• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomex

Call MS again to ask about reinstalls / what chipsets it was installed on, then take a claim to the people you bought it from.
Maybe do something with your CC company.

That sucks, sorry to hear. At least it's an easy fix.

The unfortunate part was that this was purchased at a retailer no longer in business. For all the red tape I've had to cross with Microsoft it comes down to this and I'm paraphrasing "You have a legit version of Windows, but the product key has somehow found it's way to tons of computers. Please purchase another copy".

When I reminded them of the rampant use of key generators, xbox live hacks, hotmail hacks, the fact that the activation a year ago was fine and dandy and then the computer died they said, "it's unfortunate but you'll have to buy another copy of Windows". I am going to ship it to their counter fit department and hope they give me a replacement but I doubt it will work. Those are the breaks i guess.

mkenyon

Banned
mkenyon, I got her to seat! Straightened pins by hand, and finally coaxed it in the socket, locked it down, and whoila straightened pins, thanks again man, now to install it in my main rig :D

shitty env3 pic incoming...
Holy shit! Did it POST? Clean off the pins?

That proc was a beast. Was a sad day for me when I bent the pins removing the Venomous X. Did lead me to going with a 5ghz 2500K though.

You'd be better helped if you actually said what you were doing and if cost / storage size matters and what RAID you'd run if one at all.

But it's probably SSDs
Reading and writing large, layered .psb, .tif, .exr files, RAID 0.

1 TB is more than enough. Cost doesn't factor that much, but I'd obviously prefer not to go crazy.

Apologies for not giving more information. I am generally trying to get a little more educated rather than just seeking advice on a build. But I have been looking at SSDs for a good while and haven't come across many reasons why HDD might be a better choice.

Gvaz

Banned
Neither the RAM nor the motherboard are good for OCing. Samsung 30mm RAM and ASUS Maximus IV/V Gene are the way to go with mATX.
Yeahhhhh I can't afford that kind of motherboard.

It doesn't have to be mATX, that's just the one I saw.

As for the ram, that's the fastest ram available it looks like for desktop memory. Also it's kinda pricey

Decado

Alright. It's coming down to it...most of the stuff I'm interested in are no longer on sale in a few days.

Here is the build I'm looking at:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy $80
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 980MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card $380
MOBO: Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI mITX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 1PCI-E16 HDMI SATA3 USB3.0 DVI HDMI Motherboard $130
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail $220
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Red 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1866 CL9-10-9-27 1.5V Dual Channel Memory Kit Low Profile $65
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80+ Bronze 6+8PIN PCI-E W/ 120MM Fan $80
Heatsink: Cooler Master GeminII S524 CPU Heatsink LGA1366 LGA1156 LGA1155 AM3 AM2+ 120mm 800-1800RPM $34
Fans: X2 Bitfenix Spectre Pro BFF-SPRO-12025KK-RP All Black $20
Sound: ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI Sound Card 24BIT $35
Hard-drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 Sandforce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive $85

AND/OR

Hard-drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RP $70

Looking to get all this from NCIX (Canada). Total price will come in at around $1,200 + assembly + HST. Thoughts? Anything I'm missing or doesn't look good (won't fit etc.)?

Do I have room for a blu-ray drive?

Alternatively I've been looking at this laptop:

MSI GT60 0NE-220US Intel i7 3610QM GeForce GTX 680m for $1,850 plus HST. I assume the desktop will be more powerful?

thanks!

Thraktor

Reading and writing large, layered .psb, .tif, .exr files, RAID 0.

1 TB is more than enough. Cost doesn't factor that much, but I'd obviously prefer not to go crazy.

Apologies for not giving more information. I am generally trying to get a little more educated rather than just seeking advice on a build. But I have been looking at SSDs for a good while and haven't come across many reasons why HDD might be a better choice.

If you want 1TB of space, then two 512GB Samsung 830 Series SSDs in RAID0 are as good as you're going to get*. It's going to cost you about a grand, though, and is overkill for 99% of users. A more cost-effective idea would be to get a pair of 128GB Samsung 830 Series in RAID0 and a 1TB hard-drive. It'll give you about 200GB of absurdly fast storage to play with, and then you can just put older projects onto the hard-drive. To be honest a single 256GB SSD and a terabyte hard-drive would give you almost indistinguishable performance, as well.

Also, whatever you go with, make sure you've got some external back-up.

*OK, in theory a good RAID controller with 8 SATAIII ports and eight 128GB SSDs in RAID0 would give you better performance, but that's just insane.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeahhhhh I can't afford that kind of motherboard.

It doesn't have to be mATX, that's just the one I saw.

As for the ram, that's the fastest ram available it looks like for desktop memory. Also it's kinda pricey

Alright. It's coming down to it...most of the stuff I'm interested in are no longer on sale in a few days.

Here is the build I'm looking at:

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 980MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card $380
MOBO: Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI mITX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 1PCI-E16 HDMI SATA3 USB3.0 DVI HDMI Motherboard $130
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail $220
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Red 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1866 CL9-10-9-27 1.5V Dual Channel Memory Kit Low Profile $65
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80+ Bronze 6+8PIN PCI-E W/ 120MM Fan $80
Heatsink: Cooler Master GeminII S524 CPU Heatsink LGA1366 LGA1156 LGA1155 AM3 AM2+ 120mm 800-1800RPM $34
Sound: ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI Sound Card 24BIT $35
Hard-drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 Sandforce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive $85

AND/OR

Looking to get all this from NCIX (Canada). Total price will come in at around $1,200 + assembly + HST. Thoughts? Anything I'm missing or doesn't look good (won't fit etc.)?

Do I have room for a blu-ray drive?

Alternatively I've been looking at this laptop:

MSI GT60 0NE-220US Intel i7 3610QM GeForce GTX 680m for $1,850 plus HST. I assume the desktop will be more powerful?

thanks!
Desktop will crush it.

No Xondar DG. There's no PCI slot.
No OCZ SSD. Get the Samsung 830.
That RAM is stupid expensive. Get the Samsung memory. Cheaper and can OC easily to 2133.
You have an optical bay slot yes.

mkenyon

Banned
Only having a single expansion slot I why I only have USB DACs in the build sheets. The NuForce Icon puts everything outside of the Essence STX to shame, and even the low end FiiOs will do beeter than the DX.

NuForce alone pushed me to lossless music.

Fantomex

@Hazaro
@mkenyon

What do you think of the 3rd Party 660 Ti vs 670's? I've seen a lot of reviews say that the 670 is now obsolete because the 660 Ti is performing so well especially with the factory OC's from MSI and Gigabyte. $100 difference too.

Decado

Desktop will crush it.

No Xondar DG. There's no PCI slot.
No OCZ SSD. Get the Samsung 830.
That RAM is stupid expensive. Get the Samsung memory. Cheaper and can OC easily to 2133.
You have an optical bay slot yes.
Thanks. Should I get a different sound card? I couldn't find the ones in the spreadsheet.

Same issue with the ram. NCIX doesn't have any Samsung ram, so I'm not sure what to replace it with. Suggestions?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
@Hazaro
@mkenyon

What do you think of the 3rd Party 660 Ti vs 670's? I've seen a lot of reviews say that the 670 is now obsolete because the 660 Ti is performing so well especially with the factory OC's from MSI and Gigabyte. $100 difference too.
The 7950 3GB would be the card at $300. It's a really fantastic value and helps shift the point back to $300 cards, but the 670 I still feel is a different beast.

Both are extremely good value.
Thanks. Should I get a different sound card? I couldn't find the ones in the spreadsheet.

Same issue with the ram. NCIX doesn't have any Samsung ram, so I'm not sure what to replace it with. Suggestions?
See above.

What about newegg.ca or amazon.ca?
Any low profile DDR3 @ 1.5V is fine. Only mentioned it since the price was a touch high. 1600mhz is all you need.

If you want 1TB of space, then two 512GB Samsung 830 Series SSDs in RAID0 are as good as you're going to get*. It's going to cost you about a grand, though, and is overkill for 99% of users. A more cost-effective idea would be to get a pair of 128GB Samsung 830 Series in RAID0 and a 1TB hard-drive. It'll give you about 200GB of absurdly fast storage to play with, and then you can just put older projects onto the hard-drive.
Interesting idea, for some reason I never even considered this combination. Will think a little more and try to learn more about it also, thanks!

Velociraptors. 5 in RAID 0 still can't touch SSDs because flash memory doesn't have any seek time. That's what makes so snappy feeling.
Missed this earlier, but thanks for response.

Work what out...?

I guess I actually have to go to the NCIX store. Their online builder is really limited in terms of part options.

Also, regarding the SFF "small form factor" builds...what are they like? Can a GTX 670 fit into one? I'm guessing they are essentially just a smaller case and you have to be careful about what can fit into it...? Maybe more heat issues?

Use pcpartpicker.com to test parts compatibility, and then find the parts on NCIX's weekly sale page (because their sale prices don't show up on pcpartpicker). Price-match if possible.

If you'd rather buy piece by piece, keep an eye on MemoryExpress. Their stock and selection isn't as vast as NCIX's, but they have a great price beat policy (they'll beat it by 25% of the difference).

Decado

The 7950 3GB would be the card at $300. It's a really fantastic value and helps shift the point back to $300 cards, but the 670 I still feel is a different beast.

Both are extremely good value.

See above.

What about newegg.ca or amazon.ca?
Any low profile DDR3 @ 1.5V is fine. Only mentioned it since the price was a touch high. 1600mhz is all you need.

Will look for that. I need this assembled for me, so I want everything from the same place.

What about this:

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 2X4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 1.5V CL9 Dual Channel Memory Kit $46

mkenyon

Banned

USB DACs aren't PC parts really. You just plug them into a USB port and then plug your headphones into them.

Its overkill if sound isn't a big deal to you or if you use a USB headset.

legacyzero

Banned
@Hazaro
@mkenyon

<3 my Gigabyte 670. Work every penny extra.

Pretty much smokes everything I throw at it except Metro 2033, well... because it's shitty optimized.

Decado

USB DACs aren't PC parts really. You just plug them into a USB port and then plug your headphones into them.

Its overkill if sound isn't a big deal to you or if you use a USB headset.

Ah. I'm going to be running this through my av receiver and HDTV. Planning on watching some blu-ray movies. I'll probably need an optical out. Is that in my set-up or do I need a sound card?

mkenyon

Banned
Ah. I'm going to be running this through my av receiver and HDTV. Planning on watching some blu-ray movies. I'll probably need an optical out. Is that in my set-up or do I need a sound card?
Nah, just run the audio through your videocard via HDMI.

Shambles

While I paid $400 when the GTX 670 came out and I've been very happy with it I'd still have to say the 7950 at $300 is a far better value. So if you're rich get the 670, if money matters to use save the $100.

Decado

Nah, just run the audio through your videocard via HDMI.

My av receiver doesn't have HDMI in :( I was thinking about replacing it, but I'd rather spend it on the PC. Need optical out on the PC, though. Not sure if a mobo or vid card has that.

kennah

As a general note to the regular recommenders - for some reason the Samsung SSDs and 30nm RAM are stupid hard to find in Canada. They aren't on any of the regular sites (ncix, memexpress or newegg) You really need to be lucky to catch one in a brick and mortar store or get some from the states.

I have no reason why this is.

mkenyon

Banned
As a general note to the regular recommenders - for some reason the Samsung SSDs and 30nm RAM are stupid hard to find in Canada. They aren't on any of the regular sites (ncix, memexpress or newegg) You really need to be lucky to catch one in a brick and mortar store or get some from the states.

I have no reason why this is.
I wonder what the price would be for me to ship it to our apparently hated cousins to the north. This RAM is seriously amazing.

BTW, finally got a decent box to ship the stuff to Canada, as the price was determined by the size rather than the weight. Everyone's stuff that hasn't come will be going out tomorrow.

My av receiver doesn't have HDMI in :( I was thinking about replacing it, but I'd rather spend it on the PC. Need optical out on the PC, though. Not sure if a mobo or vid card has that.
The Gigabyte does indeed have optical out.

*Edit*
Also, got word from Gigabyte that they are planning a host of future ITX boards for gamers and OC'ers. I'd imagine they will come out with a G1 Sniper board with some really nice onboard features. Might not be in time for Ivy, probably for whatever chipset is out for Haswell. Very very cool news to hear things are moving in this direction.

The success of the Prodigy has taken the hardware world by storm. I'm really excited to see advancements in that form factor.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Well, today I sent back the FT02. Instead of sending me a new power button (since the old one was loose), they just sent me a new button connector cable. I didn't mind replacing the faulty top fan on my dime or dealing with the slightly off-center pci holes, but the loose power button was a deal-breaker for me. Guess I just got a bad one :(

Oh well, I'll be rocking this 550D for a while. I've taken off the front door, removed the top and side removable panels, and added a fan to the bottom. Since I'm done with 90 degree layouts, I guess I'll try out that gigabyte gtx 680 and see what all the hub-bub is about (though I still cringe at the thought of a blue pcb lol). My new ram arrives on wednesday, so at least I'll get something new to mess with this week.

Decado

Great. Just a matter of checking with NCIX tomorrow to see if they can build this PC. Tomorrow is the last chance I have to buy at these prices. The savings and power over the MSI/Sager laptops are enough to convince me to bite. Flexibility of the laptop would be nice, but so much more power for the price with this little desktop.

I hope they do a better job of building this PC than the last one :\

Decado

Hey, the SFF builds that mkenyon put together...are those parts all compatible? OR is that just a list of parts that seem like they should work? I'm trying pcpicker and it the recommended mobo Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI is listed...and doesn't appear that any of the other gigabyte Z77 mobos appear to be compatible.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey, the SFF builds that mkenyon put together...are those parts all compatible? OR is that just a list of parts that seem like they should work? I'm trying pcpicker and it the recommended mobo Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI is listed...and doesn't appear that any of the other gigabyte Z77 mobos appear to be compatible.
The only parts I took an educated guess on were coolers with the Gigabyte. It has almost the exact same socket placement as the ASRock Z77E ITX boards, and the coolers I listed with the Gigabyte definite are compatible with the ASRock. There is only one Gigabyte Z77 ITX board though. The N is the correct model.

Decado

The only parts I took an educated guess on were coolers with the Gigabyte. It has almost the exact same socket placement as the ASRock Z77E ITX boards, and the coolers I listed with the Gigabyte definite are compatible with the ASRock. There is only one Gigabyte Z77 ITX board though. The N is the correct model.

OK. So this build looks good?

RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit $45
Sound: None
Optical: LG CH12LS28 12X Blu-Ray Reader & Lightscribe DVD Writer Combo Drive

AND/OR

Q1ller

Banned
I have a question for PC gamers who use a big screen TV. ---> Is the text in most games actually readable at 1080P when viewed on a big screen from a normal TV viewing distance? I am considering getting a nice gaming PC for my son (and me), but I don't want him straining his eyes trying to read in-game text. Thanks!

Decado

Yeah, just this one.

Forgot, I replaced it with this one:

Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5IN SATA3 MCX Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD $115

More expensive, but I assume it's worth it for some reason?

Also, my current windows 7 pc has an issue with 1tb internal HDs. It stopped recognizing it for some reason. I heard it was an issue with W7...was it ever fixed?

TheD

The Detective
All HDMI Cables all not equal, I hate how generalized this has become.

Different HDMI cables will produce different colors, so if in a multi screen environment and using HDMI (which is pretty rare, but happened to me with GT5 on 3 screens) you will want the same ones, also some color production out of certain cables you may prefer over others.

HDMI Cables have different revisions and different speeds, some will support more then they are rated to and some will support less.

HDMI Cables at lengths greater then ~50' you are entering a whole different ball game and here is where you will want to go with a quality cable in fear in signal issues.

All this being said though you do not have to spend a lot of money on one as even name brands go on sale 24/7, I picked up a 75ft monster hd 1000 for 69.99

6663541041_f53de3bef5_z.jpg

You have no idea what you are talking about!

HDMI cables don't change the damn colour!

They are digital! That means they do not use the shape of an analog waveform to determine what to display (and thus changed in a major way with the shape of the waveform), they only use pulses to transfer data in an abstract way.

Think of Morse code, just because the shape of a Morse Code pulse's waveform could be distorted does not mean that the word "red" would change into "orange" on a reliable basis (and not something like "gf[;d;f;ghksg").

Now think of that x2000000 (for every pixel on the screen), that is what it would take to change the colour tint via a HDMI cable!

Decado

OK. So this build looks good?

RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit $45
Sound: None
Optical: LG CH12LS28 12X Blu-Ray Reader & Lightscribe DVD Writer Combo Drive

AND/OR

I forgot...does this have everything I need for wireless and wired internet access? Does it also have the jacks I'll need for good PC speakers/subwoofer? thanks

simtmb

Just wondering what SSDs you guys would suggest for a SATA2 system?

Old but still fairly decent PC that i just replaced with a new build. I'd like to get it up and running again so i'm considering an SSD for it.

Just looking for reliability and good price.
Nothing below 120GB though.

knitoe

Old but still fairly decent PC that i just replaced with a new build. I'd like to get it up and running again so i'm considering an SSD for it.

Samsung 830 128, 256 or 512 GB. Top notch reliability and speed. The only one that could replace it is the upcoming Samsung 840.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I forgot...does this have everything I need for wireless and wired internet access? Does it also have the jacks I'll need for good PC speakers/subwoofer? thanks
Should be set

http://www.superbiiz.com/newg/M/B/-/MB-Z77NWFI/MB-Z77NWFI.3_LG.JPG

Samsung 830

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Amazon dropped their price on the 128GB Samsung 830 to $90 (the other sizes might have fallen, not sure though). Not a bad deal. Good timing as I just ordered parts for a new build, too.

i7 3770K
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH
Gigabyte GTX 670
PNY Quadro 600
16GB Corsair Vengeance
Samsung 830 128GB
Corsair HX750

Going to be a Hackintosh running Mountain Lion (and Win7 of course). Mainly for Photo/Video editing. The two video cards are for Davinci Resolve. I'm not sure yet how compatible the Quadro will be with OSX, but Amazon has a good return policy so I'm not too worried. Been a long time since I've upgraded my computer and this is a huge jump.

Decado

What is the advantage to including an ssd drive? Just faster boot times? Seems like it adds a lot of money to a build and little space. Thx

Ledsen

What is the advantage to including an ssd drive? Just faster boot times? Seems like it adds a lot of money to a build and little space. Thx

Faster everything. Faster boot, faster loading of programs, documents, files and games, faster folder browsing (yep, seriously), faster faster faster faster. Just about every little action you could think of that you do hundreds of times per day is faster and snappier. It's not something you can imagine without having actually used one, but when you do, you'll never want to go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom