• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're wanting that T180 again, aren't you? :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3JFwd1bk4Q#t=1m22s

I'm not gonna be overclocking it. And most of the time my PC is just at the desktop. I do gaming sometimes with no real issues with my normal PC as it is.
I should mention the upgrades in my PC though.
I put in an ATI Radeon HD5570 1 gig, as well as two 4 gig ram cards, dual channel allows me to have 12 gigs of ram total right now.
OK. May want to invest in some cooling, such as:

http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?cat_id=10
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708016

Only to be safe, and bear in mind that CPU is very much out of spec for that MB's delivery, and capability. At least keep all power saving measures in place, so it won't run at full frequency 24/7.

Salsa

you guys are gonna hate me for this but seriously im considering going with a regular 23' 60hz monitor and use the extra money on a new hard drive and case (instead of using all of that to buy a 120hz)

I literally have a different opinion on what to buy every day

Jzero

you guys are gonna hate me for this but seriously im considering going with a regular 23' 60hz monitor and use the extra money on a new hard drive and case (instead of using all of that to buy a 120hz)

I'm a cheap bastard so that would be the thing i would of done.

What specific ASRock Extreme X79 board are you getting? A lot of the discrete audio cards these days are BS. For gaming, onboard is just fine assuming it supports some variant of Dolby Headphone (aka virtual surround) so you can get an edge in FPS' and such.

If you're really an audiophile, get a set of insanely nice cans and a DAC + Amp - otherwise, stick to mobo audio.

ASRock X79 EXTREME4-M LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX

I do remember with my old Gigabyte X58 integrated sc, I had this issue where when some applications ran (Idon't know if it was because of my video card or CPU) you would hear noticable noise in the audio being played in that moment. My lastest X58 (can you beleive I went through 2 of those and 3 power supplies since late 2009). I'm hoping that that's not the case with this motherboard otherwise I'll have to buy a descrete card. I do enjoy good audio but I'm obsessive enough with things that I've conciously have avoided getting too bogged down with what I could be hearing. BTW... the issue goes away when I'm using a toslink.

what's the cost difference?

7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec), Supports THX TruStudio™

That gives you headphone surround. I say go with it. Are you a gamer or an audio nut? I mean, try it and see...if it sucks, you can always upgrade. Why spend the money if you don't need to?

You're right as far as the audio quality concerns. Based on your previous response as well, it sounds (no pun intended) like I won't be gaining any performance improvements with a discrete video card. As long as the onboard chip can deliver decent sound then I will probably be fine. Like you said, I can always upgrade though I do enjoy the high I get when all the parts come at once... its almost like Christmas :D

sk3tch

ASRock X79 EXTREME4-M LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX

I do remember with my old Gigabyte X58 integrated sc, I had this issue where when some applications ran (Idon't know if it was because of my video card or CPU) you would hear noticable noise in the audio being played in that moment. My lastest X58 (can you beleive I went through 2 of those and 3 power supplies since late 2009). I'm hoping that that's not the case with this motherboard otherwise I'll have to buy a descrete card. I do enjoy good audio but I'm obsessive enough with things that I've conciously have avoided getting too bogged down with what I could be hearing. BTW... the issue goes away when I'm using a toslink.

7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec), Supports THX TruStudio™

That gives you headphone surround. I say go with it. Are you a gamer or an audio nut? I mean, try it and see...if it sucks, you can always upgrade. Why spend the money if you don't need to?

androvsky

Card now. Do you have a motherboard/CPU cooler to overclock your CPU? Would give you a bit more oomph out of it while saving for a processor.

Thanks for the reply. Nope, stock on all cooling. I might be able to piece together most of a water cooling rig from leftover parts, but convincing my wife it's worthwhile might be rough. :)

Although cross-generational performance reviews are traditionally hard to find, apparently nvidia's marketing is aiming at upgrading loyalists with this card, so Anand's benchmarks include a 8800 GT. Looks like the 660 would be at least twice as fast assuming perfect SLI efficiency, which is quite a bit better than I expected.

2 questions.

1. When I boot up my PC I get a CPU fan error, I have a coolermaster 212 evo with a push pull configuration on it. The fans are spinning and my CPU temps are ok, but I use to not get this error when I first installed it. Any idea why this would start now? What could I do to address the issue?

2. I'm looking at getting an additional hard drive for my computer. Reading the OP I see the warning about 2TB hard drives currently. Personally I would only be using this hard drive for video recording, and nothing else, and am not too concerned about it crashing. However could this hard drive failing cause data on my other hard drive and ssd to become corrupted, or would that data be safe?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The only reason to go with a sound card is if you need surround on your headphones IMO. Most motherboards don't support that - there is a version of the Realtek chip that supports Dolby headphone, but almost nobody uses it. So something like the xonar DG is a very cheap option to get Dolby headphone out.

If you'll be connecting via hdmi to a receiver, or even multichannel analog out, your motherboard and/or graphics card should be fine for that

23 inch 1080p 60hz TN: $210

23 inch 1080p 120hz TN: $475

If you are second guessing your desire for a 120Hz monitor, I'd suggest you don't really need it. Although perhaps you haven't experienced one - can you demo one to see whether you fall in love with it? Bear in mind it'll tax your system more to drive it too. But also bear in mind it's something that can last you many years and many PC upgrades

Ledsen

23 inch 1080p 60hz TN: $210

23 inch 1080p 120hz TN: $475

I hear people say 120 Hz is amazing, but if you never try it, you don't know what you're missing so you'll be fine. That's my philosophy. Are you only getting it because of what you've heard people say or have you tried one yourself? There are SO many awesome things you could put that money towards instead. Also getting a 120Hz means you will want to get 120 fps -> much more money spent on GPU and you'll have to upgrader sooner.

Salsa

If you are second guessing your desire for a 120Hz monitor, I'd suggest you don't really need it. Although perhaps you haven't experienced one - can you demo one to see whether you fall in love with it? Bear in mind it'll tax your system more to drive it too. But also bear in mind it's something that can last you many years and many PC upgrades

Its more from the fact that I feel I have other stuff that needs changing, my OS HDD is old and noisy, one of my 560ti's fans is broken (changing that for a 670) and my case is rubbish (non-modular PSU = lots of cables generating heat in there).

the 120hz is like an extra thing that I dont think I need right now as much as this other stuff.

Idk, I have to think about it, and probably keep it to myself since im posting in this thread with a different idea every day and still not buying shit, lol

CRS

So thanks to mkenyon for all the help with his desk set up. Finally got mine all done and extremely pleased with out it turned out.

ibf4ZKI4BHBHTI.jpg

ivKhTnSTDTh5n.jpg
igiJER7sb641j.jpg

iqVq54IDu3ajd.jpg

beje

Banned
2 questions.

1. When I boot up my PC I get a CPU fan error, I have a coolermaster 212 evo with a push pull configuration on it. The fans are spinning and my CPU temps are ok, but I use to not get this error when I first installed it. Any idea why this would start now? What could I do to address the issue?

2. I'm looking at getting an additional hard drive for my computer. Reading the OP I see the warning about 2TB hard drives currently. Personally I would only be using this hard drive for video recording, and nothing else, and am not too concerned about it crashing. However could this hard drive failing cause data on my other hard drive and ssd to become corrupted, or would that data be safe?

I especifically read about this in some online shop with user reviews a couple of days ago. It looks like the fan doesn't need to spin fast (600rpm or lower suffices) so the mobo thinks it's actually failing. According to what people posted, you have to set some values in the BIOS for the minimum RPM or failure thresold or something like that, but even if you don't it's completely safe.

bj00rn_

Banned
Wow. I didn't expect my LG IPS277L 27" display to actually be this huge.. LOL. With a normal sitting position I have a wider view area on it than on my 50" plasma..! I think maybe I'd go for a 24" if I knew :) But my god, Dear Esther on maximum settings (GTX 660 TI OC), in the caves on this setup...: AMAZING :0

Anyway, I installed a Noctua NH-D14 on a Intel Core I7 3770K in my Fractal Design R4 case, and it's kinda noisy for some strange reason. I connected its fans to the CPU fan connector and they are running at 1200-1300 rpm (CPU at 27 Celsius...!), which I suspect is way too high. But I couldn't adjust the fan speeds in the bios. Any suggestions..? Perhaps there are other ways to connect it?

Ledsen

Wow. I didn't expect my LG IPS277L 27" display to actually be this huge.. LOL. With a normal sitting position I have a wider view area on it than on my 50" plasma..! I think maybe I'd go for a 24" if I knew :) But my god, Dear Esther on maximum settings (GTX 660 TI OC), in the caves on this setup...: AMAZING :0

Anyway, I installed a noctua Noctua NH-D14 on a Intel Core I7 3770K in my Fractal Design R4 case, and it's kinda noisy for some strange reason. I connected its fans to the CPU fan connector and they are running at 1200-1300 rpm (CPU at 27 Celsius...!), which I suspect is way too high. But I couldn't adjust the fan speeds in the bios. Any suggestions..? Perhaps there are other ways to connect it?

Check if your CPU fan connector is speed controlled (check the mobo manual). It should be and thus automatically lower its speed at low temps. If it doesn't then that's weird.

Hi guys, my 3 years old i7 930 is dying, lots of crackling sounds when heated, no way to oc it anymore, so...

1- Get a new i7 9xx?
2- Switch to Ivy Bridge? (basically build a new desktop)

If I go option 2 I will only really need a new mobo, my other current pc parts are: 690gtx/12gb ram/ 1200 gold corsair ps/ intel 64 ssd. Maybe just a new case for the feel new.

Jzero

Look at this deal i found guys, looks like i'll finally be able to play Metro 2033 on max settings :)

ibgxmnYB4995pj.PNG

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Anyway, I installed a Noctua NH-D14 on a Intel Core I7 3770K in my Fractal Design R4 case, and it's kinda noisy for some strange reason. I connected its fans to the CPU fan connector and they are running at 1200-1300 rpm (CPU at 27 Celsius...!), which I suspect is way too high. But I couldn't adjust the fan speeds in the bios. Any suggestions..? Perhaps there are other ways to connect it?

do the noctua fans come with low noise adapters? (basically inline resistors which lower the speed by a fixed amount)? On my previous setup I just had all my fans running at a fixed speed (as I think noctua aren't PWM) with Low noise adapters to keep them slow

Hi guys, my 3 years old i7 930 is dying, lots of crackling sounds when heated, no way to oc it anymore, so...

1- Get a new i7 9xx?

If I go option 2 I will only really need a new mobo, my other current pc parts are: 690gtx/12gb ram/ 1200 gold corsair ps/ intel 64 ssd. Maybe just a new case for the feel new.

Doo eet! (#2) Make sure to get a socket LGA 2011 :3

EDIT:
Though You're only option would be SandyEE CPU but from what I understand, the next gen Ivy Bridges with 6 cores will be using the LGA 2011 and are due Q2 2013

Eek, don't get a TN panel if you want it for a secondary portrait display. My BenQ RL2450HT came last night to be a secondary portrait monitor to my BenQ XL2420T. The monitor seems like it would have been a great secondary in landscape mode but the viewing angles are atrocious in portrait mode. Sendning back the BenQ RL2450HT today and getting the Dell U2312HM IPS. Lessen learned. If you want a 22+" portrait monitor, go IPS because the height will make the TN viewing angles horrid. Oh well, lost $35 in the exchange but I'll live.

Ty4on

Look at this deal i found guys, looks like i'll finally be able to play Metro 2033 on max settings :)

ibgxmnYB4995pj.PNG

Tried to google the difference between the desktop 8600 and my trusty 8600m GT. After having seen benchmarks of modern cards it almost made me sick.
bioshock_directx9_8600.png

It's also depressing to see it placed right between HD graphics 2000 and 3000, but it does however say something about how bad Intels integrated graphics still are. The 8600m is an 07 GPU and it's even cooled by the CPU cooler in my laptop.

Edit: Love how that Silverstone rig with six GPUs is hooked up with a VGA cable...

Ledsen

Eek, don't get a TN panel if you want it for a secondary portrait display. My BenQ RL2450HT came last night to be a secondary portrait monitor to my BenQ XL2420T. The monitor seems like it would have been a great secondary in landscape mode but the viewing angles are atrocious in portrait mode. Sendning back the BenQ RL2450HT today and getting the Dell U2312HM IPS. Lessen learned. If you want a 22+" portrait monitor, go IPS because the height will make the TN viewing angles horrid. Oh well, lost $35 in the exchange but I'll live.

Yeah TN panels are atrocious. Is that what most people are using for 120 hz? If so it can't be worth it.

sk3tch

The only reason to go with a sound card is if you need surround on your headphones IMO. Most motherboards don't support that - there is a version of the Realtek chip that supports Dolby headphone, but almost nobody uses it. So something like the xonar DG is a very cheap option to get Dolby headphone out.

Yeah, I took a look at the actual board he was getting. It uses THX TruStudioPro - giving him virtual headphone surround. Not Dolby headphone surround, mind you - but the same thing when it comes to games. There's almost zero reason to insist on Dolby any more. There are copy cats out there that offer the same experience for gaming everywhere.

But like I said to him - try it on your mobo first, and if you think you should - get the card after.

Another huge consideration is space. Unless you go USB sound card (yuck) - PCIe slots aren't plentiful and they interrupt airflow in your case. So try to make mobo sound work for you first is my opinion.

Believe me, I've done the DAC/Amp and beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 ohm headphone setup - so I have experience quality audio. But you lose the gaming edge with that setup. At this point, go ASUS for a high end card as mkenyon and mrklaw said.

Yeah TN panels are atrocious. Is that what most people are using for 120 hz? If so it can't be worth it.

It's the only thing you can get for 120hz. And it is worth it. They each have their applications...and 120hz is THE gaming monitor for fluidity and response. IPS is great for colors and all of that. But I'd rather have 80% of the picture quality and far above and beyond the fluidity and response with a 120hz panel.

cametall

do the noctua fans come with low noise adapters? (basically inline resistors which lower the speed by a fixed amount)? On my previous setup I just had all my fans running at a fixed speed (as I think noctua aren't PWM) with Low noise adapters to keep them slow

Yes they do. At least my static pressure ones came with two resistors, one for extra resisting!

Shambles

It started with wanting a new monitor

now im about to buy a new videocard, a new monitor, and eventually a new case

now im looking at my almost broken mx518 thinking I should replace it, same with getting a mechanical keyboard instead of my current one

just now I started lookin for a hyper 212+ to maybe finally start OCing my i5 2500k

fucking computers man, not even a year since the last upgrade

This is a dark road that leads you nowhere but to your inevitable fate of being like kenyon doing quickies in back allies in order to support is case buying addiction. :p

Ledsen

It's the only thing you can get for 120hz. And it is worth it. They each have their applications...and 120hz is THE gaming monitor for fluidity and response. IPS is great for colors and all of that. But I'd rather have 80% of the picture quality and far above and beyond the fluidity and response with a 120hz panel.

IMO you don't get anywhere near 80% IPS quality with a TN... color reproduction and viewing angles (even when sitting straight in front of it) are simply abysmal. But maybe they've gotten a lot better in recent years.

sk3tch

IMO you don't get anywhere near 80% IPS quality with a TN... color reproduction and viewing angles (even when sitting straight in front of it) are simply abysmal. But maybe they've gotten a lot better in recent years.

Admittedly I pulled that figure out of my ass. :)

I have to second the notion that even though TN panels don't have the image quality of IPS, the 120hz aspect for gaming is a different kind of fidelity. I will never game on a 60hz screen again. Since my primary reason for spending all of this money on my rig was for gaming, playing on a ghosty 60hz IPS screen seems like just as a big of joke as you seem to think TN panels are. Seriously, 60hz screens need to abolished and 120hz the standard. IPS 120hz with good pixel response will be godly, but until then, I prefer a solid TN panel at 120hz over IPS. I will give a more definitive opinion on that when I can side by side compare the experience between a IPS and 120hz TN early next week. I am only going on previous IPS experience, I have never done a side by side since I have experienced a 120hz.

Ledsen

Personally I use a plasma as my PC monitor, and it looks amazing @ 60 fps. Wouldn't settle for anything less when it comes to IQ. But like I said, I haven't tried 120 hz.

n0n44m

Personally I use a plasma as my PC monitor, and it looks amazing @ 60 fps. Wouldn't settle for anything less when it comes to IQ. But like I said, I haven't tried 120 hz.

well to be fair I do believe plasma has a pretty good motion resolution compared to most LCD type screens, so you're already experiencing pretty much the best 60 Hz out there

but yeah the main advantage of 120 Hz is that it remains much sharper in motion ... not only more fluid but simply less blurry

makes a huge difference for any of my games that is not an RTS or FIFA :p

mkenyon

Banned
So thanks to mkenyon for all the help with his desk set up. Finally got mine all done and extremely pleased with out it turned out.
ibf4ZKI4BHBHTI.jpg
Even whiskey next to the desk! *major nerdbro fistbump*

Your setup looks fantastic. Other pro tip - get some zip ties and you can create a river of wires that are completely concealed. Think tributaries to a river - PC is the ocean.

1- Get a new i7 9xx?

I would say just grab another 9xx to save money. But, you already have a 690 so I dont think $ is that huge of an issue. Go X79 + 3820, upgrade to Ivy-E hex/whatever when its out. Make sure you get decent RAM, the frequency headroom will help because you need to OC via BCLK on the 3820. Should be able to hit 4.8-5.0 with a decent cooler.
I had an S23A750D next to a Crossover 27Q for a few months. The difference was barely noticeable. Not all TN's are created equal.

Ocho

Are you guys using the same stand/setup or whatever? Looks good, maybe I should try something like that myself.

mkenyon

Banned
What have you done, just as I thought I had a mousepad picked out. I was looking at a Razer Scarab because I have a thing for hard pads. Is this thing really the holy grail?
Yeah. Out of all places, Sears carries it in the US. It is somehow both extremely glidey and precise at the same time.
Are you guys using the same stand/setup or whatever? Looks good, maybe I should try something like that myself.
It's industrial wire racks. It's all modular so you can build exactly what you need.

mkenyon

Banned
Having your PC suspended in the air helps a *ton* with keeping it clean. I hadn't cleaned a single fan or filter since I originally built my newest one. After breaking it down, the only dirty part was some dust in the radiators. Not even a film on the bottom of the case. The fans themselves were even spic and span.

I also really like having my keyboard below my monitors. Allows the monitor to be at a much more natural height right at eye level, and closer to my face.

I also get to zip tie a 16 port switch, ITX linux router, comcast gateway, and wireless router to my wire rack, and keep it completely invisible. Having the ability to mount anything in any direction is quite nice if you start adding lots of hardware.

It's all preference though, everyone has a system!

Rufus

Or wood. Build a desk

Shots from pre three screens cause my house is being painted so everything is a mess right now.....
I have a hard time telling what's up and what's down in that first pic. Or even what angle or part of the desk its showing. It's almost like a puzzle. edit: OK, I think I figured it out. It's a pic of the side of the desk, turned 90° to the left.

Neat cable management, anyway. I should do something like that, mine's a mess.

scogoth

I have a hard time telling what's up and what's down in that first pic. Or even what angle or part of the desk its showing. It's almost like a puzzle. edit: OK, I think I figured it out.

I should rotate it clockwise 90 degrees lol. Its behind the desk

Shambles

Sorry pals to the North.

It's $80 Canadian @ NCIX right now though.

http://ncix.com/promo/promosale.php?webid=Thanksgiving2012

Bitfenix Ghost is $20 off right now too, same sale.

*edit* XL2420T $70 off too, god damn. Good sale. Sensei $22 off! Holy crap.

*edit 5 billion*

GTX670 $350 canadian, same same!

I'm also looking at the P280. can get it for $65 with a price match to Memory express. I think NCIX has the 690 II Advanced for $70 as well with that sale.

Also it looks like it's the mini selling for $80. The midi is $90.

CRS

Even whiskey next to the desk! *major nerdbro fistbump*
*dap*
Your setup looks fantastic. Other pro tip - get some zip ties and you can create a river of wires that are completely concealed. Think tributaries to a river - PC is the ocean.
I think I have quite a few zip ties so I'll definitely make use of those.

Thanks again for all your help!

I got mine from here.
Having your PC suspended in the air helps a *ton* with keeping it clean. I hadn't cleaned a single fan or filter since I originally built my newest one. After breaking it down, the only dirty part was some dust in the radiators. Not even a film on the bottom of the case. The fans themselves were even spic and span.
This was huge for me because I would have to clean my PC once a month. Not a lot of dust gets built up because of the filters (they get filthy), but some does sneak by. Also, I feel like my PC could be a bit cooler because I have an intake fan installed at the bottom of my case. We'll see.

I also get to zip tie a 16 port switch, ITX linux router, comcast gateway, and wireless router to my wire rack, and keep it completely invisible. Having the ability to mount anything in any direction is quite nice if you start adding lots of hardware.

It's all preference though, everyone has a system!
I also love the extra space I get with my setup. I have plenty of room for my DAC/Amp, Maschine, and keyboard/mouse under my monitor.

And I put another shelf to place miscellaneous items, school books, and other electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom