• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
If there's no real way for me to tell if my recent crashes during WoW sessions have been due to my 8800GT video card crashing from overheating, I guess buying a new card is the only real thing to try.

I'm going to go ahead and order a 7850 - it's pricey but if you guys think my PSU can handle it, I will give it a shot, except now I'm nervous because of all the debate on whether or not I can handle it. (my PSU specs in post #527)

There are several brand choices when I search for the 7850 on Amazon though - MSI, VisionTek, XFX, ASUS, Gigabyte, PowerColor, Sapphire...totally lost here. Any recommendations?
Sapphire and Gigabyte with the twin fan coolers on top will run really quiet.
I think it's finally time for me to get my first gaming pc, a place nearby puts some packages together and I have been eyeing this one. I'd be grateful if anyone could take a quick look and let me now if I should change something in their build, weak spots that I could maybe invest a little more but get worthwhile results from.

Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
OCZ 750W ZS series Power Supply
Intel® Core i7-3930K 3.20GHz 12MB, socket 2011
Intel® BXRTS2011AC Heat Sink socket 2011/1366/1155/1156
Corsair Vengeance 16GB, 1600MHz, 2x8GB Low Profile
Asus P9X79 PRO S-2011 X79 ATX 4xPCI-E 3-WaySLI+CrossfireX
MSI GeForce GTX 680 OC 2GB GDDR5 (1058Mhz), 2 x DVI, HDMI
Intel® SSD 330 120GB 2,5# 9,5mm Reseller

I just copied almost everything from their site so I'm sorry if it looks messy, I'm in europe btw if that makes any difference.
Its good for a workstation, multimedia, and virtual machines. I dont like the PSU and the SSD isnt bad, but could be better.Total overkill for a gaming machine. You clearly are okay with spending a lot of money on a computer. You should match up something with the enthusiast build in the OP. Rather than a $300 motherboard and a $600 process, you would be better off saving that money or using it on a second video card.

Any chance you are PAC NW local?
SSD continue to drop.

Crucial M4 256GB is $160 at Newegg today only after promo code EMCYTZT2293.
Shit. Aquaero XT might have to wait for this guy.

Ledsen

I get that, but either way I should be able to get both with like a month apart from each other, im not talking longer than that, so it's more about the fact that I wanna play games this month and im worried about being screwed with the new releases @ 1080p on my 560ti after being used to maxing out games at 720p and such. Buying the card first assures me that I can sit back and max everything without a worry

dude what, the 560ti is more than capable of maxing or almost maxing games at 1080p...

Looking ahead...how do you guys handle comfy couch gaming for games like Diablo or RTS titles (hell, even FPS)? I have a friend who uses a program called xpadder and never uses a mouse/keyboard. Are there better solutions? One of the reasons I moved away from PC over the past several years is because I didn't want to be stuck at a desk for longer than necessary. Looking for some good solutions.

I use the mouse and keyboard while sitting on my couch. It's not more or less uncomfortable than using them on a desk. Just put a pillow under your arm and use a stiff mouse pad. I don't know why people (not you but in general) have such a hard time realizing this.

The other day I upgraded from my old 8800 GT to a 550 Ti (and slightly considering returning it and going for something a bit higher). The main reason I went with the 550 though was low price and reviews online showed that it worked with a 400W PSU. I have a pre-built Asus that has a 400W power supply. The last couple days I've noticed the PSU fan can be super loud at times. Strangely it seems to be loudest when idling and then can quiet down when I play games. I had it idle for an hour and it didn't quiet down until I played about five minutes of World of Warcraft and then seemed to get quieter.

So, what gives? I'm rather prepared to go out tomorrow to grab something a bit meatier for the PSU (and possibly upgrade the card again in the process). But is that even a needed solution? Is there maybe something else going on?

I'm pretty hardware dumb. I'm confident I can change parts inside but I don't get all the tech details so Googling can get rough and too tech-heavy. I did use canned air to blow out all the dust and I also put my old video card back in and it was just as loud. I swapped back to the new card and currently it's fairly quiet again but I'm not sure what's going to set it off. I could get a list of specs if needed but this is more of a general troubleshooting type of question. Based on the replies to the poster above I believe it could be a PSU issue tied to the new card.

Also, probably normal but I looked through the back of the PSU grill and there's a good bit of white gunky looking stuff. Looks sort of like marshmallow cream but probably in a more solid state, heh. If that's not normal than perhaps that's the root of the problem?

Oh, and last thing and likely more of interest to people here. If I want to go a step higher than the 550 Ti that I paid around $120 what would be a step up from there without getting too expensive. Let's say I'd be willing to step closer to $200.

Pretty sure that's glue.

Sapphire and Gigabyte with the twin fan coolers on top will run really quiet.

Thanks dude. So do you now agree with Hazaro that my PSU can handle a 7850?

Sorry about all the questions, just gotta be absolutely sure when spending $200+ on a card that may or may not even solve my issue haha

edit: these are the cards I'm looking at...not sure what the difference is...? Would any of them work in my machine?

$249.99 Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/DVI-D/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card (11200-14-20G)
$232.19 Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/DVI-D/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card (11200-07-20G)
$235.99 Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7850 2 GB GDDR5 DVI-I/HDMI/2x mini-Displayport PCI-Express 3.0 Graphic Card GV-R785OC-2GD

J2d

Its good for a workstation, multimedia, and virtual machines. I dont like the PSU and the SSD isnt bad, but could be better.Total overkill for a gaming machine. You clearly are okay with spending a lot of money on a computer. You should match up something with the enthusiast build in the OP. Rather than a $300 motherboard and a $600 process, you would be better off saving that money or using it on a second video card.

Any chance you are PAC NW local?
Ok, thanks for the advice, I guess I could go with a slightly lesser build. I just want something that's gonna last and can run most of the stuff that's out today in high settings.

I don't know what "PAC NW" stands for, I'm in Sweden.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I don't know what "PAC NW" stands for, I'm in Sweden.

Pacific Northwest. Usually meaning Washington or Oregon. I think British Columbia in Canada is also considered Pacific Northwest, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

cametall

7950 or 670?
$300 vs $400

Is the price gap worth the performance difference?
I'm kind of on a budget, I'll go 670 if it's clearly better and driver performance is a homerun. I'd prefer the cheaper card if it's not a big gap.

I see a XFX 7950 for like $270 at Newegg with Sleeping Dogs free which seems like a great bargain. Is it quiet?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150616

I can't comment between getting a 7950 or 670. Though I think most will say if you can swing it then get the 670.

Regarding XFX, I've heard their 7950s are noisey and aren't very cool. Go with Sapphire or the Gigabyte Windforce models with the twin or triple fans. Both should OC well on stock voltage, up to 1ghz easily, probably a little higher even.

Fantasmo

I can't comment between getting a 7950 or 670. Though I think most will say if you can swing it then get the 670.

Regarding XFX, I've heard their 7950s are noisey and aren't very cool. Go with Sapphire or the Gigabyte Windforce models with the twin or triple fans. Both should OC well on stock voltage, up to 1ghz easily, probably a little higher even.

Can anyone else chime in? (not that I don't believe you, but majority sway is nice :)

Also, how big is that gap? It'd be SOOOOO nice to pay around $300 and get something relatively quiet (if possible).

I would spend $400 but I'd really rather not if the performance is pretty close in most cases.

cametall

Can anyone else chime in? (not that I don't believe you, but majority sway is nice :)

Also, how big is that gap? It'd be SOOOOO nice to pay around $300 and get something relatively quiet (if possible).

I would spend $400 but I'd really rather not if the performance is pretty close in most cases.

Through a small OC the 7950 can close the clock speed gap I believe.

I don't know what pushes the 670 over the edge but it is highly recommended.

I myself just decided to save the $100 and went with the 7950.

EDIT: Check out Anandtech.com's benches. You can compare both cards head to head.

As for quiet, I guess that's a relative term, because at load my Sapphire 7950's fans aren't obnoxious but you can definitely hear them clearly. Granted I do have an aggresive fan profile set up, 1% per 1c, at 65c it switches to 2% per 1c.

Fantasmo

Through a small OC the 7950 can close the clock speed gap I believe.

I don't know what pushes the 670 over the edge but it is highly recommended.

I myself just decided to save the $100 and went with the 7950.

EDIT: Check out Anandtech.com's benches. You can compare both cards head to head.

Which 7950 did you go with? Are you happy with the performance you're getting? What games do you play and at what resolution?

My 42" HDTV is 720p lol. It's still a beautiful screen and serves me well so I expect to go with a high AA of some sort. Should keep me 60fps in most games right?

Thanks dude. So do you now agree with Hazaro that my PSU can handle a 7850?

Sorry about all the questions, just gotta be absolutely sure when spending $200+ on a card that may or may not even solve my issue haha

edit: these are the cards I'm looking at...not sure what the difference is...? Would any of them work in my machine?

$249.99 Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/DVI-D/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card (11200-14-20G)
$232.19 Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/DVI-D/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card (11200-07-20G)
$235.99 Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7850 2 GB GDDR5 DVI-I/HDMI/2x mini-Displayport PCI-Express 3.0 Graphic Card GV-R785OC-2GD

The difference seems to be that the more expensive Sapphire one is overclocked already (you can manually overclock as well).

As for which brand to go with, you can't really go wrong with either. Consider the warranty of each and the clockspeed (though the difference is negligible).

The difference seems to be that the more expensive Sapphire one is overclocked already.

As for which brand to go with, you can't really go wrong with either. Consider the warranty of each and the clockspeed (though the difference is negligible).

I went ahead and purchased this one:

Hope 1) the install process goes smoothly (never done anything like this to my PC before) and 2) the original 8800GT video card was what was causing my computer to crash in the first place!

Thanks all for the help! Any advice to beginners on replacing your video card?

cametall

Which 7950 did you go with? Are you happy with the performance you're getting? What games do you play and at what resolution?

My 42" HDTV is 720p lol. It's still a beautiful screen and serves me well so I expect to go with a high AA of some sort. Should keep me 60fps in most games right?

I bought the Sapphire 7950 950mhz OC edition. I like it a lot.

I play at 1900x1080, lately I've been playing Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 2, Sleeping Dogs (came free), Battlefield 3, all maxed out (Sleeping Dogs on extreme).

Only catch is Borderlands 2 I keep Physx off since that is an nVidia feature.

Most games stay at 60 fps with occassional dips to low 50s. Sleeping Dogs can hit the 40s. I'm not the best judge on FPS though, anything above 40 fps keeps me happy since my PCs (until this one) have been bottom-low/mid tier in performance.

EDIT: I meant Battlefield 3 ...

Salsa

dude what, the 560ti is more than capable of maxing or almost maxing games at 1080p...

what kennah and scogoth said

if I get a 120hz I wanna play above 90fps

also worth noting: one of my 560ti Twin Frozr fans is broken, this is also a factor on upgrading earlier

I bought the Sapphire 7950 950mhz OC edition. I like it a lot.

I play at 1900x1080, lately I've been playing Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 2, Sleeping Dogs (came free), Battlefield 3, all maxed out (Sleeping Dogs on extreme).

Only catch is Borderlands 2 I keep Physx off since that is an nVidia feature.

Most games stay at 60 fps with occassional dips to low 50s. Sleeping Dogs can hit the 40s. I'm not the best judge on FPS though, anything above 40 fps keeps me happy since my PCs (until this one) have been bottom-low/mid tier in performance.

EDIT: I meant Battlefield 3 ...
This is going to be exciting. Never in my life have I witnessed a PC game full max anything.

What's the next big graphical showcase coming to PC?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
7950 or 670?
$300 vs $400

Is the price gap worth the performance difference?
I'm kind of on a budget, I'll go 670 if it's clearly better and driver performance is a homerun. I'd prefer the cheaper card if it's not a big gap.

I see a XFX 7950 for like $270 at Newegg with Sleeping Dogs free which seems like a great bargain. Is it quiet?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150616
7950 is about 10-15% slower on average. The 670 can pull ahead in some titles with AA on to 20-45% (Like Battlefield and Batman).

It's a beast of a card overall and fantastic value. You can't go wrong at that price. It launched for $450 I think.
I went ahead and purchased this one:

Hope 1) the install process goes smoothly (never done anything like this to my PC before) and 2) the original 8800GT video card was what was causing my computer to crash in the first place!

Thanks all for the help! Any advice to beginners on replacing your video card?
Uninstall drivers. Shutdown. Remove video card. Install new card. Install new drivers.

Your PSU should be ok as an average CPU+GPU system load should only be around 220W, peaking around 250W. If you think of it as adding 2 HDD's and a fan, that's the extra power draw vs the 8800GT.

When possible I'd still swap in a VP 450 though.

cametall

This is going to be exciting. Never in my life have I witnessed a PC game full max anything.

What's the next big graphical showcase coming to PC?

I have no idea. Maybe Metro Last Light or the upcoming Aliens game... Crysis 3 and FarCry 3 too.

Currently Crysis 2, The Witcher 2, Sleeping Dogs (with the free Extreme DLC), and Battlefield 3 push graphics cards quite hard.

I should reinstall The Witcher 2 and test it out. Haven't done that yet with my new card, though my GTX 460 ran it fairly well at higher settings.

Uninstall drivers. Shutdown. Remove video card. Install new card. Install new drivers.

Your PSU should be ok as an average CPU+GPU system load should only be around 220W, peaking around 250W. If you think of it as adding 2 HDD's and a fan, that's the extra power draw vs the 8800GT.

When possible I'd still swap in a VP 450 though.

Okay, thanks for all the help!

Salsa

Two 680s and I still dont get 120fps in BF3 even at 1080p

well yeah, but to this day BF3 still pushes hardware more than upcoming releases

also of note that anything above 75hz already feels different, so I dont need 120fps constant

I have no idea. Maybe Metro Last Light or the upcoming Aliens game... Crysis 3 and FarCry 3 too.

Currently Crysis 2, The Witcher 2, Sleeping Dogs (with the free Extreme DLC), and Battlefield 3 push graphics cards quite hard.

I should reinstall The Witcher 2 and test it out. Haven't done that yet with my new card, though my GTX 460 ran it fairly well at higher settings.

Crysis 3?
Ok cool. That's perfect becasue I'm playing Crysis 2 on 360 right now and I'm floored by the visuals in that game.

Thanks guys.

inyue

Banned
I would be glad for some recommendations on my future rig:

CPU Core i5 3570K ¥18,571
MSI Z77A-G43 ¥8,981
CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 ¥3,580 + ¥525
Xonar DG ¥2,909
Crucial m4 128GB ¥7,616
WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB ¥5,870

Total of ¥48000 or U$610....

Now I think I need a GPU, power supply, heat sink and a case.

For the GPU I'll probably for the GTX670, I need to read more about the brands, but the cheapest ones here it's the Zotac, Zotac with twin cooler and the JETSTREAM form Palit. Each one for like ¥32,000 or U$410.

I'm currently using a gaming notebook Asus G73JH. According on professional reviews, the noise level in IDLE is 34 dB and in high load is like 40dB...

So I'm looking for some quiet solution (if I can have some...)

Hyper 212 EVO looks like quiet and cheaper. Do I have any better options? Maybe the pre-made watercooling things?

I never thought that the case was so expensive, was trying to get one for like U$60 but I think I won't :U

What I'm thinking so far:
CORSAIR Obsidian 550D ¥12,000 U$152
Fractal Design R4 ¥11,000 U$140
ANTEC P280 ¥10,000 U$130
Fractal Design R3 ¥9,000 U$115

For the power supply, coudn't find anything at the OP list, so... :(

Fantasmo

Fuck me, the motherboard I just received doesn't have analog 5.1 and my receiver only has 5.1 analog in, no HDMI. I didn't even check, I'm such an asshole. Fuck.
I bought the P8Z77-M instead of the M-Pro.

UUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRGH

What options do I have? Do I need to return this?

Ledsen

what kennah and scogoth said

if I get a 120hz I wanna play above 90fps

also worth noting: one of my 560ti Twin Frozr fans is broken, this is also a factor on upgrading earlier

Well you yourself said that you'll be getting your new GPU very soon after the screen, surely you can play @ 60 fps until then? Anyway, seems you've already decided to go with the GPU first so do that.

Salsa

Well you yourself said that you'll be getting your new GPU very soon after the screen, surely you can play @ 60 fps until then? Anyway, seems you've already decided to go with the GPU first so do that.

what if I cant max out Dishonored @ 1080p on my 560ti

WHAT THEN

;_;

I also gotta say that im reading stuff about the S23A700D having issues with gamma shift and blueish/purple tint. ugh fuck the availability around here

Shambles

what if I cant max out Dishonored @ 1080p on my 560ti

WHAT THEN

;_;

I also gotta say that im reading stuff about the S23A700D having issues with gamma shift and blueish/purple tint. ugh fuck the availability around here

Just wait until you can buy both at the same time. You'll save yourself some stress and sleepless nights. :p

Salsa

Just wait until you can buy both at the same time. You'll save yourself some stress and sleepless nights. :p

not an option sadly, counting on the money of selling my current card to buy the other thing :p already have an interested party

Two 680s and I still dont get 120fps in BF3 even at 1080p

Huh? I get a steady 60 pretty much all the time on max settings with a 670, I imagine 680s in SLI (with the kind of scaling you get with Kepler) to maintain 120fps constantly. That's odd.

scogoth

Huh? I get a steady 60 pretty much all the time on max settings with a 670, I imagine 680s in SLI (with the kind of scaling you get with Kepler) to maintain 120fps constantly. That's odd.

Max for me includes 4xMSAA. And is really hard to push BF3 that high. When i have three screens (5760x1080) it goes from 100fps to 70fps so its not a scaling issues, just the game.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I can finally join the 16gb club:

16gb.jpg

and the new ram actually matches my mobo color :)
G.Skill Ripjaws X ftw

hemtae

I'm going for the excellent build in the OP and ordered all my parts using the links from pcpartpicker. Anyways I must have become temporarily blind or something because what I thought was suppose to be the PSU is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

And all the correspondence they have sent me clearly says that it is in fact 8GB of RAM. So my question is is that reputable company or will those sticks of RAM explode once I attach it to my motherboard?

Couple questions:

Looking to get a new keyboard, under $100, possibly mechanical/silent. Any suggestions?

Also I'm packing a 5770 from two years ago. Is it time to upgrade or will I still be good for a while longer? Other specs: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black 3.2ghz, 12 GB ram, Crucial m4 SSD

mkenyon

Banned
Couple questions:

Looking to get a new keyboard, under $100, possibly mechanical/silent. Any suggestions?

Also I'm packing a 5770 from two years ago. Is it time to upgrade or will I still be good for a while longer? Other specs: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black 3.2ghz, 12 GB ram, Crucial m4 SSD
OP, read the Tech report link about CPU performance. I think its a worthwhile upgrade if it won't totally screw up your budget. Best bang for the buck would be just a GPU upgrade.

As far as the keyboard goes, OP has you covered there. CMStorm Rapid Red for tenkeyless is the best buy in mechanical boards.
I'm going for the excellent build in the OP and ordered all my parts using the links from pcpartpicker. Anyways I must have become temporarily blind or something because what I thought was suppose to be the PSU is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

And all the correspondence they have sent me clearly says that it is in fact 8GB of RAM. So my question is is that reputable company or will those sticks of RAM explode once I attach it to my motherboard?
1.65V=not optimal. Send it back.

CatPee

Couple questions:

I don't know if any silent models below $100, but the SteelSeries 6Gv2 is built like a tank and its Cherry MX Black keys aren't too terribly loud at bottoming out. If you have pretty decent finger strength and want linear keys, it's perfect. I'm in love with mine.

As for upgrades, GPU is a must. You can probably hold out until Haswell for the rest.

So I just got a voicemail from Fry's. I was at the end of my rope with this build. Had the power supply checked out at Fry's, replaced the mother board, replaced and upgraded the ram, so I pay the $70 to have them deal with it and turns out that it was the power supply after all.

Kinda feel like I've been robbed of a successful build, $70 and a little sanity...

Hi guys,
I was wondering if it were better for me to wait until Black Friday to jump on getting a decent deal on SSDs. I've been looking at prices on Slickdeals and its usually around 160 for 256GB. Am I gonna find a better deal in a month or so?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Newegg says its 1.65V but the package it came in says 1.5V. So I don't really know what to do.
If the sticks say 1.5V on them run em at 1.5V
Team is alright.
Hi guys,
I was wondering if it were better for me to wait until Black Friday to jump on getting a decent deal on SSDs. I've been looking at prices on Slickdeals and its usually around 160 for 256GB. Am I gonna find a better deal in a month or so?
Possible, but hard to believe.
I'd only jump on the 830 / m4 right now so if those come up on sale I'd nab one.

mkenyon

Banned
What cases are you guys using? I want to replace my 550D but I can't make up my mind lol.
I think I've got an idea of your tastes between the FT02 and 550D. Give me a budget and I'll give you your best options.
This is the next one i'll be getting. Unless i find a better one by the time i have money.
I don't like aggressive cases at all. But this is the one in that category that I love. Got to handle it quite a bit at PAX, and I'm really impressed.

CzWatl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom