• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Kepler needs to stay under 70C to avoid downclocking, right? Is that a problem with the reference cooled cards?

gokieks

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which sound cards support DD (AC3)? I didn't think I needed a sound card. :(

The feature is generally called "Dolby Digital Live" (there's also a DTS equivalent called "DTS Connect"), and I think all of the current X-Fi cards support it, and maybe one or two of the ASUS Xonar cards. Not sure on that though.

I'm dumb and didn't plug my RAM correctly. That's what you get for installing it while it's inside the case.

Feel free to laugh at me but at least, my system is working! :D

Nah it happens to the best of us.

And congrats JTwo i recently had that fuck yea feeling after my computer booted fine, plus i got to experience the power of an SSD for the first time :D

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
not meeeee

muahahahahahaha

:[
sorry, im not really that arrogant.
very very pleased with myself the biggest problem was forgetting screws were in the box and having the CPU heatsink fasteners backwards. then i plugged the keyboard into the wrong usb port during setup, and also i accidentally kicked out the power after i started downloading trackmania.

but now im golden theres gonna be so much graphics all over the place

mkenyon

Banned
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294

So is this saying that the max refresh rate is 75Hz?

Gah. I'm so torn between 1440 or 120Hz. When will be able to get both? Are there plans for one in the future?
Do you play FPS games or anything fast paced like MOBA? If so, 120hz. If colors are important to you, get one of the Samsung S23A/27A monitors. Easy choice.
Kepler needs to stay under 70C to avoid downclocking, right? Is that a problem with the reference cooled cards?
Yes and yes. Less so with the 660 and down because they just don't use that much power.

CatPee

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 6870 to a 660ti, is that a good upgrade and worth the price?

It'd be a pretty nice jump. Might as well go for a 7950 though considering they're at almost the same price and has the better memory bus as well as more VRAM.

ghibli99

Just updated the wife's PC with one of those Samsung 830 256GB SSDs from last week. It's an old Dell XPS 420... she wasn't happy with the purchase until she saw how fast things loaded up. :)

Celcius

°Temp. member
Well, I've finally solved my black-screen issue. I ditched the Seasonic X750 I was using and picked up a Corsair AX850...28 hrs into Borderlands 2 and not a single issue. I did end up sending back the msi gtx 680 though (made a loud audible buzzing noise and starting blue-screening). Surprisingly, after turning off physx, my old gtx 280 can max BL2 with no problems @ 1080p (at least now I won't be bored while waiting to get the refund on the other card). Once I do get the refund, I'll just need to decide if I want to try my luck with another of the same card or pick a different 4gb model...

mkenyon

Banned
I'm thinking of upgrading from my 6870 to a 660ti, is that a good upgrade and worth the price?
Marginal. If you have the extra cash, you would get more increased perf:$ with a 670.
Just updated the wife's PC with one of those Samsung 830 256GB SSDs from last week. It's an old Dell XPS 420... she wasn't happy with the purchase until she saw how fast things loaded up. :)
Whenever my wife uses a computer without one, she looks visibly frustrated.

I remember waiting seconds for a double click through a folder tree on my 486 DX100. To me then, even through the P4 days, seeing how quickly you could get through folders was a standard bench test foe me. How far we've come.

Edgeward

Marginal. If you have the extra cash, you would get more increased perf:$ with a 670.

awww. That one looks to recommend a 550w psu but I only have a 530w D=, not sure if that makes a difference but I can't really push it. May just look into a 7950 then. I try to get into nvidia yet I somehow always get led right back into AMD lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
not meeeee

muahahahahahaha

:[
sorry, im not really that arrogant.
very very pleased with myself the biggest problem was forgetting screws were in the box and having the CPU heatsink fasteners backwards. then i plugged the keyboard into the wrong usb port during setup, and also i accidentally kicked out the power after i started downloading trackmania.

but now im golden theres gonna be so much graphics all over the place
Glorious post. This is why we have the thread.

wdNGO.gif

awww. That one looks to recommend a 550w psu but I only have a 530w D=, not sure if that makes a difference but I can't really push it. May just look into a 7950 then. I try to get into nvidia yet I somehow always get led right back into AMD lol
If you have a Corsair 520HX that is more than enough.

ss_lemonade

My current rig

202034_51276932540359gcpfm.jpg

Anyone have any tips on cable management with a CM 690 case? I unfortunately do not have a picture of the back side but right now, I pretty much forced routed all the cables behind the motherboard tray and because of that, I have the problem of sliding the rear side panel back in place (most likely due to the motherboard cable getting in the way)

Hey GAF. I need a super quiet CPU cooler that can also handle pretty hefty overclocks (getting 70+ degrees celsius with my TX3 EVO at 4,3GHz currently, for comparison's sake). I need it to be really quiet for audio production work and it also needs to fit into a Fractal Design R3 case. Any tips?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Just sliced my thumb open screwing in the third to last screw.

Oh thank god I'm not the only one.
When I built mine I sliced my finger open on the motherboard case panel. Had to stop for half an hour while the bleeding stopped.

abunai

Hey GAF. I need a super quiet CPU cooler that can also handle pretty hefty overclocks (getting 70+ degrees celsius with my TX3 EVO at 4,3GHz currently, for comparison's sake). I need it to be really quiet for audio production work and it also needs to fit into a Fractal Design R3 case. Any tips?

I've had nothing but good times with the Prolimatech Megahalem cooler. Put two silent 120mm fans on there (i've got Noctua NF-P14 FLX on mine) and it'll stay super cool and quiet. 3570k at 4.6Ghz which stays under 60-65 at 100% load (although it is not exactly warm where I live). Quiet as a whisper, no louder than my case fans which are already quiet.

Xdrive05

GAF, question about folder locations. I have a C: drive (SSD) and a D: drive (HDD) as my storage. I moved my Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders to mirrored locations on my D: drive in order to save space on my SSD.

My question is: if my HDD (D drive) goes out, and I screwed? I only back up system images of my SSD (C drive).

So does that mean I would have no way of restoring those folders if my HDD goes out? Because I'm worried that I wouldn't even be able to get to my desktop in that scenario, even though my C drive SSD would be operational.

EDIT: nm.. I just moved Desktop back to my C: drive. Wasn't big enough to warrant the risk. The other moved folders can be replaced more easily/backed up separately.

Celcius

°Temp. member

I'm a big fan of the noctua nh-d14

mkenyon

Banned
Megahalems with quiet fans, Noctua NH-D14, NZXT Havik, TPC 812 w/ Corsair SP Quiet Edition fans, H60 with good fans.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this is not the right topic but in my Nvidia Display driver folder I have several folders corresponding to older nvidia drivers (296, 301 etc...) should I delete them (except the one I'm currently using) ?

N00b question I know.

Yeah, you can delete the folders for the previous versions.

pax217

Hey guys,

I built my current rig a few years ago, I've currently got a 5850 in there and love it. It runs things just fine, but it's having trouble juicing some of the games that are coming out.

Should I get a second 5850 and crossfire them, or just grab a 7850 and call-it-a-day for a few years?

Money isn't necessarily an issue, but I don't really value any graphics card above $300.

I'm also not in any dire need, so I plan on waiting until Black Friday if that means anything for upcoming releases.

Thanks in advance, PC-GAF.

EDIT: I'm also running a Dell Ultrasharp at 1080p, if that's relevant

golem

My current rig

202034_51276932540359gcpfm.jpg

Anyone have any tips on cable management with a CM 690 case? I unfortunately do not have a picture of the back side but right now, I pretty much forced routed all the cables behind the motherboard tray and because of that, I have the problem of sliding the rear side panel back in place (most likely due to the motherboard cable getting in the way)

I have the CM690 II and have all the cables shoved back there as well, the rear panel goes on fine for me. Maybe try ziptie-ing the cables together so they have a more compact profile?

DTKT

Hey guys,

I built my current rig a few years ago, I've currently got a 5850 in there and love it. It runs things just fine, but it's having trouble juicing some of the games that are coming out.

Should I get a second 5850 and crossfire them, or just grab a 7850 and call-it-a-day for a few years?

Money isn't necessarily an issue, but I don't really value any graphics card above $300.

I'm also not in any dire need, so I plan on waiting until Black Friday if that means anything for upcoming releases.

I was in a similar situation with a 5870. I decided to go all in with a 670 and it's been amazing so far. Running BF3 at max settings with SSAO is pretty kick-ass.

Worth the 400$ so far.

Hyphen

Cooling question - Anybody know how good the Xigmatek Prime SD1484 would be for cooling an overclocked i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz? I have the option of that as the only air cooler, or 3 water coolers - H60, H80 or H100. Which are all more expensive (it's a pre-built system). Wondering if I can save money by sticking with the Xigmatek, instead of going for one of the more expensive water-based coolers. The system will also have an overclocked GTX 670 from Gigabyte.

Most of the reviews I've seen for the Xigmatek Prime SD1484 have all been great. But it was never with the specific specifications of the above parts. Guess I just want one more knowledgeable person to reassure me.

pax217

I was in a similar situation with a 5870. I decided to go all in with a 670 and it's been amazing so far. Running BF3 at max settings with SSAO is pretty kick-ass.

Worth the 400$ so far.

I haven't owned an nVidia card since two builds ago, it fried within a year. I think it was an XFX; if I remember correctly.

I'm hearing nothing but good things about the latest GTX 600's and am willing to give nVidia another shot, but I've been happy with my last two Radeon cards (X1550 and the 5850).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Having a helluva a time figuring out how to configure my computer to output a 5.1 signal through the optical port.

I just tested DTS and it played sound in all speakers... but in Crysis and all other games it just defaults to stereo.

pax217

Having a helluva a time figuring out how to configure my computer to output a 5.1 signal through the optical port.

I just tested DTS and it played sound in all speakers... but in Crysis and all other games it just defaults to stereo.

Assuming the receiver is set to DTS (and with "All Channel Stereo" off) on the PC input, it would be within your sound card's GUI.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's not D=

Raidmax Hybrid 2 RX-530SS
New PSU time.
Hey guys,

7950 then if AMD has been good to you.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Assuming the receiver is set to DTS (and with "All Channel Stereo" off) on the PC input, it would be within your sound card's GUI.

I'm using the logitech z5500, tried and true. Theyre like 5 years old. I'm just using the optical port on my Asus motherboard. I can't for the life of me find a place to enable surround sound. I installed the realtek drivers, not even sure those are what I need. Its weird because I just played an mkv and it switched dolby digital and was playing in 5.1 but I absolutely have no idea how to make Crysis do that too, the game menus are useless. I've opened up the device manager and the weird control panel thing and theres just a bunch of test stuff, no setting that says "TURN ON 5.1"

golem

Does your computer support Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect? Thats the only way to pass discrete multichannel over optical I believe... otherwise you can probably get your audio chip to encode to Pro Logic which isn't as good, or possibly configure the individual audio out analog jacks to send multichannel output.

If you're getting it to work in movies its because theyre passing their raw digital stream (already encoded in DTS or DD) to your receiver over optical.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think it says dolby live something on the box. It was definitely kitchen sink on the feature set, so I assume. Blech, I'm just gonna play some Crysis in Stereo. Gonna be nuts, I haven't played this game since came out.. and that was on a macbookpro at 1024x600 at all low settings.

B.K.

I think I'm going to start putting away $25 or $50 a week and build a new PC in a year or so. My computer is still working fine, but it's a couple years old. It's almost time to upgrade.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmph. So I'm playing the intro of Crysis, which looks INSANE. Great graphics.
The game kinda flickers though.. The framerate is buttery smooth but I notice that like, the background flickers when I move the mouse very sligtly. Is this some weird setting I checked is anyone familiar with what I'm descrbing. Its a very strange effect, I didn't even notice until like 15 minutes in.

turns out it was the motion blur.
blech, dreadful. it was ruining my experience. turned it off and everything is perfect. The first time a tree fell in front of me while i was zoomed in i screamed.

hmm... nvm the flickering is still there :\ its mostly on the foliage. when there isnt much foliage it doesnt flicker.

beje

Banned
mmmm kind of quick question: is FurMark enough to test if a GPU overclock is creating artifacts in video or should I go for something else?

beje

Banned
Try Heaven 3.0 too.

Thanks! I had to take the OC values down a little notch from the ones I got with Furmark. So, my Sapphire 7850 1GB can be OC'd up to 1010MHz/1260MHz. Funny enough, I had to revert the CPU from 3.8GHz back to 3.6GHz as, I don't know why, 3DMark11 results were worse at the higher clockspeed, guess it had something to do with my mobo maximum FSB.

So, according to 3DMark11 I managed to get an additional 12% performance compared to stock values. Guess it's not bad.

And I have another question. I'm in the market for a new PSU as my father's one (most exactly, its fan) is starting to make hellish noises (it's 6 years old) so I thought on handing him down mine and getting a good one for myself. There's an Spanish brand that is highly respected down here by gamers called NOX, and their products have good reviews both by websites and users. They have this model (sorry for the Spanish, translated the less obvious specs):

NOX Hummer 550W (modular) -> Just 50 eurobux!

- +3.3 - 25A / +5V - 25A / +12V - 44A / -12V - 0.8A / +5VSB - 3.0A
- Tipo: ATX12V & EPS12V
- Potencia: 550W
- Voltaje: 115 - 230V | 50 / 60 Hz
- PFC: Activo
- Raíles: 1x +12V
- Cooling: 1 x 140 mm
- Dimensiones: 15 x 8.5 x 16 mm
- 1 x 24-20 pines ATX
- 1 x 4+4 pines EPS/ATX 12V
- 2 x PCIE 6 pines
- 6 x SATA
- 4 x Molex 4 pines
- 1 x Floppy
Weight: 1.9 Kg

I just have to power an i5 3570K (in a very near future, now rocking an E8400) + a single HD 7850 so Wattage-wise I think it's more than enough with the plus of being modular and saving in cable clutter.

It's not 80+ certified but there are reviews telling that it behaves as if it actually was and that they probably didn't go for the certification to keep price down. So... opinions?

Edit: forgot to add the protections -> voltage drop/rise, overload, short circuit

kharma45

Thanks! I had to take the OC values down a little notch from the ones I got with Furmark. So, my Sapphire 7850 1GB can be OC'd up to 1010MHz/1260MHz. Funny enough, I had to revert the CPU from 3.8GHz back to 3.6GHz as, I don't know why, 3DMark11 results were worse at the higher clockspeed, guess it had something to do with my mobo maximum FSB.

Have you tried playing with the voltages on your 7850 to get a higher OC? The Sapphire ones have pretty good coolers so you should be able to attain a pretty decent one, 1100MHz could well be possible if you haven't already tried upping the voltages. I've managed to get my 2GB MSI one up to 1200MHz stable.

beje

Banned
Have you tried playing with the voltages on your 7850 to get a higher OC? The Sapphire ones have pretty good coolers so you should be able to attain a pretty decent one, 1100MHz could well be possible if you haven't already tried upping the voltages. I've managed to get my 2GB MSI one up to 1200MHz stable.

I'm not sure on how to change the voltage values on Catalyst. And besides that, the max Core speed that it allows is 1050MHz so I don't think I'll touch it much more. I think it's a limitation of being an OEM model, that was why it was so extremely cheap, just 150€. And yeah, the coolers are awesome. Furmark barely manages to put it at 65ºC with fans at 50% (auto). If I manually put fans at 100% it doesn't go beyond 56ºC.

I am building dumb and don't really have the time to learn how to put everything together, so I want to buy a prebuilt desktop. I'd like to be able to play stuff like Skyrim on decent settings, but nothing ridiculous.

Maximum budget is around $800 (but would of course prefer to be below that) and must come from Amazon. Would prefer if it was something with a monitor, but would be willing to deal. And I'd of course want to be able to upgrade in the future if I ever figure out how to do such a thing.

Sorry, I tried reading the thread but specs make my brain shut off. I am not good with computer.

R0nn

Wait, what the hell is this weird behaviour all of a sudden?

So, I have my HD7850 equipped pc hooked up to a Panny plasma. Everything worked fine, but today I discover that Trine does something weird to the output signal of the HDMI cable. It turns the signal into 1080p@24hz. What's up with that? For some weird reason, my tv detects this game als 24p content and I can't get it to run above 24 fps.

That's some weird stuff...unless I'm missing something obvious here..

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ugh, I'm still having the same issue. I'll be playing a game and then all of a sudden my screen will go black or another solid color and even though all the system fans are still running I have to manually reset the machine. No blue screen code or other error message upon reaching windows, but I can go to windows event viewer and see this:

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/vocelcius/error.jpg

So far I've tried:
Re-installed windows
Different videocard
Different RAM
Different power supply
Added more fans to case
Different videocard drivers

and my current config is:
Intel 2600k @ 4.5ghz
Noctua NH-D14
Asus P8Z68V-Pro GEN3
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Intel 160GB 320 Series ssd
EVGA GTX 280 SC
Seasonic X750
Corsair 550D
X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung dvd burner

I'm going to run Prime95 for 24 hrs again and see if my overclock has somehow become unstable over time (though it ran fine a few weeks ago). Maybe it's possible that both videocards I've tested were bad, but highly unlikely. The most frustrating part is that the issue may happen after 3 minutes or 3 weeks, and I've only had it happen while playing a game or running a 3d stress test (though I ran the heaven bench in loop all night long with no problems). :(

Manp

Funny enough, I had to revert the CPU from 3.8GHz back to 3.6GHz as, I don't know why, 3DMark11 results were worse at the higher clockspeed, guess it had something to do with my mobo maximum FSB.

that sounds like cpu throttling.

kharma45

I'm not sure on how to change the voltage values on Catalyst. And besides that, the max Core speed that it allows is 1050MHz so I don't think I'll touch it much more. I think it's a limitation of being an OEM model, that was why it was so extremely cheap, just 150€. And yeah, the coolers are awesome. Furmark barely manages to put it at 65ºC with fans at 50% (auto). If I manually put fans at 100% it doesn't go beyond 56ºC.

Catalyst won't let you change it, you'll need to use something like Sapphire's Trixx utility. This will also let you overclock beyond the soft limit of 1050MHz that CCC sets artifically. Being an OEM model won't matter, install Trixx and it'll let you up the voltage as well as increase the clock speeds beyond what CCC offers.

See this thread here for some information

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18389760

It's worth doing imo. Not all cards will get 1200MHz but seeing as yours has a custom cooler it has a decent chance. My advice is you don't take it over 1.2v ideally, I can get 1200MHz off about 1.185v.

Still piecing together the first PC I've ever built myself. Stupid question; How do I tell which screw holes to use to mount the motherboard to the case? And which way the motherboard goes in there. There's three sets of letters on the case. A, B, and A&B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom