• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone help me find ~$100 monitor for my gf? It doesn't have to be amazing. But she will be playing games on it ect. ~20" prefer.

Anyone got any ideas? :) Thanks!

Madridy

How can I stop my 670 from downclocking when it reaches 70 degrees?

Also its not reaching the 1137 MHz speed shown on the box, stops at 1070 MHz

GPU: ASUS DCUII 670 TOP edition

mkenyon

Banned
How can I stop my 670 from downclocking when it reaches 70 degrees?

Also its not reaching the 1137 MHz speed shown on the box, stops at 1070 MHz

GPU: ASUS DCUII 670 TOP edition
You can't. You can change the fan profile to make the fans spin higher preventing it from getting to 70C though.

Seems abnormally high. Ambient temps? Case situation?

Sarcasm

Trying to extended internet at home. Supposedly all the outlets work according to the company but we can't manage to get it to work, next step would be a wireless bridge? Is there a router than can wirelessly bridge to LAN and wifi?

Main Router : AirPort Extreme to Said router wirelessly to create a bridge. That second router should be able to share it LAN & wifi..

such a thing?

Smokey

I cant get my 670 to go above 58 =/

And I'm not even overclocking yet

I noticed in your screen shots in the PC hi-res thread...doesn't seem like your GPU is running at 98-99% utilization in your pics (going by the Afterburner overlay). It should be, especially in Armored Kill. Do you have V-sync on?

iM96dIrb8bI2f.jpg

You're still getting 60fps though!

Madridy

You can't. You can change the fan profile to make the fans spin higher preventing it from getting to 70C though.

Seems abnormally high. Ambient temps? Case situation?

I see.

I was just stress testing my GPU using Furmark (100% load) to see if it was one of the faulty DCUII TOP edition ones. Thankfully it didn't crash yet :p

legacyzero

Banned
I noticed in your screen shots in the PC hi-res thread...doesn't seem like your GPU is running at 98-99% utilization in your pics (going by the Afterburner overlay). It should be, especially in Armored Kill. Do you have V-sync on?

http://i.minus.com/iM96dIrb8bI2f.jpg[/IMG

You're still getting 60fps though![/QUOTE]

Yep, Also, I'm only running at 1600x900 yet (as I haven't gotten my 1080 monitor yet) if that makes a difference.

And wait... Vsync LOWERS gpu performance? O.O

mkenyon

Banned
I see.

I was just stress testing my GPU using Furmark (100% load) to see if it was one of the faulty DCUII TOP edition ones. Thankfully it didn't crash yet :p
Oh. Don't use Furmark. It's so synthetic that it's basically meaningless.

If you want to cycle for extended stress tests use Uniengine Heaven on loop. Otherwise, 3DMark11 is a good 'un to use.

*edit* Smokey's answer is better.

Smokey

Yep, Also, I'm only running at 1600x900 yet (as I haven't gotten my 1080 monitor yet) if that makes a difference.

It doesn't lower it, it just locks your frame rate to the refresh rate of your monitor i.e. 60hz. If you have a powerful card it (potentially) doesn't have to work as hard to achieve that. That's why your temps are staying around 58c...it doesn't need to work harder than that to keep the game at 60fps at your current resolution.

Madridy

Oh. Don't use Furmark. It's so synthetic that it's basically meaningless.

If you want to cycle for extended stress tests use Uniengine Heaven on loop. Otherwise, 3DMark11 is a good 'un to use.

Thought so, while playing Skyrim at Ultra 1200p it was sitting at 55 degrees.

I Will start using 3DMark11 when I start OCing my system for benchmarking. :)

Thanks for the quick responses mk.

Thraktor

Not really. Let's say the GPU takes, on average, 8ms to render a frame. Without V-Sync, as soon as it's rendered a frame it starts rendering another frame, regardless of whether it actually gets displayed or not, so it renders at full tilt to output say 125fps, but only about half of them actually get displayed on a 60Hz monitor. With V-Sync on, it only renders frames in sync with the monitor, so after spending 8ms rendering the frame, it waits ~8.66ms, then renders the next, and soforth, keeping pace with the 60Hz of the monitor. Because of those idle periods between frames, the GPU would report that it's running at about 48% capacity, even though it's performing as well as it possibly can, given that it only needs to output frames every 16.66ms.

Edit: This was an unnecessarily complicated explanation. Listen to Smokey instead!

mkenyon

Banned
Just in case that was read in such a way, I deleted my answer to say Smokey's was better. I'm probably being over sensitive, just wanted to make sure you didn't think I meant it towards your awesome vsync essay. :p

Prologue

Ideally, if someone were to invest in a gtx 690, how long would it last if they constantly wanted high-ultra settings +30 fps?

2-3 years?

Smokey

Ideally, if someone were to invest in a gtx 690, how long would it last if they constantly wanted high-ultra settings +30 fps?

2-3 years?

At 1080p? I'd say MINIMUM of 3-4 years i'd say. 690 is tons more powerful than the new GPUs that will be in the next gen consoles so you'll be set for years especially if you don't mind not gaming at 60fps.

you'll be set for a very long time.

Thraktor

Just in case that was read in such a way, I deleted my answer to say Smokey's was better. I'm probably being over sensitive, just wanted to make sure you didn't think I meant it towards your awesome vsync essay. :p

I hadn't read it that way, but thanks for the consideration.

There's some fairly techy Haswell info from the Intel Developer forum here, if anyone's interested. It's mostly concerning energy efficiency and integrated graphics improvements, but there are a few tidbits about the improved FP performance of the AVX2 SIMD units and increased cache bandwidth, so some of you may be interested. Nothing about release timeframes, though.

Prologue

At 1080p? I'd say MINIMUM of 3-4 years i'd say. 690 is tons more powerful than the new GPUs that will be in the next gen consoles so you'll be set for years especially if you don't mind not gaming at 60fps.

you'll be set for a very long time.

60fps would be be 2-3 years max then I'm guessing?

Karmum

Banned
What's a good price to sell two GTX 460s? I mean, if anyone were to buy them...

Edit - The 1GB version, by the way. 1070-TR.

Xdrive05

I hadn't read it that way, but thanks for the consideration.

There's some fairly techy Haswell info from the Intel Developer forum here, if anyone's interested. It's mostly concerning energy efficiency and integrated graphics improvements, but there are a few tidbits about the improved FP performance of the AVX2 SIMD units and increased cache bandwidth, so some of you may be interested. Nothing about release timeframes, though.

Interesting. Thanks. I wonder if it will give a significant boost over Sandy/Ivy... Then again does it really need to? Intel can still get away with moderately incrementing at this point.

Smokey

60fps would be be 2-3 years max then I'm guessing?

A grand to only last that long is insanity to me.

Id lean closer to the 3+ years especially at 1080p. I'm just guessing but the 690 is very powerful and will be pretty far ahead of next gen stuff...which we know will still find their way to the PC.

Also when I say "last"...you could probably use the 690 for 6-8 years if you wanted to by reducing settings, and other stuff. People still use the 8800gt and that came out like 5-6 years ago.

mkenyon

Banned
A better way to go (and my system) is to have the high end card and sell it before the next gen hits, or right after. In the case of the 690, you only lose a fraction of the initial price, and then get to upgrade to the next insanely powerful card for only a few hundred.

Trying to justify the 690 based on how long it will perform up to par is silly on multiple accounts. For one, none of us has any solid idea of how long it will be a good performer. For two, spending high amounts of money is *never* a good way to stay on top of the GPU game. You spend $250-300 every two years or so. For example, GTX460 -> 660Ti -> 860Ti.

legacyzero

Banned
Since I got my new rig going, I need the firefox add-ons (namely the GAF Addon that makes my posts (and my posts of mine that Gaffers quote) turn green.

Does anybody have that?

Oozer3993

I need some help. So I got all the parts in for my PC, but I can't get it to work. Parts:

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w Power Supply
BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor G860 3.0 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB PCI-E Video Card (100315L)
Corsair XMS3 4 GB 1333MHz PC3-10666 240-pin DDR3 Memory Kit

I seated the CPU and the heatsink, the graphics card, and my 1 stick of RAM and attempted to boot it up while outside the case. The CPU and graphics card fans run for about a second, then stop and never start again. I get no signal on the monitor I have it hooked up to. I took out the graphics card and got the same result. The CPU fan stops after about a second and I never get a signal on the monitor. I don't have a motherboard speaker, so I can't use beeps to diagnose anything. Can anyone help me out? :(

Since I got my new rig going, I need the firefox add-ons (namely the GAF Addon that makes my posts (and my posts of mine that Gaffers quote) turn green.

Does anybody have that?

It's a user script. I think you need the GreaseMonkey extension.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/77218

so I have my 212+ coming tomorrow and i'll be opening this guy up again, wanted some recommendations if I should move my fans at all.

2012_09_09_13_27_38.jpg

Bottom Front (CM Fan that came w/ Case) : IN
Bottom Fan (Cables are behind, not on top of) : IN
Top Back : OUT
Top Top : OUT

1 CM Fan, rest are These

Thanks in advance!!

legacyzero

Banned
I tried this before and tried it again after inputting my username and it still doesn't work :(
Maybe just copy and paste this into the script? Worked for me the first time =/

/*
Copyright (c) 2010-2011 James Rodrigues

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages
arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software
in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be
appreciated but is not required.

2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
misrepresented as being the original software.

3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source
distribution.
*/

// ==UserScript==
// @name NeoGAF User Highlighter
// @namespace com.zombie.net
// @description Highlight user posts, quotes, and threads.
// @include http://www.neogaf.com/forum/*
// @include http://neogaf.com/forum*
//
// ==/UserScript==

// These two variables must be set!
//////////////////////////////////
var username = "Hazaro"; // <-- Your GAF username goes between the quotes.
var color = "#d6e9cc"; // <-- This is the highlight color.

// Options
var highlight_avatar_area = true;
var highlight_post_area = true;
var highlight_threads = true;
var highlight_quotes = true;
//
//
//
//
//
//
//
//
//
//
//
//
//
//

// Add jQuery
///////////////////////////////////////////////
var GM_JQ = document.createElement('script');
GM_JQ.src = 'http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.5.1/jquery.min.js';
GM_JQ.type = 'text/javascript';
document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(GM_JQ);
if (window.opera) unsafeWindow=window;

// Check if jQuery's loaded
function GM_wait()
{
if(typeof unsafeWindow.jQuery == 'undefined') { window.setTimeout(GM_wait,100); }
else { $ = unsafeWindow.jQuery; if(username.length > 0) execJQuery(); }
}

GM_wait();

// Execute
////////////////////////////////////////////////
function execJQuery()
{
// thanks to yeef @ neogaf
$.expr[":"].econtains = function(obj, index, meta, stack) {
return (obj.textContent || obj.innerText || $(obj).text() || "").toLowerCase() == meta[3].toLowerCase();
}

var path = window.location.pathname;

if((path.search("showpost") > 0) || (path.search("showthread") > 0))
{
var user = $(".bigusername:contains('" + username + "')");

if(highlight_avatar_area && highlight_post_area)
user.css('color', 'black').closest('tr').children().css('background-color', '' + color + '');
else
{

So all this talk of Haswell has me thinking Ivy Bridge may not be the optimal upgrade move, especially since it wasn't much of an update over Sandy and Intel got cheap with the thermal paste. So now I'm looking into a mini-upgrade to my E5200 + 4770 PC until next year just to tide me over. I've seen Q9300's going for around $100 on eBay and low-end video card options might open up after the 660 and 650 launch in a few days. Throw in a badly needed new case and I'm looking at around ~$300-350 (or less if I decide on not getting a case). What thinketh GAF?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So all this talk of Haswell has me thinking Ivy Bridge may not be the optimal upgrade move, especially since it wasn't much of an update over Sandy and Intel got cheap with the thermal paste. So now I'm looking into a mini-upgrade to my E5200 + 4770 PC until next year just to tide me over. I've seen Q9300's going for around $100 on eBay and low-end video card options might open up after the 660 and 650 launch in a few days. Throw in a badly needed new case and I'm looking at around ~$300-350 (or less if I decide on not getting a case). What thinketh GAF?

tick releases are always meh. Haswell looks to be reasonably faster than Sandy/Ivy, but may not be the jump we saw from Nehalem to Sandy. Intel seems to be focused on low power consumption. It's not clear how much faster Haswell is at integer math, but the chips have more cache, 2 ALUs per core (could be interesting), and improved branching prediction. I'm guessing 15-40% faster than Ivy.

Broadwell will be after Haswell and probably will also be meh.

People looking for new mobile devices...yeah definitely wait for Haswell. Runs on 10 fucking watts at Ivy Bridge speed. 10-20 hour battery life hybrids. I'm getting one next year.

tick releases are always meh. Haswell looks to be reasonably faster than Sandy/Ivy, but may not be the jump we saw from Nehalem to Sandy. Intel seems to be focused on low power consumption. It's not clear how much faster Haswell is at integer math, but the chips have more cache, 2 ALUs per core (could be interesting), and improved branching prediction. I'm guessing 15-40% faster than Ivy.

Broadwell will be after Haswell and probably will also be meh.

People looking for new mobile devices...yeah definitely wait for Haswell. Runs on 10 fucking watts at Ivy Bridge speed. 10-20 hour battery life hybrids. I'm getting one next year.

Plus Intel doesn't really have any competition, they don't need to improve anything really.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd say yes if Sandy/Ivy weren't already stupid powerful. The only time that these processors are a bottleneck are when engines aren't designed around using quad core or 8 threads. If anything, the new engines will only increase the lifespan.

You should take the plunge.
For people after a discrete HTPC case I think I've found just what you're looking for.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21438

And only $299 AU.
Oh Lian Li, you are so adorable.

I saw this in the Computex coverage, but I didn't think they were going to actually sell it.

Despite the craziness, stuff like this is why Lian Li is my all time favorite case maker.

Fantomex

So after doing exhaustive but fallible research (since I'm the one doing it) I narrowed it down to a EVGA GTX 570. Mind you I have a $300 budget and I wanted to stick with NVIDIA, and since I only have a Best Buy Card I have to go through that.

Any objections? I want to play BF3 and Witcher 2 on the best possible settings I can. I know Best Buy has slim pickins compared to newegg. So if you can please let me know your opinions, and thanks so much for giving me feedback :)

EVGA 570

Newegg Reviews

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So after doing exhaustive but fallible research (since I'm the one doing it) I narrowed it down to a EVGA GTX 570. Mind you I have a $300 budget and I wanted to stick with NVIDIA, and since I only have a Best Buy Card I have to go through that.

Any objections? I want to play BF3 and Witcher 2 on the best possible settings I can. I know Best Buy has slim pickins compared to newegg. So if you can please let me know your opinions, and thanks so much for giving me feedback :)

EVGA 570

Newegg Reviews
660Ti is far better.
Galaxy seems to have a better exhaust and a 3yr vs 1 yr warranty from PNY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom