• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the implications and potential damage of running a 670 at ~100% at 75C for extended periods of time?

Sounds like you're about to head into the world of Bitcoin/Litecoin mining?

Worst case scenario, it'll reduce the lifespan of your card, but honestly I wouldn't worry about that. Cards last pretty much forever. 75 is a decent temperature.

Katyusha

I think I've finalized my setup, for the most part. This is what I plan on buying:
yPh49qx.jpg

I have a 1TB HDD I can use, it sucks, but it would work for general storage. I also plan on holding on to my video card for a bit before I upgrade since that'll be a little more expensive. I also have an old PSU that I can use.

The only thing I'm majorly unsure of is the CPU. NewEgg has a $20 off code for the next few hours, so it'll be $20 cheaper. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Do you live near a Micro Center? If so, you could get a 3770k for $229

DTKT

Sounds like you're about to head into the world of Bitcoin/Litecoin mining?

Worst case scenario, it'll reduce the lifespan of your card, but honestly I wouldn't worry about that. Cards last pretty much forever. 75 is a decent temperature.

Yeah, that stuff is fascinating. It's probably going to be a short lived experiment, since its not particularly complicated to set up, but it's worth a shot.

derder

looking for some advice on upgrading my aging system. I only have about $350 i can spend now.

current:
athlon2 x4 630, 8gb ram, 5770 1gb video card. the rest i can keep.

For 350$ i can get an i5 3570 and motherboard to go with it and 8gb ram. also assuming my ram will not carry over. so thats about all i can afford at this point. just keep the video card for now and live with it until i can afford to upgrade that.

the other option would be to just get a new video card now and then do the cpu/mb/ram later, but that doesnt seem like the best way to go...

anything im not thining about or missing?

I'd wait until Haswell and then buy a new cpu/mobo/ram combo

ss_lemonade

Ugh, so I think my ASUS GTX670 has kicked the bucket to a degree. Here's what happened tonight:

While playing The Last Remnant my screen froze and then suddenly went black and never came back. After a forced reset the system would start to boot into Windows 7 but it would reset and freeze with a blank screen right after the "Starting Windows 7" screen.

I found I could boot into Windows 7 in safe mode fine and run off of the generic driver, however there were red blotches all over the screen that had never been there before. Once in safe mode I uninstalled all the Nvidia drivers and that allowed me to boot back into Windows 7 non-Safe Mode and run the card with a generic Windows display driver. However, the red blotchy corruption was still there. Here's a photo I took of the screen to show the blotches (I'm not sure they show up in print-screen captures):

Any time I tried reinstalling the Nvidia graphic drivers (I tried the last two driver revisions) Windows would fail to boot after restarting the computer after the install and I would be forced to reset the computer as before.

I also tried installing the stability BIOS update available on the Asus site, but that did absolutely no good.

So the card technically still functions using a generic driver, but occasionally the PC boots up and isn't even able to identify the card as a 670 and the card won't output anything higher than 640x480 (or so it looks like anyway).

So, seems to be RMA time unfortunately. I really want to get off of this i7-870 and this P55a Gigabyte motherboard, it's been the most unstable system I've ever built.
Looks like a memory problem with the gpu. My old 8800 sadly had a similar problem, maybe from always reaching 100c when gaming

Varna

This is a weird problem I am having.

With my old 690GTX (and many other nvidia cards) I was able to connect my monitor to port 1, HDTV to port 3 and switching between the two was pretty simple. WIN key + P and hit projector. For whatever reason I can't do this anymore. Doing the same thing just causes my monitor to go blank and come back with a no projector detected message. Also for whatever reason my HDTV gets priority over my monitor if both are connected. What could I be doing wrong?

Anton668

So I just got a budget of 1200 to order a PC. I'm looking at buying from ibuypower, but before I pull the trigger I curious if there is a similar site or better one. I like the customizability of the build, but shipping looks crazy.

short answer, avoid ibuy. better links in OP.

and a reminder that youre always better building yourself

Colin.

As someone that doesn't rely on inbuilt graphics, I might give Haswell a miss due to the pretty meh spec bump. My thinking is that once this chip is released I'll be able to pick up an ivy for a nice price, but could be wrong. Has that been the case for past chips, or do they maintain their sell on values well?

ZenVolta

Help PC Gaf!

I need a new CPU cooler. Im running an AMD FX-8350 8 core overclocked to 4.5.

What should I get for cooling? Water? Air? Im not looking to break the bank and im kinda nervous about water cooling.

Also when a cooler has pre-applied thermal paste should I clean that off and use something like Arctic silver 5? Or use both?

Mad Max

As someone that doesn't rely on inbuilt graphics, I might give Haswell a miss due to the pretty meh spec bump. My thinking is that once this chip is released I'll be able to pick up an ivy for a nice price, but could be wrong. Has that been the case for past chips, or do they maintain their sell on values well?

The prices never really drop with intel (not for for new cpus anyway), they'll just stop producing ivy and wait till the stock runs out. So if you're going to wait anyway you might as well just get a haswell cpu, especially since there should still be atleast a ~10% performance increase.

Arkage

Banned
Hey, hoping somebody can help me out on my computer's refusal to overclock the CPU. This is my first attempt at it so I'm hoping something is wrong with what I am doing rather than something being wrong with the hardware since I don't want to have to return stuff.

I bought the ASRock z77 Pro4 and i5-3570K at the suggestions of this thread, everything is up and running fine. With the exception that I'm not able to overclock it. I'm on bios 1.70 (dunno if that matters), and I've been following guides that are specific to overclocking on ASRock. I set the "CPU ratio" to "All Core" and then the number box appears. However I can't increase it past 38. Any time I put in a higher number it resets to 38 as soon as I switch boxes. I also noticed that I'm not able to select "Intel Turbo Boost Technology." It's set to "enabled" but according to guides I read there's supposed to be an "Additional Turbo Voltage" menu that unlocks, but I don't see it.

Any help appreciated.

ziadoz

Neo Member
Thanks. I just thought those were part links. I wish I had the time to build one, but I just don't have the time of the patience.

It'd been a long long time since I built my last computer, but it only took me a couple of hours to put together my new rig. You'll be fine, just watch the videos in the OP and make sure you understand everything before hand. It's like piecing together expensive Lego bricks.

Pandemic

And I think my build is complete, going to get it built tomorrow, and hopefully be finished by early next week,
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Black 2TB WD2002FAEX
CPU Cooler: Enermax Liquid CPU Cooler ELC240
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DGX
Optical Drive: Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Black 24x DVDRW OEM
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
Wireless: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 450Mbps Wireless N PCIe Adaptor
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
MOBO: MSI Z77 MPOWER Motherboard
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid M850 850W

Pretty pumped :D

Thanks for everyones help with this build, appreciate it.

Dead Man

So AusGAF has been helping me with a build, I thought it wouldn't hurt to get some more ideas here.

Your Current Specs: As in what I have now? LOL laptop with a dead battery.
Budget: $1500 Australia. I can go higher but I don't there will be much value to me.
Main Use: Light Gaming 3
Gaming 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) 1
Video Editing 1
HD Streaming 4
3D/Model work 1
General Usage 4
Monitor Resolution: I'll be looking at monitors next week when I can go look at some in store.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Just games. 30fps is acceptable as long as it is locked.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope lol
When will you build?: Ordering in the next 2-3 weeks.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe eventually.

This is what I have so far using PC Case Gear:

QT49Ftx.png

I know the case is heavy but it won't be being moved. I also am not sure what version of Windows will be best, any advice?

Okay, so the other day I was trying to torrent and install a program, but after many attempts I kept getting the same error, (cyclic redundancy error)

So I get a new hard drive, a brand new 1.5 TB hard drive, first thing i do when i get home after installing the important windows updates was try the torrent again and it again does NOT work. I need a pro to tell me exactly what the fuck im doing wrong otherwise I just wasted a lot of $ trying to fix my shit computer =\

edit : basically i am asking how to fix the CYCLIC REDUNDANCY ERROR

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Help PC Gaf!

I need a new CPU cooler. Im running an AMD FX-8350 8 core overclocked to 4.5.

What should I get for cooling? Water? Air? Im not looking to break the bank and im kinda nervous about water cooling.

Also when a cooler has pre-applied thermal paste should I clean that off and use something like Arctic silver 5? Or use both?
CM 212 EVO is a great value, but you might consider an AIO water cooler like the H60/H100/CM240 since an OC'd FX chip can produce a good amount of heat.

The paste that comes pre-applied now is actually pretty good so you can use that, or clean it off and use AS5 if you like.
Hey, hoping somebody can help me out on my computer's refusal to overclock the CPU. This is my first attempt at it so I'm hoping something is wrong with what I am doing rather than something being wrong with the hardware since I don't want to have to return stuff.

I bought the ASRock z77 Pro4 and i5-3570K at the suggestions of this thread, everything is up and running fine. With the exception that I'm not able to overclock it. I'm on bios 1.70 (dunno if that matters), and I've been following guides that are specific to overclocking on ASRock. I set the "CPU ratio" to "All Core" and then the number box appears. However I can't increase it past 38. Any time I put in a higher number it resets to 38 as soon as I switch boxes. I also noticed that I'm not able to select "Intel Turbo Boost Technology." It's set to "enabled" but according to guides I read there's supposed to be an "Additional Turbo Voltage" menu that unlocks, but I don't see it.

Any help appreciated.
Hey Arkage, some of the ASRock Pro4's do not seem to hold overclocks. This has been something that luckily hasn't affect anyone here until now and reports are fairly minor given the amount of product ASRock ships. It's been on the update list to replace (But all $100 Z77 boards have their own other quirks, so it hasn't been replaced yet).

That said I don't think that is your problem?

What you can try and do is update your BIOS then power cycle your PC (Shut down PC, turn PSU off, hold power for 20 seconds, turn PSU on, wait a minute, turn on).

Also some overclocking guides and information can be found here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1254599/official-asrock-z77-discussion-owners-club
(Click the Overclocking tab to expand some links).
And I think my build is complete, going to get it built tomorrow, and hopefully be finished by early next week,
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Black 2TB WD2002FAEX
CPU Cooler: Enermax Liquid CPU Cooler ELC240
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DGX
Optical Drive: Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Black 24x DVDRW OEM
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
Wireless: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 450Mbps Wireless N PCIe Adaptor
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
MOBO: MSI Z77 MPOWER Motherboard
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid M850 850W

Pretty pumped :D

Thanks for everyones help with this build, appreciate it.
Very nice build, looking forward to pics.
So AusGAF has been helping me with a build, I thought it wouldn't hurt to get some more ideas here.

Budget: $1500 Australia. I can go higher but I don't there will be much value to me.
Gaming 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) 1
Video Editing 1
HD Streaming 4
3D/Model work 1
General Usage 4
Monitor Resolution: I'll be looking at monitors next week when I can go look at some in store.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Just games. 30fps is acceptable as long as it is locked.

This is what I have so far using PC Case Gear:

QT49Ftx.png

I know the case is heavy but it won't be being moved. I also am not sure what version of Windows will be best, any advice?
If you can wait 2 months Haswell comes out on a new chipset. ~10% faster, but will be upgradable down the line.
You want 2x4GB of RAM (dual channel)
Buy an XFX or Cooler Master or Corsair or Seasonic PSU instead (Check OP)
Buy a dual fan custom cooler 670.
Get a Z77 motherboard so you can overclock
Get an m4 SSD or 840 Pro if possible, if not the 840 is alright (I've come around to it)
Thanks. I just thought those were part links. I wish I had the time to build one, but I just don't have the time of the patience.
It's well worth the time to do it yourself imo, there are some build videos in the OP.
Adult Legos!
Okay, so the other day I was trying to torrent and install a program, but after many attempts I kept getting the same error, (cyclic redundancy error)

So I get a new hard drive, a brand new 1.5 TB hard drive, first thing i do when i get home after installing the important windows updates was try the torrent again and it again does NOT work. I need a pro to tell me exactly what the fuck im doing wrong otherwise I just wasted a lot of $ trying to fix my shit computer =\

edit : basically i am asking how to fix the CYCLIC REDUNDANCY ERROR
Get your data off, run a chkdsk

Dead Man

If you can wait 2 months Haswell comes out on a new chipset. ~10% faster, but will be upgradable down the line.
You want 2x4GB of RAM (dual channel)
Buy an XFX or Cooler Master or Corsair or Seasonic PSU instead (Check OP)
Buy a dual fan custom cooler 670.
Get a Z77 motherboard so you can overclock
Get an m4 SSD or 840 Pro if possible, if not the 840 is alright (I've come around to it)

Thanks. Total noob question upcoming, why is dual channel better?

Toski

Guess I'll post my prospective build:

Case: CM Storm Trooper
GPU: Gigabyte 7970 GHz Edition (managed to get 1175 mhz core clock w/ 1675 mem clock in catalyst 13.2, seemed stable in Starcraft II lol, could probably clock higher)
CPU: Probably an i7 4770k
Motherboard: Probably an Asus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB-1600 Low Profile
HDD:none
SSD:Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
PSU: 2 year old Corsair TX850
ODD: Whatever is in my Asus CG

I might add an M4 512GB if I feel like it.

Sorry for some reason I can't quote you, but I already have run a check disk and it brought back no errors. Is it possible that my low amount of RAM might be the problem?

AkIRA_22

Gaming 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) 1
Video Editing 1
HD Streaming 4
3D/Model work 1
General Usage 4

PCBuild_zpsc5c21579.png

Take out the monitor and you have the PC of your dreams.

So I just got a budget of 1200 to order a PC. I'm looking at buying from ibuypower, but before I pull the trigger I curious if there is a similar site or better one. I like the customizability of the build, but shipping looks crazy.

I haven't bought anything from anyone yet, but I have done some research. Check out AVA Direct and NCIX (both mentioned in the OP). I'm leaning towards AVA Direct right now, for my system. NCIX USA doesn't do PC assembly, by the way. If you decide to buy from them, you would have to go through NCIX Canada. They'll ship anywhere as long as you have a Paypal account with a confirmed home address.

Any help appreciated.

Set CPU ratio to per core. That will allow you to disable turbo boost and hopefully get past 38 multipliyer.

MedIC86

How do CPU review embargo's usually work? will we see haswell reviews in the last week of may for example, or will they show up after launch.

If you can, try running on dvi/vga/or display port if available. Install drivers, set resolution/refresh rate in windows and then go back to using hdmi.

Tried multiple hdmi cables. Also tried plugging the PC into my Yamaha receiver.

I think my best bet is to get a dirt cheap monitor.

No beeps or error leds on your mobo that would indicated the video card might not be seated all the way? I'd try reseating the card before you go out and buy a monitor.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Ps thanks to those who offered help but I really need some sleep.

Really hope this works out tomorrow. The power button on the case is not doing anything nor is the power button/reset buttons on the MB.

Maybe I just did not plug something in.

cjsnapp

Neo Member
I've been running 2 GTX 460's (768mb version) for a while now and am thinking of grabbing a GTX 680. I was wanting to get some of GAF's opinions on this. Should I make the jump? Should I wait a bit for the price of the 680's to drop a little?

I also recently upgraded to an i5 3570k.

Dave_6

FINALLY going to order the rest of my components today or tomorrow!

MSI MPower mobo
Seasonic M12II 620
Corsair H60
WD 1TB HD

Also have to get Windows 7, a controller and an optical drive then the fun (and troubleshooting) begins!

kharma45

I've been running 2 GTX 460's (768mb version) for a while now and am thinking of grabbing a GTX 680. I was wanting to get some of GAF's opinions on this. Should I make the jump? Should I wait a bit for the price of the 680's to drop a little?

I also recently upgraded to an i5 3570k.

There is nothing in the near future that I can see dropping 680 prices unless Titan Jr. has some sort of effect on it.

I have a crap CPU, so im going to buy a new one, which one should I get?

i5 3.4 or i7 3.5? there seems to be 100€ difference bwtween the two.

Which models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom