• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say it is when your work is dependant on it. Always go the safer more stable route even if it means more money when it your livelyhood at stake. You would be royally pissed if your overclock BSODs halfway through a photoedit.

That is what would happen if you're too lazy to test your overclock, which could happen with either processor.

Jomjom

Banned
Might go down to $200 or so when IB drops, but only until stock runs out. Wouldn't expect it to go any lower than that.

Just curious what will be the benefits of the new IB CPUs compared to the current 2500k? Worth it to get that instead of the 2500k if I'm looking to build a computer late this year?

Had my video drivers crash just browsing the internet yesterday, and just now had a BSOD while playing Crysis. I'm not sure how worried I should be about this. I'm reinstalling the Nvidia drivers in case they didn't install right. I also redid the cables in the case to help with airflow and plugged in a second case fan I had left unplugged. Hopefully it just got a bit too hot and it's not something more serious. I've been running Core Temp and the CPU has been good, around 50C while playing a game, but is there a good piece of software to monitor the video card temps?

larvi

Got my new Asrock P67 mobo/ CM212 and the 2600K this morning and just completed the upgrade. Went pretty smoothly, it took me a bit to decipher the drawings on the CM212 install but got everything installed and it booted up first time. After upgrading my daughter's XP box last week and spending pretty much most of the night working around old/new driver issues it's amazing how much better Windows 7 handles motherboard swaps.

I wasn't going to OC right away but they make it so easy now I figured I would give it a shot. Loaded the XMP profile for my memory then used the "Auto 4.8ghz turbo" setting in the bios and didn't have to touch any other settings. So far so good.

The only thing I would do differently the next time is to NOT use the install ALL on the driver CD. Asrock tricked me by putting the Install All button on the drivers tab and since I needed all of the drivers I assumed it would only do those, but the install all also installed all of the utilities, trials and bloatware from the other tabs which I didn't want so I had to spend some time uninstalling and cleaning that crap up.

Oh additionally, I've had this question in the back of my mind. Once I install the Catalyst software suite, can I use the MSI afterburner as well? Or how does that work. Thanks!

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Question about my 7970: Furmark crashes the card after 10 seconds whenever I change the clocks above 925 in catalyst or Asus tweak but the card works fine and stays at a reasonable temp when I play any games, should I be worried about keeping it overclocked?

mkenyon

Banned
I wasn't going to OC right away but they make it so easy now I figured I would give it a shot. Loaded the XMP profile for my memory then used the "Auto 4.8ghz turbo" setting in the bios and didn't have to touch any other settings. So far so good.
Just so you know, that's not really overclocking. It's allowing your proc to increase a single core to that speed while reducing the rest in single threaded applications, and there really aren't that many of those left.

It still is really really easy though, and suggest you do it. The performance increase is basically linear, so you can get ~30% extra performance for free.

Question about my 7970: Furmark crashes the card after 10 seconds whenever I change the clocks above 925 in catalyst or Asus tweak but the card works fine and stays at a reasonable temp when I play any games, should I be worried about keeping it overclocked?

Don't use Furmark for god's sake, it is an unsafe, potentially dangerous application which goes far beyond what a card is actually going to endure under load. Use Heaven DX11 benchmark or 3dmark11 for your stress testing.

larvi

Just so you know, that's not really overclocking. It's allowing your proc to increase a single core to that speed while reducing the rest in single threaded applications, and there really aren't that many of those left.

It still is really really easy though, and suggest you do it. The performance increase is basically linear, so you can get ~30% extra performance for free.

This isn't the Intel Turbo Boost feature, this is an overclocking profile that Asrock includes in the Bios, not sure if other manufacturers have something similar Cpu-Z reports a multiplier of 48 so it appears to be a true overclock to me. This is an example of what I'm using on a similar board:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/automatic-overclock-motherboard-cpu,3048-2.html

Biggzy

Well my windows 7 cd finally arrived along with Shogun 2. Installation went without a hitch although it did take me a couple of hours to re-install everything and download all the updates.

I have though decided that I really do need a SSD to install my most used programs and windows on it, as it isn't as fast as I would like.

Okay, 40 minutes running Crysis on max settings and I got a max CPU temp of 60 and an average of 50-55, and a max GPU temp of 73 with an average around 60. I'm running an i5 2500k and an Asus GTX560 Ti, and nothing is overclocked. Does any of that look unusual?

Haint

Had my video drivers crash just browsing the internet yesterday, and just now had a BSOD while playing Crysis. I'm not sure how worried I should be about this. I'm reinstalling the Nvidia drivers in case they didn't install right. I also redid the cables in the case to help with airflow and plugged in a second case fan I had left unplugged. Hopefully it just got a bit too hot and it's not something more serious. I've been running Core Temp and the CPU has been good, around 50C while playing a game, but is there a good piece of software to monitor the video card temps?

^^Msi Afterburner

Driver crash during browsing has been a common and ongoing issue since the 280.XX series debuted back in the summer. A sizable thread discussing it has lived on the front page of Nvidia's official driver forum for damn near half a year now. Nvidia have addressed the issue specifically several times now, but they were yet to deliver a 100% stable release last I checked. Where are you seeing that Afterburner is the root cause celcius?

Okay, 40 minutes running Crysis on max settings and I got a max CPU temp of 60 and an average of 50-55, and a max GPU temp of 73 with an average around 60. I'm running an i5 2500k and an Asus GTX560 Ti, and nothing is overclocked. Does any of that look unusual?

What's unusual is that you haven't overclocked yet. DO IT

I have a new i5 2500k and want to overclock, dont want to fuck it up though :(

Here's an easy way to do it: set multiplier to 42. Done. There you go. That'll be a 4.2 Ghz OC with no voltage adjustment. You can then go to 4.5 Ghz at your leisure.

wwm0nkey

What's unusual is that you haven't overclocked yet. DO IT

Here's an easy way to do it: set multiplier to 42. Done. There you go. That'll be a 4.2 Ghz OC with no voltage adjustment. You can then go to 4.5 Ghz at your leisure.

wait are you serious? I can just set the multiplier to 42 and thats it? dont have to do or worry about anything else?

Also what will setting it to 42 do the the life expectancy of the CPU? (about how many years will it shave off)

wait are you serious? I can just set the multiplier to 42 and thats it? dont have to do or worry about anything else?

Also what will setting it to 42 do the the life expectancy of the CPU? (about how many years will it shave off)

Yup. Or set it to 40-41 if you're scared, but a vast majority of 2500k's can handle 4.2 Ghz without additional voltage.

And it'll shave off no years, because no additional voltage is applied. Hell, who cares if it does anyways? Unless you give it an extreme amount of voltage (1.55-1.60+), you won't get chip degradation. And if it lasts 5 years instead of 10, big deal, you know?

Great, that puts my mind at ease a bit.

I put this together two days ago. I want to make sure nothing arrived broken before I get a chance to break it myself :p

Use IntelBurnTest with max RAM settings and Heavenbenchmark to stress the shit out of your CPU and GPU. Then use Prime95 blend for a couple of hours if you're OCD and paranoid.

Then, OC that 2500k and if you need help with the 560 Ti, there's tons of pro overclocks in this thread and the Race Your PC thread. 560 Ti is similar to my GTX 570 so I can help you if you just ask.

wwm0nkey

Yup. Or set it to 40-41 if you're scared, but a vast majority of 2500k's can handle 4.2 Ghz without additional voltage.

And it'll shave off no years, because no additional voltage is applied. Hell, who cares if it does anyways? Unless you give it an extreme amount of voltage (1.55-1.60+), you won't get chip degradation. And if it lasts 5 years instead of 10, big deal, you know?

Well I set it to 4.2 and it says I did in the MB menu but not on CPUID-Z or Dxdiag.

Hey, do any of you guys know how good the Corsair GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 120GB SATA III SSD is? NewEgg has a this for $180 and a $30 rebate which brings it down to $150 which seems like a good deal based on this details of the drive. However, wish this being my first SSD purchase I want to make sure I am doing this right the first time. Based on the reviews it seems I would definitely need to upgrade to the newest firmware but other then that it seems to work great. However, I havn't paid too much attention in the PC building scene since last year and I don't don't want to get screwed.

Also, are there any other SSDs that are out or will be coming out this spring that are better than this SSD but also in a very similar price range?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Putting together PC's is the only build orders Hazaro knows about :p

Yeah it's finally time to pull the trigger. My old P4 setup was used for capturing old school Halo2 games back in the day. With Halo 4 on the horizon, it would be nice to be able to have that option again with the new rig.

What capture card would you recommend picking up if I was to buy within the next couple of months? Is your setup always capturing while you're streaming and you just keep and toss the clips after the night is done? How many gigs of video do you end up having after a nights worth of gaming?

I have the Black Magic Intensity Pro. It's an internal card, takes just a minute to install. Now, if your 360 is connected through HDMI this is definitely the way to go. Actually, even if you connect through component, this card has you covered. It comes with a breakout cable that allows you to pass video into the card and back out to your TV. However with HDMI, it's much cleaner.

When I'm streaming, all the footage is archived in TwitchTV. So, if there's a film or clip from that night when I was streaming, I just go ahead and clip it out right there. Quality is not as good as a direct capture though, of course. Direct capture is super high quality. With the Xbox 360, this card only allows capturing in 720p. I capture at 60fps as well. You can't really tell in my Halo videos because Halo runs at 30...barely lol. However, if I were a betting man, I would guess 60fps for Halo 4. Now, this thing definitely requires some HDD space. 2 minutes of uncompressed HD video, 720p will run you about 400mb of space. Just imagine an entire, epic, 15 minute Halo match. Ya, quite a few GBs. When I go for the long gameplays, I usually clip it from my stream archive. However, for montages and trailers that I make, it's always direct capture. The archived video, if you rip it from Twitch is .flv so it's much much smaller than the .avi files. I can get like an hour and a half of archived footage for around a GB or so. Much better.

I have the luxury of a super fast Internet so I can stream at a high bitrate and my archived stream footage looks pretty damn good.

Here are some examples:

Ripped archive video

Direct Capture video

The youtube compression doesn't do it justice :/

Here is direct capture footage upscaled to 1080p

Now, with my current setup, I don't have an HDMI splitter. So to play my 360 when I don't necessarily want to capture or stream, I still need the card to be in use. Which means my PC is on and I've got my streaming program opened and active. I definitely recommend a splitter. I'll be picking one up shortly.

Use IntelBurnTest with max RAM settings and Heavenbenchmark to stress the shit out of your CPU and GPU. Then use Prime95 blend for a couple of hours if you're OCD and paranoid.

Then, OC that 2500k and if you need help with the 560 Ti, there's tons of pro overclocks in this thread and the Race Your PC thread. 560 Ti is similar to my GTX 570 so I can help you if you just ask.

Thank you so much for the advice. I've never tried overclocking before but I definitely want to give it a try with this build. If you have advice for OCing my video card I'd certainly appreciate it.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Don't use Furmark for god's sake, it is an unsafe, potentially dangerous application which goes far beyond what a card is actually going to endure under load. Use Heaven DX11 benchmark or 3dmark11 for your stress testing.

Thanks for letting me know, furmark is in the OP though which is why I tried it.

Thank you so much for the advice. I've never tried overclocking before but I definitely want to give it a try with this build. If you have advice for OCing my video card I'd certainly appreciate it.

Sure, on a 560 Ti you should use MSI Afterburner (google how to unlock the overclocking/voltage mode) 2.2.0 beta 10.

I'd recommend these settings to start: 1.050v (or close to that), 850 mhz core, and something like 2100-2200 Mhz RAM. That's a pretty conservative overclock that'll give you a good boost in performance.

Thanks for letting me know, furmark is in the OP though which is why I tried it.

I don't think it should be in there, I'll send a PM to Hazaro. Both Nvidia and AMD have throttles in their drivers to try to keep Furmark from blowing up GPU's, if that's any indication of how dangerous it can be.

Jtrizzy

So what voltage should I set it to for 44? I have it set to that now, but I don't think I ever changed the voltage. Everything seems to be running fine though.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Driver crash during browsing has been a common and ongoing issue since the 280.XX series debuted back in the summer. A sizable thread discussing it has lived on the front page of Nvidia's official driver forum for damn near half a year now. Nvidia have addressed the issue specifically several times now, but they were yet to deliver a 100% stable release last I checked. Where are you seeing that Afterburner is the root cause celcius?

I was merely suggesting that afterburner is a great program to monitor your gpu temps...

Jtrizzy

Probably a stupid question, but how do people monitor cpu temps in game if you don't use a separate monitor or an LCD keyboard of some sort?

So what voltage should I set it to for 44? I have it set to that now, but I don't think I ever changed the voltage. Everything seems to be running fine though.

You never stress-tested it with IntelBurnTest or Prime95? Bad dog.

I personally use offset +0.030v for 4.5 ghz if that gives you an idea. Try that and see if it handles 10-20 runs of IntelBurnTest. If so, it's most likely stable enough for daily driving.

Jtrizzy

LOL I did stress testing, as well as the PC racing thread, but I'm kind of scared to mess with it at this point. Last time I messed with settings other than just changing the multiplier I did something to mess with my ram, and couldn't get my pc to post until I switched out the ram. For some reason just using a different stick fixed it, then I was able to put the originals back in. I read through the guides on this thoroughly, but am still uncomfortable with it in a way.

Is using it at 44 without adjusting the voltage risky? I have been getting some weird things with core temp where it says 98 for all for cores...I think it's just a bug in the program though. I was thinking I'd just leave it at 44 for now, I may get it water cooled whenever the 680's come out.

Just got a new PC off of craigslist for 315.

Basically it has an AMD Phenom II X4 (2.8 core) thinkin about OC'ing
1GB Nvidia 9500GT (gonna order a 550Ti from Newegg unless neogaf has other suggestions)
4 GB ram
Biostar motherboard

Any other options to make this better?

Post PSU model/make/wattage. Probably will need to upgrade unless you want to take your chances on some crummy OEM (That could easily run great for 2-3 years).
Part wise, not really much to add.

The PSU was a 400 watt "Diablotek"

I upgraded it with a 600 watt Corsair GS600 (even though the 550 ti minimum required is a 400w, I wanted some OCing leeway.)

Btw, I was afraid my 550 ti wasn't working because its been a while since I PC gamed and I had no idea cards now had to be connected to the power supply??

I bought Windows 7 Pro upgrade for this new system I built. It did not have any OS before hand, anyway to have a full install working properly with this? Or should I have went with the full/regular (and more expensive) version?

edit: nevermind. found the answer.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The PSU was a 400 watt "Diablotek"

I upgraded it with a 600 watt Corsair GS600 (even though the 550 ti minimum required is a 400w, I wanted some OCing leeway.)

Btw, I was afraid my 550 ti wasn't working because its been a while since I PC gamed and I had no idea cards now had to be connected to the power supply??
Cards that draw under 75W can be powered from the motherboard. A 6 pin power adds another 75W of power, 2 of those 150W which makes the card able to draw up to 225W for example. 8 pin can deliver maximum of 150 per cable.

Cards that draw under 75W can be powered from the motherboard. A 6 pin power adds another 75W of power, 2 of those 150W which makes the card able to draw up to 225W for example. 8 pin can deliver maximum of 150 per cable.

I saw the Corsair on sale at Best Buy for 90, but could I have gotten away with using the 400W supply with the GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom