• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton668

Hope this is the right place to ask this.
Can anyone tell what is the best way to clean my pc?
I keep smelling something like burnt dust from it so I am sure a cleaning is due.

for the most part, compressed air.

now if you havent looked inside for years, we may have to go deeper....

metalshade

Hey guys, looking to see what you guys can recommend.
Currently running a 2500k at stock on stock cooler, and a stock 6870 in a crappy case.
I could buy a 7970, or for the same amount of cash, a 7950, a h60 cooler, and a Haf case, and then learn how to oc my proc.
What would you guys think, is there something I have overlooked?

Also, sidenote. NEVER EVER buy turtle beach headphones. Mine have a constant hiss that I cant stop.

GHG

Currently running a 2500k at stock on stock cooler, and a stock 6870 in a crappy case.
I could buy a 7970, or for the same amount of cash, a 7950, a h60 cooler, and a Haf case, and then learn how to oc my proc.

Also, sidenote. NEVER EVER buy turtle beach headphones. Mine have a constant hiss that I cant stop.

Go with the second option. The 7950 can overclock to 7970 levels of performance and going that route with all the other parts will serve you better in the long run.

kharma45

Was just playing bf3 and my pc shut off. It won't turn back on now. I opened the case and holy hell the psu is nearly on fire it's so hot.
I recently bought one of those Korean monitors and noticed a weird smell ever since. I thought it was just the cheap psu on the monitor. Looking back, I think it was my psu cooking for the last week or so. Oops.

I guess I had this coming, running crossfired 6950s on a 550w coolermaster power supply.

Are there any great deals on psu's right now? I'd love to go modular if the price is right.

yeah you had been stressing that PSU quite a bit tbh.

what is your budget for a new one?

kharma45

Do they ship to the us? Really need a new controller for my pc

edit: it appears not, I just want a good deal on a wired controller is all, 40 is too much imo lol

even if they did ship it the controller wouldn't be that much cheaper, roughly $26 before its posted. Check eBay for them, might snag a good one there.

Just going to throw this question out there again. Since I want a second opinion.

I want to record PlayStation 3 game footage on an internal PC capture card. Preferably if the games show up on my PC desktop via a window with adequately low and playable latency.

Is this possible? I really, really want to record footage of me playing games like Tales of Graces f. Also, what would be the best card to get? I see a Hauppauge Colossus, but I don't know if that's the best or what I want. I would be willing to pay as much as $500 for a good capture card.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just going to throw this question out there again. Since I want a second opinion.

I want to record PlayStation 3 game footage on an internal PC capture card. Preferably if the games show up on my PC desktop via a window with adequately low and playable latency.

Is this possible? I really, really want to record footage of me playing games like Tales of Graces f. Also, what would be the best card to get? I see a Hauppauge Colossus, but I don't know if that's the best or what I want. I would be willing to pay as much as $500 for a good capture card.

That is possible with a dedicated capture card. I don't think you need to spend anything near 500 to do a good capture though. Roxio makes some and there are a few others that should come up in a search on Amazon under "pc capture card" or "video capture card".

DSN2K

anyone else mad enough to use a HDTV as a monitor ? 43in 1080p LG, screen looks fantastic with HDMI. Had to lower the sharpness and other bits but looks as good as any LCD ive owned before just hugely bigger LOL.

Ofm.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
anyone else mad enough to use a HDTV as a monitor ? 43in 1080p LG, screen looks fantastic with HDMI. Had to lower the sharpness and other bits but looks as good as any LCD ive owned before just hugely bigger LOL.

Ofm.jpg
But there aren't any 120Hz TVs......

Avermedia HD. Best out there.

That is possible with a dedicated capture card. I don't think you need to spend anything near 500 to do a good capture though. Roxio makes some and there are a few others that should come up in a search on Amazon under "pc capture card" or "video capture card".
That's, I'm glad I asked for a second opinion. Someone a few days ago responded to that question with "PlayStation 3 is incompatible with capture cards".

Now I just need to know which one to get. I want the best latency possible. Basically one as close to as good as just playing on the TV as possible. Since I'm a bit of a PC gamer, and console emulators for systems like the PlayStation 3, XBOX 360, and Nintendo Wii U don't exist, I'd probably just leave my HDMI cable in the capture card all of the time and use that to play my PlayStation 3 games if I could.

That means, of course, again, the lower the latency the better. So that I can just relax and play PlayStation 3 games on my PC. I do want to know the highest quality model possible. Money isn't much of an issue because I will pay for quality.

Edit:
Avermedia HD. Best out there.
Sold me on it.

Any particular model?

--

On the subject of TVs, my current setup uses two tables and a 40 inch Samsung LED. I am considering buying two more and triple monitoring them as an upgrade. I edited my post because I seriously rambled on about that and I'm sure most people don't really care. I like my setup, though. It's very optimal for computing from my bedroom bed. I also like a bigger image, even if 1080p looks kind of pixelated stretched to 40 inches. I would much prefer 3x 40 inch 1080p screens than 6x 22 inch 1080p screens in my main gaming PC.

In fact, I'm hoping to replace my two 22 inch monitors I have in my home theatre PC while my gaming PC is hooked up to the 40 inch TV, with two two extra 40 inch screens and just plug every single device I own into a single 3x40" triple monitor setup. The only thing I'm worried about is if through capture cards I'll have too much latency or whether I'll need to use RCA and HDMI switcher devices. I'll take pictures if I ever accomplish it.

Jburton

Banned
Jesus. Just played Binary Domain on my new 670 4gig SC... 3200x1600 downsampled to 1080p and every setting cranked up to full and I still get screen tearing from it rendering so fast. I have only ever owned mid-low end cards before. This is a whole new dangerous world.

Welcome to the 670 owners club, that card is sweet.

Enjoy.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Guys. Talk me into this/out of this:
Also, the 7970 has a $30 rebate.

TPOFIMY.png

I won't be building until early April. Is this a good idea or a bad idea to buy this now?

You need a bigger table. That poor hardware looks like it is about to fall off.

My setup is two large wooden dining tables in the room I sleep in across from my bed. One table is enough to hold 4x 22 inch screens. But I just use it for my Samsung. In fact with the two tables side by side like they are I can hold 4x 40 inch screens on them if I wanted to, though I'm going to stop at 3.

That right there, though. That is a tiny table you've got that on. I would never do that. I use a large eating table just for one of those and put the case under it. And will be using two of them side by side for 3.
Welcome to the 670 owners club, that card is sweet.

Enjoy.
For around the same price you can get an HD 7970. Which has much lower power consumption comparatively and is also a more powerful card. Which is the card I would much prefer personally.

But I'm not trying to rain on someone's great card. Just that the AMD GPUs are still what I would recommend right now.

Heck, everyone is hyping the GeForce Titan, but I think I'd much rather have an HD 7990 than that.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I won't be building until early April. Is this a good idea or a bad idea to buy this now?

Seriously depends on your cash flow! I would wait at least 6 months after the new consoles get released. New architecture is looming and gtx 700's are coming soon! I just bought a bit more ram (12 gigs) and a second gtx 580 to hold me off until then.

But all you man...

Can anyone tell me if the Sensei Raw mouse has a smooth or a notched scroll wheel? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

Edit: I don't mean the texture of the wheel itself, I'm referring to the act of scrolling it. Does it spin freely or is there some resistance?

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

Nice, I went with 30 inch just because I want that godlike 2560x1600 resolution :)!

Kipp

Seriously depends on your cash flow! I would wait at least 6 months after the new consoles get released. New architecture is looming and gtx 700's are coming soon! I just bought a bit more ram (12 gigs) and a second gtx 580 to hold me off until then.

But all you man...

Well, I'm currently on a 3 year old Dell sporting a GTS 240.

Sykotik

I use a 52" Sony from a couple years back. Picture looks great, and I don't notice significant latency. 2560x1440 down-sampling as well.

Kipp

Hmm, yeah understand your pain man then!

Hehe. Yeah. You can see why I'd rather not wait almost a year for the new tech to come out :p

Also, if I'm planning to go 120hz, I want the 7970 over the 670, right? I've read about the Nvidia 3D stuff as well as the Lightboost thing which seems to be exclusive to Nvidia, but I don't really know how important that is.

Hawk269

Going to cross post this here and in the Titan thread.

I a bit conflicted on what to do so looking for opinions....

Windows 7 or Windows 8?

I only do gaming on my rig and that is about it. I have 2 Geforce Titan GPU's that I am about to add to the rig, already have Win8 running, but for gaming and gaming alone, would Win7 or Win8 be better?

I know that I will be getting the New Xbox when it comes out and I do like how Win8 integrates with the current Xbox so that is a plus, but overall, for just gaming would Win7 still be the better option? When I upgraded to Win8 it was such a pain in the ass and took forever due to issues. If Win8 becomes more prominent in the near future, I don't want to go through the hassle of doing that again, but at the same time, I do want the best experience and rock solid compatibility with my Titan's and the operating system.

So what is everyone's opinion on this?

Thanks!

Zeth

Got my CM Quickfire Pro w/ Brown switches today. Enjoying it so far. I tried Blue and Red switches at Microcenter and decided on Brown for my uses.

There's a subtle friction/grit when I press the keys, which throws me off a little. Is that normal?

Koroviev

You need a bigger table. That poor hardware looks like it is about to fall off.

My setup is two large wooden dining tables in the room I sleep in across from my bed. One table is enough to hold 4x 22 inch screens. But I just use it for my Samsung. In fact with the two tables side by side like they are I can hold 4x 40 inch screens on them if I wanted to, though I'm going to stop at 3.

That right there, though. That is a tiny table you've got that on. I would never do that. I use a large eating table just for one of those and put the case under it. And will be using two of them side by side for 3.

For around the same price you can get an HD 7970. Which has much lower power consumption comparatively and is also a more powerful card. Which is the card I would much prefer personally.

But I'm not trying to rain on someone's great card. Just that the AMD GPUs are still what I would recommend right now.

Heck, everyone is hyping the GeForce Titan, but I think I'd much rather have an HD 7990 than that.

Given the current state of Crossfire, I wouldn't consider a 7990 at this point.

Ofm.jpg

My secondary monitor is an HD TV, but I'd like to replace it with another 120Hz panel with a glossy finish. Really not a fan of matte, which the HDTV appears to use.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Hehe. Yeah. You can see why I'd rather not wait almost a year for the new tech to come out :p

Also, if I'm planning to go 120hz, I want the 7970 over the 670, right? I've read about the Nvidia 3D stuff as well as the Lightboost thing which seems to be exclusive to Nvidia, but I don't really know how important that is.

Yeah 7970 for sure, very nice card!

check these benches!

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508?vs=598

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Going to cross post this here and in the Titan thread.

I a bit conflicted on what to do so looking for opinions....

Windows 7 or Windows 8?

I only do gaming on my rig and that is about it. I have 2 Geforce Titan GPU's that I am about to add to the rig, already have Win8 running, but for gaming and gaming alone, would Win7 or Win8 be better?

I know that I will be getting the New Xbox when it comes out and I do like how Win8 integrates with the current Xbox so that is a plus, but overall, for just gaming would Win7 still be the better option? When I upgraded to Win8 it was such a pain in the ass and took forever due to issues. If Win8 becomes more prominent in the near future, I don't want to go through the hassle of doing that again, but at the same time, I do want the best experience and rock solid compatibility with my Titan's and the operating system.

So what is everyone's opinion on this?

Thanks!

There is a lot of hate against window 8... adoption is not good at all! So the likes of MS pulling a DX only version and many games supporting is unlikely. I am guessing its going to go from win 7 to win 9 and we will all forget win 8 ever existed!

Edit: 2 Titans in sli... nice! I was looking into a single Titan but price wise I could not convince myself looking at those benches compared to sli solutions. However if you got the money and can afford two Titans in sli go for it! I'll probably wait for the 700 s to come out... Titan has too much of a workstation card price attached to it in my opinion.

Dave_6

Jesus. Just played Binary Domain on my new 670 4gig SC... 3200x1600 downsampled to 1080p and every setting cranked up to full and I still get screen tearing from it rendering so fast. I have only ever owned mid-low end cards before. This is a whole new dangerous world.

Sounds good! Remind me again what the rest of your setup is? I'm using the same GPU and will have mine hooked up to my plasma TV.

Koroviev

Crossfire performance has me kind of regretting going with team red, honestly. The 7950 is the best bang for the single card buck right now, but it'd be an absolutely killer deal if Xfire was up to par.

AMD c'mon I want to buy another one

My only regret is not getting a 7970, but that wasn't an option at the time. I don't feel that I need more than one card since I'm only running on one monitor, but I will always lust after more powerful cards.

Took the plunge, ordered a mechanical keyboard (Quickfire TK) this morning. Costs so much more than this cheap membrane logitech thing I am using. Should be here Monday morning, hope its worth it.

So worth it. Membrane keyboards suck and that quickfire will show you why. I may end up getting a second mech for work.

Probably the second option. You need to give your fancy components a nice home.

kennah

Sounds good! Remind me again what the rest of your setup is? I'm using the same GPU and will have mine hooked up to my plasma TV.
Currently:

Q6600 @ 2.4
Zalman 9700 Green
4 gig Kingston DDR2 800
MSI P35 Neo
Evga 670 SC 4gig
7200 rpm hard drive for os and games
In a Lian Li Pc-62

Output to 22" 1680x1050 and 40" 1080p monitors.

Soon:
CM 212 with 120mm Noctuas
8gig of Samsung Ram
128gig Samsung 830
60gig ocz vector 3
Mobo and case tba - probably a Bitfenix Prodigy Orange with Asus P8Z77-I

scogoth

Currently:

Q6600 @ 2.4
Zalman 9700 Green
4 gig Kingston DDR2 800
MSI P35 Neo
Evga 670 SC 4gig
7200 rpm hard drive for os and games
In a Lian Li Pc-62

Output to 22" 1680x1050 and 40" 1080p monitors.

Not Soon Enough:
CM 212 with 120mm Noctuas
8gig of Samsung Ram
128gig Samsung 830
60gig ocz vector 3
Mobo and case tba - probably a Bitfenix Prodigy Orange with Asus P8Z77-I

Never liked TV pc gaming, I hate seeing each individual pixel sitting at a desk.

120 Hz you know you wanna

kennah

Never liked TV pc gaming, I hate seeing each individual pixel sitting at a desk.

120 Hz you know you wanna
You are worse than mkenyon

Lol. Just noticed the not soon enough. Have everything but mobo and case and the Prodigy isn't available here for another month or two (and I'm too cheap to pay shipping)

I want to upgrade my graphics card but I'm not sure about a few things:

My specs (with newegg links!):
GTX 460 1GB GDDR5
500W Power Supply
i5 &50 clocked at 2.67 GHz
4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
mATX Vulcan case

The reason why I'm including the case as part of my "specs" is that it's a micro ATX tower, meaning less space to deal with. I can't do fancy cooling solutions for my CPU or an extra-long graphics card, for instance.

Now onto the questions:

1) My CPU is an i5 750 that I can overclock to 3.0 GHz. Should I be upgrading that before the graphics card or am I good with that for a while yet? I don't think I've run into many games that are bottlenecking me because of CPU, but I can't be too sure.

2) I've been eye-ing the GTX 660 Ti for quite a while, but I'm kind of concerned about price ($350 IIRC). Though I've heard that AMD is really quite affordable, I'm wary about getting AMD since for the past several years there are driver problems on the AMD side and I've heard more than a few people on GAF express quite a bit of regret at going AMD. What's the general consensus here? nVidia has been nothing but good to me the entire time I've had my 460, but I have no firsthand experience with AMD. If you really think I should go AMD, which card should I be looking at? (EDIT: I'm not locked down to 660Ti, if you suggest another nVidia card like a 670, which I've read on here can actually be cheaper than $350, please do so)

3) Is a 460-to-660Ti a worthwhile upgrade? I'm increasingly having to lower the settings on newer releases because I don't get a smooth 60 FPS at 1080p with 4xAA and maxed out (or close to maxed out) graphics anymore. Would a 660Ti get me back on that level for most new releases? (Of course, there'll be the exception like Crysis 3, I don't expect flawless performance out of powerhouse games).

4) Is upgrading even worthwhile now? I wouldn't get a new graphics card for several years, and I'm kind of concerned that the new consoles would easily surpass most any GPU in today's PC market (8GB GDDR5 and all that jazz). Is that a legit concern or just FUD?

5) If I were to upgrade to a 660Ti or an AMD equivalent, would it fit in a mATX case? Would it be fine with my power supply? I want to avoid a situation where I get the card but can't actually use it because I have to change something else in my rig.

6) "Optional" question (this sounds like a quiz now :p): What can I do with my old 460 if I did upgrade? This is my first time I'd be swapping out GPUs, whereas before I'd wait until the computer is so old I build a totally new one. Is it a thing to sell old cards?

kharma45

GTX 460 1GB GDDR5
500W Power Supply
mATX Vulcan case

The reason why I'm including the case as part of my "specs" is that it's a micro ATX tower, meaning less space to deal with. I can't do fancy cooling solutions for my CPU or an extra-long graphics card, for instance.

Now onto the questions:

1) My CPU is an i5 750 that I can overclock to 3.0 GHz. Should I be upgrading that before the graphics card or am I good with that for a while yet? I don't think I've run into many games that are bottlenecking me because of CPU, but I can't be too sure.

2) I've been eye-ing the GTX 660 Ti for quite a while, but I'm kind of concerned about price ($350 IIRC). Though I've heard that AMD is really quite affordable, I'm wary about getting AMD since for the past several years there are driver problems on the AMD side and I've heard more than a few people on GAF express quite a bit of regret at going AMD. What's the general consensus here? nVidia has been nothing but good to me the entire time I've had my 460, but I have no firsthand experience with AMD. If you really think I should go AMD, which card should I be looking at? (EDIT: I'm not locked down to 660Ti, if you suggest another nVidia card like a 670, which I've read on here can actually be cheaper than $350, please do so)

3) Is a 460-to-660Ti a worthwhile upgrade? I'm increasingly having to lower the settings on newer releases because I don't get a smooth 60 FPS at 1080p with 4xAA and maxed out (or close to maxed out) graphics anymore. Would a 660Ti get me back on that level for most new releases? (Of course, there'll be the exception like Crysis 3, I don't expect flawless performance out of powerhouse games).

4) Is upgrading even worthwhile now? I wouldn't get a new graphics card for several years, and I'm kind of concerned that the new consoles would easily surpass most any GPU in today's PC market (8GB GDDR5 and all that jazz). Is that a legit concern or just FUD?

5) If I were to upgrade to a 660Ti or an AMD equivalent, would it fit in a mATX case? Would it be fine with my power supply? I want to avoid a situation where I get the card but can't actually use it because I have to change something else in my rig.

6) "Optional" question (this sounds like a quiz now :p): What can I do with my old 460 if I did upgrade? This is my first time I'd be swapping out GPUs, whereas before I'd wait until the computer is so old I build a totally new one. Is it a thing to sell old cards?

1. You can OC that i5 much further with a good cooler, I've one at 3.8GHz. You'll be good for another while after doing that.

2. AMD offers better bang for buck, free games and their drivers are pretty solid now, no worse than Nvidia's. 7950 is in your budget and the 7970 might just be inside for a Sapphire one.

3. It is yes but for the 660 Ti go for the 3GB as the 2GB card is essentially only 1.5GB due to the memory bus. The performance difference is roughly this http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/542?vs=647

4. No new GPUs until the end of the year so the time is right now to buy. The 8GB of RAM is blown out of proportion by people who don't understand what it actually means. If you go for a 3GB card you'll be fine for a good while.

5. Your PSU, whilst not the best, will be enough. It is something I would consider upgrading, maybe a new one plus a 7950 could be a good shout.

6. Do whatever you wish, selling it is an option indeed.

IMACOMPUTA

yeah you had been stressing that PSU quite a bit tbh.

what is your budget for a new one?
Well it'd be nice to stay at around $100, but I could go higher. I've always skimped out on power supplies. Maybe I should get a nice one now...

And comfy couch gaming is where it's at. I recently did some macguyver style cord runs from my basement office up to my Livingroom 55" tv. Ran USB over Ethernet, Ethernet, and hdmi. Plugged a USB hub in so I have my 360 controller receiver and a wireless kb+m and plugged a switch in so I can have all of my consoles on wired instead of wifi. Feels good man.

MisterNoisy

GTX 460 1GB GDDR5
500W Power Supply
mATX Vulcan case

Now onto the questions:

The Vulcan can fit some fairly long cards (I know my 670 would easily fit in it), and if you're not wedded to the fan on the left side panel, you can easily fit a 160mm high tower cooler - you just need to orient it so that it blows upwards towards the two top exhaust fans.

All that said, I'd probably stand pat until you can do a full build - the i5 and the 460 should be enough to play most games at decent settings for a while still. Maybe a couple of inexpensive upgrades (RAM and possibly a CPU cooler so you can OC that i5) to help keep the bug at bay.

gogojira

Just did some wire cleanup and attached an older HDD with a bunch of my old information and it was insane how much more comfortable I felt. I'm no mastermind but I was plugging equipment in and out with no hesitation and I even did some significant improvements to my cable management.

My CPU power cable is still too short to run behind my R4's wall, but I might get an extension to remedy that.

It's more of a relief than anything. I damn near felt defeated the first night but now I'm glad I stuck it out because I felt way more comfortable now. Thanks for all the help throughout this process, this thread rocks.

Manp

Ofm.jpg

there's a cat on your PC, in case you didn't notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom