• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingitiz

Anyone have some recommendations for case fans? I currently have 3 of these running, but even though they move a lot of air, they're really noisy.

Looking for a good balance of cooling and noise level preferably under $12 or so.

1-D_FTW

Well, I installed the drivers from the nvidia site and the same problem.

When I try to boot, it goes black during windows loading screen while I hear the startup sound from windows etc. My GPU is dead then?

Is it possible you bumped in out of the PCI slot (not all the way, but so it's ajar?)

Check inside. Don't push down on it until you've unplugged the computer though. You wouldn't want to push it back into the slot if it's getting power.

Anyone have some recommendations for case fans? I currently have 3 of these running, but even though they move a lot of air, they're really noisy.

Looking for a good balance of cooling and noise level preferably under $12 or so.

75 CFM? Even if the bearings were silent, the turbulence from that much air would cause a racket. You can't throttle them down in your bios?

Ryan_

Is it possible you bumped into out of the PCI slot (not all the way, but so it's ajar?)

Check inside. Don't push down on it until you've unplugged the computer though. You wouldn't want to push it back into the slot if it's getting power.

I removed it, put it back in, but to no avail, it's gone. I'm gonna call the site tomorrow hoping to get a replacement.

1-D_FTW

I removed it, put it back in, but to no avail, it's gone. I'm gonna call the site tomorrow hoping to get a replacement.

Just don't tell them what happened. Tell them it worked for a little bit, and it suddenly went all bad. Unless you have some strict ethics. But understand if you do, nobody would cover it. Not even RMA.

NZNova

OK so here's a question, I don't know if this is the right thread but it seems like a good fit, hopefully someone here can help me.

I have a 3-monitor setup at home, and two GTX670s in SLI. Right now, I have 2 monitors connected to one card via DVI and the last monitor connected to the other card via DVI. This works fine for surround, but when I use the "maximise 3D performance" setting to use SLI for a single display, the monitor connected to the second card switches off since that adapter's being used purely for SLI at that point.

If I connect the last monitor to the first card with Display Port, all three monitors stay on when I select maximise 3D performance, but if I connect them that way I can no longer use Surround mode because it tells me my third monitor won't be used.

My question is, if I buy a Display Port -> DVI adapter, will I be able to have all three monitors connected to a single card via DVI so I can have all three enabled in maximise performance mode but be able to switch to surround mode for games that work with it without having to dick around switching connectors around?

I've been reading the following page which gave me the idea to try this, but it's talking about a 680, and about 3D Vision Surround. Annoyingly, when I had a single 670, Surround worked fine with two DVI connectors and one Display Port...

http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guides/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround/#1

Ryan_

Just don't tell them what happened. Tell them it worked for a little bit, and it suddenly went all bad. Unless you have some strict ethics. But understand if you do, nobody would cover it. Not even RMA.

Ok, I'll just tell them that it suddenly went bad. Thanks for the help tho :)

Mrbob

Thanks for the storage suggestions. Ended up getting a 256GB crucial M4 SSD. I'll keep my existing 1.5 TB mechanical drive for bigger storage.

It's been awhile since I've used multiple storage units in a system, so I'm trying to figure out how most efficiently to set up Windows 7 on the SSD. Here is what I'm thinking about doing....let me know if I missing something.

1) Unplug current hdd, set up ssd.

2) Install Windows 7 fresh on SSD

3) Plug mechanical drive back in as a secondary drive, transfer what I want to keep onto SSD

4) Wipe mechanical drive to be used as storage

Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks again.

Lingitiz

75 CFM? Even if the bearings were silent, the turbulence from that much air would cause a racket. You can't throttle them down in your bios?

I actually have them turned down to about half speed with my fan controller but its still too loud. I'm moving in with a roommate soon so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of cooling to get the noise down.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214029 These don't look half bad, nice air flow and at about half the noise level. I don't know much about the brand though.

mkenyon

Banned

BitFenix Spectre Pros are on sale on NCIX US for $8 a piece right now.
Jumped onto a 212+, an 830 SSD and some Kingston ram.

Do I need an adapter of some sort to install the SSD into a case? I see a bunch of adapters being sold. Any suggestions for something cheap.

Edit 2: I bought the drive not the install kit version, so I still need a bracket I guess. Any suggestions?
Double sided mounting tape. Put it anywhere, even on the backside of the motherboard tray.
Well, I installed the drivers from the nvidia site and the same problem.

When I try to boot, it goes black during windows loading screen while I hear the startup sound from windows etc. My GPU is dead then?
Have you disabled your onboard video in BIOS?

MrBig

Yeah, the AF quiet edition would be the one to get.

Ordered, guess I'll just get some washers if it still has the whine

As a side note I fucking hate the securecode thing mastercard has for newegg and some other sides. Makes me paranoid that it always comes up and asks me to go through a third party to pay for things, even though it's not required.

Ryan_

BitFenix Spectre Pros are on sale on NCIX US for $8 a piece right now.

Double sided mounting tape. Put it anywhere, even on the backside of the motherboard tray.

Have you disabled your onboard video in BIOS?

I haven't but that wasn't an issue the first time I formatted and installed it.

It happened like this:

I received the parts yesterday, built it and formatted it and it worked like charm. Even played a bit of BF3 etc. I did not have to disable my onboard GPU.

So my friend comes by today to admire my new PC and asks me to show The Witcher 2, so what I do is, I take my HD from my old PC with The Witcher and some other games but ALSO Windows 7 installed and open up my new PC and hook it up to a SATA, while accidentally very lightly touching the cooler of my GPU. Not the card itself mind you! That was miles away.

So I want to boot it up and suddenly my mobo load up screen doesn't fit my physical screen anymore and my mobo set up is totally twisted in terms of visuals.
It does go up to a windows loading screen but whenever it should normally show my desktop, it just goes black and my screen loses the signal from the PC. However, I still hear the startup sound etc. So the system does still work.

So I guess it's my GPU that is fried for some stupid reason? Or perhaps something with the two HD's?
I tried to reformat and reinstall the drivers, nothing worked.
I took it out and put it back in, that also didn't work.

The automatic GPu detection stuff on the nvidia site did however still recognize my gpu.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Thanks for the storage suggestions. Ended up getting a 256GB crucial M4 SSD drive. I'll keep my existing 1.5 TB mechanical drive for bigger storage.

It's been awhile since I've used multiple storage units in a system, so I'm trying to figure out how most efficiently to set up Windows 7 on the SSD. Here is what I'm thinking about doing....let me know if I missing something.

1) Unplug current hdd, set up ssd.

2) Install Windows 7 fresh on SSD

3) Plug mechanical drive back in as a secondary drive, transfer what I want to keep onto SSD

4) Wipe mechanical drive to be used as storage

Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks again.

That's basically what I did, it's worked so far.

mkenyon

Banned
I haven't but that wasn't an issue the first time I formatted and installed it.

It happened like this:

I received the parts yesterday, built it and formatted it and it worked like charm. Even played a bit of BF3 etc. I did not have to disable my onboard GPU.

So my friend comes by today to admire my new PC and asks me to show The Witcher 2, so what I do is, I take my HD from my old PC with The Witcher and some other games but ALSO Windows 7 installed and open up my new PC and hook it up to a SATA, while accidentally very lightly touching the cooler of my GPU. Not the card itself mind you! That was miles away.

So I want to boot it up and suddenly my mobo load up screen doesn't fit my physical screen anymore and my mobo set up is totally twisted in terms of visuals.
It does go up to a windows loading screen but whenever it should normally show my desktop, it just goes black and my screen loses the signal from the PC. However, I still hear the startup sound etc. So the system does still work.

So I guess it's my GPU that is fried for some stupid reason? Or perhaps something with the two HD's?
I tried to reformat and reinstall the drivers, nothing worked.
I took it out and put it back in, that also didn't work.

The automatic GPu detection stuff on the nvidia site did however still recognize my gpu.
Occam's razor says you may have bumped a power cord or some such thing.

Step 1) remove the card from your PC
Step 2) Reseat it and plug it back in, making sure all power cords are connected to both the PSU and the card.
Step 3) Disable onboard in BIOS
Step 4) Use onboard to perform a clean driver install.

Only proceed to step 4 if the other stuff hasn't worked.

Protome

Just built my PC, guys!
I thought since you all helped me decide on the parts you might want to know how my first build went.
Well, everything was straight forward. Building PCs is super goddamn easy, I dont see why everyone doesn't do it.
The only issue I had was I didn't understand why there was a 4 pin power input on my motherboard and no 4-pin power out on my PSU. Turns out there was an 8-pin which split in half, oops!
Once that was dealt with everything was fine. Haven't installed windows or anything yet, so there's still room for everything to be broken, but initially it SEEMS to be fine!

Ryan_

Occam's razor says you may have bumped a power cord or some such thing.

Step 1) remove the card from your PC
Step 2) Reseat it and plug it back in, making sure all power cords are connected to both the PSU and the card.
Step 3) Disable onboard in BIOS
Step 4) Use onboard to perform a clean driver install.

Only proceed to step 4 if the other stuff hasn't worked.

Thanks for the advice, however, I think it was disabled by default. Switching both integrated and dedicated on ( Multi-monitor) didn't help and choosing Integrated Graphics Display as the Initiated Graphics Display instead of the PCI-Express Graphics Device resulted in no screen whatsoever, no motherboard boot screen, no loading screen, nothing. So either it's up to the windows loading screen with the PEG or nothing with the IGD. The strange thing is that it was perfectly fine during the whole reformatting, untill I installed the nvidia drivers and had to restart the problem started appearing again.

Then rests me one question to ask, if it really is the GPU, why ismy mobo load screen to big for my screen since the problem started and is my mobo setup menu all fucked and mess up?

Finally got my SSD running after fixing MBR. Holy shniiiiiiiiiiiitttt!

Transferring over Sleeping Dogs to play at much faster speed. Steam mover is going to be my best friend.

Exuro

Hey guys, was wondering if this was a good deal. $80 for this SSD. In a local ad. I did something that messed up my computer a bit and I want to reformat it so I figured I'd check out SSD prices since I'd like to move my OS to one and put everything else on the 640gb drive.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys, was wondering if this was a good deal. $80 for this SSD. In a local ad. I did something that messed up my computer a bit and I want to reformat it so I figured I'd check out SSD prices since I'd like to move my OS to one and put everything else on the 640gb drive.
There's some better options out there, like the Samsung 830 128GB for $90 on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...112-_-EMC-091112-Index-_-SSD-_-20147163-L018A
Promo code: EMCNAJJ58

If you're not wanting to wait for shipping, then the intel you linked is not a bad deal.

Babalu.

Can anyone tell me if I have any conflicts or missing something for my Build? Or any suggestions if I should change something? The computer is for gaming and some video editing. I want to play BF3 and such in ultra with 60fps.

CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K
GPU - GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 670 Windforce 2gb
MOTHERBOARD - ASRock Z77 Extreme6
MEMORY - G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1866
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB
SSD - Crucial 128 GB m4
PSU - Corsair AX750
COOLER - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
CASE - Cooler Master HAF X
DVD - ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

I have an asus monitor that is 1680x1050. Is that going to be a problem? Should I just get a higher res monitor? If so, any recommendations under $250. Maybe a 27 inch? LCD? LED Backlit? 8ms, 5ms 2ms?? Will i feel or see any difference in BF3 or other games like that?

Thanks for any input.

Ok so I ordered and finally got all my parts late at night. I started putting it together and I'm concerned about something.

I'm trying to lock in the tension arm for the casing that holds in the CPU in the Motherboard. Should I be applying a lot of pressure? It's pressure to the point where it's making tiny marks on the top of the CPU.

I'm watching the Newegg How To video and the guy seemed to fit in in very easily. I'm working with an i5 3570k and an Asus P8Z77-V mobo.

Edit - watched a similar mobo unboxing video, and the guy seemed to put a lot of force in as well. I locked it in now so hopefully it'll be fine.

kafiend

Thanks for the advice, however, I think it was disabled by default. Switching both integrated and dedicated on ( Multi-monitor) didn't help and choosing Integrated Graphics Display as the Initiated Graphics Display instead of the PCI-Express Graphics Device resulted in no screen whatsoever, no motherboard boot screen, no loading screen, nothing. So either it's up to the windows loading screen with the PEG or nothing with the IGD. The strange thing is that it was perfectly fine during the whole reformatting, untill I installed the nvidia drivers and had to restart the problem started appearing again.

Then rests me one question to ask, if it really is the GPU, why ismy mobo load screen to big for my screen since the problem started and is my mobo setup menu all fucked and mess up?

Are you sure its not your monitor needing to be reset. See if you can find an auto adjust button for the monitor. If its other places than the bios screen itself where its oversized you might be able to hit pause/break key to pause the boot process and then auto adjust the monitor.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
More AMD GPU price cuts on the way

http://www.techpowerup.com/172097/A...ound-of-Radeon-HD-7000-Series-Price-Cuts.html

Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition - starts at $430
Radeon HD 7970 standard - starts at $410
Radeon HD 7950 Boost - starts at $300
Radeon HD 7950 standard - starts at $290
Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition - starts at $240
Radeon HD 7850 2 GB - starts at $200

Sons of bitches! After I just bought a 7850 last week.

A couple of questions that went unanswered before, just curious:

Would a case fan on the top be better than at the back when the back is like 4 inches away from a wall?
My Spinpoint F3 1TB Is kinda noisy, is this at all normal?

SLV

Guys i need some advice, i got myself that samsung 830, 256 gb ssd. I did a fresh install, in that samsung magician all the things are green and yes, which are applicable to me that is.

Now the issue i am having is, in every game, and game only. I get a 1 second stutter every 30 seconds. In some games it is only sound, in others you can feel it in direct game play. Now what could be the issue ? Problem showed up after i installed the SSD. Games are on the said SSD.

Some pics, that might help.

zpvNm.png

Qeg6p.png

Now, i get the suggested speeds, everything is fine in that department(i think?).

T90Vt.png

The settings in the upper pics were present at the time of the test.
Anyone got any ideas, i tried googling, but without much luck :/

BTW, the drive is not supposedly in AHCI mode, but in raid, but as far as i understand, drives that are not within a raid massive get AHCI mode automatically ?

P.S. Couldn't find that gaf pc troubleshooting thread, so asking here.

mkenyon

Banned
Sons of bitches! After I just bought a 7850 last week.

A couple of questions that went unanswered before, just curious:

Would a case fan on the top be better than at the back when the back is like 4 inches away from a wall?
My Spinpoint F3 1TB Is kinda noisy, is this at all normal?
The fan placement doesn't really matter.

The F3s can be noisy depending on the quality of the mounting system.
Great, hopefully it will run the next metro game with atleast 30fps
Up those standards! 120fps!

Anyone got any ideas about my previous post ? ;_;

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/280688-14-stuttering-jerkiness

Quick scan of that seems to indicate the problem is AHCI mode. There's a reason most people recommend installing fresh rather than transferring over a windows install (not sure this applies to you, it's just a good measure to take).

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678015

This suggests its possibly a controller problem, but I have the exact same drive (256GB 830) and it works flawlessly.

And one last thread with a solution I think should hopefully work:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1282350/...tering-and-freezing-with-pc-only-while-gaming

SLV

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/280688-14-stuttering-jerkiness

Quick scan of that seems to indicate the problem is AHCI mode. There's a reason most people recommend installing fresh rather than transferring over a windows install (not sure this applies to you, it's just a good measure to take).

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678015

This suggests its possibly a controller problem, but I have the exact same drive (256GB 830) and it works flawlessly.

And one last thread with a solution I think should hopefully work:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1282350/...tering-and-freezing-with-pc-only-while-gaming

It was a fresh install, p67p8 rev 3.0 asus mobo, on a intel sata 3 port.
But do i really have a choice if i got 4 existing drives in sata 10, that contain files and stuff ?

Violater

You will, I noticed a massive difference going to a 7850 so I can't see you not being impressed by a 670.

My old 5770 had been making a lot of noise lately and I just got tired of it. originally I wanted to go with the Asus version of the 670 but this deal popped up and I said what the heck.

mkenyon

Banned
It was a fresh install, p67p8 rev 3.0 asus mobo, on a intel sata 3 port.
But do i really have a choice if i got 4 existing drives in sata 10, that contain files and stuff ?
I'd actually suggest putting the SSD on the other controller, so you can then put it in AHCI mode.

Fou-Lu

The final parts for my build are on the delivery truck, but neither I nor my roommates will be home at the usual 3-4pm delivery time. NoooOOOooooOOO! I don't want to wait another day!

mkenyon

Banned
People tend to say that putting stuff on the marvel sata 3 controller is the worst thing you can do...
It'll run slower, but its worth a shot if it means no more freezes. The other option would be getting a separate RAID card for your RAID10 array.

cametall

Decided to return my Sapphire 7950 Vapor X and get the Sapphire 7950 OC edition.

It appears that new "boost mode" on some of these cards does something screwy with voltage settings, causing them to reset unless forced to operate at the increased voltage at all times.

question : how long do you guys usually run prime95 to make ensure everything is running correctly?

Just installed the new heatsink and want to make sure installation was 'successful' (temp wise)

I ran it overnight on my OC.

thanks for the quick response.

sooo if i started Prime95 over lunch (2.5 hours ago) and just now remember when i'm back at work, i should be ok? I ran for about 15 minutes yesterday and temps just touched 70*C.

I can head home and check if it's an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom