• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

It'll handle the videos just fine. Hell upgrade the video card and you have a computer that would game just fine at moderate resolutions. Even without an upgrade, my old computer was a Q6600 with a 4850 and it would play 1080p bluray rips without any issues at all.

Artanisix

Installed a coolermaster 212 evo the other day. All I can say is that the instructions included with the item are terrible. At least my temps are nice now.

It'll handle the videos just fine. Hell upgrade the video card and you have a computer that would game just fine at moderate resolutions. Even without an upgrade, my old computer was a Q6600 with a 4850 and it would play 1080p bluray rips without any issues at all.

Yeah, my computer at the start of the generation was a Q6600 and an 8800GT, so I figured I'd be okay. The 2 gigs of ram just seems so crazy low to me now that it had me worried. I have a long ass DVI-HDMI cable going from my gaming computer to the TV for when I want to play on the big screen.

I was thinking of replacing my standalone media player with this. I could probably sell the player for enough to get another hard drive, which would be nice. Wife has the entire series of I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, and the like on DVD and wants those extra features. So that shit takes massive amounts of space.

RavenHawk

I'm running at 1920 x 1080.

To be honest I've never had the core voltage available in Afterburner. Not sure why. Those are the default values though, I ran the tests on stock.

The bottom line is that Afterburner may not play well with your card. I know you mentioned that you had GPU-Z so let's go a different direction. This may take a bit of time on your part, but at least you should be able to see some results, or at least determine if your card is faulty.

1. Open up GPU-Z and then download and run Sapphire's Trixx software and make sure that you hit reset then apply so that you are at stock settings. See if you get a core voltage reading (will be in overclocking section). Trixx should report the "stock" voltage that your card is designed for, not what it is currently idling at (GPU-Z will show that figure).
  2. Leave Trixx and GPU-Z open and run the same benchmark. See if GPU-Z is showing any variation on the core clock speed or if it is a constant 925. If it shows spikes between the two speeds, assuming it functions like other cards I have seen, then we know it is "boosting".
  3. Regardless of what the results were for the above steps, since you said your clock "boosts" to 975, increase the core speed (leave the memory alone for now) to 975 then scroll down and put the Board Power Limiter to +20% (should be all the way to the right). This is the value that you will need to overclock your card. Without it, it will just throttle between stock (925) and your overclock setting (assuming your card is "boosting" like it should.
  4. Run the benchmark again (yeah, I know), and check GPU-Z to see if the core ran a steady 975. If it did, then we know that your card is capable of overclocking, and you can continue to adjust the core until you either reach your limit, are content, or the card is getting too hot. If the speed still shows 925, then you may have a dud of a card, and need to start troubleshooting.

*NOTE* The Tahiti 7870s tend to run hot, so keep an eye on your temps when overclocking.

Let me know the results from above, and then we can (hopefully) work on your overclock some more.

Colin.

I can vouch for that. I'm still running a Q6600 and it handles 1080p without a hitch. Since you wont be running full Windows, then 2gb should be fine as well. A new GPU would be something to consider perhaps though.

plainr_

You mean FT03-Mini? Looks like it would require modifying the case.

Isn't the FT03 Mini basically a SG05/SG06 on the inside? If so, the Titan fits after you cut a rectangle off the front of the chassis. I had a Titan in there briefly. I felt it was overkill for my HDTV, so that went back in the desktop rig and the I popped in a 7870 LE which is the same size as the Titan. 10.5".

SRTtoZ

Hey sexy GAF, I just built a new computer for the first time since Half Life 2 came out and id like to know if a 680gtx is good enough to get me by or if I should upgrade and go SLI. I mainly want to be prepared for BF4 and whatever else is on the horizon. I game single monitor 1080p, no 3d or anything like that.

Hey sexy GAF, I just built a new computer for the first time since Half Life 2 came out and id like to know if a 680gtx is good enough to get me by or if I should upgrade and go SLI. I mainly want to be prepared for BF4 and whatever else is on the horizon. I game single monitor 1080p, no 3d or anything like that.

Bad time to be trying to "prepare for the future". Get a mid range card since the new consoles are coming soon and we have no idea how that will effect the level of their wave of games. Unless of course you have the money to burn, the go right ahead and get sli 680s or a titan.

Isn't the FT03 Mini basically a SG05/SG06 on the inside? If so, the Titan fits after you cut a rectangle off the front of the chassis. I had a Titan in there briefly. I felt it was overkill for my HDTV, so that went back in the desktop rig and the I popped in a 7870 LE which is the same size as the Titan. 10.5".

I meant 03 yeah.

Do you have a picture of where you cut out?

I have a TJ08-E atm but i want to downsize just that bit more.

I'm both lazy and poor, yet I need a new PC. I was thinking of going for this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/443465-zoostorm-gaming-desktop-pc-7873-0453

Is there anything particularly awful about it? The price seems reasonable (buying the parts separately doesn't seem much cheaper).

[EDIT] I won't be doing an abundance of gaming on it, i'm mainly interested in strategy titles (Starcraft II, Planetary Annihilation when it comes out) and indie titles. I haven't had a gaming capable PC for several years so I'm largely content to just catch up on what I've missed.

As always, probably better to self-build, but £450 doesn't look too bad and from a quick glance at other outlets it seems competitive.

You'd be best looking at some benchmarks of titles you play and see where the i3 3220 falls.

So I just bought an ASUS GTX 680 brand new on ebay for £354 with postage. I didn't expect to win the auction with one bid :p Quite happy with it saved a good £50 or so.

HoosTrax

The CM Storm Spawn mouse is only $27 with $10 rebate right now!

Okay, I can't pass this up now. Time to upgrade from my Xornet. Unless anyone thinks Sensei Raw is a better choice.
As someone who trails their pinky on their desk and sometimes uses that finger for leverage to push the mouse, I think that groove on the right side of the mouse would drive me nuts. I've handled it in Microcenter as well. It's a shame, because I'm always on the lookout for a gaming grade small mouse. My personal favorite so far is a gripless Logitech G9 and G9x (owned both, upgrade to a G9x after accidentially killing the G9). The Razer Orochi turned out to be a disappointment.

As someone who trails their pinky on their desk and sometimes uses that finger for leverage to push the mouse, I think that groove on the right side of the mouse would drive me nuts. I've handled it in Microcenter as well. It's a shame, because I'm always on the lookout for a gaming grade small mouse. My personal favorite so far is a gripless Logitech G9 and G9x (owned both, upgrade to a G9x after accidentially killing the G9). The Razer Orochi turned out to be a disappointment.
Very, very interesting you mention this because that is the only part of the mouse I cannot deal with very well...
it took me a long time just to get used to it.

Also, I was looking into the G9x as well! I May get the call of duty edition (lol) and go gripless. I appreciate you letting me know the naked g9x is indeed an option, I saw lots of starcraft pros using it too.

brentech

i personally thought it would bother me as well, but I got it like 10 off on amazon and now using anything else is weird. It turns out to be a very natural hand position.

So I went with the corsair sp120 'quite edition' fan for my 212 evo after the stock fan was rattling. Holy shite this thing is so much more quite, and it has dropped max CPU temps under load by 3-4 degrees. Thanks for the recommendations.

Demon Ice

Banned
So I went with the corsair sp120 'quite edition' fan for my 212 evo after the stock fan was rattling. Holy shite this thing is so much more quite, and it has dropped max CPU temps under load by 3-4 degrees. Thanks for the recommendations.

quite.jpeg

Bleeether

I just got a SteelSeries Sensei [raw]. My only complaint is that i accidentally got the glossy version. It's a finger print magnet..... I'm gonna have to return it to get the rubberized version that i wanted.

knitoe

Sorry to nudge in on this thread, but im suffering SSD issues with my pc, ivep osted in the techsupportGAF thread and havent had a reply and would like to hear some peoples take on my issue before i go home and just format my drive.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54395748&postcount=4727

If you don't mind.

What's the model of your SSD? Sounds like and issue with your SSD, but first, rule out your ram by testing with Memtest. Next, try updating the SSD firmware.

Very, very interesting you mention this because that is the only part of the mouse I cannot deal with very well...
it took me a long time just to get used to it.

Also, I was looking into the G9x as well! I May get the call of duty edition (lol) and go gripless. I appreciate you letting me know the naked g9x is indeed an option, I saw lots of starcraft pros using it too.

G9x MW3 version here, you cant argue with the price difference. It was between that and the cm storm spawn. The $10 rebate might have swayed me other way but I am happy with the g9x. The precision grip feels the most natural to me. Overall I am very pleased with this mouse, but keep in mind their are only 2 side buttons total.

Wow that is a great price...! How is the weight of the clicks? Are they light?
And can someone tell me if clicks for the g9x are soft too?

The clicks are crisp with just enough weight, very nice.

I cant say the same for the scroll wheel click though, it takes too much force imo.

snack

So guys...

Should I get the C70 ($99)? Or 600T ($145)? Trying to justify whether the 45 dollar price difference is worth it.

MedIC86

So guys...

Should I get the C70 ($99)? Or 600T ($145)? Trying to justify whether the 45 dollar price difference is worth it.

I cant comment on the C70, but i have a white 600t and i absolutly love it, very spacious (for size of the case) and its has some nice features (dust filters, and good layout)

Do you guys think Intel will be using LGA 1155 for a while?

I want to get a 3750k with the hope that until its time to build a new PC again hopefully 5+ years down the road I can just upgrade my graphics card and processor to hold me off. That obviously wont work if their new chips are a different socket.

Addnan

I want to get a 3750k with the hope that until its time to build a new PC again hopefully 5+ years down the road I can just upgrade my graphics card and processor to hold me off. That obviously wont work if their new chips are a different socket.
Haswell is using a different socket. Out in June.

snack

Haswell will be on a completely new socket (LGA 1150), breaking backwards compatibility.

mkenyon

Banned
Anybody that has the Steeleries Sensei does your right mousebutton feel 'clickier' than the left?
Nope.
How is the 600T in terms of dust control?
Bad, it's set up of negative air pressure. It's nearly impossible to keep clean despite the filters.
Rock solid. You should get a 120hz monitor though.
So guys...

C70 is a better case. Define R4 and Arc Midi R2 are better than the C70 though. If you like the aesthetic of the C70, then you certainly aren't making a bad choice. It was in the OP case suggestion list until the PC-7HX and Arc Midi R2 bumped it out.

snack

Nope.

Bad, it's set up of negative air pressure. It's nearly impossible to keep clean despite the filters.

Rock solid. You should get a 120hz monitor though.

C70 is a better case. Define R4 and Arc Midi R2 are better than the C70 though. If you like the aesthetic of the C70, then you certainly aren't making a bad choice. It was in the OP case suggestion list until the PC-7HX and Arc Midi R2 bumped it out.

I see. What about the CM Stryker and its dust control? Basically anything all white and I'm all eyes and ears for it. lol

MedIC86

Err what? whats your setup then? i removed the front fan and replaced them on other places with noctua, i have zero dust in my 600t (since the 2 years i have it).

mkenyon

Banned
Err what? whats your setup then? i removed the front fan and replaced them on other places with noctua, i have zero dust in my 600t (since the 2 years i have it).
Setups I've tried in the 600T:

Stock
Front Spectre Pro 200mm intake, top 2x120 exhaust, rear 120 exhaust
Front 2x120 (have to cut the case for this) intake, top 2x120 exhaust, rear 120 exhaust
Front 2x120 exhaust, rear 120 exhaust, top 3x120 (had to cut the case for this) intake

Never found a way to achieve temps that were otherwise a piece of cake in any other case. Having the front only accept 200mm fans unless you significantly mod it was a terrible decision, as there aren't any good 200mm fans. It's definitely an outdated case.

Top it off with the fact that the stock fans are absolutely terrible, and you take the already outrageous price and increase it over levels of truly magnificent cases like the FT02, PC-A75X, Switch 810, Stryker, etc.
I see. What about the CM Stryker and its dust control? Basically anything all white and I'm all eyes and ears for it. lol
How about a Define R4 white?

Pics of my old one (now belongs to Nekura):

The Stryker is good too though. Same with the Scout II, and the C70. Those are all solid choices.

MedIC86

Setups I've tried in the 600T:

Stock
Front Spectre Pro 200mm intake, top 2x120 exhaust, rear 120 exhaust
Front 2x120 (have to cut the case for this) intake, top 2x120 exhaust, rear 120 exhaust
Front 2x120 exhaust, rear 120 exhaust, top 3x120 (had to cut the case for this) intake

Never found a way to achieve temps that were otherwise a piece of cake in any other case. Having the front only accept 200mm fans unless you significantly mod it was a terrible decision, as there aren't any good 200mm fans. It's definitely an outdated case.

Aha, well i use watercooling so temps are no prob.

I'm thinking of upgrading my NVIDIA GTX 460 768mb card. I can still play a lot of games on high but I'm starting to notice some chug and it has been frustrating not being able to take advantage of the ultra settings in some games.

Processor is an i5-2500k 3.30 ghz if that matters at all.

Anything good for $300 or under?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom