• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KalBalboa

Banned
Right now I've got a ~$1,500 build in mind, but I need a GAF-pinion on my video card choice.

I do a lot of editing, including After Effects work. Basically, I'm wondering if it's worth my time to pay $400 for a 670 or save myself ~$100-$200 and go with a 650 or 660. Here's what I'm building in a week (I'm sticking to retail):

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz LGA 1155 ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Universal CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 128GB SATA 6.0G ($129.99)
Video Card: Gigabyte GV-N670C-2GD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2048M ($399.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Cooler Master HAF912 Mid Tower ATX Computer Case ($57.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: OCZ Technology ModXStream Pro 600W Modular ATX ($74.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: ASUS 24x Internal DVDRW SATA Writer ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Total:$1,182.91

I'm not going to lie, dropping $400 solely on that video card seems to be a bit much for me. I don't do a lot of PC gaming, but having Cuda for After Effects & Premiere is a must. Would a 660 Ti or 650 Ti make 2K editing a joke?

KalBalboa

Banned
Not sure if this build is any good, I tried pulling everyone's recommendations together and put them into one build, not even sure if the parts are compatible.. PC will be mainly for gaming.

Just a heads up- you can probably get that CPU a bit cheaper if you shop around.

M3z_

Just went through and checked and I can't find any Auto Voltages... might it just be the motherboard?

If you aren't using auto voltage it would mean you set the voltage yourself manually. So if you don't know where to find the voltage option in your bios then you most certainly are running auto voltage. If your motherboard regulates the voltage itself it will always use a substantial amount of voltage to achieve an overclock. That's why you have to manually fine tune it yourself to find out what the least volts you need to run the overclock you want.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
How do I work out the tras number of my memory when manually setting it in bios? The specs for my G.Skill Ares is 10 10 10 2N.

Nevermind, CPU-Z tells me it's 30.

AkIRA_22

If you aren't using auto voltage it would mean you set the voltage yourself manually. So if you don't know where to find the voltage option in your bios then you most certainly are running auto voltage. If your motherboard regulates the voltage itself it will always use a substantial amount of voltage to achieve an overclock. That's why you have to manually fine tune it yourself to find out what the least volts you need to run the overclock you want.

I have manually set every CPU voltage on the board and disabled all the auto functions when it comes to Voltages and speed step etc.

DSC_0071_zps5c97d345.jpg

Gremmie4

Got the FT02 cleaned up as best I could. I've missed this case! Looks great and besides it being a little rough when it comes to installing/tidying up I'm happy I went back to it. Three huge 180mm fans and as quiet as can be on the low setting. Did some bench marking with the Titans and they were throwing a huge amount of heat outside of the case, which is great. Nearly two years after buying this case I finally have the appropriate GPU cooling system to take advantage of it.

I bought mine in April of 2011 for $239. Quick glance at Amazon shows that it's only $10 cheaper two years later? Dunno if that speaks more to the case or what but that's interesting to note. Shame it doesn't look like Silverstone has any plans to release a follow up.

I echo these sentiments about the FT02. I've had mine since October 2010 and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon. It was a great case when I bought it, and over time I've upgraded all the fans to the AP181 fans which made the case even better. It really is awesome being able to use my computer without any noise bothering me because it is almost silent. In fact I use my PC connected to my plasma for watching Netflix because it is more quiet than my slim PS3.

The only thing that bothers me about the case is the motherboard cutout doesn't line quite line up, but the many pros to the case outweigh that significantly.

That makes me feel kind of gross. Damn. I do love finding old PCs like that and cleaning them out for my friends and family. Tickles my inner OCD something awesome.

kami_sama

One question, I don't know if the new 7950 I got gets too hot or not.
It's at 45 at idle and 70 at load. Are these good temperatures?

M3z_

I have manually set every CPU voltage on the board and disabled all the auto functions when it comes to Voltages and speed step etc.

According to your bios you have set you voltage to 1.35. Variance in voltage set and voltage read by programs like OCCT or CPU-Z isn't uncommon, but a difference that large is bigger than I have ever seen. Usually the problem is losing voltage, for which you have to adjust LLC, but you are getting a significant bit more.

I don't know what to say, I have no experience with 2011 boards, maybe it's more common among them, I don't know, sorry.

Koroviev

Fired up Deus Ex: HR for the first time in a while only to discover that Adam Jensen has taken to slithering...

http://i1.minus.com/i8ctFsSFhNCEi.jpg

On the subject of games, it still amazes me that Valve nailed the organic game world back in 2004 and most other developers are still playing catch-up.

First game I tried this evening was Dishonored, which is...eh. I will give it more time, but I haven't found it to be engaging at all thus far. It does not feel like a world with things to do in it, but rather a set of simple tasks wrapped up in some nice scenery.

I then tried Black Mesa, which instantly clicked for me. I wish I could better explain the difference, but so far all I've come up with is that Black Mesa simply feels more organic, whereas Dishonored has that persistent "this is a game, here is a quest, follow that arrow...you failed the scripted event, you are dead!" feel to it.

AkIRA_22

According to your bios you have set you voltage to 1.35. Variance in voltage set and voltage read by programs like OCCT or CPU-Z isn't uncommon, but a difference that large is bigger than I have ever seen. Usually the problem is losing voltage, for which you have to adjust LLC, but you are getting a significant bit more.

I don't know what to say, I have no experience with 2011 boards, maybe it's more common among them, I don't know, sorry.

NP. yeah I'll continue digging around, and I'll give Asrock an email and see what they have to say.

jett

D-Member
anyone else mad enough to use a HDTV as a monitor ? 43in 1080p LG, screen looks fantastic with HDMI. Had to lower the sharpness and other bits but looks as good as any LCD ive owned before just hugely bigger LOL.

Ofm.jpg

Heh, just a few days ago some people in here were berating me for wanting a 27inch 1080p monitor... :p

Pandemic

Hi, is anyone able to tell me the different between the i5 3570k and the i7 3770k? In terms of gaming? And also not in terms of gaming, what's the point of paying the extra $100 for something that doesn't do much difference?

I know nothing about computers so I probably sound like an idiot.

Thanks.

GHG

Hi, is anyone able to tell me the different between the i5 3570k and the i7 3770k? In terms of gaming? And also not in terms of gaming, what's the point of paying the extra $100 for something that doesn't do much difference?

I know nothing about computers so I probably sound like an idiot.

Thanks.

Virtually no difference in gaming apart from the handful of games that support hyperthreading which give the 3770k a slight (circa 10%) advantage. This can be overcome with a small overclock on the 3570k however.

So essentially, if you are using it for gaming primarily, get the 3570k with a decent cooler, overclock it to about 4.5 ghz and you'll be golden.

With non gaming applications the 3770k does have an advantage if the application supports hyperthreading, but we would need to know what applications you plan to use before being able to say if its worth the extra $100 for you or not.

Pandemic

Virtually no difference in gaming apart from the handful of games that support hyperthreading which give the 3770k a slight (circa 10%) advantage. This can be overcome with a small overclock on the 3570k however.

So essentially, if you are using it for gaming primarily, get the 3570k with a decent cooler, overclock it to about 4.5 ghz and you'll be golden.

With non gaming applications the 3770k does have an advantage if the application supports hyperthreading, but we would need to know what applications you plan to use before being able to say if its worth the extra $100 for you or not.

Awesome response, definitely cleared that confusion up. I'll stick with the i5 then. Thanks mate, much appreciated.

kharma45

Sweet, man. Thanks for the recommendation.
So with a higher powered psu should I have better luck overclocking my 6950s?
Haven't really been able to push them too far without problems.

possibly, but it could also be a) the silicon lottery or b) they just need more volts.

If you're not going to be overclocking you don't need the 3570k, right? Just the 3570? I can't see myself doing any OC'ing in the future

kharma45

If you're not going to be overclocking you don't need the 3570k, right? Just the 3570? L can't see myself doing any OC'ing in the future

Why wouldn't you want to OC? <.<

If you're not going to get something like the 3350P or 3470, the 3570 is too close in price to the K model making it a poor choice.

GMM

Banned
What is the verdict on the Corsair H80 cooler?

h80_rad_fans.png

It seems like it runs a bit cooler than the Intel RTS2011LC and is a bit more silent. I like this liquid cooling solution since it makes space for RAM with taller heatsinks on them.

I like the design of the Intel RTS2011LC more, but i HATE the blue leds on the fan itself. I don't want a computer that lights up everything, but i like the soft light coming from the CPU.

bigace33

How big of an upgrade is a 560 ti to an HD Radeon 6850? A guy is selling one for $100 in my neighborhood. I'm looking to do an upgrade for cheap right now, but I don't know if the 560 ti is a better card than the one I have.

kharma45

Thanks for the reply. It seems the 560ti destroys my card in nearly every category. I'll see if he will take $85 and I'll pull the trigger. I'll do a proper card upgrade around next Christmas/ New Year.

If you can get your 6850 sold and get him to drop the price then it's probably worth it overall.

Smokey

h80_rad_fans.png

It seems like it runs a bit cooler than the Intel RTS2011LC and is a bit more silent. I like this liquid cooling solution since it makes space for RAM with taller heatsinks on them.

I like the design of the Intel RTS2011LC more, but i HATE the blue leds on the fan itself. I don't want a computer that lights up everything, but i like the soft light coming from the CPU.

Look into the H80I

The H80i has corsair's Link software that lets you control the fans from your desktop. See that button on the pump in the picture you posted? Every time you want to change the speed of the fans you have to open your case and push that button. It's a nuisance. Also the 80i comes with much better fans.

GMM

Banned
Look into the H80I

The H80i has corsair's Link software that lets you control the fans from your desktop. See that button on the pump in the picture you posted? Every time you want to change the speed of the fans you have to open your case and push that button. It's a nuisance. Also the 80i comes with much better fans.

Unfortunately i cannot get the H80I for my system due to the vendor not listing it as a part for my custom prebuilt system (doing this for warranty and reliability reasons), i need to be 100% sure the system works perfectly since i really have no time for an unreliable system like my current desktop pc turned out to be. The vendor does have pretty much everything i need at good prices, so i will be sticking to them.

And honestly, i don't mind having to open the case to set the fan speed, it's rare i really mess with the fan settings after having tweaked the system to run fine. The better fans are a bummer, but its the H80 or having to build the system myself, effectively losing my relibility goal of the setup.

mkenyon

Banned

Good for Sandy and Sandy-E, not good for Ivy.

Also, heatsinks on DDR3 is entirely aesthetic. One of the benefits of DDR3 is that it runs really cool.

*edit*

I was adding on to Smokeys advice. You do not want the H80 with the stock fans. It is really loud on any setting that isn't low. There are lots of better fans out there too.

GMM

Banned
Good for Sandy and Sandy-E, not good for Ivy.

Also, heatsinks on DDR3 is entirely aesthetic. One of the benefits of DDR3 is that it runs really cool.

The G.Skill Trident X ram i plan to use is designed to easily remove the heatsink, so i could do that. The Noctua DH 14 seems to be the popular choice and a great performer, but im a bit scared on how MASSIVE that thing is.

The choices for cooling solutions i have:

Intel stock LGA2011 cooler
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13
Arctic Cooling Freezer i30
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Hyper 412S
Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm
Intel Liquid Cooling RTS2011LC
Noctua NH-D14
Corsair H80 Hydro Series

mkenyon

Banned
Are you planning on personally OCing it?

Prebuilt X79? Is this for business? At least post the price and let one of us build it for you. X79 is one of those platforms where it can be either great or compete on par with Sandy Z68 if you don't get the right parts.

GMM

Banned
Are you planning on personally OCing it?

Prebuilt X79? Is this for business? At least post the price and let one of us build it for you. X79 is one of those platforms where it can be either great or compete on par with Sandy Z68 if you don't get the right parts.

I will be doing business related work on it, so reliability is pretty darn important for me. I might OC the CPU a little, but its not something i focus on. Usage will primarily be in video editing, VFX work, 3D Software development and mobile software development. Hackintoshing is a must, so X79 seems to be the better choice over Z86 in compatility.

Budget would be around 3.500$ for the current setup i have in mind for now, keep in mind this budget is for Danish prices, so look for prices compared to the components i have used.

The components:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K
Cooler: Corsair H80 Hydro
MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
SSD: 2 x Samsung - 840 Pro SSD
DVD Drive: Lite-On iHAS124
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
PSU: Corsair HX750
WIFI: TL-WDN4800 Wireless
RAM: 2 x G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400MHz (4x8) Trident X
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 680 - 4GB

mkenyon

Banned
Scogoth is a Dane too!

I ask about OCing because that's really the major purpose those coolers have. Anything above the Hyper 212 is a purchase to create more OC headroom.

Also, that is a absolutely stellar part lineup. I was fearful of some proprietary mobo and case. Rock solid build you have listed there.

GMM

Banned
Scogoth is a Dane too!

I ask about OCing because that's really the major purpose those coolers have. Anything above the Hyper 212 is a purchase to create more OC headroom.

Also, that is a absolutely stellar part lineup. I was fearful of some proprietary mobo and case. Rock solid build you have listed there.

I want the option to OC the CPU a little, so i figured i might as well just buy a good one to begin with, mostly just concerned about the noise levels of the machine, but compared to my current rig it can't get any worse.

A side question.

Does anyone have experience on using RAMDisk? Having 64gb of RAM is great and makes it an option for me in some cases to set some aside for fast storage. I would in some cases like to use it for scratching when working with files and it seems great for that, but i am unsure how good it is for executing software. My main concern is that i would like to run with 64gb system RAM and then load a RAMDisk "image" from my SSD with some software i want to run, but at the same time i would like the program to be installed on an SSD so i always have access to a "slower" version of it. Would i be able to load say Premiere Pro CS6 to a RAMDisk drive and have it work independent from the version installed on my SSD?

Pretty specific thing, but the SSD solution would be plenty fast anyhow.

scogoth

Scogoth is a Dane too!

This is news to me =P
Canadians are kinda like Danes I guess

I want the option to OC the CPU a little, so i figured i might as well just buy a good one to begin with, mostly just concerned about the noise levels of the machine, but compared to my current rig it can't get any worse.

A side question.

Does anyone have experience on using RAMDisk? Having 64gb of RAM is great and makes it an option for me in some cases to set some aside for fast storage. I would in some cases like to use it for scratching when working with files and it seems great for that, but i am unsure how good it is for executing software. My main concern is that i would like to run with 64gb system RAM and then load a RAMDisk "image" from my SSD with some software i want to run, but at the same time i would like the program to be installed on an SSD so i always have access to a "slower" version of it. Would i be able to load say Premiere Pro CS6 to a RAMDisk drive and have it work independent from the version installed on my SSD?

Pretty specific thing, but the SSD solution would be plenty fast anyhow.

Having a program installed to a RAM disk is doable but really not necessary, you just need the working file on the RAM disk. Just tell premiere to use the RAM disk as the scratch disk and install the program on the SSD. Premiere has a lot of dependancies that get installed in various locations so getting everything hard linked to the RAM disk is a pain.

GMM

Banned
This is news to me =P
Canadians are kinda likes Danes I guess

After all, Denmark is the Canada of Europe:
a_denmark_canada_europe.jpg

Having a program installed to a RAM disk is doable but really not necessary, you just need the working file on the RAM disk. Just tell premiere to use the RAM disk a the scratch disk and installed the program in the SSD. Premiere has a lot of dependancies that get installed in various locations so getting everything hard linked to the RAM disk is a pain.

Yeah, what i thought exactly, but i will toy around with it and see how it works out for me.

rossonero

I have no idea if these are good temperatures, but I got the same at load as you although my idle is lower I think. I don't have a well cooled case (only 2 fans in my Fractal R3) and I got lousy cable management so I think it's possible to get it lower with some effort.

Although now when I think about it my Sapphire 7950 runs at 810MHz so if you got one of the new 7950 ones that run at 925MHz I guess that's good?

Koroviev

I have the Gigabyte version of that card and I get about the same, sometimes a bit lower. I think I could improve airflow in the R4, but I like having all of the sound dampening material.

appaws

Banned
Not sure if this build is any good, I tried pulling everyone's recommendations together and put them into one build, not even sure if the parts are compatible.. PC will be mainly for gaming.
9A1trhL.jpg

Why the 1000w power PSU? Do you have future plans for SLI or something like that...? You would probably be good with 550.

If it is mainly for gaming you could save 100 bucks and go for the i5...(oops, missed those earlier replies)

but you seem to have a big budget anyway....lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom