• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an image of the inside of my HTPC. This is a mirrored motherboard. The PCIE slot is on the very top of the board so that it is physically impossible to put a card in that took up two faceplates. Because of this the best thing I could stick in was a radeon 7000 series card since even though it takes up two slots inside the case, it only has a single slot faceplate. You'll want to check this on your machine as the 7850's take up two faceplate slots. Dell specifically did this with my machine to prevent people from put in dual slot cards. You can also see the spiky heatsink above the card. I had to look for the thinnest 7750 in order for the fan and shroud to infringe as little as possible on the heatsink. I still have to mess with the heatsink to get it to fit.

Looks just like the inside of mine. Damn. So how do I "cut back heatsinks?" Is it possible to just remove one of the plates or something?

Ty4on

Dude thanks man :) This is the reason why I came here... these kind of information isn't easy to deduce by one's self without some pain and expense. I'll look for a suitable update. Any idea on what kind of blower style cards are low on noise?

EDIT:
How about this?

EVGA 04G-P4-3673-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
14-130-824-TS

They aren't as quiet as big dual fan coolers, but should be quiet at idle.

Here you can hear the buzzing of the stock 670 cooler, the FTW you chose will not buzz.
Here you can hear the stock 670 compared to some other cards. (note the 680 has the same cooler as the FTW, but gets a little hotter)
And if you're willing to go for a 7950 over a 670 (worse stock performance and higher power consumption, but overclocks better and is cheaper) you could take a look at the HIS IceQ.

Shambles

Looks just like the inside of mine. Damn. So how do I "cut back heatsinks?" Is it possible to just remove one of the plates or something?

Is your PCIE slot the very top slot? If it is I don't see how this will work for you. What was the last GPU that was in the machine? If the old one was a dual slot you'll be fine. When you get a chance to take pictures we can give you more solid answers.

ithorien

So I'm looking and looking at mechanical keyboards, kinda sold on the Das for the Cherry Browns... and then I notice that someone still sells the Microsoft Internet Keyboard on Amazon.

Hardest decision of my life.

Ty4on

I'm having a hard time understanding why this drive is $70. It seems too small for your case (isn't it a laptop drive?) and you can get 24x ones for under $20.

It's a slim slot drive which is required for the FT03. I have no idea if there are cheaper drives, but they seem just a little bit more expensive than normal drives in Norway (3-400 versus 200 which is low enough for me to pay just to never see that fucking tray in my life :p).
FT03B-Front.jpg.jpeg

Mangotron

It's a slim slot drive which is required for the FT03. I have no idea if there are cheaper drives, but they seem just a little bit more expensive than normal drives in Norway (3-400 versus 200 which is low enough for me to pay just to never see that fucking tray in my life :p).

Ohh ok, didn't pay attention to the micro atx case. Carry on then.

I'm having a hard time understanding why this drive is $70. It seems too small for your case (isn't it a laptop drive?) and you can get 24x ones for under $20.

I know but it's the only drive I found so far that will go into this cases slot-loaded design. Interestingly enough, the case and the drive are both made by the same company. Nice racket :(

Edit: beaten!

Thank you :) I'll review these links in detail.

EDIT:
Wow the 7000 series had some quite fans on the none-reference designs. The 670s sound barable on idle but its good to know that the FTW won't have the crazy buzz. At this point, I think I'll try it and just return it of it's to bad... I have an old 285 to get me through the cold cold nights of RMA hell :D I'll be pulling the trigger Friday evening in hopes of getting more feedback until then.

Is your PCIE slot the very top slot? If it is I don't see how this will work for you. What was the last GPU that was in the machine? If the old one was a dual slot you'll be fine. When you get a chance to take pictures we can give you more solid answers.
Looks like the heat sink is out of the way, what do you think? I can take more pics if you'd like.

Does PC GAF have any favorites/recommendations for a UPS? I'm looking at a 1000VA FSP. Not sure if 850VA is enough

i3-2100
HD5850 (factory OC'd) (sometimes I OC even more)
2x4GB DDR3
DVDRW
20" LCD monitor
2x HDD, 1x SSD

edit: Looking at the pics... the eff... I can only plug the monitor?
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f107/xtreme_0012/21092010344.jpg[img]

My PSU uses this (but [B]I broke the ground pin off[/B])
[img]http://www.germantravel-info.com/graphics/plug_grndg.jpg[img]

While my PS3 and laptop uses this:
[img]http://www.wellpowercord.com/Clkj_Images/upfile/bigpic/BS-1363-plug-Bs1.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
This is a bad idea for a PSU.

I don't understand your post at all really. So you have a north american PSU. Where are your other devices from? Where do you live? I'm confused.

Shambles

Looks like the heat sink is out of the way what do you think? I can take more pics if you'd like.

Looks like you should be fine. I see there is another PCI slot above the single slot GPU that's in there now. Crisis averted. I don't know how that blue plastic support bracket for the GPU is setup but even if it gets in the way of the 7850 you can just start breaking that shit apart to make it work. I ended up breaking huge chunks out of the annoying ass shroud around the CPU when I had to make do with an X1500 for a while. Doesn't look like it'll get in the way for you though.

bro1

Banned
Are AMD chips really that bad these days? My first build was an Athlon 2500 which was awesome back in the day. Everybody these days is doing intel.

Also, are AMD graphic drivers still crap?

scogoth

mkenyon: Aquaero worth it? I am intrigued by a whole computer controller but will not be using any other aqua computer parts. I would use it for fan control, flow rate monitor, lighting control and pump monitor.

Ty4on

I'm hesitating between the EVGA FTW and the ASUS 670

Any tips?

Just go for the Asus in a stock case. It will blow hot air into your case, so make sure it has a way of getting out, but if it doesn't just inhale its exaust it should run more quiet than the EVGA one. It's just that the rotated motherboard of the FT03 makes it hard for heat pipes to work properly when far down in the case.

Looks like you should be fine. I see there is another PCI slot above the single slot GPU that's in there now. Crisis averted. I don't know how that blue plastic support bracket for the GPU is setup but even if it gets in the way of the 7850 you can just start breaking that shit apart to make it work. I ended up breaking huge chunks out of the annoying ass shroud around the CPU when I had to make do with an X1500 for a while. Doesn't look like it'll get in the way for you though.

Good to know! From the pics, the new 7850 looks to be massive so I may have to break apart some of the blue plastic.

Are AMD chips really that bad these days? My first build was an Athlon 2500 which was awesome back in the day. Everybody these days is doing intel.

I wouldn't say AMD chips are bad, they're just mostly outclassed by Intel chips.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

Graphics driver differences have mostly been eliminated, but you won't get PhysX on an ATI card (has to be CPU-based).

Sorry I just scrolled back and saw your post with the picture of the Dell PSU. Let me find the one you're looking at.

Edit: The VP-450? It's a great PSU that could power a lot more than a 7850. If the Dell PSU doesn't work the VP-450 makes a great choice.

One quick question though - it looks like the VP-450 is 450W, my current one is 425W (I think)...is it really worth replacing just for an extra 25W or is there something I'm missing?

PSU specs:

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I know but it's the only drive I found so far that will go into this cases slot-loaded design. Interestingly enough, the case and the drive are both made by the same company. Nice racket :(

Edit: beaten!

Thank you :) I'll review these links in detail.

EDIT:
Wow the 7000 series had some quite fans on the none-reference designs. The 670s sound barable on idle but its good to know that the FTW won't have the crazy buzz. At this point, I think I'll try it and just return it of it's to bad... I have an old 285 to get me through the cold cold nights of RMA hell :D I'll be pulling the trigger Friday evening in hopes of getting more feedback until then.

Considered going driveless? Is it something you're just speccing from habit?

Shambles

One quick question though - it looks like the VP-450 is 450W, my current one is 425W...is it really worth replacing just for an extra 25W or is there something I'm missing?

PSU specs:

The posted wattage on any PSU actually doesn't mean much. By looking at the amperage on the 12V rail you see how much current it can push to your GPU. While your dell PSU has 18A on the 12V rail the VP450's two 12V rails push about 29A. That gives you a better picture of how much stronger the VP450 is. I'm assuming that the power supply has the proper power connection for the GPU?

Edit: Looking at that picture I see it also has multiple 12V rails so your output should be fine. It'll easily be able to handle a 7850.

The posted wattage on any PSU actually doesn't mean much. By looking at the amperage on the 12V rail you see how much current it can push to your GPU. While your dell PSU has 18A on the 12V rail the VP450's two 12V rails push about 29A. That gives you a better picture of how much stronger the VP450 is. I'm assuming that the power supply has the proper power connection for the GPU?

Edit: Looking at that picture I see it also has multiple 12V rails so your output should be fine. It'll easily be able to handle a 7850.
Okay, think I'm going to cancel my order on the VP450 then. Thanks!

edit 2: actually I may go ahead and replace it just to be safe (already shipped anyway)...even with the multiple 12V rails it would still be a significant upgrade in power availability, right?

Shambles

Okay, think I'm going to cancel my order on the VP450 then. Thanks!

edit 2: actually I may go ahead and replace it just to be safe (already shipped anyway)...even with the multiple 12V rails it would still be a significant upgrade in power availability, right?

Multiple vs single rail doesn't mean it's better or worse. It's just different ways of reaching the same goal. While the Dell PSU probably won't be able to overload like the VP450 it'll handle very similar loads. Your entire system probably won't pull more than 250'ishW and you have plenty enough power for your GPU on the 12V. On the other hand if you've already ordered it it's not like it's an expensive PSU. Keep the Dell around as a backup. You never know when you or a friend/family member may need it.

Panzon

The moment my second monitor died I had a heart attack. You don't understand what you're missing. It's the ultimate convenience.
OK you guys convinced me. I'm gonna get two monitors. Already told the wife and she took it better than I thought

Panzon

push for 3 then :p

seriously though good luck since thats a lot of dough to place on PC so it should be a beast.
Definitely won't go for 3 monitors but I must say I'm pretty happy with my build so far. I'll show you guys what I have so far sometime tonight. Btw thanks for all the responses and all the help thus far

DTKT

Just go for the Asus in a stock case. It will blow hot air into your case, so make sure it has a way of getting out, but if it doesn't just inhale its exaust it should run more quiet than the EVGA one. It's just that the rotated motherboard of the FT03 makes it hard for heat pipes to work properly when far down in the case.

Hum, I think I might have an issue here. I have an Antec 900 which means that the card fans would be facing the bottom of my case.I don't think there are any ways to pull that air out. :|

Should I be better off with the EVGA which has the traditional "blow hot air out of the back IO port" method?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hum, I think I might have an issue here. I have an Antec 900 which means that the card fans would be facing the bottom of my case.I don't think there are any ways to pull that air out. :|

Should I be better off with the EVGA which has the traditional "blow hot air out of the back IO port" method?

What I have done in the past to cure that is removed all the case slot covers for slots below the card. That way hot air can exit out the bottom back of the case below the video card. It also helps if you install a bottom front intake fan on your case, as it creates a nice "air tunnel" across the bottom.

And I have always found that traditional blow back coolers are significantly louder.

ithorien

OK you guys convinced me. I'm gonna get two monitors. Already told the wife and she took it better than I thought

I know it looks like we were all badgering you, but it is definitely amazing. I think you'll be very happy with your choice.

EDIT- General consensus on case fans? Looking for really solid 120mm ones. Preferably quiet, good bearings etc.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I bought a couple of cathode tubes today to light my rig, am I a bad person?

Grief.exe

I know it looks like we were all badgering you, but it is definitely amazing. I think you'll be very happy with your choice.

EDIT- General consensus on case fans? Looking for really solid 120mm ones. Preferably quiet, good bearings etc.

Best of the best are always going to be gentle typhoons, they are pretty tough to find now because of the flooding. Though I've been seeing more and more.

mkenyon

Banned
Best of the best are always going to be gentle typhoons, they are pretty tough to find now because of the flooding. Though I've been seeing more and more.
Shortage is over, thankfully!

But for case air flow, there are better options out there. Best for the price would be the Corsair AF120 Quiet Editions.

piotr47

Banned
Tomorrow, I receive the last parts of my new computer!

Here are the specs :

I5 3570K (Don't know how much I can overcloack it, I'll see...)
Asus P8Z77 V LK
Noctua NH U12 (opened the box today, it's freaking beautifull!!)
DDR3 Kingston HyperX
500g seagate sata HDD (already on my actual computer)
Gygabite HD4770 (already in my actual computer)
DVD samsung writemaster
Corsair TX 650
Cooler master CM 690 II

This is the first step, I will add a SSD in a few weeks, and a GTX 660 ti or a GTX 680 in a few month (maybe Christmas...)

I will post some pictures, but I'm not an expert on cable management....

Blades64

Banned

AMD Bulldozers aren't failures IMO (they may not match Intel's performance but they're not comeplete slouches either, and they're nice for budget builds because of their prices).

AMD drivers are virtually no longer a problem. Don't give in to the mass hysteria. :)

mkenyon

Banned
AMD Bulldozers aren't failures IMO (they may not match Intel's performance but they're not comeplete slouches either, and they're nice for budget builds because of their prices).

AMD drivers are virtually no longer a problem. Don't give in to the mass hysteria. :)
http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus

Read that, it's the breakdown of what's going on with AMD procs, and why they still feel sluggish even when FPS numbers might be similar. Basically, frame latency.

AMD GPU drivers are good. Slow on crossfire profiles still, but you can create your own now.
Tomorrow, I receive the last parts of my new computer!

Here are the specs :

I5 3570K (Don't know how much I can overcloack it, I'll see...)
Asus P8Z77 V LK
Noctua NH U12 (opened the box today, it's freaking beautifull!!)
DDR3 Kingston HyperX
500g seagate sata HDD (already on my actual computer)
Gygabite HD4770 (already in my actual computer)
DVD samsung writemaster
Corsair TX 650
Cooler master CM 690 II

This is the first step, I will add a SSD in a few weeks, and a GTX 660 ti or a GTX 680 in a few month (maybe Christmas...)

I will post some pictures, but I'm not an expert on cable management....
Grats! Very exciting to be getting a big shipment like that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

New LD PC-V7 Pics for those interested in high end cases.

34fvsh.jpg

voFg5h.jpg

Immediately available:

Exterior/Interior
Black/Black
Black/Red
White/White
Black/White

www.ldcooling.com

(prices listed are with VAT)

Quick question about RAID and the Asus Extreme IV X79

I can stripe two drives on this in RAID 0:
Intel® X79 chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
Which would be used as a system drive. Correct? But then, can I have a second RAID 0 array of two more drives on this -
ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller :
2 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
To be used as a storage drive? I have tried Googling to see if the ASMedia controller has Raid support but the results are mostly people bitching about the lack of TRIM support. I don't really know what I'm doing or if I'm looking in the right place, but I would like to know if my theoretical set up is possible with this motherboard.

sk3tch

Just spent most of the day (off and on) building a new PC with some known-good parts (one of which is the mobo) - somehow during the build, a crucial DIMM slot went bad. ARRGH. I've tried many different modules and even and entirely new set. Off to Microcenter to replace the board. Just so frustrating. It's all in there...it's all perfect...but no...one DIMM slot and it's X79 so I can't work around it unless I want to run one DIMM, lol. No way I'm giving up DDR.

The memory shows up in the BIOS but it shows "abnormal" - the SPD readings are accurate but I think it's just the DIMM slot. Not much else to do. It's DIMM_B1 on an ASUS P9X79 Pro.

mkenyon

Banned
RMA?
Quick question about RAID and the Asus Extreme IV X79

I can stripe two drives on this in RAID 0:

Which would be used as a system drive. Correct? But then, can I have a second RAID 0 array of two more drives on this -

To be used as a storage drive? I have tried Googling to see if the ASMedia controller has Raid support but the results are mostly people bitching about the lack of TRIM support. I don't really know what I'm doing or if I'm looking in the right place, but I would like to know if my theoretical set up is possible with this motherboard.
TRIM only matters for SSD's. If you are using it for a mechanical drive, it'll be fine.

RMA?

TRIM only matters for SSD's. If you are using it for a mechanical drive, it'll be fine.
What I wanted to know was if it is even possible in the first place to stripe two drives in RAID 0 on the ASMedia controller of the Extreme IV X79, as well as having two on the controller that Intel provides, to make up two arrays of 4 drives - 2 on each controller.

Because on the 'Storage' section of this motherboard's spec page, it says:

Intel® X79 chipset :
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller :
2 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red

What is confusing me is that this; "Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10" which is written under the Intel X79 part, is not written under the ASMedia part, so I need confirmation that you can Raid stuff on it as well.

I hope I am being clear enough, if I'm using any wrong terminology I apologise.

Maybe Feist will show up in here with some good information since I posted an Abee picture.

Story of my life. I can't resist a new case. I really think it defines the overall computer use more than any single part. From noise to aesthetics to general tinkering, it's always a factor.
Haha... err, wait...

Garou said:
*purveyor of all things betrayalton*
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, MKenyon. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

There are polar bears starving in the wild, and you're looking to cop an Abee? How can you live with yourself? What would your family say?

Why don't you get an X500FX, while you're at it? Why'd I even introduce you two?

Next X900 I see is getting kicked in the nuts.

Seriously though, life and responsibilities have kept me away from the T180, and similar extravagances. Still, if you buy one, I WILL hunt you down. Expect choice words, and a lot of fist waving. Good day, sir!

Uninstall drivers. Shutdown. Remove video card. Install new card. Install new drivers.

Your PSU should be ok as an average CPU+GPU system load should only be around 220W, peaking around 250W. If you think of it as adding 2 HDD's and a fan, that's the extra power draw vs the 8800GT.

When possible I'd still swap in a VP 450 though.
Multiple vs single rail doesn't mean it's better or worse. It's just different ways of reaching the same goal. While the Dell PSU probably won't be able to overload like the VP450 it'll handle very similar loads. Your entire system probably won't pull more than 250'ishW and you have plenty enough power for your GPU on the 12V. On the other hand if you've already ordered it it's not like it's an expensive PSU. Keep the Dell around as a backup. You never know when you or a friend/family member may need it.
PSU sizes are standardized, so it'll fit.

You replace it by unplugging everything its connected to, unscrewing it from the chassis, putting the new one in, and replugging everything into the new PSU.

The worst that could happen if your PSU is bad is that it could kill the new GPU, motherboard, or anything its plugged into. That's unlikely. Whats most likely to happen is that your computer would just shut off under load. Assuming that it can't handle it, I mean.
The difference seems to be that the more expensive Sapphire one is overclocked already (you can manually overclock as well).

As for which brand to go with, you can't really go wrong with either. Consider the warranty of each and the clockspeed (though the difference is negligible).
Holy crap, thanks dudes! Installed a 7850 GPU and everything's working well. I should have done this a long time ago. But yeah - I was freaking out and I really appreciate all the help from everyone that replied.

mkenyon

Banned
Not only that, but I'm contemplating cutting the bottom of it for 2 240mm rads. :p
Thanks for that. Feel like I have much better understanding now. :)
NP! Thank Scott for the excellent article.
What I wanted to know was if it is even possible in the first place to stripe two drives in RAID 0 on the ASMedia controller of the Extreme IV X79, as well as having two on the controller that Intel provides, to make up two arrays of 4 drives - 2 on each controller.

Because on the 'Storage' section of this motherboard's spec page, it says:

What is confusing me is that this; "Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10" which is written under the Intel X79 part, is not written under the ASMedia part, so I need confirmation that you can Raid stuff on it as well.

I hope I am being clear enough, if I'm using any wrong terminology I apologise.
Sounds like it does not. You can *always* software RAID0. It's surprisingly good in Win7. Have kept the same software RAID going for like 3 years now. You can just swap it between builds and have windows recognize it instantly.

mkenyon

Banned
Yup. Bought an open box of the same board from MicroCenter so I can get up and running while waiting on the RMA. I guess I'll just sell the RMA or something.
I was freaking out until I realized it was Microcenter and not Frys. Continue on.

sk3tch

I was freaking out until I realized it was Microcenter and not Frys. Continue on.

Ha, yeah...$285 with tax for an ASUS P9X79 Pro open box. Not bad - and I don't have to wait for shipping, heh. They test them and stuff and I have 30 days. Seems like everything is there (not like I need anything more than the plate and the board). I just don't want to wait 2 weeks while I deal with ASUS' RMA process. Funny thing is, this board has sat in my house for probably 6+ months because I never got around to selling it. Now I've bought another one and I'm going to RMA the one that has sat around and then finally sell it to recoup costs. :p

Sounds like it does not. You can *always* software RAID0. It's surprisingly good in Win7. Have kept the same software RAID going for like 3 years now. You can just swap it between builds and have windows recognize it instantly.
Ah, interesting! Thanks for the quick responses, man, really appreciate it.

Will look into software Raiding and will try and get a little more info on that motherboard.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Holy crap, thanks dudes! Installed a 7850 GPU and everything's working well. I should have done this a long time ago. But yeah - I was freaking out and I really appreciate all the help from everyone that replied.

Glad to hear there's a happy ending. Which 7850 did you get?

And does anyone have any opinions on a 7850 vs 7950 for 1080p gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom