• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoplx

You might be better waiting for the standalone version before making any buying decisions, because it will run on a new significantly more optimized engine.

Well he wants it now and will play other games, dayz just seems to be his main interest right now. Also I'm only up visiting family for a few days so can't really wait either.

Doing a bit of reading it looks like it will be fine, turning some settings down should work, the arma 2 engine is pretty scaleable from what I remember.

Demon Ice

Banned
Other than the video card (which you pegged with the 4gb RAM why I picked it) though, I'm good to go right?

Yeah if you're dead set on never OC'ing the processor

Check out the builds listed in the OP for budget Z77 motherboards and look into getting a Core i5 3570k otherwise, shouldn't add too much to your build cost and, like mkenyon said, you'll see a performance increase.

knitoe

I have saved my money for about 3 months, and I'm debating on whether or not to replace my SLI GTX 690's with SLI GTX Titans? Worth it right now, or wait for something better?

Also considering a mobo upgrade to upgrade my 2600k 4.4 OC, with a similar top of the line CPU at a similar clock.

Usually, SLI Titans are faster than SLI 690s, but not a big difference. Scaling on 3-4 GPUs are mostly not that great. And, it seems like the Titan will probably be the fastest card for another year. If you got the money and itch, do it. One year is a very long wait.

Haswell is coming out soon, but the performance doesn't seem that much better. You can go the Intel 6 core CPU X79 route or wait for next version. Personally, I am sticking with the 2600K@4.5GHz. Maybe, OC further until Intel's next 6-8 core CPU.

mkenyon

Banned
WORD ON THE STREET IS NO 700 SERIES TILL 2014.

Excited to see the new baby Titan though. I hope they get clever with the name and call it Eos, Helios, Atlas, or something similar (the first Titan offspring).

friday

Yep.

I wouldn't use anything other than a receiver with those to get the proper power going to them.

Well they are internally powered so something like a preamp is not necessary. I like this sound card idea for more reasons than just hooking up these specific speakers also, so I think I will get the card.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Excited to see the new baby Titan though. I hope they get clever with the name and call it Eos, Helios, Atlas, or something similar (the first Titan offspring).

Da fuck.

Hopefully that means early 2014 Mawell.

Otherwise, LAAAAMMMMMEEEEEEEE

I hope there's a breakthrough in graphene CPUs because honestly this industry is getting boring.

mkenyon

Banned
Da fuck.

Hopefully that means early 2014 Mawell.

Otherwise, LAAAAMMMMMEEEEEEEE

I hope there's a breakthrough in graphene CPUs because honestly this industry is getting boring.
More like 2015 Maxwell.

When bored, watercool.

That gives you a whole new set of parts to fawn over and eagerly anticipate release dates.

Smash88

Banned
I still think the GTX 700 will be coming out in the next few months.

There is no way they will just depend on the sparse GTX Titan sales, for the next year. I'm pretty sure Nvidia is not crazy enough to not release video cards for a year.

Rumors are still rumors.

The source you are referencing mkenyon is of a "leak". I'm going to take that with a pinch of salt. They are probably keeping it under wraps so people will continue to buy Titan's.

They are releasing mobile 700's. The prices of the 600 series are lowering, at weird intervals. Everything points to a release soon.

EDIT: Holy shit really guys? We are going to believe this?

I followed the trail.

http://wccftech.com/rumor-nvidia-delays-geforce-700-series-2014-geforce-gtx-titan-le-q3-2013/

Then the source goes to ->

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=4555&graphics

All it has on the article about GTX 700 not coming this year is speculation. There is no proof of how the GTX 700 will not come out. I don't see any papers or documentation.

I'm not going to believe a website that I have NEVER heard of about what will be released.

Pandemic

Alrighty, think my build quote is done, and about to send it off to get built,
Here's what I have,
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Black 2TB WD2002FAEX
CPU Cooler: Enermax Liquid CPU Cooler ELC240
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DGX
Optical Drive: Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Black 24x DVDRW OEM
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
Wireless: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 450Mbps Wireless N PCIe Adaptor
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
MOBO: MSI Z77 MPOWER Motherboard
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid M850 850W

Any final thoughts would be appreciated. This will mainly be used for gaming, and a bit of work. Hopefully last me a few years (1-3 years) before I need to start upgrading anything. Pretty pumped to get it built already after all this waiting. :p

Thanks.

Anyone able to provide some feedback on this build?

It'd be appreciated, thanks. :)

Smokey

I still think the GTX 700 will be coming out in the next few months.

There is no way they will just depend on the sparse GTX Titan sales, for the next year. I'm pretty sure Nvidia is not crazy enough to not release video cards for a year.

Rumors are still rumors.

The source you are referencing mkenyon is of a "leak". I'm going to take that with a pinch of salt. They are probably keeping it under wraps so people will continue to buy Titan's.

They are releasing mobile 700's. The prices of the 600 series are lowering, at weird intervals. Everything points to a release soon.

EDIT: Holy shit really guys? We are going to believe this?

I followed the trail.

http://wccftech.com/rumor-nvidia-delays-geforce-700-series-2014-geforce-gtx-titan-le-q3-2013/

Then the source goes to ->

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=4555&graphics

All it has on the article about GTX 700 not coming this year is speculation. There is no proof of how the GTX 700 will not come out. I don't see any papers or documentation.

I'm not going to believe a website that I have NEVER heard of about what will be released.

They have no reason to release the 700 series this year. They have the fastest single card out. AMD isn't launching the 7000 series until 2014.

Anyone able to provide some feedback on this build?

It'd be appreciated, thanks. :)

Go with Powerline ethernet rather than the wireless PCIe Adapter. It's much better than wireless. I had a wifi adapter before going to this. Night and day difference. If you're getting an optical drive, any reason why it's not Blu-ray?

Is the difference between the i5 and i7 really that negligible? My rig is going to be mostly used for gaming, but also some photo and video editing. I'd rather spend a bit more on a video card and CPU now instead of later down the line.

Smash88

Banned
They have no reason to release the 700 series this year. They have the fastest single card out. AMD isn't launching the 7000 series until 2014.

Actually they do. People that want to upgrade from a previous generation of GPUs. Also the Titans are way out of peoples budgets. I for one, would not want to get a $1000 GPU, when the life span for it is 1 year tops before something better comes along.

They can't survive on the small profits of the GTX Titan and the waning profits of the GTX 600 series. Especially when AMD will be releasing their new lineup later this year.

Pandemic

Go with Powerline ethernet rather than the wireless PCIe Adapter. It's much better than wireless. I had a wifi adapter before going to this. Night and day difference. If you're getting an optical drive, any reason why it's not Blu-ray?

Thanks for responding, appreciate it.

Well I just discovered this morning that I should be able to get a wired connection/ethernet to the router/modem, since the router/modem will be moved to the room with the PC. So I'm not even sure if I'll need the wireless card anymore, but I thought it's better to have it incase, but I guess there isn't any point?

As for optical drive, I thought it'd be cheaper, since it's $25 and a blu-ray is however much extra. With my current PC, I had never needed a blu-ray player, since it's all DVD/CD. Do you think I'd need a blu-ray player?

Thanks again.

Would be hard to say your making any bad choices. Should be a solid build and last you over the desired time span.

Alright cool, thanks a lot for your feedback.

Smokey

Actually they do. People that want to upgrade from a previous generation of GPUs. Also the Titans are way out of peoples budgets. I for one, would not want to get a $1000 GPU, when the life span for it is 1 year tops before something better comes along.

Just because you want them to doesn't mean they need to.

Thanks for responding, appreciate it.

Well I just discovered this morning that I should be able to get a wired connection/ethernet to the router/modem, since the router/modem will be moved to the room with the PC. So I'm not even sure if I'll need the wireless card anymore, but I thought it's better to have it incase, but I guess there isn't any point?

As for optical drive, I thought it'd be cheaper, since it's $25 and a blu-ray is however much extra. With my current PC, I had never needed a blu-ray player, since it's all DVD/CD. Do you think I'd need a blu-ray player?

Not really, was just curious since the rest of your machine is pretty high end. I have a Blu-ray drive and now it's not even in my case. Barely used it. Your machine looks nice and balanced and will definitely last you 3+ years if you so choose.

Smash88

Banned

Oh and I agree. Although, signs point in the other direction than these rumors that have been coming up recently. I'm also going to be building a new computer in June, so hopefully by then Nvidia will announce what they need to.

HOPEFULLY! D:

Pandemic

Not really, was just curious since the rest of your machine is pretty high end. I have a Blu-ray drive and now it's not even in my case. Barely used it. Your machine looks nice and balanced and will definitely last you 3+ years if you so choose.

Oh sick, I was expecting 1 year before needing to upgrade, but 3 years is great. Thanks mate for responding, puts my worries and concerns aside.

Smokey

Oh and I agree. Although, signs point in the other direction than these rumors that have been coming up recently. I'm also going to be building a new computer in June, so hopefully by then Nvidia will announce what they need to.

HOPEFULLY! D:

They'll probably have announced Titan Jr by then. I just wouldn't get my hopes up for a 700 series this year. Business wise they don't really need to right now. Devs are using their 680 in demos. They have the Titan and soon to be Titan Jr. AMD is having Xfire problems so they've got the dual+ card market covered too.

Oh sick, I was expecting 1 year before needing to upgrade, but 3 years is great. Thanks mate for responding, puts my worries and concerns aside.

No way. That's a high end machine. People tend to really underestimate how strong/fast their computers are. Namely the CPU and GPU relative to the gaming software that is out.

Toski

I just bought a 512GB Samsung 840 pro and was wondering if I needed an actual HDD seeing as it will be put in a clean PC with nothing to backup. I have a 1TB HDD right now and I'm only using 144GB, and I don't see me needing that much storage anytime soon.

kennah

I just bought a 512GB Samsung 840 pro and was wondering if I needed an actual HDD seeing as it will be put in a clean PC with nothing to backup. I have a 1TB HDD right now and I'm only using 144GB, and I don't see me needing that much storage anytime soon.

Totally up to you, a hard drive is certainly not a requirement!

Demon Ice

Banned

I'm getting by with less than 400 GB in my current build so yeah 512 shouldn't be an issue at all.

LCGeek

formerly sane
When it came to Sleeping Dogs and Hitman Absolution, I basically saw no difference, and with Just Cause 2, I saw a 1 FPS increasse with the overclock. Am I wrong for thinking that something is not right with these results?

I was trying to get at that as it's hit or miss despite other amd cards doing well when they get oced. Wish I could help out more but I don't own that series or deal with amd cards that much anymore though I soon may depending on what new gpu I settle on.

This summer I will be having enough funds to upgrade various parts of my 3570 transplant setup. Don't need help on gpus just yet as I wish to see what will happen between now and july but if anyone has any good recommendations on a 25"-27" monitor would love to hear it. Also if anyone has gone from say 22"-24" to 25" can you give me a heads up on if the size is noticeable and worth the cost.

Is Aero supposed to be laggy as hell when I'm playing a video on my second monitor? I'm talking about the animations and dragging windows around the desktop; it just chugs along! If I minimise the video everything is smooth again but if the video is visible everything goes to shit. Doesn't matter if it's VLC, MPC-HC, Windows Media Player or even a flash player in my browser. Hell, even without a video playing it's sometimes kinda laggy.

Turning off transparency helps a bit, and turning Aero off entirely makes everything super smooth all the time, but it looks kinda crappy. This happened on my 560Ti and it's still happening on the 670 I have now. I've read about other people on the exact same hardware with dual monitors not having this issue so I'm just really confused.

Disabling the second monitor also fixes the problem, but I really shouldn't have to do that to get the desktop to run smoothly...

Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

This "rumor" makes no sense from what we already know. Keplar refresh in late 2013/early 2014, and Maxwell in late 2014/early 2015.

TSMC would have to seriously get themselves together to get the smaller (20nm? I forgot what they're doing next) GPUs out in early 2014, unless early 2014 is "before the end of Q2" 2014.

Logitech K400

PoweredBySoy said:
The K400 works pretty well, but my main gripe is that the touchpad is too sensitive to double-clicks. Meaning if you're moving your finger in multiple swipe motions, and you swipe too fast, it'll sense it as a double-click. So I'm often opening files and programs by accident. I even went into mouse options and turned the double-click sensitivity all the way down. SetPoint doesn't seem to offer any options to remedy this either.

After a bit of Googling I found the fix to this. On the K400, hit the blue Function key and the left-click button at the same time. This will toggle the touch-to-click ability off, which makes this keyboard 100 times more usable.

And it doesn't disable all of the touch functions either - like you can still use the two-finger slide to scroll.

Anton668

honestly, for the most part, unless its a X51, they are frowned upon.

now add HP to the equation and they are REALLY frowned upon.

for the price asked its too much. X51 is a better system all around

Anybody able to help me?

I tried installing a couple of mods into Civ V and they've completely ♥♥♥♥ed up my game. Whenever I start a new game now in vanilla, my map is tiny with no players on it, no matter what I select in the setup.

I've unsubscribed to the mods (I don't know if that actually deletes them) and I've tried reinstalling Civ twice. None of it has helped.

Anton668

I tried installing a couple of mods into Civ V and they've completely ♥♥♥♥ed up my game. Whenever I start a new game now in vanilla, my map is tiny with no players on it, no matter what I select in the setup.

I've unsubscribed to the mods (I don't know if that actually deletes them) and I've tried reinstalling Civ twice. None of it has helped.

never played Civ but, unsubscribed? if the files are not deleted from your sys, they are still there.

I play World of Tanks a lot and have a bunch of mods. Sometimes with updates the mods break the game and the only way to fix it is to go into the game folder and delete the mods myself.

Dave_6

Any idea how much space Windows 7, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and Portal 2 would take up? I have a 120GB SSD for my new build and may not buy a hard drive right now due to the issues they seem to be having.

Anton668

Any idea how much space Windows 7, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and Portal 2 would take up? I have a 120GB SSD for my new build and may not buy a hard drive right now due to the issues they seem to be having.

that all right there is about 77+Gb. Not including Steam/Origin/etc..

Lord Phol

honestly, for the most part, unless its a X51, they are frowned upon.

now add HP to the equation and they are REALLY frowned upon.

for the price asked its too much. X51 is a better system all around

Hm, the X51 looks all right, but it only has 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660GTX. Seems a little weak to me, not that 660 is a bad card in itself but I'm pretty sure a 2GB 680 blows it away.
Also the CPU is a bit weaker.

Thanks for the input though!

Shambles

After a bit of Googling I found the fix to this. On the K400, hit the blue Function key and the left-click button at the same time. This will toggle the touch-to-click ability off, which makes this keyboard 100 times more usable.

And it doesn't disable all of the touch functions either - like you can still use the two-finger slide to scroll.

Interesting. I didn't know that. I love how the K400 has the extra left click button on the top left of the keyboard. Seems more natural than even tap clicking.

Anton668

Hm, the X51 looks all right, but it only has 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660GTX. Seems a little weak to me, not that 660 is a bad card in itself but I'm pretty sure a 2GB 680 blows it away.

I was more commenting on the general rule of thumb round these parts. and for the HP, that may have been some of my hatred for them coming out. been burned by them before and will never go back.

and IIRC the GPU in the X51 isnt a regular card. Its better than it seems

kennah

The HP doesn't tell you what chipset the motherboard is or what kind of cooler is on the cpu. Thus you don't know your overclocking options. Which makes the K series chip a potential waste.

Why not build your own for that kind of money? I don't trust HP at all. Have had too much shit break in the past.

Anton668

I've seen it mentioned quite a bit in this thread about reliability issues with current drives.

Besides the OS, should I install Steam and Origin on the SSD too?

dont think you would have to as its the games themselves that you really want on there. and you only have to install the games you are currently playing.

knitoe

I've seen it mentioned quite a bit in this thread about reliability issues with current drives.

Besides the OS, should I install Steam and Origin on the SSD too?

Sure, if you have the free space. In my case with >500GB Steam games, nope. H Instead, I use Steam Mover to move games I am currently playing to the SSD and back to HDD once I am finish with them. Anyone know if they is something similar for Origin and UPlay?

Edit: Seems, you can just use Steam Mover for all.

Anton668

The HP doesn't tell you what chipset the motherboard is or what kind of cooler is on the cpu. Thus you don't know your overclocking options. Which makes the K series chip a potential waste.

this as well. for $1500+ i want to know the make and model of every single f'ing part in my system!

Can someone help me with my first PC build? I have about $850 to spend and don't need a keyboard, mouse, monitor or speakers. I would like to have the ability to connect to my TV occasionly to play games on my 65' LED. Cannot someone put a build together which gives me the best bang for my buck?

Lord Phol

Why not build your own for that kind of money? I don't trust HP at all. Have had too much shit break in the past.

Well I won't ever be doing overclocking since I don't trust myself with that stuff..
I could get a PC custom built where I pick the parts myself, but I'm a bit of a hurry since I don't have a computer at all atm.

But seeing all the hate for HP I guess I'll just stay away from them at least, thanks for the comments!

I was more commenting on the general rule of thumb round these parts. and for the HP, that may have been some of my hatred for them coming out. been burned by them before and will never go back.

and IIRC the GPU in the X51 isnt a regular card. Its better than it seems

Hmm I see.. for me who isn't very tech-savvy I would never know that. I would just see the 1,5GB GTX660 and think meh. But if the X51 really is that good I guess I could put it on the maybe list.

On another note though, computers (and parts) in sweden are really costly so I doubt Ill get anything good (for gaming) below 1500 USD.

Anton668

Can someone help me with my first PC build? I have about $850 to spend and don't need a keyboard, mouse, monitor or speakers. I would like to have the ability to connect to my TV occasionly to play games on my 65' LED. Cannot someone put a build together which gives me the best bang for my buck?

check out the enhanced build in the OP

Well I won't ever be doing overclocking since I don't trust myself with that stuff..

even more reason to not get the one you linked. The CPU in it is meant to be overclocked. so if you arent, thats money wasted right there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom