• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
What would be the best PSU for running dual Sapphire 7970's? My current PSU runs fine until I play a game, then the system cuts out and then restarts. I have an Alienware Area 51 ALX Chassis.

mkenyon

Banned
What would be the best PSU for running dual Sapphire 7970's? My current PSU runs fine until I play a game, then the system cuts out and then restarts. I have an Alienware Area 51 ALX Chassis.
Seasonic 850 plat should be just fine. Same with Corsair AX850 or Seasonic X850.

mkenyon

Banned
If you just spent $1000 to buy some video cards, I think you should do yourself a favor and get a really nice PSU to power them.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If you just spent $1000 to buy some video cards, I think you should do yourself a favor and get a really nice PSU to power them.
Oh duh.

How could I forget that, especially since I've said that before. That's what happens if you stare at numbers too long.

GET A GOOD 80+GOLD 850W+ PSU.
Though that 1200W A-DATA doesn't seem bad at all from reviews. Can't find much else on it besides specs.

Thanks for the help. I ended up getting a 400R for him for $65 by price matching an NCIX sale with Memory Express. I've built in the 500R which I've been fairly happy with but this is me coming from an Antec 300. Personally I'm still looking for a case for June and I'm willing to spend a little more money than my family members so I'll have some of these options open to me. I'm also looking for an adapter like this but with two USB3 connections instead of one. Does anyone know of a source that ships to canada? Ebay is letting me down. It's so I can connect a 400R front panel USB3 connections to a motherboard without a USB3 header but with USB3 on the back panel only.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/USB-3-0-Fema...==/$(KGrHqYOKjwE5v--4v4IBOo,fym1dg~~60_57.JPG

These kind of posts are invaluable when regarding products, such as cases, that can't be easily compared. I don't do enough builds to be able to compare a lot of the stuff that is on the market right now and a lot of builds I do end up saving the old case to put the money into the GPU or CPU. The 690 II Advanced seems to be hard to come by up in Canada. I see the NCIX seems to be the only one selling it and they only have some black and some nVidia branded version of it. Not the white that looks pretty sweet. Are there any specifics about how the 690 II Advanced out-does the 400/500R?

Edit: Looking at the NCIX 690 II Advanced model it doesn't even have the USB3 header on it, pffft worthless. I'm also noticing that the 690 II advanced does not appear to have removable hard drive bays. Although I'll probably never be putting in a GPU long enough to need to take one out it's nice to have the option that the 500R does that opens up airflow a bit more.
You can try one of these types of USB adapters:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29829175&postcount=7541

cu-01-01s.jpg

Keep in mind, the ones that have adapter plates for use in a PCI slot, or ODD bay, can also be used internally, hidden behind your motherboard tray.

690 II Adv., and USB 3.0 versions are often sold alongside one another (differences in the link I posted earlier). The USB 3.0 version has been available for months. You may need to call and verify if a retailer has it in stock, as some won't have updated their old 690 II Adv. listing.

Old feature vid of the non-USB 3.0 690 II Adv.:

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced Video Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvBjEmXJnI

Also, awesomeness if it hasn't bee posted:

http://guru3d.com/news/cooler-master-eisberg-watercooling-lineup-shown/

http://www.guru3d.com/fullimage.php?image=37339

http://www.guru3d.com/fullimage.php?image=37340

That's a *real* pump with a *real* radiator. You can even add on or switch out your own barbs/fittings if you want. This right here is the tipping point where real watercooling will become mainstream.

Coolermaster is coming back hard right now. Cosmos II, amazing keyboards and mice, 690II still on top, etc... Pretty excited to see what else they have in store. If they made a switch to Seasonic OEM PSU's, they'd be replacing Corsair as king.
Exact-o-ly. Kinda funny how Corsair was scrambling immediately after Cooler Master debuted the Eisberg 120/240/360 series.

Corsair is still the leader in AIOs, but Intel, Zalman, Enermax, and a list of others are also sourcing some of the same CoolIT and Asetek AIOs. Up until now, Thermaltake's Water 2.0/Water 2.0 Pro/Water 2.0 Pro Extreme looked to be the biggest threat to Corsair. Assuming Cooler Master come close to their price estimates, and they roughly maintain 1:1 pricing (no direct conversions), then that changes everything. I doubt CM, or Thermaltake will ultimately match Corsair's customer service, and warranty, though. Still, the Eisbergs look like serious competition to XSPC, and, more so, Corsair.

Quality materials, copper rads instead of aluminum, customizable, decent pump, and reputable OEM.

CM has kind of dropped the ball with products like the new HAF-XM, and I'm not holding my breathe for them to drop Enhance as a chief PSU OEM, but hey, BeQuiet! is now using SeaSonic for their top end line, so that's progress.

Anyhow...

Cooler Master returns to liquid cooling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNwgj3XNWoo

Cooler Master coolers @ Cebit 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqQrmFRMueg

CeBIT 2012 Cooler Master Eisberg Wasserkühlungen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Culqmx-os

CeBIT 2012: Cooler Master in Zukunft mit Kompaktwasserkühlungen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh9e8OkFtmQ

Slim 120, thick 120, thick 240.

nccyQ.jpg

Shambles

·feist·;35935748 said:
You can try one of these types of USB adapters:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29829175&postcount=7541

cu-01-01s.jpg

Keep in mind, the ones that have adapter plates for use in a PCI slot, or ODD bay, can also be used internally, hidden behind your motherboard tray.

The problem is the USB3 header needs to be male with 2 female exterior USB3 ports. For most people who buy USB3 cases have a motherboard either with no USB3 or with the USB3 internal header. The motherboard going in the 400R only has two external USB3 ports on the back of the motherboard without any internal headers. The case header is going to be female expecting to plug into a male motherboard header, but I need a male adapter to 2 external ports so that I can route normal USB3 cable through the case, out the grommet on the back of the case plugging into USB3 ports on the back of the motherboard. In a fashion similar to what the first USB3 cases did before the USB3 header was standardized.

I can find a lot of adapters with female ends but I can only find that one with the male end. The problem is that it only has one USB exterior port instead of two. Anyways, I'll keep looking and let you folks know if I do locate a seller in case others have the same issue.

AkIRA_22

Gaffers, so I just bought a 240GB Vertex 3 and need to clone my previous C: drive so the new SSD is the boot drive.... discuss.

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty in the registry but would prefer not to. I'd also rather not pay for software.

Your expertise are appreciated, and success shall be celebrated with the adding of chocolate to milk.

adg1034

GAF, we've had a fair few (hundred) discussions where people wanted to know which monitor to buy. And, mainly, the answer's been the ASUS VW246H, or an equivalent. Which is a terrific display. I'm typing this using one right now. But lately, I've had the itch to go bigger. To get an IPS display of some sort, preferably one 27" or larger. But the thought of spending $800 or more on a monitor, even one as nice as a Dell 30" or a Samsung whatever doesn't quite sit right with me and my meager (meagre, for our British chums) budget.

Until this fell into my lap.

m__61c63dc2e0a775b7a4b79f79bba2c715__m.jpg

m__5316112073c6e538ef1fb31cfd7a91e9__m.jpg

It's a 27" S-IPS monitor, running at 2560x1440, for just around $400. That's utterly bonkers. But a number of Korean display manufacturers decided they'd buy up a bunch of the LG panels used in, among other things, the Apple Thunderbolt Display, and slap them in some much cheaper housings. And sell them (in Korea) for about $250. Recently, though, some enterprising eBay sellers started shipping them overseas at the $400 mark (give or take), and the fine folks at [H]ardForum and Overclock.net have gone batshit for them. Even, in some cases, overclocking the actual refresh rates of the displays themselves to run them at, say, 100Hz rather than 60Hz. This is also bonkers. The base models only come with dual-link DVI output (ones with more outputs come at the expense of added cost and added input lag), but tempered glass and built-in speakers are available, too.

There are two main manufacturers, Shimian and Yamakasi (but with product names of Achevia and Catleap). Achevia models are cheaper, but with crappy stands (but VESA mounting holes), while the Catleaps are more expensive, and have their VESA hardware stuck behind a rather sturdier stand. Recently, though (as in hours ago), a third model came into the mix: Crossover. Crossover is notable because its stand features full tilt, swivel, height, and pivot functionality. (And just looks plain badass, as seen above.)

Anyway. It's 1:20 AM and I'm tired as hell, but I just ordered mine, and I wanted to share with you all. If you're willing to take the risk of international shipping, this could be ridiculous (in the best possible way).

godnorazi

Banned
im hitting capacity of my 120gb corsair (sandforce2) SSD so im looking to upgrade to a 240gb.. i want a sandforce2 drive again since ive had fantastic experience with mine and the benchmarks for the crucial m4 and intel drives look lackluster

from my research it seems there are 3 types of NAND to look for when buying an SSD:
- async nand
- sync nand
- toggle nand (toshiba 32nm)

the toggle nand is the one you want but it looks like only the ocz vertex3 max iops, the patriot wildfire, and the mushkin chronos deluxe have it... any others?

clav

im hitting capacity of my 120gb corsair (sandforce2) SSD so im looking to upgrade to a 240gb.. i want a sandforce2 drive again since ive had fantastic experience with mine and the benchmarks for the crucial m4 and intel drives look lackluster

from my research it seems there are 3 types of NAND to look for when buying an SSD:
- async nand
- sync nand

the toggle nand is the one you want but it looks like only the ocz vertex3 max iops, the patriot wildfire, and the mushkin chronos deluxe have it... any others?

Have you looked at the Samsung 830?

AkIRA_22

- async nand
- sync nand

I just bought a 240GB Vertex 3 today, as an upgrade for my Corsair 60GB (getting old) Nova. It's amazing, I highly recommend it.

mkenyon

Banned
Tweaktown posted a review of the Silverstone TJ-04.

In my opinion, SilverStone took a huge chance with quite a few design changes, not only for this Temjin, but things I haven't seen all in one chassis of theirs ever before. This is an instance where you feel the chassis is more of an orchestra of players all coming together for that note that runs chills up your arm rather than listening to the guy on the corner beat on a bucket with sticks.

It is more of the ability of all of the components to do what they are designed to do and they all play their parts well, giving you not only a pleasurable building experience with the TJ04-Evolution, but the finished product is great to look at and it leaves you with enough options to make this chassis unique and all your own.

Issues with the TJ0-E are... well, there weren't any! As sad as that is, because I tend to find even the smallest issues and bring them forward and with the TJ04-E I am sad that I have nothing to pick on them for. On the opposite side of that coin, it just goes to show how well thought out the redesign of this Temjin is. SilverStone really did their homework with the TJ04-E and I just can't say it enough, I really like it!

Important picture:

JNBAvl.jpg

Offset mounting for top fans. Looks like a 240mm rad of any size should be just fine.

Dibbz

Well all my stuff came today. I tested the components out before hooking it into the case and everything worked fine. Take the case out of the box and the top flap of the case is loose and slides around. There were some plastic clips that were meant to keep the top in place with the rest of it but all of them had been snapped off.

I figured I can live with that and I'll find out a solution to it and started to put everything in the case. Well I hooked all the conections up and then realized that the top panel with USB, headphone ports etc is not even sat flush and falls down into the case. I assume it is supposed to be glued or something since it won't click in and stay put. To top it off those front ports don't seem to work and give me errors at boot up, so I had up unplug them from the mobo to get into windows.

This is very annoying. I'm gonna try and contact Overclockers and see if I can get a replacement or something.

6976922609_0cee731df4_z.jpg

Thank god the power button is ok

6830795100_1d93042409_z.jpg

6976920179_a600bfb21b_z.jpg

This is what all of the clips on the top panel look like. Totally snapped with no way to connect it to the rest of the case.

6830797670_04b8ab0f5b_z.jpg

Here are the remains of those clips that I found in and around the case.

Amory

So I nearly finished my first ever build, and it boots! Hooray!

only problem is that there are a few wires coming out of the case that don't seem to connect anywhere to the motherboard. i dunno what they're for or if they're even needed (the manual that came with the case is godawful).

there are 4 "3P connectors"

fc84d47f.jpg

and a usb 3.0 internal connector

08ee8558.jpg

dunno where any of them connect to...?

mkenyon

Banned
The first one is fans. I dont know what case you have, but those are probably for a built in fan controller I'm guessing.

The second one is dependent upon whether or not your motherboard has a USB 3.0 Header. Circled in red below:

XnsN2l.png

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I'm picking up a used Dell 20" 2005w to tilt vertically and use as a secondary monitor and browse the web with. I'm paying 35$ for it, Yay or nay?

Chris R

The Asus Maximus V Gene looks like a killer motherboard, too bad I'm guessing the price will be insane :( Hoping Asus has another good mATX board planned for Ivy Bridge though, one that is full (well mostly) featured and not lacking.

mkenyon

Banned
The Asus Maximus V Gene looks like a killer motherboard, too bad I'm guessing the price will be insane :( Hoping Asus has another good mATX board planned for Ivy Bridge though, one that is full (well mostly) featured and not lacking.
I'd venture $170-190 MSRP, which is actually cheap for a high-end mobo. Not bad at all for what you're getting.

Amory

Posting from my brand spankin new pc for the first time :) So glad I decided to build one instead of buy it.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out along the way.

MRORANGE

GAF, we've had a fair few (hundred) discussions where people wanted to know which monitor to buy. And, mainly, the answer's been the ASUS VW246H, or an equivalent. Which is a terrific display. I'm typing this using one right now. But lately, I've had the itch to go bigger. To get an IPS display of some sort, preferably one 27" or larger. But the thought of spending $800 or more on a monitor, even one as nice as a Dell 30" or a Samsung whatever doesn't quite sit right with me and my meager (meagre, for our British chums) budget.

Until this fell into my lap.

m__61c63dc2e0a775b7a4b79f79bba2c715__m.jpg

m__5316112073c6e538ef1fb31cfd7a91e9__m.jpg

It's a 27" S-IPS monitor, running at 2560x1440, for just around $400. That's utterly bonkers. But a number of Korean display manufacturers decided they'd buy up a bunch of the LG panels used in, among other things, the Apple Thunderbolt Display, and slap them in some much cheaper housings. And sell them (in Korea) for about $250. Recently, though, some enterprising eBay sellers started shipping them overseas at the $400 mark (give or take), and the fine folks at [H]ardForum and Overclock.net have gone batshit for them. Even, in some cases, overclocking the actual refresh rates of the displays themselves to run them at, say, 100Hz rather than 60Hz. This is also bonkers. The base models only come with dual-link DVI output (ones with more outputs come at the expense of added cost and added input lag), but tempered glass and built-in speakers are available, too.

There are two main manufacturers, Shimian and Yamakasi (but with product names of Achevia and Catleap). Achevia models are cheaper, but with crappy stands (but VESA mounting holes), while the Catleaps are more expensive, and have their VESA hardware stuck behind a rather sturdier stand. Recently, though (as in hours ago), a third model came into the mix: Crossover. Crossover is notable because its stand features full tilt, swivel, height, and pivot functionality. (And just looks plain badass, as seen above.)

Anyway. It's 1:20 AM and I'm tired as hell, but I just ordered mine, and I wanted to share with you all. If you're willing to take the risk of international shipping, this could be ridiculous (in the best possible way).

Keep us updated, trying to find a cheap 2560x1440 monitor is hard.

Chris R

I'd venture $170-190 MSRP, which is actually cheap for a high-end mobo. Not bad at all for what you're getting.

You really think it will be that cheap? I was expecting at least $300, with the price being inflated for no reason due to the ROG tag attached to it.

If it was sub $200 I'd probably consider buying a WiFi and/or a 16/32 GB SSD to stick in the module slot.

mkenyon

Banned
You really think it will be that cheap? I was expecting at least $300, with the price being inflated for no reason due to the ROG tag attached to it.

If it was sub $200 I'd probably consider buying a WiFi and/or a 16/32 GB SSD to stick in the module slot.
That's the current price of the Gene-Z. $300 would be for the Maximus V Extreme.

Aeana

Hm, well, from reading the Kepler thread, it seems like I'll be waiting a while for something that might not even be worth it, and I'm not sure how much longer I can wait anyway. So if I want to replace my broken 560 Ti, should I just get another 560 Ti, or has a better value come around in the last year or so? Note I don't want to pay much more than $250.

I think I'm also considering going ahead and getting a 2500K and a new motherboard to go with it since I"ve been limited by this Athlon II 4X since the day I got it.

mkenyon

Banned
There might be a price drop when Kepler arrives in the lower tiered cards. 560Ti 448 core cards can be found for $250 and would provide a tiny bump.

Otherwise, I have a MSI TFII 560Ti I'm looking to offload if you are interested. I know I won't be able to not buy the 680 when it's released.

JADS

/

Jeez that is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Please, keep us posted.

Dibbz

Seasonic X650 for $99.99. Promo code: EMCNGJG93. I had one of these running an OC'd 2500K and two 560Ti's. Pretty amazing PSU.

Force GT 120GB for $164, 134 w/ MIR.

I need a new psu since my old 500w Antec is making a whining noise. Would it be worth the price for a 750w psu in anticipation for the new nvidia's or would a decent 550w suffice? I don't really want to spend much money but if it is worth it in the long run I don't mind.

1-D_FTW

I need a new psu since my old 500w Antec is making a whining noise. Would it be worth the price for a 750w psu in anticipation for the new nvidia's or would a decent 550w suffice? I don't really want to spend much money but if it is worth it in the long run I don't mind.

The new "high-end" 680 only has a TDP of 195 watts. If you're using an Intel processor, single GPU, and aren't doing extreme over-clocks, a quality 550w will work just fine.

scogoth

The new "high-end" 680 only has a TDP of 195 watts. If you're using an Intel processor, single GPU, and aren't doing extreme over-clocks, a quality 550w will work just fine.

Yeah I think the age of +1KW PSUs are over. Goodbye nehalem and fermi, we won't miss you.

Manp

So I nearly finished my first ever build, and it boots! Hooray!

only problem is that there are a few wires coming out of the case that don't seem to connect anywhere to the motherboard. i dunno what they're for or if they're even needed (the manual that came with the case is godawful).

there are 4 "3P connectors"

fc84d47f.jpg

your case has probably a fan controller or something. you can connect fans to those and control their speed with a knob on the front of the case.

just guessing.

:)

I have a Corsair 550W that's about 3 years old. Depending on the graphics card, think that would be OK to keep using for an Ivy bridge build?

PC_Specs.png

Those are my current PC specs. I want to play this game: Guild Wars 2 minimum requirements on high settings if possible. What do I need to upgrade, and what changes can I make between $100-$200 to run this game on high (or medium if that is all I can hope for)?

Is a new graphics card all I need? And if so, can anyone recommend me a card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom