• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC RaZaR

Neo Member
PC gaf, my body is ready.
Hopefully Ill have it mostly built by the weekend, but I'm not in much as rush as I don't even have a video card yet. Waiting out for the 7970 next week!

Since this is my first build ill ask just to be safe, I got a anti static wrist strap and one of these anti static mats to be extra safe, unfortunately the room I am going to assemble this in is fully carpeted, the work desk is wood though.
I was just going to attach those to the case but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the PSU needs to be installed and plugged into an outlet (but turned off obviously) in order for the case to be properly grounded, is this true? or will the case alone act fine?

The case alone should be enough for you to be properly grounded by touching it.

DDR (double data rate) actually means that speed is doubled, so it's 1066 RAM. Kind of surprising. You could just keep that RAM, but upgrading to 8GB 1333+ RAM would give you some slight improvements and shouldn't cost much. $30-$40, depending on what deals are going at the time. For reference it's not worth paying more for RAM faster than 1333, the difference between that and 1600 is minimal, and beyond that you won't see any improvements for gaming and normal usage.

I kinda disagree with one aspect of that. Its worth the extra $10 to buy better RAM. You can get 8 GB of low profile Corsair 1600 Mhz 9-9-9 RAM @ 1.35v (yes, even lower than 1.5v RAM) for only $50 on Amazon. That (to me) is worth the extra $10.

Of course, the $10-20 saved could be used on something nice like a HSF or Asus Xonar DG soundcard.

Hawk269

PC Gaf - What is the recommended SSD nowadays? I have 2 1TB HDD's right now and want to add an SSD to my system. I am looking for one that would be good to have the OS on it, Star Wars, Rift and basic programs etc. Stuff like Steam, Steam Games and my other games I want to use the regular HDD's.

So what would be a good size, brand to get that is also fast and reliable?

Thanks! I am looking to place an order next Friday, so any feedback would be appreciated.

1.35v RAM has been on sale for some time now, and we already have even lower voltage RAM than that.

PC Gaf - What is the recommended SSD nowadays? I have 2 1TB HDD's right now and want to add an SSD to my system. I am looking for one that would be good to have the OS on it, Star Wars, Rift and basic programs etc. Stuff like Steam, Steam Games and my other games I want to use the regular HDD's.

So what would be a good size, brand to get that is also fast and reliable?

Thanks! I am looking to place an order next Friday, so any feedback would be appreciated.
Look here. Disregard capacity-specific comments. Also, note Hazaro's OP update regarding Crucial M4s.

How is this build for £630 GAF?

L8hgNl.png

While I don't know if that includes VAT, or not, it seems a tad pricey. That's a lot, considering the CPU and GPU are the only things approaching high end, and the last two items are mostly there to just pad the list (though lots of companies do that type of added breakdown).

Clicking on the two links takes me to a blank neogaf page.
Really? That's odd. I don't see how.

In addition to some of the SSD discussion over the last 1-3 pages (check it out), Hazaro posted this in the OP news section: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/0x00000f4-error-on-M4-64GB/td-p/76392

On personal recommendations, apart from the Crucial M4 (above mentioned notice, and all), I linked to these comments I just made:

Samsung 830. 64GB ~$110.
Good performance from one of the only companies whose reliability has been Intel-like, or better. Alternatively, where performance and reliability/customer service are concerned: Intel 510, Corsair Force GT, Intel 320. 320 is the slowest of the lot.

If you had more time, the Intel 520 should be high on that list, but they're still working out the kinks.

Alright, a few more questions. Again, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Firstly, are graphic cards 1-size-fits-all in terms of plugging into the motherboard? As in, my PC's like a year or two old, the new GPU should fit into the port right? There aren't a bunch of connector sizes?

Secondly, the new card looks to have double the size of the back output panel thing (No idea what the name is).

PQCpU.jpg

So, how do I take these things off?

RPOI2.jpg

That's really vague. I know a screwdriver is apparently involved, but that's it. I don't see any screws outside or in around them. The only think I could see doing is removing the entire back frame, which would involve unscrewing the PSU, the fan, and whatever. How do I remove these things? And also, what the hell are they called, in case I need to look into it further.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
It just pops out, the screw drivers symbol is there meaning use one to wedge in the slit and wiggle it out, also what gpu are you getting?, what psu do you have?

Hey Guys, I'm seeking for a desktop. My budget is ~$800 (700-900) and I want a gaming machine that'll last for my couple years in high school. I've been told that www.ibuypower.com is a great place to buy parts and for them to assemble those parts for you.

Can anyone go to that website and give me a recommendation? Thanks!

theRizzle

Hey Guys, I'm seeking for a desktop. My budget is ~$800 (700-900) and I want a gaming machine that'll last for my couple years in high school. I've been told that www.ibuypower.com is a great place to buy parts and for them to assemble those parts for you.

Can anyone go to that website and give me a recommendation? Thanks!

Have you looked at the OP? Also, do you need a monitor?

JJBro One

Ok now another problem... My SSD is being recognized in the bios but not windows, and my HDD isn't being recognized by either one. When I first booted into the bios everything was recognized except the HDD. I went into windows and the ssd was recognized at this point. I exited and installed the motherboard driver disc. I didn't install anything I just took the cd out. After that the ssd was still being recognized but not in windows when I went to install it. I switched sata cables and sata position and still the same thing. If I update the bios will that help? What else could I do? 

knitoe

Ok now another problem... My SSD is being recognized in the bios but not windows, and my HDD isn't being recognized by either one. When I first booted into the bios everything was recognized except the HDD. I went into windows and the ssd was recognized at this point. I exited and installed the motherboard driver disc. I didn't install anything I just took the cd out. After that the ssd was still being recognized but not in windows when I went to install it. I switched sata cables and sata position and still the same thing. If I update the bios will that help? What else could I do? 

Make sure it's recognize in the bios. In Windows, go to Disk Management. Does it show up? If yes, you need to allocate and format it.

Garou

I don't think a 430 Watt PSU is enough. A power supply with atleast 500W is recommended by AMD.

A 6870 draws around 150Watts under load, since you have a quality PSU you should be fine.

I would guess you get around 80% out of the PSU, which would mean 344W and your usage under load would be:

Quad-core CPU: 95W
6870: 150W

which would leave around 100W for drives, etc. Should be fine!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
A 6870 draws around 150Watts under load, since you have a quality PSU you should be fine.

I would guess you get around 80% out of the PSU, which would mean 344W and your usage under load would be:

430W is continuous power and is the number AFTER the effciency is applied, aka the DC the computer uses. A 430W PSU can draw 550W from the wall.

Omiee

i want to buy 2 Western Digital Caviar GreenPower WD20EARS, 2TB and set them in raid 0

what will my speed be? because it rpm is 5400 i think.

will it double the speed, and match ssd speeds?

Gagaman

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but I'm looking to get a new laptop and I'm eyeing up two very similar ones with one major difference being the processor.

I'm a complete PC gaming newbie and only really need a moderately decent one, nothing super powerful, but enough to run something like Sonic Generations without a hiccup.

So which of these is better? Both laptops have 6GB of RAM, 64-bit Windows 7 etc.

Intel® Core™ i5-2430M processor (2.4 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)
or
AMD A8-3500M (2MB L2 cache) AMD Radeon HD 6620G Discreet-Class

Thanks!

Thrakier

How is this build for £630 GAF?

L8hgNl.png

Not very good imo. First of all, it seems pricey.

Instead of a 2GB 560 choose a 1GB 560TI!! 560 is way weaker. Don't buy! Get rid of the soundcard, you don't need it for normal usage (besides you are into editing or so, then I shut my mouth).

250GB isn't very much.

Get a brand power supply.

What's up with the network adapter? Why do you need that?

i want to buy 2 Western Digital Caviar GreenPower WD20EARS, 2TB and set them in raid 0

Based on other benchmarks I have seen, you basically get double the speed of your single HDD when set to RAID 0 (makes sense logically). So you will likely be getting around 220 MB/s read and nearly that in write. With the SSD you will get much higher read 500+ MB/s but comparable write speed with the RAID 0. You probably can get better sustained write with RAID 0 7200rpm drives over SSD but I don't think you can beat the read speeds of SSD's even with top end RAID 0 HDD arrays. This is just based off general knowledge and a quick search of some benchmarks. It is by no means a definitive answer.

Edit: The last gen of SSD's this was a much closer call to make but now that affordable SSD's are pushing the 500MB/s read write limits I don't think any consumer grade 7200rpm drive is going to match that in RAID 0.

Edit 2:If you are going to get a z68 chipset mobo you may want to consider putting a smaller SSD in SRT mode in front of a RAID 1 array of your 5400rpm drives. You get the SSD speeds via the SRT and parity with the RAID 1. I plan on going 128GB SSD for my OS and applications and then a 30GB SSD in front of a 1TB RAID 1 array.

MC RaZaR

Neo Member

430W is continuous power and is the number AFTER the effciency is applied, aka the DC the computer uses. A 430W PSU can draw 550W from the wall.

Thanks for clearing that up you two. I always knew that the quality of the PSU always comes into play as oppose to just relying on its listed watts. I just don't really know what the good models are.

FoolsRun

Sequential reads and writes will improve, but your seek time and latency (which are the two areas that SSDs excel at) won't change much. Most of the articles I've seen that tested RAID 0 in daily productivity and gaming are several years old, but they found relatively small improvements of less than 10%.

To be fair, I haven't seen that many improvements from installing games on an SSD versus a hard drive, either. Anti-virus scans are blazing quick, though.

Smokey

Was reading up on some 7970 benchmarks...the scaling on these in CrossFire is very impressive. So is the power draw. Guru3D review I read said for 2 of em they recommend a PSU of at least 750. And their test system had a previous gen i7 i believe, not SB which is more power efficient. That's pretty damn impressive.

mkenyon

Banned

Cav greens will fail you in a RAID array. RPM is supposedly different drive to drive. I had a few in a RAID 5 array, and it was totally buggy. Another friend had RAID 0, lost all of his data twice due to errors. Another friend *tried* to have them in RAID 1 and never ever got it working. We've all since switched to Spinpoints with 0 issues so far. On top of that, they are EXTREMELY unreliable, meaning it's only a matter of time before you lose all of your data when one of them fails.

If you want a RAID array, 0 is for speedy drives to make them speedier (for games), 1 is for redundancy (data).

As far as comparing them to SSD's, there's really no comparison. Even in the best possible test for mechanical HDDs (sequential), modern SSD's can be 4x faster. Random (what most of your HDD usage is) is so totally skewed in favor of SSD's, it's almost incomparable.

JesseZao

Just helped build a PC yesterday and ran into a problem with the motherboard not recognizing the video card being inserted. It's seated properly and doesn't show up in the device manager.

The video card is PCI Express 2.0 and the motherboard says it supports that for sandy bridge intel (he has an i5). Any ideas?

Video Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162088
Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

Edit: The LED turns on and the fan spins, so it's getting power. PSU is 550W

mkenyon

Banned
1. Is the device powered with all power plugs properly seated?

2. Which PCI-E slot is it installed in, and what slot does the motherboard manual suggest?

3. Have you checked BIOS to see if any of the expansion slots are disabled?

4. How can you be looking at device manager when the card isn't working? Assume you are getting video directly from the mobo? If this is the case, try booting with the onboard video disabled and the monitor plugged in to the video card.

JesseZao

1. Is the device powered with all power plugs properly seated?

2. Which PCI-E slot is it installed in, and what slot does the motherboard manual suggest?

3. Have you checked BIOS to see if any of the expansion slots are disabled?

4. How can you be looking at device manager when the card isn't working? Assume you are getting video directly from the mobo? If this is the case, try booting with the onboard video disabled and the monitor plugged in to the video card.

1. Both plugs installed via the adapters that came with the card.

2. It's in the recommended x16 slot

3. The expansion was enabled.

4. It's using onboard video. I looked in the BIOS, but it was pretty limited and I didn't see an option to disable onboard graphics.

I'll be able to see it again this weekend, to double check things. I hope we're just missing the section in the BIOS.

mkenyon

Banned
Possible issue Edit: It fits the PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot. Looking at the manual, the PCI-E 2.0 are x1 and would be too small. Is there backwards compatability with 3.0 x16 to 2.0 x16? If not, I guess he'll have to return it for a 3.0 x16 card. Just hope he doesn't need a new PSU for that.
PCI-E x8/16 slots are exactly the same from 1.0-3.0 and are backwards and forwards compatible.

What kind of PSU does he have? Does it have enough Amps on the 12V rail for the card?

Did you try plugging the monitor into the card when you powered on the machine?

mclaren777

ibosjfy6zAwthJ.jpg

I won the Corsair driving competition at PAX last year and they gave me tons of awesome stuff. In fact, it was much more than I needed and far more than I deserved.

I recently built a new computer, which means I'm still four years away from my typical upgrade cycle so I wanted to offer these items to the NeoGAF community at a reduced price.

Please send me a PM if you're interested, though I'm unlikely to be flexible on the asking prices unless you make a really compelling offer. And be forewarned: shipping prices can get a little spendy (up to $30 for the case) so it's probably best if you live on/near the West Coast.

http://www.corsair.com/products/

inTZAj6fQajbZ.png

Pictures from the event...
ibdh1B4iSnKZ2V.jpg

iM6w3lPZFlR7.jpg

mclaren777

I didn't know about that thread and I didn't see anything in the OP that prohibited selling stuff in here.

Should I delete/move my post or just leave it here? That thread seems more for video games and this is some serious uber-nerd hardware I'm trying to sell.

JesseZao

PCI-E x8/16 slots are exactly the same from 1.0-3.0 and are backwards and forwards compatible.

What kind of PSU does he have? Does it have enough Amps on the 12V rail for the card?

Did you try plugging the monitor into the card when you powered on the machine?

I googled/edited the BC part. That's good at least.

It's 550W. Min for card is listed 500W. I don't know how to check Amperes, but the card LED turns on and the fan spins, so it seems to be powered.

We tried booting with monitor plugged into the video card, but there wasn't a signal.

I'm going to see if a newer version of the BIOS is available and see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise, maybe the card is just a dud?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom