• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you using the same cable? if possible, try using a DVI. I've had HDMI cables before that make things look blurry when connected to a PC.

I am Using a HDMi to DVi cable. I tried HDMi to HDMi but that didnt change anything.

I also tried every other Resolution that is possible. From 800x600 to 1980x1280. I really have no idea wahts going on, especially cause everything worked with the old GPU ...

I also deleted the Drivers and installed the current one form NVIDIA but that didnt change anything :( Guess i have to get used to it

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I am Using a HDMi to DVi cable. I tried HDMi to HDMi but that didnt change anything.

I also tried every other Resolution that is possible. From 800x600 to 1980x1280. I really have no idea wahts going on, especially cause everything worked with the old GPU ...

I also deleted the Drivers and installed the current one form NVIDIA but that didnt change anything :( Guess i have to get used to it
I'm positive there is a solution, just need to poke around or find the right person to ask. GPU to TV can still be odd sometimes.

I'm positive there is a solution, just need to poke around or find the right person to ask. GPU to TV can still be odd sometimes.

I surely hope so :) cant afford to buy a new Monitor right now ...

I just dont really now why this happens only on this specific TV. Other TVs i tried worked just fine, but its not an option to use them for the PC. I put my old GPU back in cause i get eye cancer looking at the screen with the 560 ti :(

I would really appreciate if someone could help me somehow

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
According to specs I've found online:

+12V1 18A
+12V2 18A
-12V 0,5A

Do you mean that?

Also, I didn't mean that the quality was cheap, just the looks because it's been serving me pretty much perfectly for 5 years straight: no peaks, no fried components, no outages... nothing.

There should be a sticker on the PSU that details the power output. It should directly tell you the wattage of the two combined +12V rails. Certainly, it will be a lot less than the 432W implied by the combined rails.

Your actual amps will be the wattage listed on the PSU for the two rails divided by 12 (Watts / Volts = Amps).

mkenyon

Banned

Try a different cable, and make sure overscan/underscan is set correctly. Did you do a proper driver sweep before updating? Delete all of the old NVIDIA stuff, C:NVIDIA, etc?

I took a while, but i would like to thank n0n44m & mkenyon for taking the time to carfeully explain me the technical details behind my questions.
Realy makes a lot of sense now and it probabaly saves me some money that i can put in to other hardware!

A list will follow soon.

A whole new world has opened for me!

Thraktor

Does anyone know when reviews of AMDs new range of CPUs (not APUs) are expected? I'm helping a friend put together a budget gaming PC in the next few weeks, and currently planning on an i3 3220, but I figure if AMD's new line are on the way I might as well wait for reviews before committing, on the off-chance that they've managed to make something competitive with the i3 in the same price bracket.

Salsa

welp my go-to hardware store ran out of 670FTWs and they wont re-supply till wednesday

boo-hoo

could have gotten a regular ref for cheaper but I want the 680 heatsink and all that

decided to get this before the 120hz monitor (since I wouldnt really be taking advantage of that with my current 560ti). Hopefully I'll get the mon next week

Just to give you an idea, between the card and mon i'll be spending about.. $1300 :|

them computers aint cheap round here

vaelic

Banned
folks,

I need a suggestion for a very inexpensive wireless NIC for my daughters old dell PC (pci). She has VISTA on the PC.

Thanks!

Hazaro, maybe put a note that some people might luck out and find a genuine Samsung F4 2TB. It's not Seagate as long as it doesn't have any Seagate logo, and/or if it doesn't mention Barracuda.

Try a different cable, and make sure overscan/underscan is set correctly. Did you do a proper driver sweep before updating? Delete all of the old NVIDIA stuff, C:NVIDIA, etc?

How can i set overscan/underscan? I deleted all the drivers via selecting my old GPU in the Hardware list. Did that not do it? i tried 2 different drivers. The one on the install CD and the current driver from the webpage. The result stayed the same

Decado

What is the best place to buy/assemble a PC from in Canada? Preferably Vancouver.

In the past I've used NCIX and Atic. Neither config turned out very well (maybe they're better now). I want to take one of the builds i've seen in this thread and get them to build/test it for me. Haven't had a lot of luck with PCs. If there isn't anyone reliable, I'll say fuck it and buy a Sager laptop :p

thanks

Gvaz

Banned
I looked at the build thing, but how does a i7-3770k, an msi? z77 board and 8gb of ddr3 1600 sound?

I already have a 4890 for now. Will probably replace it with a 670 a few months from now.

I'm on my phone so i cant really post the ones im looking at.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hazaro, maybe put a note that some people might luck out and find a genuine Samsung F4 2TB. It's not Seagate as long as it doesn't have any Seagate logo, and/or if it doesn't mention Barracuda.
I would if this were not used by a ton of people and I haven't seen anyone for sure stocking the actual Samsungs. The difference in buying a F4 and a Seagate is way way too large and it's just a lot of headache.

I know it really really sucks, but if the part can't be found by it's description it's hard for me to put it up there. I had notes about it, but it seems like such a little chance unless people are buying used drives off forums unless you know something otherwise. I was checking out HDD stuff for like 2 hours before concluding everything is complete shit in the 1.5TB market up. The only other good possible drive seems to be the WD RED 2TB and that is upmarked for $180 if it's even in stock, then you have to flash it. smh

Could also delay builds a long time if they receive the 'wrong' part.

It'll probably stay up there until the Toshiba/Hitachi drives come out and they aren't 20% DoA.
folks,

I need a suggestion for a very inexpensive wireless NIC for my daughters old dell PC (pci). She has VISTA on the PC.

Thanks!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RCKDEC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
or
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RM08RE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I gamed online wireless with the Airlink. Worked great for me at 8 meters and a wall. 4 bars.
Would this power supply fuel the new Radeon 7850?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009MIP8I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

its got a good reputation on amazon or should i get one a little stronger?
thanks again.
VP450

Come on dude I've said it 3 times and it's in the OP everywhere.
Man, my 6870 has already been demoted to the budget build? ;_;
Promoted
What is the best place to buy/assemble a PC from in Canada? Preferably Vancouver.

In the past I've used NCIX and Atic. Neither config turned out very well (maybe they're better now). I want to take one of the builds i've seen in this thread and get them to build/test it for me. Haven't had a lot of luck with PCs. If there isn't anyone reliable, I'll say fuck it and buy a Sager laptop :p

thanks
NCIX still. Might be a Canadian forum about it.

Watch some vids, make sure you follow the steps. Shouldn't be an issue. You have as many days to work it out as they spend building it :)
I looked at the build thing, but how does a i7-3770k, an msi? z77 board and 8gb of ddr3 1600 sound?

I already have a 4890 for now. Will probably replace it with a 670 a few months from now.

I'm on my phone so i cant really post the ones im looking at.
It's fine. Currently the 3770K does jack for gaming boost so if you want to save $100 you can get a 3570K.

jwhit28

Why don't PC games support split-screen or even playing on 2 different monitors from the same computer? Just about every game has multi-player now, but most ports still only use half the resources of a $1000 PC.

Gvaz

Banned
How is it for ocing? I will jack that shit to 4
5 the second I get it. Is it like ocing a Phenom? Do I need to take ram timings into account or whatever, cause I have no idea how to oc ram.

I already have a 212+ on my Phenom II x3 720 and I think it works for the 1155? socket.

Thraktor

Why don't PC games support split-screen or even playing on 2 different monitors from the same computer? Just about every game has multi-player now, but most ports still only use half the resources of a $1000 PC.

They're expensive features to add, and there's very little demand for them from PC gamers. That said, there are a handful of PC games which support split-screen multiplayer. Renegade Ops is one off the top of my head.

Salsa

Why don't PC games support split-screen or even playing on 2 different monitors from the same computer?

this would be so fucking amazing

you'd need a pretty good rig and whatnot, even if you do 2 video cards with 1 CPU, but it would still be great

sk3tch

What does something like this mean for someone like me who owns an MSI PE 660ti?
MSI Caught Overvolting GTX 660 Ti, 670 Power Edition Cards
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvolting-PowerEdition,18013.html#xtor=RSS-181

That's awesome. MSI...what shady MF'ers...love it! I'm pretty invested in their gear. Good stuff. I would say for you, specifically, keep an eye out for future info regarding this situation. They may need to do a recall. Your card is fine as long as it works. But if you have issues, focus on this one first to ease the troubleshooting. Because it's likely it would be this versus anything else.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Because it costs monaaaaaay.
Though, horizontal splitscreen support would be cool so you could set that up yourself.
How is it for ocing? I will jack that shit to 4
5 the second I get it. Is it like ocing a Phenom? Do I need to take ram timings into account or whatever, cause I have no idea how to oc ram.

I already have a 212+ on my Phenom II x3 720 and I think it works for the 1155? socket.
Start at 4.2, go to 4.4
Small bumps after that are not worth the voltage cost imo.

Any Z77 board will be fine. CM 212+ works.
What does something like this mean for someone like me who owns an MSI PE 660ti?
MSI Caught Overvolting GTX 660 Ti, 670 Power Edition Cards
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvolting-PowerEdition,18013.html#xtor=RSS-181
Hope we see something else. Too bad they didn't include more from the original article, it was a good read.

Gvaz

Banned
My existing Phenom is like 90? Watts. How many watts do you think it uses oc'd to 3.5? How many watts difference is the 3770k at 4.5?

Trying to take power draw into account here.

Salaadin

That's awesome. MSI...what shady MF'ers...love it! I'm pretty invested in their gear. Good stuff. I would say for you, specifically, keep an eye out for future info regarding this situation. They may need to do a recall. Your card is fine as long as it works. But if you have issues, focus on this one first to ease the troubleshooting. Because it's likely it would be this versus anything else.

Yeah, Im holding onto it and keeping an eye out. We'll see.

Decado

NCIX still. Might be a Canadian forum about it.

Watch some vids, make sure you follow the steps. Shouldn't be an issue. You have as many days to work it out as they spend building it :)
Work what out...?

I guess I actually have to go to the NCIX store. Their online builder is really limited in terms of part options.

Also, regarding the SFF "small form factor" builds...what are they like? Can a GTX 670 fit into one? I'm guessing they are essentially just a smaller case and you have to be careful about what can fit into it...? Maybe more heat issues?

jwhit28

How much more money could split-screen cost than the 3D left over from console ports? Even if I have to lower settings and half the frame rate, if the 360 can do 4 player split-screen with a game I think my PC should be able to.

Birbo

How well would the Small Form Factor HTPC do at gaming? Want something quiet and small enough to fit under the TV, but with enough power that I could run most games at a decent level.

What is a reasonably fast data storage solution using harddrives only and RAID? Are those 15000 RPM drives worth it, or at that point is it just worth getting SSDs?

Edit: by reasonably fast, I mean super fast.

mkenyon

Banned
Okay these are the ones I picked out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231489
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130647

opinions on stuff and overclocking potential?

edit: actually I might want one with two pci e 16x 3.0 ports and a pci port :
Neither the RAM nor the motherboard are good for OCing. Samsung 30mm RAM and ASUS Maximus IV/V Gene are the way to go with mATX.
Would be nice to have some horizontal oriented cases. The SG-07 looks really slick though. Favorite from that bunch. Pretty costy though.
As I said in the intro, I only focused on SFF cases that can hold a proper gaming PC. The horizontal cases which can hold high end hardware aren't SFF, they are mATX/ATX cases essentially turned on their side.
What is a reasonably fast data storage solution using harddrives only and RAID? Are those 15000 RPM drives worth it, or at that point is it just worth getting SSDs?

Velociraptors. 5 in RAID 0 still can't touch SSDs because flash memory doesn't have any seek time. That's what makes so snappy feeling.
How well would the Small Form Factor HTPC do at gaming? Want something quiet and small enough to fit under the TV, but with enough power that I could run most games at a decent level.
Look at the parts in the SFF guide linked from the OP. It's all the same stuff.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My existing Phenom is like 90? Watts. How many watts do you think it uses oc'd to 3.5? How many watts difference is the 3770k at 4.5?

Trying to take power draw into account here.
About the same.

SSDs. The speed and storage is just better than mechanical 'fast' drives.
Go for a Velociraptor if you really need the extra storage or something.
Okay these are the ones I picked out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231489
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130647

opinions on stuff and overclocking potential?

edit: actually I might want one with two pci e 16x 3.0 ports and a pci port :\
Anything you get in PCI is in PCI-E or USB unless you have something older.

And that mobo I wouldn't run past ~4.2-4.4 personally because it has fewer power phases. Technically should not be a problem though. Depends how long you think you'll keep it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Second line bro
* I guess it's not that clear being down a few posts.

P67 guide. Same deal but slightly lower voltage for Ivy: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html
680 is just MSI Afterburner and dragging sliders around till it dies.*

*I use a cheat sheet for GPUs since I don't like fiddling that much. I grab an OC chart from a review and work up from the lowest OC they do.
e.g. from TechPowerup, I'll start at 1130Mhz base clock, run a test like 3DMark11, then bump it up by 15Mhz.
VvGZe.png

bI2aR.png

Utilities
MSI Afterburner - This allows for total control over your videocard. Change every setting from fans to voltage.
Prime 95 - This stress tests your CPU for stability.
HWMonitor - This is a system info utility. Allows you to monitor voltage, temperatures, and fan speeds.
GPU-Z - This displays information about your videocard.
CPU-Z - This displays information about your CPU, RAM, and chipset.

Guides
P67/Z68/Sandybridge Overclocking Guide
X58/Nehalem Overclocking Guide
P55/Lynnfield Overclocking Guide
Phenom II Overclocking Guide
Bulldozer Overclocking Guide #1, and #2.

Because of the nature of GPUs, it's hard to aggregate good overclocking guides. There can't be one guide for all 5xx NVIDIA cards, as they all have different characteristics. Even looking at something as specific as a GTX 560Ti, some manufacturers bin the cards, and there's a wide range of non-reference coolers that have an effect on the card's limits. A good way to get started in the right direction is to search for "(card name) review". Websites such as Guru3D, OC3D, HardOCP, and Overclockers Club will have a lengthy report on the overclocking abilities of the cards they review.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thank you. I was 90% sure I was going for SSD, just thought I'd see if anyone would advise me differently. To Amazon!
You'd be better helped if you actually said what you were doing and if cost / storage size matters and what RAID you'd run if one at all.

But it's probably SSDs

Thraktor

How much more money could split-screen cost than the 3D left over from console ports? Even if I have to lower settings and half the frame rate, if the 360 can do 4 player split-screen with a game I think my PC should be able to.

Well for one thing there aren't that many console games offering split-screen multi-player these days anyway. For those that do, even if the cost of porting the feature across is not enormous, publishers won't pay for it if it's only going to be used by 0.1% of players.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Why isnt this in the OP? It should be.
It's in the updated build sheet with a link to the post above the image as well.

I'm trying to figure out how to add that, accessories, windows, and some other stuff without cluttering it.

Probably a banner link.
Can a GTX 670 fit into any of those cases...maybe even be over clocked?
If the case can fit a 9.5" card and the 670 is 9.5" sure.
They vary in size from the mini 670 @ 7" to some 10.5 cards.

It's hard to summarize all of it.

Fantomex

Hai guys! Been away for a while. Just wanted to thank you guys again for all the info. Was running Battlefield 3 yesterday. I didn't even shoot my gun, just going around the MP Map looking at the sky, vehicles, smoke trails, bullets etc. I'm sure my team really appreciated my work.

Only mishap I got yesterday was that my Windows 7 Ultimate purchased at a retailer is now not genuine. This is the same legit copy I bought 1 year ago. My desktop wallpaper turned black and kept making me go through the activation process. After calling the retailer and Microsoft on 3 occasions they say my serial has been used to many times and is now blocked. I explained I only activated it once a year ago on my old CPU and they would not hear it. Go figure. When I was in college and buddies bootlegged windows it always worked, when I purchase a legit copy it fails.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hai guys! Been away for a while. Just wanted to thank you guys again for all the info. Was running Battlefield 3 yesterday. I didn't even shoot my gun, just going around the MP Map looking at the sky, vehicles, smoke trails, bullets etc. I'm sure my team really appreciated my work.

Only mishap I got yesterday was that my Windows 7 Ultimate purchased at a retailer is now not genuine. This is the same legit copy I bought 1 year ago. My desktop wallpaper turned black and kept making me go through the activation process. After calling the retailer and Microsoft on 3 occasions they say my serial has been used to many times and is now blocked. I explained I only activated it once a year ago on my old CPU and they would not hear it. Go figure. When I was in college and buddies bootlegged windows it always worked, when I purchase a legit copy it fails.
Call MS again to ask about reinstalls / what chipsets it was installed on, then take a claim to the people you bought it from.
Maybe do something with your CC company.

That sucks, sorry to hear. At least it's an easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom