• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethos

Banned
Oh Christ almighty I had the scare of my life.

I've been playing World of Warcraft for the past ... many hours, let's put it like that. All of a sudden I get the driver recovered error, which isn't out of the ordinary for WoW and Nvidia unfortunately. I restart the computer and start up the game again ... Crash, crash, crash, freeze, restart. :|

Installed the latest WHQL, restarted, started up the game - Crash, crash, black screen, restart :| :|

Start up Battlefield 3 and it's going apeshit with purple flashing colours :| :| :|

Had similar problems when I first got the cards, which turned out to be the SLI bridge needed to be turned around ( Which is weird ). Tried to turn it back to the original faulty position and I got the same issues as back then, red screen all over. Turn it around again and still crashing. I blow into the ends of it, reseat it and ... now everything is working.

Did I buy a Nintendo cartridge SLI bridge? Thought one of my cards had taken a dump.

Rur0ni

^ I had a weird SLI issue back with my GTX 260s, turned out I didn't have it all the way in... so the screen was flashing during 3D games heh. Like the alternate frame rendering or something.

On another note, Amazon has been shipping stuff in one day to me lately.. incredible. I wait on the bastards at NewEgg before I post my pick ups. ( Friday :'( )

Jzero

Oh Christ almighty I had the scare of my life.

I've been playing World of Warcraft for the past ... many hours, let's put it like that. All of a sudden I get the driver recovered error, which isn't out of the ordinary for WoW and Nvidia unfortunately. I restart the computer and start up the game again ... Crash, crash, crash, freeze, restart. :|

Installed the latest WHQL, restarted, started up the game - Crash, crash, black screen, restart :| :|

Start up Battlefield 3 and it's going apeshit with purple flashing colours :| :| :|

Had similar problems when I first got the cards, which turned out to be the SLI bridge needed to be turned around ( Which is weird ). Tried to turn it back to the original faulty position and I got the same issues as back then, red screen all over. Turn it around again and still crashing. I blow into the ends of it, reseat it and ... now everything is working.

Did I buy a Nintendo cartridge SLI bridge? Thought one of my cards had taken a dump.

Dust is a bitch sometimes.

So my computer doesn't have an HDMI port, and my monitor doesn't have a DVI port, so I need to upgrade my computer. I have a Intel Core Duo E7200 2.53 ghz, 4.1 gigs of ram, GEForce 9600 GT. Do I need to upgrade my video card to one with an HDMI port? If so, what's the best card I can get that will work with the computer? I don't know details of the power supply, so if that's necessary to decide, could someone show me how to find that out?
Yes you need to buy a graphics card that has HDMI. You don't need to upgrade your whole computer, just your card. You can pretty much get any PCI-E x16 (if your computer has the port) card that has HDMI

Varna

Don't bother with burn test, just use Prime on Small FFT to judge max temps.

That's a lot of fans though. I'd put the H100 in the top compartment with the fans pushing as exhaust. Never have your rad fans in just pull. Or, just drop the side intake ones.

Thanks for the advice. Ended up getting two Noctua NF-F12 fans. I will remove the side intake that I had blowing air into the CPU area. I have a pretty nice rear exhaust so hopefully it keeps up with the new fans.

EDIT:

Well damn. Looks like I might have messed up the installation. Prime 95 test is giving me nearly 95c... that doesn't seem right for an 4.7GHZ OC on an i5-2500k does it? Kind of odd since idle temps are extremely low. Is it possible that the cooler isn't making proper contact with the CPU?

New PC ordered (again). Said "fuck it" to my idea of building an interim PC to tide me over until Haswell. Didn't go as all-out as I originally planed, but still happy with it (Corsair 650D, i5-3550, 16GB, Gigabyte 660, Neutron SSD). With the motherboard, optical drive, power supply, case fans, shipping, taxes and rebates it should come to ~$1100.

I'm looking to build a computer for graphic design/photography/photoshop/movie editing. Would the $500 model in this thread be sufficient? I'd like it to be fast for basic activities + those.

Jzero

I'm looking to build a computer for graphic design/photography/photoshop/movie editing. Would the $500 model in this thread be sufficient? I'd like it to be fast for basic activities + those.

You'll need a pretty good computer for video editing.

Thraktor

Is it for gaming as well? If you don't plan on gaming with it, then I'd get the 'Enhanced' build, but without the graphics card, which would come to $574 (plus Windows, monitor, keyboard and mouse). If you want to use it for gaming as well, then the 'Standard' build would be the one to go for.

throw up some picks man :)

You are dead to me without pictures

It's ugly and obviously still WIP.

o8Una.jpg

But it works.

My PSU is quite old and I wish I didn't cheap out on it back then. Getting one without cable management finally comes back to bite me and it costs me.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy shorter SATA cables and two SATA power adapters.

My goal was it to do it with the least amount of effort. So yes, the PSU is going to say on the ground, with the power cable through the case. I/O panel for the mainboard? The cutout is good enough, but the original fan grill was already mounted back in. Hiding the cables? Fuck no. But I'll still bind them together.

Rest of the specs:

i7 2600K @ stock (for now, need a good guide first)
CM Hyper 212 EVO
Asus Maximus V GENE
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD6950 2GB
Intel X25-M 80 GB
1 TB Seagate whatever

kennah

Wow you gutted the hell out of that. But I've seen worse jobs. Really a few hours spent cleaning jt up and it will look just fine. Thanks for posting the picture!

Wow you gutted the hell out of that. But I've seen worse jobs. Really a few hours spent cleaning jt up and it will look just fine. Thanks for posting the picture!

That's how I got it. I never had the pretty parts with the fans, shielding and the plexi cover. Got the case for 42 bucks on eBay. It was really just the empty case.

e: And funny that you mentioned worse jobs. The worst G5 mod I've seen, was from a kid who got a Power Mac G5 for christmas. He ripped the working hardware out and put his Athlon XP hardware in, including fans with green LEDs.

It was painful.

t-ramp

So my computer doesn't have an HDMI port, and my monitor doesn't have a DVI port, so I need to upgrade my computer. I have a Intel Core Duo E7200 2.53 ghz, 4.1 gigs of ram, GEForce 9600 GT. Do I need to upgrade my video card to one with an HDMI port? If so, what's the best card I can get that will work with the computer? I don't know details of the power supply, so if that's necessary to decide, could someone show me how to find that out?
If you have speakers aside from the TV, you could just buy a DVI to HDMI cable.

Edit: Actually, some Nvidia cards support audio through DVI. I know my 480 and 550 Ti did, although it might be just the 400 and newer series that do...

Does this mean my HDD is about to fail? Everything feels really damn slow right now.

tkL1e.png
How full is the drive?

---

I got my new hardware all set up tonight. Asus P8P67 Pro, i5 2500K, two 6870s... Seems to be working fine.

Varna

Sweet. Got my temps under control.

I don't quiet understand how it all works. When I first tried to get the highest overclock I could possibly get I raised the voltage bit by bit until I could run Prime 95 for an hour or so without crashing. But I guess there is such a thing as keeping it too low. I had it at 1.29 running a 4.8GHZ and I had no issues gaming though my temps were hitting almost 90c after an hour in Prime 95 (though never in gaming. Usually hit 65 max). Raised the voltage to 1.35 and for whatever reason my temps went way down. 72c max in Prime 95 after an hour.

Stubo

Does your 9600GT have a DVI port, and your monitor has a HDMI port?

If so, you can get cables like this one to connect those together.

If you're looking for an excuse to upgrade, ignore this post ;)

Noaloha

Silverstone AP181 or AP182 are excellent fans.

Thanks for the recommendation sir. I'll take a long look at some reviews when I've got some time to spare.

The current side-fan (regular 140mm Arc Midi case fan) is the loudest component on my build at the moment, due I suspect in large part to it simply being 'out there' in the sense of having nothing but a wide-holed grill between it and the outside. Any reduction in noise on that single fan is going to see the best returns on lowering the decibels of the system as a whole. The thing's pretty quiet anyway, but it would be fantastic to get it to a barely-audible level.

Recon

Banned
If you have speakers aside from the TV, you could just buy a DVI to HDMI cable.

Edit: Actually, some Nvidia cards support audio through DVI. I know my 480 and 550 Ti did, although it might be just the 400 and newer series that do...

How full is the drive?

---

I got my new hardware all set up tonight. Asus P8P67 Pro, i5 2500K, two 6870s... Seems to be working fine.

About half full. I bought a spare 2 TB WD HDD from my roommate for $80. Runs much, MUCH better. The failing drive was almost 4 years old i believe, so I guess I cant be too mad.

Bread

Banned
Does your 9600GT have a DVI port, and your monitor has a HDMI port?

If so, you can get cables like this one to connect those together.

If you're looking for an excuse to upgrade, ignore this post ;)
I also need HDMI for 3d gaming, right?

But yeah I definitely want to upgrade, is there a limit on how powerful I can go with this video card? I'd like to get one that will last me 3+ years. Also, would it be smart to upgrade my GPU as well?

t-ramp

I also need HDMI for 3d gaming, right?

But yeah I definitely want to upgrade, is there a limit on how powerful I can go with this video card? I'd like to get one that will last me 3+ years. Also, would it be smart to upgrade my GPU as well?
I don't know about 3D, but as long as your power supply is up to the task, any PCIe video card should work. Also, video card and GPU are kind of the same thing. If your CPU is a few years old as well you would definitely notice a difference by upgrading to something new. You'd need a new motherboard and perhaps RAM as well, though.

Is it for gaming as well? If you don't plan on gaming with it, then I'd get the 'Enhanced' build, but without the graphics card, which would come to $574 (plus Windows, monitor, keyboard and mouse). If you want to use it for gaming as well, then the 'Standard' build would be the one to go for.

would this be better than getting the enhanced build without the graphics card?

Bread

Banned
I don't know about 3D, but as long as your power supply is up to the task, any PCIe video card should work. Also, video card and GPU are kind of the same thing. If your CPU is a few years old as well you would definitely notice a difference by upgrading to something new. You'd need a new motherboard and perhaps RAM as well, though.
ok, makes sense. thanks for the help everyone!

Thraktor

would this be better than getting the enhanced build without the graphics card?

The enhanced build would be a decent bit better, as it's got a Core i5 3570K versus the Core i5 2400 in the build you linked to. They're both quad-core, and with similar architectures, but the advantage to the 3570K is that you can overclock it and get 4.2GHz or so pretty easily with a heatsink like the CoolerMaster 212+, which compares to 3.1GHz with the 2400.

That said, if you have no interest in building yourself or overclocking, then the one you linked to seems like a pretty good deal, when you factor in that Windows is included.

ithorien

Hey folks. A while back I remember that everyone was saying nonono to Win 7 SP1, what's the word now? I'm having a pesky bug check that is caused by a driver not resolving standby state properly and it bsods during sleep, want to try debugging and suggestion is to update to SP1.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Anyone aware of any good pre-builts for like under $1200 (for gaming of course)? I've done the whole "built it yourself" for the last few desktops and completely not interested this time around.

Hey folks. A while back I remember that everyone was saying nonono to Win 7 SP1, what's the word now? I'm having a pesky bug check that is caused by a driver not resolving standby state properly and it bsods during sleep, want to try debugging and suggestion is to update to SP1.

Haven't had a single issue with Sp1.

Mangotron

Jumped on one of those $60 120GB SSDs this morning. I want to reinstall Windows on the new drive, but is there a good way to get rid of the old install on the HDD? I don't really want the two different boot options to come up at startup and I'd like to have the space.

New PC shipped out today. Specs:

Corsair 650D
Bitfenix Spectre 200mm fan
Intel Core i5-3550
16GB of RAM
Asus P8Z77-V LX
Gigabyte 660 Ti
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MkIII 500W
Corsair Neutron 120GB
Samsung 506AB (external Blu-ray)

They didn't have the 660 I wanted so I upgraded to the Ti for about $60 after rebate. I am pleased.

Dreaver

Hi guys, I could REALLY use some help.

I think I need a upgrade for my computer. I only use it for video editing (1080) and the internet. It's lagging REALLY BAD. For example, when I have a timeline full of clips in Adobe Premiere has a lot of problems playing one when I randomly select it ('instant play'). In After Effects I can't even move a thing (on heavy projects) whithout waiting 10 seconds. It makes editing/effects frustrating as fuck (actually it's close to not possible most of the time).

I 'thought' my computer was decent enought, but I don't think so anymore?

Specifications:
Windows 7, 64 bits
4GBs of RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz

As said, I do 1080p editing (Premiere, with colour correcting) and some After Effects (1080p, heavier stuff but not EXTREMELY big/heavy projects).

Now I am really a dumb person when talking about hardware. I'd rather not spent money on my desktop but I need to do it for editing, so I'd like to be as cheap as possible (I hate hardware updates, that's why I play Xbox!). Can someone tell me what is bottle necking me and could anyone advice what to upgrade / to what?

Thanks a lot!

MrBig

I think I need a upgrade for my computer. I only use it for video editing (1080) and the internet. It's lagging REALLY BAD. For example, when I have a timeline full of clips in Adobe Premiere has a lot of problems playing one when I randomly select it ('instant play'). In After Effects I can't even move a thing (on heavy projects) whithout waiting 10 seconds. It makes editing/effects frustrating as fuck (actually it's close to not possible most of the time).

Specifications:
Windows 7, 64 bits
4GBs of RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+

As said, I do 1080p editing (Premiere, with colour correcting) and some After Effects (1080p, heavier stuff but not EXTREMELY big/heavy projects).

Now I am really a dumb person when talking about hardware. I'd rather not spent money on my desktop but I need to do it for editing, so I'd like to be as cheap as possible (I hate hardware updates, that's why I play Xbox!). Can someone tell me what is bottle necking me and could anyone advice what to upgrade / to what?

Thanks a lot!

If that started happening recently it may be a software issue and not a hardware limitation, unless something is faulty.

For the cheapest and most beneficial upgrade you can get an 8gb RAM kit. Is it DDR3/2?

Dreaver

If that started happening recently it may be a software issue and not a hardware limitation, unless something is faulty.

For the cheapest and most beneficial upgrade you can get an 8gb RAM kit
It's since I have it installed I think (isn't that long yet). Should my computer be good enough for editing without problems?

I'd rather not just re install it because I have loads of plugins installed / configurated. =\

t-ramp

Specifications:
Windows 7, 64 bits
4GBs of RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+

Thanks a lot!
You might benefit from more RAM or a faster hard drive.

Thraktor

Specifications:
Windows 7, 64 bits
4GBs of RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+

Thanks a lot!

Upgrade your RAM to 8GB at least and 16GB if possible. The more RAM the better when it comes to video editing. You also should be able to overclock your CPU to about 3.2GHz. An SSD should also give you a significant performance boost.

Thraktor

My computer uses about 0,6-0,7GB in Premiere and 1.7GB in After Effects (I forgot to mention that). Shouldn't that mean my RAM is fine? And do you mean a 7200 RPM drive (instead of 5400)?

What length videos are you dealing with in Premiere and After Effects? I'm not an expert with either, but that strikes me as very little RAM usage for 1080p video editing.

MrBig

My computer uses about 0,6-0,7GB in Premiere and 1.7GB in After Effects (I forgot to mention that). Shouldn't that mean my RAM is fine? And do you mean a 7200 RPM drive (instead of 5400)?

I don't do a lot of video editing, but I would assume ram useage is similar to Photoshop in that it only allocates a set percentage of your total amount of ram. You can try raising that percent in the preferences, as AE/PR loads chunks of clips into ram for the real time preview

kitch9

Banned
Jumped on one of those $60 120GB SSDs this morning. I want to reinstall Windows on the new drive, but is there a good way to get rid of the old install on the HDD? I don't really want the two different boot options to come up at startup and I'd like to have the space.

Vistabootpro will remove the additional boot entry then just delete the old Windows folder.

Specifications:
Windows 7, 64 bits
4GBs of RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+

Thanks a lot!

Video editing requires alot of processing and memory. At least upgrade your RAM, if you can afford a faster processor, do it.

Edit: Also a SSD will improve your read/write significantly.

Dreaver

Well first of all, thanks for the answers.

What length videos are you dealing with in Premiere and After Effects? I'm not an expert with either, but that strikes me as very little RAM usage for 1080p video editing.

Premiere edits are about 3-4 minutes. More clips (more "crowded") make it more lag. Though I am already experiencing it pretty quick (with short edits of 1 min). In Premiere it's not really "lag" (program doesn't get slow or crashes) but it simply has problems with playback, it simply won't do anything for a few seconds.

After Effects are pretty short (10 seconds perhaps?) but it's quite heavy I think. After Effects DOES have "real lag" (veeeery slow, crashes).

I don't do a lot of video editing, but I would assume ram useage is similar to Photoshop in that it only allocates a set percentage of your total amount of ram. You can try raising that percent in the preferences, as AE/PR loads chunks of clips into ram for the real time preview
It's already set that it uses the maximum amount of RAM possible.

Video editing requires alot of processing and memory. At least upgrade your RAM, if you can afford a faster processor, do it.

Edit: Also a SSD will improve your read/write significantly.
I understand it's pretty heavy but I always thought my computer used to be pretty good, except perhaps one thing that bottle necks it...

Which of these PSU's would you recommend?

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan 80PLUS Power Supply
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35456&vpn=OCZ700MXSP&manufacture=OCZ Technology&promoid=1265

XFX 550W PRO550W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 44A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1265

Thermaltake TR2 600W Cable Management ATX12V V2.3 24PIN Power Supply With 120mm Fan
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=66851&vpn=TR-600&manufacture=Thermaltake&promoid=1265

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom