• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

Watercooling parts on the way. mkenyon made me do it!
Thanks for all your help, having someone to talk to about parts makes it much more reassuring.

Alphacool Monsta 240x120mm - Custom Painted White
Alphacool UT60 360x120mm - Custom Painted White
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir - Black
Monsoon Fittings - Gold
Aquaero XT
Swiftech MCP655-B D5
EK VGA Supreme HF - Bridge edition
EK FC SLI bridge
Aquacomputer flow meter

Oh and mkeyon we talked about the case mods but I forgot to mention the 680 mods. Going to build a hybrid solution with the stock fans.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I bought a couple of cathode tubes today to light my rig, am I a bad person?

Indeed, I used to rock red tubes and a few red LED fans with red tubing for the wiring. All with an embossed side window case. It was not too bad, for college. Gaudy in retrospect.

androvsky

I've been waiting on Mechwarrior Online to launch to get a new card, I'm currently using an old 9800 GX2 a relative gave me. Last week, I finally got a beta key, and I see that not only am I lucky to get 30 fps @720p with both GPUs on, but after a few minutes the GPU temps are hitting over 115 degrees. C.
Okay, so they idle at 95+ C, so no big surprise there

In short, I think I need a new video card, but my budget is around $200, which means I can't upgrade my CPU (Phenom II x3 2.8 GHz). If I got an nvidia 660 (non-TI), can I expect notably better performance over the 9800 GX2? Or do I just turn down the detail settings on MWO and hope it doesn't melt my system? Or keep saving money?

mkenyon

Banned
Watercooling parts on the way. mkenyon made me do it!
Thanks for all your help, having someone to talk to about parts makes it much more reassuring.

Alphacool Monsta 240x120mm - Custom Painted White
Alphacool UT60 360x120mm - Custom Painted White
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir - Black
Monsoon Fittings - Gold
Aquaero XT
Swiftech MCP655-B D5
EK VGA Supreme HF - Bridge edition
EK FC SLI bridge
Aquacomputer flow meter

Oh and mkeyon we talked about the case mods but I forgot to mention the 680 mods. Going to build a hybrid solution with the stock fans.
Here's hoping for a speedy and successful build! Love to help.
I've been waiting on Mechwarrior Online to launch to get a new card, I'm currently using an old 9800 GX2 a relative gave me. Last week, I finally got a beta key, and I see that not only am I lucky to get 30 fps @720p with both GPUs on, but after a few minutes the GPU temps are hitting over 115 degrees. C.
Okay, so they idle at 95+ C, so no big surprise there

In short, I think I need a new video card, but my budget is around $200, which means I can't upgrade my CPU (Phenom II x3 2.8 GHz). If I got an nvidia 660 (non-TI), can I expect notably better performance over the 9800 GX2? Or do I just turn down the detail settings on MWO and hope it doesn't melt my system? Or keep saving money?
Card now. Do you have a motherboard/CPU cooler to overclock your CPU? Would give you a bit more oomph out of it while saving for a processor.

Panzon

Here's my build so far:
-Cooler Master HAF X
-Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge
-ASUS Maximus V Formula
-Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
-CORSAIR AX1200i 1200W ATX
-Nvidia GTX 690

Still need help deciding on a sound card, RAM, Cooler (if necessary). This is a big chunk of the budget but all these parts are sexy as hell and have high praise from both critics and users.

I can increase my budget to an extra $500 only if necessary but I'd rather not. A lot of people are telling me to wait til black friday or cyber monday and see if I can get these parts for much cheaper. It sounds like a great idea and it's not like I'm in a rush to get a PC anyway

Do you think it's too much? What would you do different if you had the money? All help is gladly appreciated

sk3tch

Lookin' good scogoth! Damn. I gotta stop building new rigs and going with watercooling. Heh.

Here's my build so far:
-Cooler Master HAF X
-ASUS Maximus V Formula
-Nvidia GTX 690

Still need help deciding on a sound card, RAM, Cooler (if necessary). This is a big chunk of the budget but all these parts are sexy as hell and have high praise from both critics and users.

I can increase my budget to an extra $500 only if necessary but I'd rather not. A lot of people are telling me to wait til black friday or cyber monday and see if I can get these parts for much cheaper. It sounds like a great idea and it's not like I'm in a rush to get a PC anyway

Do you think it's too much? What would you do different if you had the money? All help is gladly appreciated

Your mobo looks to have pretty solid audio already built-in. So if I were you, I'd see how it is...and if necessary - buy an add'l audio card later. It's likely perfectly good. Unless you're a super nutso audiophile you will be hard pressed to tell.

The AX1200i is a sweet PSU but overkill for that build. My 3960x and 4x 680 Classifieds only uses about 850W under load. Up to you though, it's definitely a nice future-proof build. I also highly recommend the Seasonic X-1250 (and prefer it to the Corsair). The Samsung 840 Pro SSDs should be out any minute so you could consider the upgrade there. I'd get a different case but that's personal preference.

scogoth

Here's hoping for a speedy and successful build! Love to help.

Card now. Do you have a motherboard/CPU cooler to overclock your CPU? Would give you a bit more oomph out of it while saving for a processor.

Forgot to ask how much tubing is enough?

Grief.exe

Lookin' good scogoth! Damn. I gotta stop building new rigs and going with watercooling. Heh.

Figured out why my ASUS P9X79 Pro DIMM_B1 slot died - I had a DIMM partially in there while powered on and I pressed it back in. DOH. Probably shorted the socket. I tried like 6x different DIMMs in that socket and no workie. I guess I will just sell "as-is" on eBay. I feel bad RMAing it for my dumb move. Sucks that it is costing me nearly $300. :(

Your mobo looks to have pretty solid audio already built-in. So if I were you, I'd see how it is...and if necessary - buy an add'l audio card later. It's likely perfectly good. Unless you're a super nutso audiophile you will be hard pressed to tell.

The AX1200i is a sweet PSU but overkill for that build. My 3960x and 4x 680 Classifieds only uses about 850W under load. Up to you though, it's definitely a nice future-proof build. I also highly recommend the Seasonic X-1250 (and prefer it to the Corsair). The Samsung 840 Pro SSDs should be out any minute so you could consider the upgrade there. I'd get a different case but that's personal preference.

I would say just RMA it and save the $300, spend it on yourself and you won't feel as bad.

mkenyon

Banned
I guess I will just sell "as-is" on eBay. I feel bad RMAing it for my dumb move. Sucks that it is costing me nearly $300. :(
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the noise of your 4 way SLI 680 Classified setup.

Just kidding, that sucks man. Good on ya for not sticking ASUS for it though.
Here's my build so far:
-Cooler Master HAF X
-ASUS Maximus V Formula
-Nvidia GTX 690

Go back a page and read what I wrote about SLI. There's an SLI guide in the OP too. 690s are SLI 680s, just on a single PCB. If you're cool with those issues, by all means. Otherwise, I think you should go with a 4GB 680. Just replace it when it's no longer up to snuff.

If you like the HAF-X, by all means go for it. There's a number of cases out there that are better in a lot of ways without all of the bulk. The time of giant towers with giant fans is over, thanks to lower power draw and an insane evolution of 120mm fan design. Even the Scout 2 would be a better option if you are a fan of that kind of aesthetic.

As far as a cooler and RAM goes, the OP pretty much has you covered. Spending a lot on a heatsink is kind of throwing away your money with Ivy. In previous generations, with the extra cooling you could get chips to the 4.6-5.0 range fairly easily. Ivy has a 'heat wall' that is around 1.3V or 4.3-4.5GHz where it just can't go any further unless you are dumping LN2 on it.

The powersupply is some serious overkill as well. You can run a 690 and an OC'd 3770K on a 650W PSU with lots of room to spare. AX650/750 makes a lot more sense.

The motherboard is also overkill, as you don't really gain anything out of it unless you are either a) watercooling or b) using LN2. There's nothing it can do that less expensive motherboards can't. I think the Gigabyte UP5-TH is probably the best buy on the high end right now, as it includes thunderbolt.
Forgot to ask how much tubing is enough?
If you are getting hit hard on shipping, go for 10'. If it doesn't make much of a difference, go for 20'. Duralene, right? If not, and it's fairly pricey, go for 10'.
I dont think this isn't really accurate anymore. With power draw continually going down, there's really no need for those kinds of powersupplies unless the person in question is a certified performance loon like yourself :p

sk3tch

If you like the HAF-X, by all means go for it. There's a number of cases out there that are better in a lot of ways without all of the bulk. The time of giant towers with giant fans is over, thanks to lower power draw and an insane evolution of 120mm fan design. Even the Scout 2 would be a better option if you are a fan of that kind of aesthetic.

As far as a cooler and RAM goes, the OP pretty much has you covered. Spending a lot on a heatsink is kind of throwing away your money with Ivy. In previous generations, with the extra cooling you could get chips to the 4.6-5.0 range fairly easily. Ivy has a 'heat wall' that is around 1.3V or 4.3-4.5GHz where it just can't go any further unless you are dumping LN2 on it.

I can vouch wholeheartedly for the CM Scout 2. I picked one up on mkenyon's rec and it is insanely cool. I am going to take it with me everywhere!

As far as CPU coolers - the CM Hyper 212 EVO is still KING! $30 and it performs like a $90 cooler. :) I'd say get it over the H100. I have two and they're nice...but at $100 I don't think they're worth it. Go real water if you really want water.

I dont think this isn't really accurate anymore. With power draw continually going down, there's really no need for those kinds of powersupplies unless the person in question is a certified performance loon like yourself :p

True - but dude could go 2x 690 in the future! Or add a dedicated PhysX card with 2x 690...or add water cooling...or... :)

Panzon

The AX1200i is a sweet PSU but overkill for that build. My 3960x and 4x 680 Classifieds only uses about 850W under load. Up to you though said:
This is great info thanks. You're not the first person to tell me about having a different case but I just really like how it looks and it's a full tower, which is great

sk3tch

This is great info thanks. You're not the first person to tell me about having a different case but I just really like how it looks and it's a full tower, which is great

Go for it, then! Cooler Master rocks. I have two of their cases. I also love the NZXT Switch 810 if you want a full tower. Check it out. Maybe you will dig it too. It's a personal choice, though! If you have a Fry's or MicroCenter nearby go swoop in and check some of them out in person.

mkenyon

Banned
Not when it's filled with nothing but empty air :p

These cases were designed for video cards that pulled more than a 690 for a mid tier card - GTX 470/480. On top of that, videocard makers hadn't really advanced GPU cooling tech. You had to blast air at these things to keep them even decently quiet. We're well beyond those days now.

Check out the HAF XM if you really like the look of it. It's essentially their redesign on the case for modern equipment.

sk3tch

These cases were designed for video cards that pulled more than a 690 for a mid tier card - GTX 470/480. On top of that, videocard makers hadn't really advanced GPU cooling tech. You had to blast air at these things to keep them even decently quiet. We're well beyond those days now.

Check out the HAF XM if you really like the look of it. It's essentially their redesign on the case for modern equipment.

Man, let the guys go balls out! Haha.

Listen to mkenyon...he is the super efficient, precise master. I will just guide you towards bigger, bigger, MORE, MORE!

But seriously if you like that case, go for it. The size is big - some people like that. It's easy to work with. Hell, this Scout 2 was kind of annoying due to it's size coming off of full tower builds previously...haha.

Panzon

It's not so much because it's a cooler master that I like the case. I honestly like how it looks and how spacious it is. If it were up to me I'd get a smaller case, but unfortunately it would be too troublesome for the installations

mkenyon

Banned
Totally your call! Lot of subjectivity there, but I fear people hold on to some conceptions that were true maybe 3-5 years ago, and no longer. Cases are a breeze to work with these days. I find it easier to work in my R4 than the Shinobi XL.

If you want to splurge, I'd follow the things I suggested and do this with the money instead.

1) Corsair unisleeved cables. They add a ton of class to a case. Rather than gross yellow/red wires with big black braids, you get this:

Xu83ol.jpg

2) Really nice soundcard. ASUS Phoebus or Xonar Essence STX.

3) Really nice set of cans. Check out headphone GAF for some really good rec's. If you need a really nice microphone for games, check out the Sennheiser PC-360s.

*edit* some more ideas

4) Really nice mechanical keyboard.

5) Steelseries Sensei/Sensei RAW mouse.

6) Artisan Glass Mousepad Shiden xSoft, large.

sk3tch

1) Corsair unisleeved cables. They add a ton of class to a case. Rather than gross yellow/red wires with big black braids, you get this:

The problem with those is that they're ~$100. At that point, you're better off taking a look at the EVGA NEX 1500. :)

Salsa

not planning on changing the case yet (no moneys), but as far as availability and sober designs go (I really hate agressive cases) im eyeing the P280

4.png

anyone with any experience using it?

I'd love to get a white case, but so far nothing :(

sk3tch

lol - what's the background there? Folding super monster? Pretty sure 4-way SLI is max so there have to be some extras in there for PhysX and other BS. Nevermind the fact that they look like 5xx series cards?

not planning on changing the case yet (no moneys), but as far as availability and sober designs go (I really hate agressive cases) im eyeing the P280

http://www.antec.com/images/product_del/BigBanner/704504/4.png

Not necessarily relevant - but I still have a box that is in the P180. It was AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWRIGHT. Back then it was cool. I feel like Antec is a bit behind these days. But I have no experience with anything beyond the P180. It literally made me quit their brand.

4.png

Fractal Design Define R4 in white.

http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=102
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=107

NZXT H2 is also available in white (not particularly good in comparison), but the R4 is #1 in this class, followed by the P280. Corsair 550D, Cooler Master 650/550/450, etc. are far behind. The OP recommended AI-6B is also good at its price, though global availability is still limited.

edit: the revised version of the P280 is due soon, along side Fractal Design's new full tower.

Salsa

Shipping from Brazil expensive? They have some decent stuff there. Maybe Argentina too.

customs are a mess here, if I exceed a certain amount of money (that im sure to exceed) there's a small chance (but not worth the risk) for them to hold it and just return it. Importing stuff is super messy.

Travelling there and bringing stuff over could be a better idea, but no way im doing that for just a case. Maybe i'll wait and travel to get it alongside some more stuff.

It's not so much because it's a cooler master that I like the case. I honestly like how it looks and how spacious it is. If it were up to me I'd get a smaller case, but unfortunately it would be too troublesome for the installations
Cooler Master HAF XM is a good buy at its North American MSRP of $130. For the ~$100 it regularly goes for, you'd be hard-pressed to find a mid tower with better air/water capability, build quality, spaciousness, and features. That includes the Arc. It's hardly difficult to build in one. Its somewhat "gamer" exterior, and PSU filter oversight are its only weakness, really.

If you haven't used one, watch this:

Cooler Master HAF XM Case Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SM4EVGaXek

$106 + free shipping
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=71084&vpn=RC-922XM-KKN1&manufacture=COOLERMASTER&promoid=1375

$100 after $20 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119257

Did I mention native (aka, no cutting needed) 360mm rad support?

The minor ~1" cut made was for easy external fill access.

If a ~$100 mid with native 360mm support isn't enough, how does running a 360mm and 240mm w/o cutting anything, and keeping as many ODD/HDD bays in place as you choose sound?

CMHD - HAF-XM: Water Cooling – Phase III “Revelations”
http://www.cmhd.tv/index_blog.php/haf-xm-water-cooling-phase-iii-revelations/6857

To do the same in an FD Arc, for instance, you need to modify it, losing all your standard ODD and HDD bays in the process. Although it does offer slightly more compact dimensions, and will push/pull a 360mm more easily, once modified. In those usage cases, the Arc is that much ahead of everything else in this class, not named HAF XM.

Salsa

It started with wanting a new monitor

now im about to buy a new videocard, a new monitor, and eventually a new case

now im looking at my almost broken mx518 thinking I should replace it, same with getting a mechanical keyboard instead of my current one

just now I started lookin for a hyper 212+ to maybe finally start OCing my i5 2500k

fucking computers man, not even a year since the last upgrade

CatPee

now im looking at my almost broken mx518 thinking I should replace it, same with getting a mechanical keyboard instead of my current one

just now I started lookin for a hyper 212+ to maybe finally start OCing my i5 2500k

If you don't end up doing all of those, at least do that.

Figure this is a good place to ask this, but I've ordered an AMD Phenom X4 965 BE from Newegg and it's coming tomorrow, question is though if the "TDP" rating on it will prevent me from using it? The new processor says the TDP is 125w, I looked up the specs on my current PC and it says the processor is a compatible upgrade, same series and such, but says the max TDP of the processor is 95w...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...c=us&objectID=c02763762&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN (Scroll down to Processor Upgrade info, also please ignore the fact that it's an HP, was a graduation gift I've pretty much upgraded beyond stock at the moment.)

sk3tch

Up and rockin'...thank you MicroCenter and your excellent open box screening skillz. :)

(click to enlarge)

i7 3820
32GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3
EVGA GTX 690 (also going to toss a GT 640 in there for PhysX)
Samsung 830 512GB SSD
ASUS P9X79 Pro
CM Hyper 212 EVO (Arctic MX-4)
4x NF-F12 Noctua 120mm
Seasonic X-1250

In a CM Scout 2 case - still needs tidying up. Just finally got her live.

GorillaJu

Figure this is a good place to ask this, but I've ordered an AMD Phenom X4 965 BE from Newegg and it's coming tomorrow, question is though if the "TDP" rating on it will prevent me from using it? The new processor says the TDP is 125w, I looked up the specs on my current PC and it says the processor is a compatible upgrade, same series and such, but says the max TDP of the processor is 95w...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...c=us&objectID=c02763762&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN (Scroll down to Processor Upgrade info, also please ignore the fact that it's an HP, was a graduation gift I've pretty much upgraded beyond stock at the moment.)

Nothing to add except I have that processor and its great. But the stock fan goes up to 4000rpm. It fucking screams. I replaced it post haste. You may find it in your interest to do the same

SilverStone TJ prototype from around a year or so ago (earlier this year?).

AMD sometimes releases CPUs with multiple TDPs, for different target markets. Two examples would be the 95W versions of the X6 1055T and FX-8120. They're chiefly made for OEMs, with extremely limited retail availability in select countries.

If that's the exact board in your PC, not only would I be weary of running a 125W, I wouldn't run it at all if the PC spends a great deal of time at load; extended gaming, heavy multi-tasking, encoding/folding type tasks. OC is a complete no go, even if it weren't BIOS limited.

PC thread. Avoid it like the plague.

Nothing to add except I have that processor and its great. But the stock fan goes up to 4000rpm. It fucking screams. I replaced it post haste. You may find it in your interest to do the same

I don't really care about loud fans, I put up with my Xbox 360 for years, hell I have big utility fans going out in the room I'm in to circulate air so I doubt I'll notice.

·feist·;42876960 said:
AMD sometimes releases CPUs with multiple TDPs, for different target markets. Two examples would be the 95W versions of the X6 1055T and FX-8120. They're chiefly made for OEMs, with extremely limited retail availability in select countries.

If that's the exact board in your PC, not only would I be weary of running a 125W, I wouldn't run it at all if the PC spends a great deal of time at load; extended gaming, heavy multi-tasking, encoding/folding type tasks. OC is a complete no go, even if it weren't BIOS limited.

I'm not gonna be overclocking it. And most of the time my PC is just at the desktop. I do gaming sometimes with no real issues with my normal PC as it is.
I should mention the upgrades in my PC though.
I put in an ATI Radeon HD5570 1 gig, as well as two 4 gig ram cards, dual channel allows me to have 12 gigs of ram total right now.

I haven't bought a motherboard in two years so now that I'm getting this ASRock Extreme X79 Mobo, do I wan't a soundcard or will I be fine with integrated sc? Remember, this is coming from a person who went with a PCI-E SSD solution because he didn't want SATA3 slowing down his groove :( Will the existence of a discrete soundcard give me any performance edge? Is an integrated sc being on north bridge faster than something over PCI-E 1x?

sk3tch

I haven't bought a motherboard in two years so now that I'm getting this ASRock Extreme X79 Mobo, do I wan't a soundcard or will I be fine with integrated sc? Remember, this is coming from a person who went with a PCI-E SSD solution because he didn't want SATA3 slowing down his groove :( Will the existence of a discrete soundcard give me any performance edge? Is an integrated sc being on north bridge faster than something over PCI-E 1x?

What specific ASRock Extreme X79 board are you getting? A lot of the discrete audio cards these days are BS. For gaming, onboard is just fine assuming it supports some variant of Dolby Headphone (aka virtual surround) so you can get an edge in FPS' and such.

If you're really an audiophile, get a set of insanely nice cans and a DAC + Amp - otherwise, stick to mobo audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom