ghz, Q&C and TurboCore disabled
EVGA GTX 680 OC+
MSA 870 g54 mobo
8GB DDR3

I thinking of changing out the Thuban for an Ivy. Was looking at the 3570k and the ASUS ROG mATX Z77mobo. Definitely want to go Z77, just not sure if I need Ivy over a 2500k.

Is it a close enough call that I should buy whichever CPU is cheaper that day at Microcenter? Considering we're up around $400, is this even worth it? Will it make the game I can't max out maxable? Or will it just makes games I get 147fps in get me 177fps.

There are only a few games that CPU doesn't crush. anything Single Core optimized. It even eats BF3, which can make use of >70% of each 6 cores while playing. Maybe the Thuban will bear more fruit as games become more multithreaded? At least to the point that it's in the same tier as a SB? I dunno. What would be a fair asking price for my used CPU and Mobo you guys think? Try and recoup a little. idk if it's even worth it. There really aren't many games this comp doesn't shit all over.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Basic Desktop Questions:

Use PCPArtsPicker and see if you can get NCIX to price match any of your parts:

Other than that you can get this combo:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70561&vpn=2500K & Z77A-G43&manufacture=Bundle Deals
and this PSU
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=62331&vpn=VP450&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1305

If you want to save a bit or are dubious of the OCZ rebate coming through.
With regards to an OS. With Windows 8 coming out soon, is it a bad idea to just stick to the Windows 8 beta instead of Windows 7 for my new PC?
I hate Windows 8. So much. It's not a desktop OS to me. I feel gimped, not empowered when I use it. I don't need a full screen of apps when I want to search something or run a program.

If you can use it, go ahead.
what do you mean by gimped quad?
FX4100 functions like a slow dualcore with HT. AMD has a different approach to cores on Bulldozer architecture. Might be a fantastic choice, but speed per core just sucks.
I understand that. Take it this way, you remove the top 3 cages. You insert your HDD in one of the bottom two. Your modular PSU generally has it's ports centered on its the box. Notice then that this remaining HDD cage would get in the way of many if not most of these ports even if it is off center of the case.

I'm not trying to be a know-it-all just trying to make sure for mine and any other mini-ITX purchaser's sake
I was just commenting on that you could remove them, I'm sure you'll see some nice user photos soon :)
What I have now:

AMD Phenom II 1100t @3.7Ghz, Q&C and TurboCore disabled
EVGA GTX 680 OC+
MSA 870 g54 mobo
8GB DDR3

I thinking of changing out the Thuban for an Ivy. Was looking at the 3570k and the ASUS ROG mATX Z77mobo. Definitely want to go Z77, just not sure if I need Ivy over a 2500k.

Is it a close enough call that I should buy whichever CPU is cheaper that day at Microcenter? Considering we're up around $400, is this even worth it? Will it make the game I can't max out maxable? Or will it just makes games I get 147fps in get me 177fps.

There are only a few games that CPU doesn't crush. anything Single Core optimized. It even eats BF3, which can make use of >70% of each 6 cores while playing. Maybe the Thuban will bear more fruit as games become more multithreaded? At least to the point that it's in the same tier as a SB? I dunno. What would be a fair asking price for my used CPU and Mobo you guys think? Try and recoup a little. idk if it's even worth it. There really aren't many games this comp doesn't shit all over.
If you are getting good frames don't worry about it.
Sandy if you are going to overclock.

Fox1304

Is this a good time to buy a 2500k ? Or should I wait ? I'm not really up to date with processors, so I have no idea if any announcements or incoming products are around.
( it's an update mostly made to run Dolphin with the best settings, so if of course you have a better bang for buck in processor to suggest, I'm all ears )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom