• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decado

Thanks. I have one on my work laptop, but haven't had much time on it.

Also, any feedback on this: "Also, my current windows 7 pc has an issue with 1tb internal HDs. It stopped recognizing it for some reason. I heard it was an issue with W7...was it ever fixed?"

It has royally screwed my current pc and I'd like to make sure it won't happen again. I believe it's a wd hd, as well :/

Edit: and a 520w power source is good for that build? I swear I have something like a 720 in my current pc..,

PC related and not worth a new thread...

Can anyone help me in the world of wireless headsets? I need something for Skype but I'm struggling to find anything which will fit the bill. I don't want bluetooth as every bluetooth headset I've ever tried to use on my PCs has ended up having one sort of problem or another.

I really just need it for Skype so I don't really care too much about the sound quality, but ideally it should be light and comfortable as I'll be wearing it for hours at a time for work.

Faster everything. Faster boot, faster loading of programs, documents, files and games, faster folder browsing (yep, seriously), faster faster faster faster. Just about every little action you could think of that you do hundreds of times per day is faster and snappier. It's not something you can imagine without having actually used one, but when you do, you'll never want to go back.
When I was looking to maybe get one, a guy that worked at Fry's told me that SSDs tend to go bad pretty quickly/often.

Mangotron

When I was looking to maybe get one, a guy that worked at Fry's told me that SSDs tend to go bad pretty quickly/often.

Depends on the brand, but that more or less isn't true anymore. They do have a "limited" lifespan, but it's comparable to a regular HDD and you'll probably upgrade before they die.

sk3tch

EVGA GTX 680 Classified cards are no longer shipping with the EVBot plug (external hardware that lets you modify the voltage) - NVIDIA clamped down on them! Crazy...

So no software, firmware switch mods (MSI) and now no $80+ external hardware required mods (EVGA)...NVIDIA is really shutting down enthusiasts this gen!!

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1755509

Varna

EVGA GTX 680 Classified cards are no longer shipping with the EVBot plug (external hardware that lets you modify the voltage) - NVIDIA clamped down on them! Crazy...

So no software, firmware switch mods (MSI) and now no $80+ external hardware required mods (EVGA)...NVIDIA is really shutting down enthusiasts this gen!!

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1755509

Feels like Nvidia is heading in a really bad direction. They refuse to allow users to have the option of disabling GPU boost in kepler cards. Even though they cause serious problems in certain games.

Had a scary crash last night. Was watching a YouTube video when the screen instantly became multi-colored rainbow pixelated and the sound started a glitchy looping and I had to force shutdown.

My computer is a 2006 Dell bundle so I know my hardware is aging. I'm going to need a new PC soon. I do not have the knowledge or the time to build my own so I'm looking for any recommended manufacturers. And if I wanted to just buy a desktop tower (for gaming) in the $1500 price range, where should I go? Amazon? Best Buy? PC manufacturers' sites like dell.com?

mkenyon

Banned
Meanwhile you can get overclocking insurance from Intel!

There's certainly something odd going on with NVIDIA and Kepler. I feel like there is some secret lurking just below the surface of 22nm, dynamic volts, low power, and a mid range card being served up as the high end card.

I wonder if they just got sick of filling RMA's on overvolted cards that die early. Seems like a more simple and probable answer. The previous pondering is a lot more fun though.
Had a scary crash last night. Was watching a YouTube video when the screen instantly became multi-colored rainbow pixelated and the sound started a glitchy looping and I had to force shutdown.

My computer is a 2006 Dell bundle so I know my hardware is aging. I'm going to need a new PC soon. I do not have the knowledge or the time to build my own so I'm looking for any recommended manufacturers. And if I wanted to just buy a desktop tower (for gaming) in the $1500 price range, where should I go? Amazon? Best Buy? PC manufacturers' sites like dell.com?
Pac NW by chance? Even if not, I'll build you a SFF PC and ship it to you.

kennah

I wonder what the price would be for me to ship it to our apparently hated cousins to the north. This RAM is seriously amazing.

BTW, finally got a decent box to ship the stuff to Canada, as the price was determined by the size rather than the weight. Everyone's stuff that hasn't come will be going out tomorrow.

No rush, thanks for doing this!

Edit: Also if you wanted to wait on shipping until I pick up the P67 that's cool too.

Javaman

Quick question...

I've got a Dell pc with an OEM windows install. If I build a new computer can I use the windows product key to install windows onto another computer? (assuming I take this one out of commission) Is there an official Microsoft site where you can download Windows 7 for use with the key? Thanks!

Decado

I'm about to order this now. :) One final question: Will this be a noisy bastard? I picked what I think is a quiet GPU, but that's all I know.

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy $80
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 980MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card $380
MOBO: Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI mITX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 1PCI-E16 HDMI SATA3 USB3.0 DVI HDMI Motherboard $130
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail $220
RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit $45
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80+ Bronze 6+8PIN PCI-E W/ 120MM Fan $80
Heatsink: Cooler Master GeminII S524 CPU Heatsink LGA1366 LGA1156 LGA1155 AM3 AM2+ 120mm 800-1800RPM $34
Fans: X2 Bitfenix Spectre Pro BFF-SPRO-12025KK-RP All Black $20
Sound: None
Optical: LG CH12LS28 12X Blu-Ray Reader & Lightscribe DVD Writer Combo Drive
Hard-drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RP $70
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5IN SATA3 MCX Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD

mkenyon

Banned
Just replace the CoolerMaster heatsink fan with the Spectre Pro and you have an almost silent operating computer even at load.

For flow, Id keep the front intake and rear exhaust, but put the second Spectre Pro on the top of the case as an intake. That will provide fresh air for the CPU heatsink and provide good positive pressure to push all of the hot air from the GPU and CPU right out of the case.

Decado

Just replace the CoolerMaster heatsink fan with the Spectre Pro and you have an almost silent operating computer even at load.

For flow, Id keep the front intake and rear exhaust, but put the second Spectre Pro on the top of the case as an intake. That will provide fresh air for the CPU heatsink and provide good positive pressure to push all of the hot air from the GPU and CPU right out of the case.

Will this build still be fairly quiet? I'm not assembling it myself, so I doubt NCIX will do anything beyond the norm.

Also, which spectre pro do I need if I'm going to change it? There seem to be more than a few. thanks.

Pac NW by chance? Even if not, I'll build you a SFF PC and ship it to you.
Seeing as no one else replied to me, should I assume that a custom-built PC is pretty much the only way to go nowadays or could I still get a reliable, powerful and fair-priced desktop from Dell or whoever?

scogoth

Seeing as no one else replied to me, should I assume that a custom-built PC is pretty much the only way to go nowadays or could I still get a reliable, powerful and fair-priced desktop from Dell or whoever?

Depends what you want. Building your own is the best value, the most fun and the highest performing. Otherwise get someone like NCIX to build it for you for $50.

The pre built ones like Alienware, Maingear, Origin, etc. will cost 10-20% more than building it yourself.

Depends what you want. Building your own is the best value, the most fun and the highest performing. Otherwise get someone like NCIX to build it for you for $50.

The pre built ones like Alienware, Maingear, Origin, etc. will cost 10-20% more than building it yourself.

I'd almost rather pay that extra 10% because I have no idea what to choose parts-wise...

Do you guys recommend any of those brands over another? I noticed some of these builds include more than one video card. Is that really necessary? How much would I need to spend on a system that could max StarCraft II? I just want a nice system that will last years and could max most modern day games but nothing ridiculous because I play mostly Blizzard games and have no desire to max Crysis 3 or something.

scogoth

I'd almost rather pay that extra 10% because I have no idea what to choose parts-wise...

Do you guys recommend any of those brands over another? I noticed some of these builds include more than one video card. Is that really necessary? How much would I need to spend on a system that could max StarCraft II? I just want a nice system that will last years and could max most modern day games but nothing ridiculous because I play mostly Blizzard games and have no desire to max Crysis 3 or something.

SC2 and D3 are CPU constrained so it won't be too expensive to get a good machine. More than 1 graphics card is only good for high resolution/multi-monitor gaming. I don't know the build quality/best price for pre-built are. Anyone have experience with that?

mkenyon

Banned
Will this build still be fairly quiet? I'm not assembling it myself, so I doubt NCIX will do anything beyond the norm.

Also, which spectre pro do I need if I'm going to change it? There seem to be more than a few. thanks.
I'm not sure what is unclear.

Even if NCIX doesn't specifically put those fans where you ask, that's something ANYONE can do.

More than 10%. And you get stuck with worse parts, usually PSU and motherboard.

Shambles

If you buy a dell chances are that you won't be able to re-use anything down the road as well. Just avoid OEM machines. The downsides are never worth the time you save building your own.

More than 10%. And you get stuck with worse parts, usually PSU and motherboard.
Good to know. Do you have a business or have just built some PCs for Gaffers by request?

If you buy a dell chances are that you won't be able to re-use anything down the road as well. Just avoid OEM machines. The downsides are never worth the time you save building your own.
So through NCIX do you basically choose the parts and then there's an option during checkout to have them build it for you?

kvn

Finally gave in and bought a new PC:
- i5 3450 with a Freezer 13 Pro
- 8 GB RAM
- ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP
- SSD 830 (128GB)

and a very awesome black Fractal Design R4 to put everything in.

My god, it was worth it for the SSD alone. That is like the most awesome and noticable speed boost I've experienced the last 10 years or so.

Put win8 x64 on it and couldn't be happier with the performance.

New graphics card will have to wait until the good ones get cheaper and I have more money. Any suggestions what I should get/wait for?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Accessories (Rough, will be changing format and adding image thumbnails later). TY Mekenyon.

Headsets - If a good mic isn't as important, check out Headphone GAF. The headphones there will always be better quality than the ones listed here (for the price).
  • Plantronics .Audio 655 - $35
  • Fatal1ty - $40-50, CM STORM Sonuz - $70
  • ROCCAT Kave - $110, ASUS Vulcan - $120
  • Sennheiser PC-350/360 - $150/$225 - Best microphone, worth it for that alone.

Keyboards - MX Brown = Quiet tactile, MX Blue = loud tactile, MX Black = stiff linear, MX Red = soft linear. Only get Thermaltake/Razer if you need a tenkey.
  • Budget Rosewill RIKB - $10, Logitech K200 - $25
  • Enhanced Razer Arctosa - $44, ROCCAT Arvo - $40-55, Logitech K750 - $60-70 Membrane keyboards with decent build quality, K750 and Arctosa have scissor switches.
  • Excellent CM Storm - Quickfire Rapid - $80, Thermaltake Meka/Razer Blackwidow - $80
  • Enthusiast Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless - $140, Noppoo Choc - $100, Happy Hacking Pro - $344

Mice
  • Logitech SBF-96 - $15, CM Storm Xornet - $30 Xornet is the best buy in mice below $60.
  • CM Storm Spawn - $40, ROCCAT Kova - $50, SteelSeries Kana - $55 Spawn for claw, Kova for palm, Kana for smallish hand palm.
  • SteelSeries Sensei RAW - $60 Best mouse.
  • SteelSeries Sensei - $100 Best mouse with a little more.

Mr. Robot

Can anyone shed some light on me about APUs performance?

I recently got an A6-3650 Llano and the performance is great, really satisfied with it, im thinking about getting another one but i saw that the A6-5400K Trinity just released which is supposed to have better integrated graphics.

Now, the 3650 is a 2.6GHz quad-core and the 5400 is a 3.6GHz dual core, what is better? the higher clocked dual core or the lower quad core, considering that the pc is going to be used for some light gaming at not so great resolutions, light photo editing and office, nothing fancy, also i don't plan on upgrading so the FM1 dead-end is no problem.

scogoth

Just a PSA. Air filters work! And clean your PC

uQUqF.jpg

xJbrn.jpg

mug

Can anyone shed some light on me about APUs performance?

I recently got an A6-3650 Llano and the performance is great, really satisfied with it, im thinking about getting another one but i saw that the A6-5400K Trinity just released which is supposed to have better integrated graphics.

Now, the 3650 is a 2.6GHz quad-core and the 5400 is a 3.6GHz dual core, what is better? the higher clocked dual core or the lower quad core, considering that the pc is going to be used for some light gaming at not so great resolutions, light photo editing and office, nothing fancy, also i don't plan on upgrading so the FM1 dead-end is no problem.
The new one uses a different socket/board - FM1 is the older. You're probably stuck with FM1 and you can upgrade to the A8 which is on sale these days and eventually add a 6670 to crossfire.

Eideka

Banned
I need some RAM advice.

I have a pair of GSkill 10600, should I upgrade to a set of Corsair Dominator 12800 ?

Would that make a difference ?

Decado

I'm not sure what is unclear.

Even if NCIX doesn't specifically put those fans where you ask, that's something ANYONE can do.
Alright, I'll ask them and see what happens. Otherwise I'll assume the coolermaster won't be too bad.

OK. I think I got it. So from my build I just have to remove the coolermaster. I don't need to add anymore fans, just use the two Spectre pro's I have in that build (one on top and one in the rear)?

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy $80
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 980MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card $380
MOBO: Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI mITX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 1PCI-E16 HDMI SATA3 USB3.0 DVI HDMI Motherboard $130
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail $220
RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit $45
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80+ Bronze 6+8PIN PCI-E W/ 120MM Fan $80
Heatsink: None (remove coolermaster)
Fans: X2 Bitfenix Spectre Pro BFF-SPRO-12025KK-RP All Black $20
Sound: None
Optical: LG CH12LS28 12X Blu-Ray Reader & Lightscribe DVD Writer Combo Drive
Hard-drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RP $70
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5IN SATA3 MCX Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD

kvn

How many games can you fit on there with a 128gb ssd?

I guess that depends on the games' install sizes ;)

Didn't install a single game yet, because I don't have a new graphics card yet (as I mentioned). Actually it doesn't really matter anyways, because games do not really benefit from the SSD and I would install them on my old HDD.

Violater

I guess that depends on the games' install sizes ;)

Didn't install a single game yet, because I don't have a new graphics card yet (as I mentioned). Actually it doesn't really matter anyways, because games do not really benefit from the SSD and I would install them on my old HDD.

Ahh I see

Mr. Robot

The new one uses a different socket/board - FM1 is the older. You're probably stuck with FM1 and you can upgrade to the A8 which is on sale these days and eventually add a 6670 to crossfire.

Thanks, i know about the 5400k using the FM2, i don't really mind the FM1 dead end, since it is probably going to get casual use and never be upgraded, just wanted to get some advice on the dual core at higher speeds or quad core at lower speeds for the use it will be getting...

Hellish

You have no idea what you are talking about!

HDMI cables don't change the damn colour!

They are digital! That means they do not use the shape of an analog waveform to determine what to display (and thus changed in a major way with the shape of the waveform), they only use pulses to transfer data in an abstract way.

Think of Morse code, just because the shape of a Morse Code pulse's waveform could be distorted does not mean that the word "red" would change into "orange" on a reliable basis (and not something like "gf[;d;f;ghksg").

Now think of that x2000000 (for every pixel on the screen), that is what it would take to change the colour tint via a HDMI cable!

Why are you quoting the first post when the discussion progressed a good 10 posts past this point, like I said I would be on the same side of the fence if I had not seen it happen.

Then I said I believe the device should be the one dictating the color even though different revisions of HDMI cables do have different color support & I do not know why or how it happened but it did.

The only logical (not really) reason I can think of here is one was at an extremely old spec, and did not support the most recent color space the xbox could output + a cheap long(<20' though) cable having some influence, if this is even possible.

...tbh I do not care.

knitoe

Ahh I see

Games that load data constantly, mostly open large worlds, do run better on SSD, but other than faster noticable loading times on startup and between levels, most don't. Most of my games are on steam, and with Steam Mover, I can always put the games I am currently playing on a SSD and move them back to a HDD when I am done.

Salsa

welp, ran into a bit of trouble and apparently I wont have the funds I was thinking to spend on an upgrade, at least not for a month or so.

So, decision to make: 1080p 120hz monitor (over the 1360x768 26 inch im using now) or GTX 670 FTW

pretty much set on the card now. Getting the monitor first would mean that my 560ti would perform worse on some of the games im interested in playing these days (Dishonored, Borderlands 2, etc) because of the better res.

At the same time it'll sure feel silly to be playing on a 720p-ish resolution with that card, lol. Here's hoping the monitor doesnt go out of stock (they have one left D:) before I get the rest of my upgrade money.

ithorien

welp, ran into a bit of trouble and apparently I wont have the funds I was thinking to spend on an upgrade, at least not for a month or so.

So, decision to make: 1080p 120hz monitor (over the 1360x768 26 inch im using now) or GTX 670 FTW

pretty much set on the card now. Getting the monitor first would mean that my 560ti would perform worse on some of the games im interested in playing these days (Dishonored, Borderlands 2, etc) because of the better res.

At the same time it'll sure feel silly to be playing on a 720p-ish resolution with that card, lol. Here's hoping the monitor doesnt go out of stock (they have one left D:) before I get the rest of my upgrade money.

I think card. Think about it, glorious 720p.

Trust me, mang. Get the monitor. Especially if they are low in stock and you're not able to get a different 120Hz model. The GPUs will stick around, I'm sure.

sk3tch

No DAS keyboards under accessories? Blasphemy, madness!

I've got the Model S Ultimate Silent Keyboard...they're overrated, IMO. Not bad, not insanely great, either. I like my CM QuickFire better - or even my Razer BlackWidow Ultimate.

Salsa

Trust me, mang. Get the monitor. Especially if they are low in stock and you're not able to get a different 120Hz model. The GPUs will stick around, I'm sure.

To be fair the cards stock also never lasts long tho

The way I'm thinking about it is that if I get the monitor first, I still wouldn't be able to take advantage of it since no way I'm pushing 120fps with my 560ti

PC related and not worth a new thread...

Can anyone help me in the world of wireless headsets? I need something for Skype but I'm struggling to find anything which will fit the bill. I don't want bluetooth as every bluetooth headset I've ever tried to use on my PCs has ended up having one sort of problem or another.

I really just need it for Skype so I don't really care too much about the sound quality, but ideally it should be light and comfortable as I'll be wearing it for hours at a time for work.

Anyone? Might the headphone thread be helpful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom