• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this normal?
Yes, because you have "show processes from all users" selected. This is going to include Windows as a user, any sort of media sharing (which Windows attributes to a separate user account), and anyone else logged in. Uncheck that box for piece of mind.

mkenyon

Banned
Is a 660ti going to be a worthy upgrade from a 6950? Current setup is a 3930k, Rampage IV Formula, 16GB RAM. I am looking for something to get more performance out of WoW, in preparation for Mists of Pandaria.
Nope. How are you not already destroying that game in terms of performance? Do you have an SSD?
Slightly OT, but I don't know where else to put it: with a fresh installation of Windows 7, I have about 50 processes that starts at startup. I've boiled it down to 39 via services.msc/autoruns but I still think it's too much considering my previous PC had about 15 IIRC.

Is this normal? Can I do anything about it? How many do you guys have?
Normal. There are some RegEdit things you can run to cut them down, but there's a fair number of them that are related to services that people take for granted. For example, for windows to detect when you plug in a usb thumb drive, there is a process running that is constantly checking to see if one is plugged in at a given moment.

Nope. How are you not already destroying that game in terms of performance? Do you have an SSD?
WoW is installed on an Intel 520 180GB SSD, while Windows is on a 64GB Corsair M4. WoW has had a number of changes to its graphical engine in recent history, with shadows being the major performance killer. I am not running a steady 60fps in WoW, particularly in home cities and other areas with lots of shadows. This is with all settings set to "Ultra" (only 2x MSAA) and I would like to resolve this.

Yes, because you have "show processes from all users" selected. This is going to include Windows as a user, any sort of media sharing (which Windows attributes to a separate user account), and anyone else logged in. Uncheck that box for piece of mind.

Oh, how could I miss that. Thanks!

Normal. There are some RegEdit things you can run to cut them down, but there's a fair number of them that are related to services that people take for granted. For example, for windows to detect when you plug in a usb thumb drive, there is a process running that is constantly checking to see if one is plugged in at a given moment.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I never use things like Windows Search though so I'll probably just disable it if there's no downside to it.

mkenyon

Banned
WoW is installed on an Intel 520 180GB SSD, while Windows is on a 64GB Corsair M4. WoW has had a number of changes to its graphical engine in recent history, with shadows being the major performance killer. I am not running a steady 60fps in WoW, particularly in home cities and other areas with lots of shadows. This is with all settings set to "Ultra" (only 2x MSAA) and I would like to resolve this.
How much do you want to spend to fix the problem? Also, what is your 3930K currently running at? WoW isn't n-threaded, so it'll benefit from higher clock speeds.

When looking at video cards, don't consider price:performance. You want to look at 'price:gained performance'. 670 or 7950/7970 is where I would start if I were in your shoes.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I never use things like Windows Search though so I'll probably just disable it if there's no downside to it.
Oh man, Windows search is soooooooo good. It basically eliminates the need for using any sort of GUI navigation. Windows Key -> type in part of what you want -> enter.

How much do you want to spend to fix the problem? Also, what is your 3930K currently running at? WoW isn't n-threaded, so it'll benefit from higher clock speeds.
I've the 3930k OC'd to 4125MHz.

I want to spend no more than $300. The 660Ti seems to take top honors in benchmarks, compared against the 7950. Though, again, the question is how much of an improvement will I see going from a 6950 to a 660Ti? $300 for a nominal upgrade may mean just simply waiting until another product cycle comes around.

Cronox

Banned
Hey guys, just bought all the parts for my computer upgrade, but as I was reading up on how to fix my old Scythe 1900rpm case fans (they've been making an annoying buzz) I came across reviews for them saying they had low "static pressure" and would be better for exhaust than intake through a filter.

So what would be a good high static pressure intake fan? I'm working with a case that has 1 intake fan and 5 exhaust, so I wonder if that could make a big difference. These are all 120mm.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys, just bought all the parts for my computer upgrade, but as I was reading up on how to fix my old Scythe 1900rpm case fans (they've been making an annoying buzz) I came across reviews for them saying they had low "static pressure" and would be better for exhaust than intake through a filter.

So what would be a good high static pressure intake fan? I'm working with a case that has 1 intake fan and 5 exhaust, so I wonder if that could make a big difference. These are all 120mm.
That's no good. You want positive pressure for good temps. What's an acceptable price for a fan? Low end of good static pressure would be a BitFenix Spectre Pro, high end would be a Scythe GT or Corsair SP.

Static pressure is more important when you're talking about radiators and heatsinks, CFM is a much more important stat for case airflow. Static pressure does indeed help when it's hindered by a filter or a HDD cage though.

I want to spend no more than $300. The 660Ti seems to take top honors in benchmarks, compared against the 7950. Though, again, the question is how much of an improvement will I see going from a 6950 to a 660Ti? $300 for a nominal upgrade may mean just simply waiting until another product cycle comes around.
Try taking your CPU to the 4.5-4.8 range, and overclock your 6950. You could also look at getting a second 6950. They sell for about $130-160 used. Crossfire requires using your own custom profiles for a number of games, but it should work really well in WoW.

Oxn

WTF I have lower specs than you do 3570k, 6870amd, and 8 gigs of ram

And I get over 100fps in SW. Everything maxed.

Over 120fps in AV. What is your problem?

mkenyon

Banned
I was wondering the same thing, but I haven't played WoW in a fairly long time. Figured the graphics updates were more substantial.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I walked by an electronics recycling place yesterday and sitting in the parking lot was one of those legendary xbr televisions from about a decade ago. Not the gdmfw900, but an actual television. Its majesty got me thinking... I kind of want to buy this to use for my computer. lol. I'm so close to being done purchasing all the parts, but have truly lost my way deciding what type of display to use. I figure 50bucks and a tank of gas would be worth it even if I only end up keeping it for a month or two before I decide on a "real" display solution. I already have a 6 year old sharp aquos that was really nice at the time. But it feels kind of sad to hook a brand new computer up to such a sad dim display. What do you think? Should I do it? How awesome would that be?

mkenyon

Banned
So I walked by an electronics recycling place yesterday and sitting in the parking lot was one of those legendary xbr televisions from about a decade ago. Not the gdmfw900, but an actual television. Its majesty got me thinking... I kind of want to buy this to use for my computer. lol. I'm so close to being done purchasing all the parts, but have truly lost my way deciding what type of display to use. I figure 50bucks and a tank of gas would be worth it even if I only end up keeping it for a month or two before I decide on a "real" display solution. I already have a 6 year old sharp aquos that was really nice at the time. But it feels kind of sad to hook a brand new computer up to such a sad dim display. What do you think? Should I do it? How awesome would that be?
Not to entice you too much, but: http://www.overclock.net/t/1220962/vegas-heavyweight-display-and-computer-edition-2012

I still say 120hz over anything.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
wait so that's like a 130 page thread.. did he pull it off?

When your concern is maintaining good airflow without too much noise, fans are vastly more important than the actual case. With a great set of fans, that would run cooler in a mATX case than it would in a big tower with passable fans.

I think I get where you are going in terms of aesthetics, so my short list for you: Shinobi XL, Fractal Arc, Define R4, Lian Li PC-90 (consistently on sale for $100 or so), and *maybe* the Ghost. I only say maybe as I'm hesitent to recommend anything I haven't played with myself.

For fans, BitFenix Spectre Pros, Corsair AF Quiet Edition (my new favorite fans), Noiseblockers, or Noctuas. With some of the cases listed above (Fractal and BitFenix) you can get away with adding a few fans while retaining the stock ones. I think the R4 is the first case where I have actually done that in years.

Thanks for this. I'm using a CM 690 (old version) with my current build and actually have a lot of aftermarket fans I'm using with it -- Scythe Gentle Typhoon and Slipstream of various speeds. I also have a fan controller. So I think I should be able to get a fan setup that's pretty quiet and also moves a fair amount of air.

PC-90 is what I was originally looking at but I'm in Australia and can't find it under $200 :( The Bitfenix cases worry me a bit because of the front chassis covering the front fans -- I've seen some reviews saying the temps of the Shinobi XL are not that great because of that. Similarly with the door on the Define R4. So at this stage it's looking like I may just have to shell out for a Lian Li, though I'll wait for some reviews of the Ghost and have another look at the Fractal cases too.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for this. I'm using a CM 690 (old version) with my current build and actually have a lot of aftermarket fans I'm using with it -- Scythe Gentle Typhoon and Slipstream of various speeds. I also have a fan controller. So I think I should be able to get a fan setup that's pretty quiet and also moves a fair amount of air.

PC-90 is what I was originally looking at but I'm in Australia and can't find it under $200 :( The Bitfenix cases worry me a bit because of the front chassis covering the front fans -- I've seen some reviews saying the temps of the Shinobi XL are not that great because of that. Similarly with the door on the Define R4. So at this stage it's looking like I may just have to shell out for a Lian Li, though I'll wait for some reviews of the Ghost and have another look at the Fractal cases too.
Here's what I did with my Shinobi XL. The front and top panel both have a number of tabs that serve only to strengthen the actual panel. It's a negligible difference with the tabs removed, and it doesn't really matter when the whole thing is riveted to the chassis and in place.

Remove this whole thing

cPZLml.jpg

and these tabs

zYey4l.jpg

Left with this

3baRVl.jpg

Using a total of 4 Spectre Pro's in push pull on a front 240mm radiator, and they certainly don't seem to be at a loss for air. There's a lot of space for air to get through between the sides and the bottom of the front panel. The bad reviews are because the only front intake fan is a 230mm Spectre (non pro) which has horrible CFM and pressure ratings. It's a silent fan, not a performance fan.

Read more about it in my build log.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
*edit* To be clear, it was because he couldn't push pixels at the higher resolution at 120FPS with quad 680s.
That's actually why I'm not too excited about 120hz.. Sure it will be sweet in some instances, but I know I'm not going to be able to run next years hottest titles at that frame rate with this years computer. And I don't want to be obsessive about keeping my rig state of the art. So it seems like I should just go for the display with the best picture and keep everything locked st 60fps.

mkenyon

Banned
That's actually why I'm not too excited about 120hz.. Sure it will be sweet in some instances, but I know I'm not going to be able to run next years hottest titles at that frame rate with this years computer. And I don't want to be obsessive about keeping my rig state of the art. So it seems like I should just go for the display with the best picture and keep everything locked st 60fps.
No no, I meant, he couldn't keep games at a steady framerate at 7680x4320 running 120hz/fps. There are very few games that can't be tweaked to run at 120fps on an i5 + 670. I'm not huge on all the bells and whistles in graphics settings though. I'll take smooth 120fps over slightly different looking shadows.
I have a 6870, should I buy a 660 ti or wait 4 months for HD8950?
Up to you. It's not a huge upgrade, but it's not insignificant either.

Here's what I did with my Shinobi XL.

Oh, okay, I didn't think of that -- it looks like I could just remove the big front fan and replace it with a few smaller fans that might be better. Or, for the amount I save, I could probably just buy some better, bigger fans! I'll have a look around and see what I can find.

mkenyon

Banned
IMO, there's no reason to go outside of 120mm fans. The advancement in tech there is huge compared to choices at 140mm+. With the right fans, you can always get better CFM, lower dB, and higher static pressure with 120mm fans.

So I just installed an SSD and now my monitor gets no signal from the computer. It was fine right before that. Could I have fried the mobo or the video card?
Check all of your internal plugs. Reseat the video card. Make sure your DVI/DP/VGA/HDMI cord is plugged in to the back of the videocard.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Does a card like the asus dcii or msi lighning xtreme have a lower chance of having coil whine since it has better components?

mkenyon

Banned
I've never seen any sort of decent research or hard data that points one way or another. Any sort of evidence one way or another on this is going to be anecdotal.

I have read that making sure you are getting 'clean' power to your computer via a good power cord and UPS can help. I've personally experienced a change in coil whine just by switching my display cables.

It's actually the very thing that has me constantly thinking about selling my 690. Thing squeals like a pig under load.

stn

I have a pretty powerful laptop. When I run games it obviously works harder than something like simple web browsing. Should I be worried about over-heating at all, and if so, is there anything I can do to alleviate the circumstances?

Thanks!

stn

Thanks, will look into that. Should I be worried if I game the next few days? I've never used it for gaming yet.

mkenyon

Banned
Probably not. There's a laptop thread, link to it is the first one in the OP. The guys in there are way more knowledgeable about this sort of stuff, so don't take my word for it.

ss_lemonade

Leaf Blower is okay if you do it from 10+ feet, and vacuum is okay as long as you never touch any PCB or anything that carries voltage. If you slip and accidently hit your mobo, there is a chance it could fry.

Best is to use a can of compressed air (or the DataVac Duster which is a mini air compressor), Isopropyl Alcohol, and some cotton swabs.
Wait, I just thought of something. Will an airbed pump work fine too? I think we still have one laying around somewhere

Violater

Quick gaf, I'm sure this has been said before, but what is a good monitoring software for my gigabyte 670? similar to evga's percision or amd catalyst?

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I was finally assembling the new PC last night, and I think the motherboard is a dud.

Bah, now to jump through the RMA hoops.

It's ALIVE!!

20120917_184020.jpg

I have to admit, it was my own fault for it not booting. Glad I went back with a fresh head and open mind to any mistakes and I didn't just rashly RMA the thing.

I had an extra motherboard support pin installed where there is no screw on the board, which was grounding it. Glad I figured it out. Now to the rest of the parts. I'll temporarily have a ATI 4650 driving my monitor, I am curious to see whether I can play anything with it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It's actually the very thing that has me constantly thinking about selling my 690. Thing squeals like a pig under load.

And after you went through all the trouble of water-cooling it due to fan noise :(
What would you replace it with if you sold it?

Sibylus

Banned
So I've been throwing together an economical-yet-future-proofy build to replace my aged 2005 off the shelf PC with, the one I've kinda dragged into the semi-future with some odd upgrades.

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/hNsG

Carrover parts:

- Rosewill 500W PSU
- Radeon HD 5770
- Friend's RAM (4x2 GBs)

Questions:

- The motherboard, is there anything more economical?
- Ditto the case.
- Ditto the monitor. I'm on a 19" monitor at the moment, 1440x900.
- Ditto the mouse. Mine is dying, and I'd like an affordable mouse with good sensitivity both for gaming and use in game tools (map editors, etc). An extra button or two is a plus, though sensitivity is my main concern here.
- Cost savings in general. Where there's a penny to pinch without compromising the future-proofiness of it, I'm looking to pinch it.

mkenyon

Banned
Pair of 670s probably. I don't know what it is, but I'm smitten with the tiny PCB and block.

razorgtx670-2.jpg

Or maybe a pair of 680 Lightnings. They'd be a lot easier to resell.

I need an HTPC-style "desktop" case that doesn't look like shit. It needs to be able to fit a gaming GPU and be no taller than 5.5".

I know it's a tight fit, but it's possible. I've found these two so far but they look like a bag of chopped up dicks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144231
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204030

Is there anything sleeker-looking that meets my requirements? Preferably without an optical drive (or at least with a door covering it up)?

cametall

Replaced my Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X with a Sapphire HD 7950 OC edition.

OC edition is running cooler and OCs higher (probably due to the Vapor X's screwy boosting).

Fans are quieter too on the OC edition.

mkenyon

Banned
I need an HTPC-style "desktop" case that doesn't look like shit. It needs to be able to fit a gaming GPU and be no taller than 5.5".

I know it's a tight fit, but it's possible. I've found these two so far but they look like a bag of chopped up dicks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144231
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204030

Is there anything sleeker-looking that meets my requirements? Preferably without an optical drive (or at least with a door covering it up)?
Put some thin feet on the side of this.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/dd-tower-12-black-series.html#tabs

Neither Lian Li nor Silverstone make a case that fits your requirements, and I think that's the aesthetic you are looking for.

Smokey

In preperation for Borderlands 2 tomorrow...for SLI setups, in this case 690, what's the proper way to handle Phsyx...on the second GPU?

Will be first time using Physx.

cametall

What is hands down the best, most silent, black colored 120mm case fan? Bitfenix pro? Corsair (the ones with the little red ring look nice)?

Or should I stick with Noctua and not worry about aesthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom